Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Time certainly flies by, where I once used to refer to the Charismatic Renewal of the 60’s through to the late 70’s as just that, but as time goes by I have started to use the date format 1970’s; but for me, it will still be another six years before I can say it has been 50 years.

One of the unintended advantages that I had within the mid 70’s was that as a youthful member of our Armed Forces that I was able to experience a number of Pentecostal and Charismatic congregations within my country; where many of their members were recently cessationist, either by conscious choice or simply that it was what their particular community believed.

During this time within my own country, which was probably from maybe 1970 through to about 1977, the numbers that embraced the Full Gospel were seemingly astronomical, where they either joined (or fellowshipped) with a Pentecostal congregation, or where they remained within their own new Charismatic assembly or found a Charismatic assembly elsewhere within their particular denomination. Though in those days I should say charismatic and not so much Charismatic.

What would undoubtedly be the primary theological influence for many of them deciding to embrace the fullness of the Spirit, was for at least the Arminian Evangelical, was with the realisation that the final bulwark of cessationism, which is of course with 1 Cor 13:10, that this did not refer to the death of the last Apostle-of-Christ, with the release of the last Book of the Bible or with the compilation of the Canon of Scripture centuries later, but that it refers to the return of Christ with his Kingdom, which has been the traditional understanding of this passage by the Church down through the ages.

To be fair, for many others, they did not hold to a theological reason for not embracing the fullness of the Spirit, other than it being-the-way-it-was for their denomination and the second reason was how it was for me as well.

I fully agree with you on this. All it should take to understand this is with maybe a third or fourth year junior reading level. Paul goes to some length to describe how we pray in the Spirit (tongues) within the congregational setting as being just that, prayer, as in praise and worship that is always being directed to the Father, we of course worship the Father not to benefit or uplift others but to worship Him as Lord of all. The Holy Spirit never uses tongues as a form of communication to either the congregation or an individual, as he always speaks to us through prophecy which is always given in the vernacular tongue of the local Christian community. Then we have personal prayer which we can offer to the Father through the Holy Spirit, or to be more precise, that the Holy Spirit speaks through us to the Father with regard to our personal intercessions and needs.

Even though you have moved away from the Manifestations of the Spirit (1 Cor 12:7-11) to that of the agency of the Father, as with Signs & Wonders; the two are not one and the same, I cannot recall reading how the Apostles-of-Christ ever moved through hospitals healing anyone that they came across. For that matter, do we read where any of the Apostles-of-Christ walked through any leper communities which apparently existed in their day?

As for me, even though I regularly pray and worship in tongues, where I have seen many mighty outworkings of the Holy Spirit, I have never, nor do I ever expect to see a Sign and Wonder in my life time, though I would certainly relish being able to correct this sometime down the track.

As for the Office of healings (1 Cor 12:28), I would say that this Office is limited to that of the Congregational setting, where even I wonder if we should be praying for those who are unsaved to be healed - this is something that I still struggle with even after many years within the Full Gospel movement. For that matter, should we really be advertising 'Healing meetings' and the like, especially ones that are being aimed at the unregenerate?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I understand what you are saying and at one time many years ago I was sitting right there next to you.
I admire your faith in explaining your position in your Christian denomination.
I commend you for your expertise on this subject.

I really doubt that we can reconcile our different opinions on tongues and healing over a forum format.

Not to belabor the point or to argue in any way, it has my observation and opinion that I suspect that many claims to have experienced this gift may be questionable, but I dare not insist that all such experiences are false.

From the teaching of the New Testament as I understand it I would expect that genuine tongues will be and should be a human language, unknown to the speaker, and not mere babbling such as the mere repetition of certain syllables as is seen in the churches which I have attended and observed.

I would also expect that this gift should be exercised as Paul has prescribed in 1 Corinthians chapter 14. From 1 Corinthians 12 and 14 I would also have to say that "What I have seen" is not what the Bible says has to take place.

Because all men are sinners and we are all effected by Pride and religiosity, the gift of tongues is a real and valid gift just as is healing which can be misused by men to satisfy what they want to do instead of what God has said we should do.

I think that if we are honest with our selves we can and will see and admit that after all is said and done, every spiritual gift can be abused for personal gain.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
a) You are participating in a forum, not a private conversation. Anyone is free to comment on posts.

b) I speak to others with honesty and forthrightness.

c) I find your rigid stance on the spiritual gifts, especially speaking in tongues, to be totally wrong. You have an idea fixed in your mind and no logic or debate will change your opinion.

I wonder why you're so motivated to prove many of us who have spiritual gifts wrong. Is that behavior what they teach in your church?

