Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't entirely sure where to put this. I didn't intend it to be a "mental health" question, so I didn't want to put it in that section...

Throughout scripture, we are told that there are some killings that are justified. IE: capital punishment. So, along that same line of thinking, are there ever exceptions to suicide? There are people, for example, who are eaten up with cancer that just want to put an end to it.

Please, only serious answers. This isn't meant to be a joke.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On the sin question, I am leaning to yes because of the nature of Faith etc. It is the ultimate expression of not having Faith in God etc. And yes I have had plenty of my share of contemplating such things myself.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't entirely sure where to put this. I didn't intend it to be a "mental health" question, so I didn't want to put it in that section...

Throughout scripture, we are told that there are some killings that are justified. IE: capital punishment. So, along that same line of thinking, are there ever exceptions to suicide? There are people, for example, who are eaten up with cancer that just want to put an end to it.

Scripture is unclear. Judas took his life out of remorse for his sin. One would think he repented as he was grief stricken yet scripture has Him labeled as the
" son of perdition". Blessings.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus risked his life exposing and opposing corruption. This was not suicide.

Some do not want to be kept on prolonged life support such as in a coma or with feeding tubes. They had lawyers make living wills for themselves. This is not suicide.

There should be a better way than suicide.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And God spake all these words, saying,

Deuteronomy 5:17
‘You shall not murder.

suicide = murder

1 John 1:9 King James Version
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

dead individuals cannot confess their sins and there is no such thing as asking forgiveness before the act as there is no repentance because you do the act

draw your own conclusion because GOD is the final judge

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh really, another one of these insensitive threads where people sit on Gods throne and judge the heart of others.
Heaven will be pretty empty if the only way there is to confess every sin and be perfect before you die. I sure hope some of you dont have a car crash or heart attack etc before repentance of any sin you may have done. Like for example being arrogant and assuming another's personal pain and whether they were worthy of the blood shed on the cross .
No one but GOD has the right to state who goes home to him and who doesn't . No one but GOD knows the final cries and hearts pain before suicide. Suicide is a sin but it isnt the unforgivable sin.
All these threads do is show me who to block, who thinks they are above Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟86,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh really, another one of these insensitive threads where people sit on Gods throne and judge the heart of others.
Heaven will be pretty empty if the only way there is to confess every sin before you die. I sure hope some of you dont have a car crash or heart attack etc before repentance of any sin you may have done. Like for example being arrogant and assuming another's personal pain and whether they were worthy of the blood shed on the cross .
No one but GOD has the right to state who goes home to him and who doesn't . No one but GOD knows the final cries and hearts pain before suicide. Suicide is a sin but it isnt the unforgivable sin.
I'm just sorry that I can only give this post one thumbs up.

Oh, and by the way, Saul committed suicide.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus risked his life exposing and opposing corruption. This was not suicide.

Some do not want to be kept on prolonged life support such as in a coma or with feeding tubes. They had lawyers make living wills for themselves. This is not suicide.

There should be a better way than suicide.
Yes, there is a better way.
Thank God for the life that He has given us.
Do as much good as we can, and use what we are given to help others.
Accept the trials as they come, day by day.
If we do these things each day, then the temptation to commit suicide has no hold over us.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist

Like the name.

You are posting in an area of the forum that is open to non-believers such as myself. This means you will get non-religious answers. If you self report your post, the moderators can move your thread to a Christians Only subforum.

I have some exposure to people with suicidal tendencies. Without exception, they were born with mental imbalances. It is a chemical imbalance problem.

If in a hypothetical case the individual succeeded in taking his/her life, I'd have major problems with a god that would punish something like this.

Upvote 0

Heather Grey

Heather Grey – Just Another Shade
Jan 10, 2021
Wadesboro
✟8,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

‘You shall not murder.

suicide = murder

1 John 1:9 King James Version
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

dead individuals cannot confess their sins and there is no such thing as asking forgiveness before the act as there is no repentance because you do the act

draw your own conclusion because GOD is the final judge

All murder is killing, but NOT all killing is murder; such as in capital punishment. Thus, how can we say all "suicide" is murder and that it's never a "justified killing"?

Furthermore, as another poster pointed out, suicide is NOT the "unforgivable sin". You said, "you can't 'repent' after suicide". Well, if you died a natural death right now, HOW many "un-repented sins" would you have on your slate? Huh? No one can remember every sin they committed in order to "ask forgiveness". Also, it isn't the "asking forgiveness" that gets on Saved in the first place.

"Whosoever believeth in me shall not perish...". I'm sure there are plenty of people that committed suicide that truly believed in Jesus; but in a moment of despair, they "gave up". No human is immune to the weaknesses of the flesh. We ALL remain sinners until we die. NO exceptions.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

The ONLY unforgivable sin is: if a person dies and has not become a child of Jesus. It's that simple. He paid the price for all other sins. If this was not the case, then Jesus died in vain and we'd ALL go to hell.

No disrespect, but you did NOT answer my question. All you did was quote a couple scriptures of which I referred to in my question.

I will not read any further responses from you. You're a typical person who thinks you're the "expert" and everyone else is "beneath you".

• Friendly
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heather Grey

Heather Grey – Just Another Shade
Jan 10, 2021
Wadesboro
✟8,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Heaven will be pretty empty if the only way there is to confess every sin and be perfect before you die. I sure hope some of you dont have a car crash or heart attack etc before repentance of any sin you may have done. Like for example being arrogant and assuming another's personal pain and whether they were worthy of the blood shed on the cross .

Thank you!

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We who remain on Earth cannot know what was in the heart of someone who kills himself. There exist certain mental illnesses that can make a person unable to act with conscious control. If a person is not aware of the seriousness of what they are doing, they are not culpable for those actions in the same way as someone who is in full command of his mind. Also there is this: A person may initiate a suicide, but before they die, they might repent of the act after it is too late to prevent their death. We should not place limits on God's mercy to those who cry out to him, and after a person has died, there is no way we can tell if they did repent of their act and ask forgiveness. There is just a lot that we don't know. What we can say is that under normal circumstances, where a person with full knowledge and consent and in his right mind takes his life, that person has sinned. But we can never be sure if any specific case is "normal circumstances." God knows. We don't.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

There is far too much hype around this subject, and scripture does not state directly that suicide is a sin.
Our life is ours to do with as we choose, even if that means doing stupid things like suicide.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
On the sin question, I am leaning to yes because of the nature of Faith etc. It is the ultimate expression of not having Faith in God etc. And yes I have had plenty of my share of contemplating such things myself.
No.
Suicide has nothing to do with lack of faith in God. In many cases, it could be an expression of that faith.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Scripture is unclear. Judas took his life out of remorse for his sin. One would think he repented as he was grief stricken yet scripture has Him labeled as the
" son of perdition". Blessings.
Judas's repentance was merely wishing he hadn't betrayed Jesus. That is not the same as repentance towards God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

‘You shall not murder.

suicide = murder
To claim that suicide is murder makes a mockery of what Jesus said.-
Jesus said Jn15v13Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

Our life is our own to do with as we choose, even if that means stupidly killing ourselves.
The notion that somehow Suicide is an unforgiveable sin is shear mythology rooted on Catholicism.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Like the name.

You are posting in an area of the forum that is open to non-believers such as myself. This means you will get non-religious answers. If you self report your post, the moderators can move your thread to a Christians Only subforum.
If the mods do shift this thread, I hope they don't delete your comment as it makes more sense than the Christian ones.
I have some exposure to people with suicidal tendencies. Without exception, they were born with mental imbalances. It is a chemical imbalance problem.

If in a hypothetical case the individual succeeded in taking his/her life, I'd have major problems with a god that would punish something like this.
From a believer to an unbeliever.
Judging by some of the religious foolery expressed here, you seem to have a better perception of God than the believers!

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
If the mods do shift this thread, I hope they don't delete your comment as it makes more sense than the Christian ones.

From a believer to an unbeliever.
Judging by some of the religious foolery expressed here, you seem to have a better perception of God than the believers!
Thank you

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sin is sin and all have sinned .... God looks at the heart ... we can't understand the heart ... we don't know it ... we really don't know who is or is not saved (we don't know secret things) ... judgement is totally up to Jesus and He is just and righteous in His judgement and we trust in Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.