Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I do however understand why you would say that about love as it would destroy your theology of tongues to accept it as what it is, a feeling/emotion.

It is not clear what you are saying here, but if you are continuing with your idea that love is an emotion (despite the Greek not meaning an emotion at all), then you are incorrect about your assessment of my theology of tongues. My theology and that of every theologian who has tackled the subject that I can recall has had nothing to do with emotions.

That is not to say that tongues is not an emotional experience, but that would be true of any experience of God in our lives.

Actually, Love is one of the hardest things to understand no matter where you are. Yes it's an emotion, for you feel good when you love someone. I also think it's a choice, because AFTER we love someone, THEN we choose to say I forgive you because I love you and not the other way around.

Your theology of love is skewed badly. It indicates that you don't understand either the word 'love' as used by the New Testament, nor the God who loves.

It is true that you feel good when you love someone, but the loving comes first, the emotion second. The emotion is the consequence of loving another person or God. And the emotion is not necessary, nor is it guaranteed. It is entirely possible to love someone, forgive them and still have no emotion towards them, not even liking them.

If you enforce emotion on to love as it is biblically used, you make God an emotional being which makes him more like humans - acting on the whims of emotion not because it is necessary.

But you believe as you wish in order to keep your theology of tongues in tact.

It seems to me that you are the one believing what you want in order to keep your theology of tongues (cessationist) intact. You are demanding that love cannot be perfect because it is an emotion... yet Biblical love is not an emotion and clearly referred to as perfect elsewhere (1 John). You are then imposing upon the text an ulterior motive that is not mentioned anywhere in the New Testament (completion of the Canon), forcing Paul to interrupt his thoughts on the Holy Spirit and Love in worship to mention something of no relevance to the text, nor to the Corinthians, nor to rest of Christianity for almost 150 years.

I urge you to stop using eisegesis and start reading the books of the Bible for what they actually say, not what you would like them to say.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure that you have gotten the order of things right. I agree that one should pray, but you are on dodgy ground if you put watching videos ahead of reading the scriptures.

One should read the scriptures, draw conclusions and the test and approve the word against what one sees... and one sees people speaking in tongues... possibly incorrectly, but they ARE speaking in tongues. So speaking in tongues has clearly not ceased.

I would say that the "Faked speaking in tongues has not ceased".

A picture is worth 1000 words when one will not accept what they read!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Was there anyone interpreting what was being said?

Was there only TWO speaking at a time?

Were these saved girls?

1 Corinthians 14:27.........
"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two or at the most by three, and then in turn, and ONE MUST interpret."

1 Cor. 14:22........
"Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers.........."

Paul is CLEARLY saying that the purpose of speaking in tongues is to be a sign, a proof of sorts, to the unbeliever. Therefore, there is no reason for a group of believers to be speaking in tongues in this way to one another, for they already believe and do not need a miraculous sign.

Paul's point is more about how the stranger perceives them from the outside. Improper tongues looks crazy, and confusing and makes the person appear mad.(Insane- Pauls words not mine).

Also if the tongues spoken of by Paul to the Corinthians was the type of ecstatic, religious experience "Glossolalia" that was common among pagan (including Greeks of Corinth) religions, then the meaning is further enhanced. Such tongues serve no purpose to a nonbeliever and even serve to turn them away, and that is exactly what is going on in churches today.

You see, this is the problem. The Bible gives clear, understandable directions, but because we do not like them we rationalize IT AND say OK..... ANYTHING DONE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO.

So IF you want to speak in gibberish such as was seen in the video, go right ahead and do so, BUT you can not in any way claim that what you are doing is Biblical!

He has me on ignore, so he says.

What he doesn't realize is there are two kinds of tongues, the sign (Mark 16) and the gift (1 Corinthians 12). We pray and praise in tongues, and just as on the Day of Pentecost with 120 praising God all at the same time, the requirement of 2 or 3 does not apply. That requirement, or limitation, is only for in a church meeting where one receives a message from God in tongues that needs to be heard by all, thus the gift of interpretation of supernatural tongues is required for the benefit of all. At the end of chapter 12 it says, not everyone has this gift of the Spirit to receive messages, or to interpret. But ALL who have the Spirit of God in them are able to speak in tongues for their own edification. Just as God wants us to pray for the saints, but aren't always aware of what is needed, God has given us this gift to pray God's perfect will. That is to everyone who believes, just as Mark 16:16-18 says.

The sign to an unbeliever is not a positive sign as Major1 erroneously thinks. It is a negative sign of judgment. He has been told all this before, but his unbelief has blinded him to even investigate to see if this is true. We all need to pray for him to be delivered of this deceptive spirit. Please join me.

I am a teacher and have written a book on tongues. Please pass the above teaching on to him.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When people speak in tongues, sometimes every word is different. That would be intellectually challenging to fake. Pagan tongues, were they fake too?

The tongues spoken today are gibberish and can not be translated as they are NOT languages at all.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
He has me on ignore, so he says.

What he doesn't realize is there are two kinds of tongues, the sign (Mark 16) and the gift (1 Corinthians 12). We pray and praise in tongues, and just as on the Day of Pentecost with 120 praising God all at the same time, the requirement of 2 or 3 does not apply. That requirement, or limitation, is only for in a church meeting where one receives a message from God in tongues that needs to be heard by all, thus the gift of interpretation of supernatural tongues is required for the benefit of all. At the end of chapter 12 it says, not everyone has this gift of the Spirit to receive messages, or to interpret. But ALL who have the Spirit of God in them are able to speak in tongues for their own edification. Just as God wants us to pray for the saints, but aren't always aware of what is needed, God has given us this gift to pray God's perfect will. That is to everyone who believes, just as Mark 16:16-18 says.

The sign to an unbeliever is not a positive sign as Major1 erroneously thinks. It is a negative sign of judgment. He has been told all this before, but his unbelief has blinded him to even investigate to see if this is true. We all need to pray for him to be delivered of this deceptive spirit. Please join me.

I am a teacher and have written a book on tongues. Please pass the above teaching on to him.

There are not 2 types of tongues. The Corinthian gift of tongues was also prayer and praise TO God (1 Cor 14:13-15). Nowhere in 1 Corinthians or anywhere else in scripture does it say tongues were messages FROM God. And prayers in tongues still had to be interpreted otherwise the others wouldn't be able to say "Amen" to the prayer (v16). All tongues spoken in church must be interpreted and limited to 2 or 3 speakers only. Paul made no exceptions.

Even if the long ending of Mark 16 is taken as genuine (most commentators beleive it is not), it does not say every believer would be able to speak in tongues, pick up deadly snakes, drink poison, and heal people. Read the text carefully. It says those were miraculous signs that would accompany the body of believers (as a group v17, not individually as was v16) in order to authenticate the gospel message they taught and so aid it's rapid spread throughout the world - v20 "the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed." That promise was fulfilled in the apostolic age. If, from this passage, you say all believers today can speak in tongues, then they must also be able to pick up deadly snakes and drink poison without harm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There are not 2 types of tongues. The Corinthian gift of tongues was also prayer and praise TO God (1 Cor 14:13-15). Nowhere in 1 Corinthians or anywhere else in scripture does it say tongues were messages FROM God. And prayers in tongues still had to be interpreted otherwise the others wouldn't be able to say "Amen" to the prayer (v16). All tongues spoken in church must be interpreted and limited to 2 or 3 speakers only. Paul made no exceptions.

Even if the long ending of Mark 16 is taken as genuine (most commentators beleive it is not), it does not say every believer would be able to speak in tongues, pick up deadly snakes, drink poison, and heal people. Read the text carefully. It says those were miraculous signs that would accompany the body of believers (as a group v17, not individually as was v16) in order to authenticate the gospel message they taught and so aid it's rapid spread throughout the world - v20 "the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed." That promise was fulfilled in the apostolic age. If, from this passage, you say all believers today can speak in tongues, then they must also be able to pick up deadly snakes and drink poison without harm.

Exactly. I was bitten by a brown recluse spider and stood on the promise of not being harmed, and I wasn't. But you must have faith to stand on God's Word, and the promises therein. Paul was not harmed by the deadly sea snake that bit him, and if God can protect him as part of our covenant, then we can also enjoy that assurance. And if you think it is only for teachers of the gospel, well you can believe that I won't be harmed. You, yourself, being on this forum are bold in your beliefs, right or wrong. You can stand on these promises as well. Ask yourself if you have that kind of faith, or not. If not, then you are clueless to the phenomenal magnitude of the power of our God.

Mark 16 is not talking about presumptuously picking up deadly snakes and presumptuously drinking poison. To such, Jesus says,"Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." So anyone who thinks that is what Mark 16 is claiming, doesn't know the warnings. And anyone who scoffs as so happens by you and others, probably doesn't know the protection God gives His children who trust in Him, those who don't do so to their possible peril. God will not be mocked.

You say nowhere does it talk of messages from God. But yes it does. vs. 6 answers the "UNLESS HE INTERPRETS of verse 5. "Revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching ARE the messages from God! Seeing as the prayer language sign does not require interpretation; obviously this is talking of the gift of tongues with the gift of interpretation of tongues. Both supernatural, but are limited in their use, unlike our prayer language. And in case you believe the unscriptural notion that interpretation of tongues is interpreting natural tongues as I've been flabbergated hearing being taught, not supernatural tongues, you are just as grossly mistaken, but I hope someday you care care to ask God what is the truth. He will teach you if your heart is soft and pliable. But if you are stiff-necked as the Pharisees, you need to break up your fallow ground.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly. I was bitten by a brown recluse spider and stood on the promise of not being harmed, and I wasn't. But you must have faith to stand on God's Word, and the promises therein. Paul was not harmed by the deadly sea snake that bit him, and if God can protect him as part of our covenant, then we can also enjoy that assurance. And if you think it is only for teachers of the gospel, well you can believe that I won't be harmed. You, yourself, being on this forum are bold in your beliefs, right or wrong. You can stand on these promises as well. Ask yourself if you have that kind of faith, or not. If not, then you are clueless to the phenomenal magnitude of the power of our God.

So the children in that video had more faith than the giants of Christianity such as Calvin, Luther, Spurgeon, Moody, Wesley, Whitfield, etc who never spoke in tongues?

And the new Gentile converts in Cornelius household were somehow able to muster up faith to speak in tongues even though they had never even heard of speaking in tongues before?

If millions of charismatics and pentecostals can muster up sufficient faith to speak in tongues why aren't millions of them also immune from deadly snake bites and drinking poison? Oh and I looked up that spider that bit you. It's bite is nowhere near fatal. It says their bites "sometimes requires medical attention" with over half not showing no systemic effects at all. So you can hardly claim your faith saved you from harm, let alone death.

Clearly the notion of having sufficient faith before you can speak in tongues is nonsense. Mark 16 says nothing about mustering up enough faith before you can perform such abilities. You are eisegetically adding to scripture. It says "These signs will accompany those who have believed...". There is no other condition apart from believing the gospel. If people don't speak in tongues it is because the Holy Spirit has not given them that ability, not because they have insufficient faith.

The fact that the long ending of Mark 16 is disputed is reason alone not to draw any theology from those verses without support from other scriptures. And even then it does not say that every believer can speak in tongues as you claim. It says those signs would accompany the body of believers as a whole, not each one individually.

You say nowhere does it talk of messages from God. But yes it does. vs. 6 answers the "UNLESS HE INTERPRETS of verse 5. "Revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching ARE the messages from God!

Paul is not saying he taught people in tongues! You have completely misunderstood that verse. He is saying that he would not be profitable to them unless he prophesied or taught them....in a language they understood. The unprofitable tongues he is referring to is uninterpreted tongues - read the very next verse: "Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp? For if the bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle? So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken?"

Seeing as the prayer language sign does not require interpretation; obviously this is talking of the gift of tongues with the gift of interpretation of tongues. Both supernatural, but are limited in their use, unlike our prayer language.

But prayers in tongues are also to be interpreted. See 1 Cor 14:13-17. If you are now saying these prayers are the gift of tongues, then you have contradicted yourself as you said the gift of tongues was only messages FROM God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So the children in that video had more faith than the giants of Christianity such as Calvin, Luther, Spurgeon, Moody, Wesley, Whitfield, etc who never spoke in tongues?

And the new Gentile converts in Cornelius household were somehow able to muster up faith to speak in tongues even though they had never even heard of speaking in tongues before?

If millions of charismatics and pentecostals can muster up sufficient faith to speak in tongues why aren't millions of them also immune from deadly snake bites and drinking poison? Oh and I looked up that spider that bit you. It's bite is nowhere near fatal. It says their bites "sometimes requires medical attention" with over half not showing no systemic effects at all. So you can hardly claim your faith saved you from harm, let alone death.

Clearly the notion of having sufficient faith before you can speak in tongues is nonsense. Mark 16 says nothing about mustering up enough faith before you can perform such abilities. You are eisegetically adding to scripture. It says "These signs will accompany those who have believed...". There is no other condition apart from believing the gospel. If people don't speak in tongues it is because the Holy Spirit has not given them that ability, not because they have insufficient faith.

The fact that the long ending of Mark 16 is disputed is reason alone not to draw any theology from those verses without support from other scriptures. And even then it does not say that every believer can speak in tongues as you claim. It says those signs would accompany the body of believers as a whole, not each one individually.

Paul is not saying he taught people in tongues! You have completely misunderstood that verse. He is saying that he would not be profitable to them unless he prophesied or taught them....in a language they understood. The unprofitable tongues he is referring to is uninterpreted tongues - read the very next verse: "Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp? For if the bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle? So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken?"

But prayers in tongues are also to be interpreted. See 1 Cor 14:13-17. If you are now saying these prayers are the gift of tongues, then you have contradicted yourself as you said the gift of tongues was only messages FROM God.

Just so you know, I didn't watch the video you mentioned.

The household of Cornelius had never been bound in unbelief from the Cessationists we have today. They had the faith of children, which is what is needed.

Of your list, only Calvin was a Cessationist. I don't know about Whitfield, but the others did believe.

The Corinthians were setting speaking in tongues above all the other gifts, which is what they were believing in error. The gift of tongues must always be interpreted, but our prayer language isn't always, but Paul was wanting to stretch them to seek the higher gifts, such as prophecy and interpretation.

I would like to ask you a question. What evidence do you have that you have been filled with the Spirit? What changes have taken place in you?

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
The household of Cornelius had never been bound in unbelief from the Cessationists we have today. They had the faith of children, which is what is needed.

The point is the Gentile converts were previously unaware of the existence of the gift; yet they spoke in tongues. They could hardly have had faith in their ability to speak in tongues when they were unaware that such a thing even existed. So the idea of mustering up sufficient faith to speak in tongues before you can do so is clearly wrong and not supported by scripture. The ability to speak in tongues was given only by the sovereign will of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12:11) - human endeavors or virtues were not part of the equation.

The gift of tongues must always be interpreted, but our prayer language isn't always,

Paul said all tongues in the congregation must be interpreted. There were no exceptions. If you are still persisting with your theory that a 'gift of tongues' (messages FROM God) is something different from a 'sign of tongues' (prayer TO God) you need to address the obvious flaws in your theory which I pointed out.

It seems to me this 'sign of tongues' invention is just a ruse to try and wriggle out of Paul's commandments concerning tongues and allow for continued charismatic malpractice of tongues (not that today's so called tongues is the true NT gift): "If you want to speak unrestricted and uninterpreted utterances in church that's fine. Just don't call it the 'gift of tongues', instead call it the 'sign of tongues' - that way Paul's commandments no longer apply!"

I would like to ask you a question. What evidence do you have that you have been filled with the Spirit? What changes have taken place in you?

First of all, being filled with the Spirit is nothing to do with speaking in tongues or having strange manifestations. There are about 15 examples of people being filled with the Spirit in Acts and only one of those involved tongues. It is not something unique to charismatics and Pentecostals. All believers are commanded to be repeatedly filled with the Spirit. It has to do with yielding our lives to the influence of the Holy Spirit. Paul contrasts it with being drunk with wine in Eph 5:18 where he says do not be under the influence of alcohol, instead be filled with the Spirit (be under the influence of the Spirit). Among other things it results in renewed love, thanksgiving and praise for God, increased sanctification, boldness in witnessing, and empowerment for Christian service. I have experienced all those things at various times.

BTW I have also been baptized with the Holy Spirit (as have all believers the moment they become Christians).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The point is the Gentile converts were previously unaware of the existence of the gift; yet they spoke in tongues. They could hardly have had faith in their ability to speak in tongues when they were unaware that such a thing even existed. So the idea of mustering up sufficient faith to speak in tongues before you can do so is clearly wrong and not supported by scripture. The ability to speak in tongues was given only by the sovereign will of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12:11) - human endeavors or virtues were not part of the equation.

Paul said all tongues in the congregation must be interpreted. There were no exceptions. If you are still persisting with your theory that a 'gift of tongues' (messages FROM God) is something different from a 'sign of tongues' (prayer TO God) you need to address the obvious flaws in your theory which I pointed out.

It seems to me this 'sign of tongues' invention is just a ruse to try and wriggle out of Paul's commandments concerning tongues and allow for continued charismatic malpractice of tongues (not that today's so called tongues is the true NT gift): "If you want to speak unrestricted and uninterpreted utterances in church that's fine. Just don't call it the 'gift of tongues', instead call it the 'sign of tongues' - that way Paul's commandments no longer apply!"

First of all, being filled with the Spirit is nothing to do with speaking in tongues or having strange manifestations. There are about 15 examples of people being filled with the Spirit in Acts and only one of those involved tongues. It is not something unique to charismatics and Pentecostals. All believers are commanded to be repeatedly filled with the Spirit. It has to do with yielding our lives to the influence of the Holy Spirit. Paul contrasts it with being drunk with wine in Eph 5:18 where he says do not be under the influence of alcohol, instead be filled with the Spirit (be under the influence of the Spirit). Among other things it results in renewed love, thanksgiving and praise for God, increased sanctification, boldness in witnessing, and empowerment for Christian service. I have experienced all those things at various times.

BTW I have also been baptized with the Holy Spirit (as have all believers the moment they become Christians).

All they needed was faith in Jesus, and being baptized in the Spirit. That is all any of us really need. But today, many are bound in unbelief. BOUND! Chained up in false doctrines of fear. Like you are. God will not force His gifts on anyone. They are abilities to help us. But if we refuse, we refuse. Many perish for lack of knowledge.

If you have been baptized with the Holy Spirit, you would know it, not just read in scripture that Christians would be. Or are you still being drawn by the Holy Spirit, and yet have never truly yielded? That is the case for many in this age of Laodecia. If you haven't been, you will still be willfully sinning. That would be the first clue.

What is your testimony?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Actually, Love is one of the hardest things to understand no matter where you are. Yes it's an emotion, for you feel good when you love someone. I also think it's a choice, because AFTER we love someone, THEN we choose to say I forgive you because I love you and not the other way around."
Major1

Actually, the Major here is right about this part of what he says...After Love is in your heart...then it will affect your flesh with emotion usually (Not always in all circumstances though). It is a choice. I used to think that love was a two-way street, but studied a bit and realized that it is not. Love is a one way street. (It's always nice if it is a two way street!!)

Your theology of love is skewed badly. It indicates that you don't understand either the word 'love' as used by the New Testament, nor the God who loves.

It is true that you feel good when you love someone, but the loving comes first, the emotion second. The emotion is the consequence of loving another person or God. And the emotion is not necessary, nor is it guaranteed. It is entirely possible to love someone, forgive them and still have no emotion towards them, not even liking them.

If you enforce emotion on to love as it is biblically used, you make God an emotional being which makes him more like humans - acting on the whims of emotion not because it is necessary.

I agree with this.

It seems to me that you are the one believing what you want in order to keep your theology of tongues (cessationist) intact. You are demanding that love cannot be perfect because it is an emotion... yet Biblical love is not an emotion and clearly referred to as perfect elsewhere (1 John). You are then imposing upon the text an ulterior motive that is not mentioned anywhere in the New Testament (completion of the Canon), forcing Paul to interrupt his thoughts on the Holy Spirit and Love in worship to mention something of no relevance to the text, nor to the Corinthians, nor to rest of Christianity for almost 150 years.

I urge you to stop using eisegesis and start reading the books of the Bible for what they actually say, not what you would like them to say.

Tongues has not ceased indeed. I spoke in tongues one time. I had heard about it, and desired it, or to know if it was true or not, or had ceased. I spoke with some different Brothers and Sisters about it, and even had a few people tell me that they could teach me how to speak in tongues...

I found that part scary and wasn't sure right away about it because...Tongues is supposed to be the Holy Spirit praying for you (since we know not, how ought we should pray...). So how could it be taught? Speaking for the Holy Spirit?! I didn't try. But I prayed about it.

And continued to pray about it...then one day while I was praying (about nothing to do with tongues) I just began speaking in tongues with no warning or anything, it just started coming out of my mouth. I knew immediately what was going on (so I stood down mentally, and just listened and waited for Holy Spirit to finish...) and realized that God was answerring my prayer about tongues and if it was real or not! The Holy Spirit finished His prayer for me (PTL!!), and so I continued my own, praising God that Holy Spirit prayed for me.

No emotion, presence of God or anything, just...deadpan. Speaking in tongues. It has not happened to me again since that one time, but further study about tongues has taught me that there are two kinds of tongues...one, where Holy Spirit prays for us, and the 2nd, when our spirit prays to God. I'm not sure yet how to get my spirit to pray in tongues though...

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Love results in emotion true.

Light conquered darkness in Hell, and love conquered hate.

The anointing is called "it" not He, in Timothy. So too light and love, see also Romans 5:5.

I say 1 Corinthians 13 is about love and not a book. But is also about revelation to come, which is light. Although the word light is not exactly used. When the perfect love comes, when Christ returns and sheds light and love, "it" will be perfect and cover the whole Earth of people. Then the gifts will be out shone like candles at midday, and cease. The anointing will have a a new phase in persons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do YOU tell the difference between speaking in tongues and faked speaking in tongues?

Easy, since the Bible says that tongues have ceased (1 Cor. 13:8-10) then what is seen today can not be Biblical tongues which means they are simply faked noises that make no sense.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some people are limited to Sola Scriptura. They will only believe what is proven in scripture. The Holy Spirit confirms scripture. Not vice versa.

Limited is an incorrect word used here. Those who accept Sola Scripture accept the Bible as the Word of God and God is NOT Limited.

YOUR use of the phrase as you just used it tells me that YOU do not know the meaning of the word.
Those who reject the Word of God do what they want to do because they want to FEEL good, or have an emotional release. That IMO that is what tongues are all about, feeling religious!

That is exactly what the Bible says that we are NOT to be doing.

John 20:29.................
"Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. blessed."

John 4:48
"Then said Jesus to him, Except you see signs and wonders, you will not believe."

JEWS required a "Sign". Christian believers live by faith!

And the reason for that is simple. Anyone can do what ever they want to do and then just blame it on the Holy Spirit.

Now you seem to have misunderstood me. YOU personally and Mr. Silly and all the others can say what ever you want to say, and do what ever YOU want to do. But YOU can not do it and say the Bible said I could.

I do not care what you do my friends. If you want to talk in gibberish and think it is holy.....DO IT.
If you want to fall in the floor because you are overcome with emotions......DO IT.
If you want to believe that a man is walking around to churches healing people......DO IT.

Believing in the written Word God places obedience to the Word of God on the person, YOU.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Easy, since the Bible says that tongues have ceased (1 Cor. 13:8-10) then what is seen today can not be Biblical tongues which means they are simply faked noises that make no sense.

The problem is that neither these people or anyone else who speaks in tongues thinks that they have ceased. Nor would they naturally by reading 1 Co 12-14. In order to read cessiationism into the scriptures you have to start with cessationism and then manipulate what the scriptures says in order to suit your theology.

Thus the conclusion that these tongues are faked are based on a false theology... one not actually supported by the scriptures that talk about tongues.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Limited is an incorrect word used here. Those who accept Sola Scripture accept the Bible as the Word of God and God is NOT Limited.

YOUR use of the phrase as you just used it tells me that YOU do not know the meaning of the word.
Those who reject the Word of God do what they want to do because they want to FEEL good, or have an emotional release. That IMO that is what tongues are all about, feeling religious!

"Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. blessed."

"Then said Jesus to him, Except you see signs and wonders, you will not believe."

And the reason for that is simple. Anyone can do what ever they want to do and then just blame it on the Holy Spirit.

Now you seem to have misunderstood me. YOU personally and Mr. Silly and all the others can say what ever you want to say, and do what ever YOU want to do. But YOU can not do it and say the Bible said I could.

I do not care what you do my friends. If you want to talk in gibberish and think it is holy.....DO IT.
If you want to fall in the floor because you are overcome with emotions......DO IT.
If you want to believe that a man is walking around to churches healing people......DO IT.

Believing in the written Word God places obedience to the Word of God on the person, YOU.
I am saying God is not limited, not limited to His word of the past.

God wants us to feel good, the good of that feeling of strong confidence, faith, and courage, good emotional health and physical health. Also serenity, peace, joy, non anxiety, loved. Feeling spiritual. All Biblical, strange you missed it.

Blessed? No feeling? Believing but not receiving with evidence?

God gives signs like prophecy which we are commanded in 1 Cor 14 to earnestly strive for. The sign the Jews asked for was asked for with wrong motives. Like asking to buy power and they were given the sign of Jonah.

The Holy Spirit is playful. As in Jesus day, people who sought God and salvation all their life, did not like Him when they saw Him.

Emotions do not make people fall onto the floor...

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am saying God is not limited, not limited to His word of the past.

God wants us to feel good, the good of that feeling of strong confidence, faith, and courage, good emotional health and physical health. Also serenity, peace, joy, non anxiety, loved. Feeling spiritual. All Biblical, strange you missed it.

Blessed? No feeling? Believing but not receiving with evidence?

God gives signs like prophecy which we are commanded in 1 Cor 14 to earnestly strive for. The sign the Jews asked for was asked for with wrong motives. Like asking to buy power and they were given the sign of Jonah.

The Holy Spirit is playful. As in Jesus day, people who sought God and salvation all their life, did not like Him when they saw Him.

Emotions do not make people fall onto the floor...

I have to disagree. Your comments are clearly the result of the Pentecostal doctrine and NOT the Word of God and your responces are what is called "Rationalizations".

YES He is. Do you know that in the Bible there is a verse that says...
"God is the same YESTERDAY, today and tomorrow?

Scripture says that God is good and that He wants to be good TO us but can you post a Scripture that says......"God wants us to feel good".

The Bible said in 1 Cor. 13 that knowledge would cease as well as prophecy. WHY would you need any prophecy when you have the Word of God that has already told you what is going to happen?

Please post a Scripture that says......"The Holy Spirit is Playful".

If not emotions then what do you think that it is.

Upvote 0