You can't reason somebody out of something they haven't reasoned themself into.

Of course that is the expected response.

Blame me or someone else for YOUR own behavior and comments.

Personally I do not care what you think of my stance. I have posted Scriptures to support every single ting I have said so your problem is not with me but with the one who wrote those Scriptures my dear friend.

And your are correct. No debate will change my understanding as you would have to change the Scriptures 1st.

Always nice to speak with you.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As for your friend, I don't know. I haven't talked to her. I don't know if she was ever baptized with the Spirit.

But as far as the poster of this thread, he claimed tongues today is of the devil. THAT is blasphemy. I reported him, and he put me on ignore.

It is on an individual basis.
I take it you are referring to this post?
Is Speaking In Tongues Biblical Today?

In it he is comparing the claim of another poster against what he heard a witch doctor say. I don't see that he accused the poster of having a devil (or claimed that modern tongues was of the devil). Can you prove to me otherwise from some other post I don't see? Otherwise, it appears to me by your reaction that you read a false meaning into what was written.
TD:)

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I take it you are referring to this post?
Is Speaking In Tongues Biblical Today?

In it he is comparing the claim of another poster against what he heard a witch doctor say. I don't see that he accused the poster of having a devil (or claimed that modern tongues was of the devil). Can you prove to me otherwise from some other post I don't see? Otherwise, it appears to me by your reaction that you read a false meaning into what was written.

Possibly.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course that is the expected response.

Blame me or someone else for YOUR own behavior and comments.

Personally I do not care what you think of my stance. I have posted Scriptures to support every single ting I have said so your problem is not with me but with the one who wrote those Scriptures my dear friend.

And your are correct. No debate will change my understanding as you would have to change the Scriptures 1st.

Always nice to speak with you.

You are infallible regarding your personal interpretation of the Bible? There is no longer any need for me to continue this discussion. Your opinion of yourself says it all.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I understand what you are saying and at one time many years ago I was sitting right there next to you.
I admire your faith in explaining your position in your Christian denomination.
I commend you for your expertise on this subject.

I really doubt that we can reconcile our different opinions on tongues and healing over a forum format.

Not to belabor the point or to argue in any way, it has my observation and opinion that I suspect that many claims to have experienced this gift may be questionable, but I dare not insist that all such experiences are false.

From the teaching of the New Testament as I understand it I would expect that genuine tongues will be and should be a human language, unknown to the speaker, and not mere babbling such as the mere repetition of certain syllables as is seen in the churches which I have attended and observed.

I would also expect that this gift should be exercised as Paul has prescribed in 1 Corinthians chapter 14. From 1 Corinthians 12 and 14 I would also have to say that "What I have seen" is not what the Bible says has to take place.

Because all men are sinners and we are all effected by Pride and religiosity, the gift of tongues is a real and valid gift just as is healing which can be misused by men to satisfy what they want to do instead of what God has said we should do.

I think that if we are honest with our selves we can and will see and admit that after all is said and done, every spiritual gift can be abused for personal gain.
Major, I came across a link called "The Tongues Project" that I'm very impressed with, it looks like this guy has spent a decade collecting historical documents and analyzing them. I've never before seen such extensive work. In case you don't know about it, here is a link to the "History of Glossalalia" page:
A History of Glossolalia: Origins

He shows that historically, Biblical tongues was considered human languages until the 19th Century.

• Agree
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Major, I came across a link called "The Tongues Project" that I'm very impressed with, it looks like this guy has spent a decade collecting historical documents and analyzing them. I've never before seen such extensive work. In case you don't know about it, here is a link to the "History of Glossalalia" page:

He shows that historically, Biblical tongues was considered human languages until the 19th Century.

I would call them legitimate languages, which would include the tongues of angels. God understands them, because God is the creator of all languages, even new ones.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Excellent site and it is clear that he has spent a lot of time on historical facts.

It is very sad to me how that so many people can ignore facts and history.

Also, here is another historical fact based site......
The Irvingites and the Gift of Tongues

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are infallible regarding your personal interpretation of the Bible? There is no longer any need for me to continue this discussion. Your opinion of yourself says it all.

Thank you for the compliment and In answer to your personal comment, I would say that the correct word would be "confident" in the Word of God.

I am saddened to see you go but it seems to me that you have said that before but here you are...........still.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent site and it is clear that he has spent a lot of time on historical facts.

It is very sad to me how that so many people can ignore facts and history.

Also, here is another historical fact based site......
The Irvingites and the Gift of Tongues
I see you had it already (it's a different web page of the same website).

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums