Is Speaking In Tongues Biblical Today?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
No Sir.

A stick is a thing.
A rock is a thing.
A car is a thing.

Love is an emotion and can never being understood as a THING unless that is what YOU want it to mean.
The revelation in the Bible is a He? Living water is a He, also Bread of Life, fire, anointing, light, Jesus' blood...? In Romans 5:5 love can fill the heart.

John writes in his letters that God is love. It is not an emotion. Emotion is soulish, love is Spirit.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The revelation in the Bible is a He? Living water is a He, also Bread of Life, fire, anointing, light, Jesus' blood...? In Romans 5:5 love can fill the heart.

John writes in his letters that God is love. It is not an emotion. Emotion is soulish, love is Spirit.

Not so my friend.
The Scriptures are God Breathed and ALL Scriptures are Inspired by God.

The Greek word.....Qeopneustos is derived from qeos, “God,” and pnew, “to breath.”

Literally, it means “God-breathed” and expresses the concept of exhalation by God. More accurately, it emphasizes that Scripture is the product of the breath of God. The Scriptures are not something breathed into by God, rather, the Scriptures have been breathed out by God.

Inspiration may be defined as “God’s superintendence of the human authors of Scripture so that using their own individual personalities, they composed and recorded without error His revelation to man in the words of the original autographs.”

"Living water, Bread of Life, Fire, Anointing", are ALL adjectives of Jesus Christ who is in the Greek, Masculine Neuter. None of those THINGS can be considered as the Perfect as has been explained to you several times now.

I know you want it to be that way and I know that you will continue to rationalize what you want but it just can not happen.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Not so my friend.
The Scriptures are God Breathed and ALL Scriptures are Inspired by God.

The Greek word.....Qeopneustos is derived from qeos, “God,” and pnew, “to breath.”

Literally, it means “God-breathed” and expresses the concept of exhalation by God. More accurately, it emphasizes that Scripture is the product of the breath of God. The Scriptures are not something breathed into by God, rather, the Scriptures have been breathed out by God.

Inspiration may be defined as “God’s superintendence of the human authors of Scripture so that using their own individual personalities, they composed and recorded without error His revelation to man in the words of the original autographs.”

"Living water, Bread of Life, Fire, Anointing", are ALL adjectives of Jesus Christ who is in the Greek, Masculine Neuter. None of those THINGS can be considered as the Perfect as has been explained to you several times now.

I know you want it to be that way and I know that you will continue to rationalize what you want but it just can not happen.
I know many turned away when Jesus said they needed to eat His body and drink His blood, but God's presence and power is extended to us in seemingly impersonal forms. The river of living water in the end of Revelation, is real, angels eat and drink. A hot coal, not natural, was touched on Isaiah's lips to clean him. The oil David was anointed with was not only natural...

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know many turned away when Jesus said they needed to eat His body and drink His blood, but God's presence and power is extended to us in seemingly impersonal forms. The river of living water in the end of Revelation, is real, angels eat and drink. A hot coal, not natural, was touched on Isaiah's lips to clean him. The oil David was anointed with was not only natural...

But the river of living water is in a totally different dispensation my friend and has nothing to do with the thread.

I really do not know what you are trying to say.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
But the river of living water is in a totally different dispensation my friend and has nothing to do with the thread.

I really do not know what you are trying to say.
Living word, living water, both things. So when the maturation happens, whether it is the church people the church age, or Christ return, there will be a perfect 'revelation' of love and truth. The revelation of the person is a miraculous 'thing'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Silly, I do not have any problems my friend.

You brought up the idea that "love" is the context of chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians.
The point is that YOU are wrong on your understanding that love is the context of 1 Cor. 12-14.
It is not........The context is the Gifts as I listed them for you.

Then the real problem is that YOU do not seem to be able to grasp that what YOU want is impossible to be as the Grammar of the Greek language will not allow it.

Strongs Concordance #5048.

"teleios": to bring to an end, to complete, perfect
Original Word: τελειόω
Short Definition: complete, accomplish, make perfect, mature
Definition: (a) as a course, a race, or the like: I complete, finish (b) as of time or prediction: I accomplish.

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from telos
Definition
having reached its end, i.e. complete, by ext. perfect
NASB Translation
complete (2), mature (4), more perfect (1), perfect (12).

WHY it is important my brother is that when describing things instead of people, the Greek Grammar DEMANDS that the gender will be neuter or, in one instance, feminine gender. Most of the time, the adjective has a named subject that it modifies. But in the 1 Corinthians 13 passage, only the context can determine because the adjective stands alone: "the perfect."

"When THAT (Greek: To Teleion) which is perfect is come" .

The pronoun "THAT" in Greek, describing the perfect, is neuter.

Now here is YOUR answer.......Christ however is masculine, not neuter, so "that which is perfect" cannot refer to Christ or His return or love as love is an emotion and is NOT NUETER. The Bible is neuter. This fits the context perfectly.
So the meaning of the adjective is determined by the context.

Since that is the GRAMMATICAL FACT it means that the "perfect" of 1 Cor. 13 is a THING which must be the completed word of God.

I suggest that YOU do some more study on the REALITY of what Paul actually did say and less time debating with me on what YOU wanted him to say.

The problem is that there are a ton of things that are neuter that it could mean. Ice Cream is neuter... Does this mean that tongues will cease when we have the perfect Ice Cream?

Of course not!

And the problem with your approach is that you insert what you want it to be on a text that makes no mention of it, into the thinking of the writer who has no knowledge of it and of the reader who does not care about it.

Paul had written three letters prior to this. Certainly he gives no indication at any time either before or after this that the Bible would be completed. There is no indication in any of the other writers that this was the case nor in any of the historical records from the second century onwards, when 'the Bible' as we know it did not exist. If they knew it had been completed, nobody would have bothered writing anything else.

So historically there is no indication that Paul thought that scripture would be completed at any time. There is no indication anywhere that the Corinthians were concerned to know when scripture would be completed. There is no indication that in the laster 1st century that as the apostles (the Twelve plus Paul) died, the writings would cease (James, Jude, Mark, Luke and the writer of Hebrews certainly didn't think so). There is no indication that at any time in the first three centuries that the canon of scripture was completed or that everyone thought it was.

Even when the canon was completed, nobody except the blind would think that there was nothing left to say... after were additions, corrections, mistranslations etc. from then until now.

In other words, despite your misses of Greek (the fact that you are not able to grasp that the New Testament does refer to love as perfect) and despite the fact that the completion of scripture was clearly not what Paul was talking about, nor what the Corinthians needed to hear, nor what anyone until the modern age has understood it as meaning and despite the fact that tongues clearly continued after Paul's death (as recorded in Acts) and into the first century (as recorded in Mark) and in numerous groups throughout history... you maintain you are right!

This seems to be a case of the Blind leading the blind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Living word, living water, both things. So when the maturation happens, whether it is the church people the church age, or Christ return, there will be a perfect 'revelation' of love and truth. The revelation of the person is a miraculous 'thing'.

You are welcome to believe such thoughts, however they are NOT Biblical. There has been more than enough knowledge and Scripture shared with you so as to enlighten you. It is what YOU choose to accept my friend.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Foreknowledge isn't your strong point is it?

Apologies I managed to post the reply without actually writing it.

No sir, you are correct.

My super power is the ability to never use a mirror.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Silly, I do not have any problems my friend.

You brought up the idea that "love" is the context of chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians.
The point is that YOU are wrong on your understanding that love is the context of 1 Cor. 12-14.
It is not........The context is the Gifts as I listed them for you.

Then the real problem is that YOU do not seem to be able to grasp that what YOU want is impossible to be as the Grammar of the Greek language will not allow it.

Strongs Concordance #5048.

"teleios": to bring to an end, to complete, perfect
Original Word: τελειόω
Short Definition: complete, accomplish, make perfect, mature
Definition: (a) as a course, a race, or the like: I complete, finish (b) as of time or prediction: I accomplish.

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from telos
Definition
having reached its end, i.e. complete, by ext. perfect
NASB Translation
complete (2), mature (4), more perfect (1), perfect (12).

WHY it is important my brother is that when describing things instead of people, the Greek Grammar DEMANDS that the gender will be neuter or, in one instance, feminine gender. Most of the time, the adjective has a named subject that it modifies. But in the 1 Corinthians 13 passage, only the context can determine because the adjective stands alone: "the perfect."

"When THAT (Greek: To Teleion) which is perfect is come" .

The pronoun "THAT" in Greek, describing the perfect, is neuter.

Now here is YOUR answer.......Christ however is masculine, not neuter, so "that which is perfect" cannot refer to Christ or His return or love as love is an emotion and is NOT NUETER. The Bible is neuter. This fits the context perfectly.
So the meaning of the adjective is determined by the context.

Since that is the GRAMMATICAL FACT it means that the "perfect" of 1 Cor. 13 is a THING which must be the completed word of God.

I suggest that YOU do some more study on the REALITY of what Paul actually did say and less time debating with me on what YOU wanted him to say.

If the "perfect" was the Bible, we wouldn't have so many denominations?

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
But my dear friend, LOVE is a feeling or emotion and as has been carefully shown to all, the Greek word "TELEIOS" does not allow the meaning of Perfect to be anything other than a "THING" and can not mean an emotion or feeling.
In case you missed the important point, love (Agape) is NOT a feeling or emotion at all. It is an act, a decision, a way of life, but definitely not an emotion.

I'm surprised that you don't know that given the Greek that you quote.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In case you missed the important point, love (Agape) is NOT a feeling or emotion at all. It is an act, a decision, a way of life, but definitely not an emotion.

I'm surprised that you don't know that given the Greek that you quote.

You are IMO incorrect.

I do however understand why you would say that about love as it would destroy your theology of tongues to accept it as what it is, a feeling/emotion.

Actually, Love is one of the hardest things to understand no matter where you are. Yes it's an emotion, for you feel good when you love someone. I also think it's a choice, because AFTER we love someone, THEN we choose to say I forgive you because I love you and not the other way around.

But you believe as you wish in order to keep your theology of tongues in tact.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
You are IMO incorrect.

I do however understand why you would say that about love as it would destroy your theology of tongues to accept it as what it is, a feeling/emotion.

Actually, Love is one of the hardest things to understand no matter where you are. Yes it's an emotion, for you feel good when you love someone. I also think it's a choice, because AFTER we love someone, THEN we choose to say I forgive you because I love you and not the other way around.

But you believe as you wish in order to keep your theology of tongues in tact.
It has nothing to do with keeping my theology intact.

Agape is not an an emotion and has never been. We love regardless of how we 'feel'. Any emotion that comes with love is incidental.

Your desire to make love an emotion flies in face of the meaning f the word throughout the NT.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I´m curious about this. I was part of a church for years that had neatly explained away charismatic spiritual gifts - while maintaining that ´non charismatic´gifts were still evident. Wider study has made me cautious about drawing conclusions where the interpretations are debatable. I realise I´m late coming to this post, just joined, but I am interested in hearing about people´s experiences of these kind of spiritual gifts and what these mean for them individually. If I´m guilty of hijacking the post please let me know and I´ll post elsewhere!
Tom

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Getting baptized in the Holy Spirit is like having a car and now gas,you are going no where. The Holy Spirit is the gas. The Lord must have though it was import for me in my spiritual walk with Him.
I was saved and a month or two later I was at a meeting where it was the first time I heard tongues. I asked some one what that was all about. They just said it was in the bible,so I just said to God if it is of you and I need it I want it. A week latter I at home mining my own business when the presence of God came in and I felt something being poured over me from the top of my head to my toes. I felt like my belly was swelling up and I would burst and then tongues pour out for a hour. From that day forward the Holly Spirit became my friend and teacher. That to me showed me how important is in my walk.
If you ask God for bread would he give you a stone.
No matter what people say like you do not need it or you get it when you get saved[separate event in your walk].I know is is not true.
What Father God did settles this in my heart. If this did not happen in my walk thirty five years ago,Spiritual I would still be walking around in dippers.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I´m curious about this. I was part of a church for years that had neatly explained away charismatic spiritual gifts - while maintaining that ´non charismatic´gifts were still evident. Wider study has made me cautious about drawing conclusions where the interpretations are debatable. I realise I´m late coming to this post, just joined, but I am interested in hearing about people´s experiences of these kind of spiritual gifts and what these mean for them individually. If I´m guilty of hijacking the post please let me know and I´ll post elsewhere!
Tom

You show humility in not wanting to draw your own conclusions, when the Word of God speaks for itself.

Upvote 0