Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, another attempt by laymen to claim they are more knowledgeable then the experts. We really need to get back to revering knowledge over ignorance cloaked with attitude.
everyone reveres knowledge that can be proven by observation, yes?

but if nobody accepts Medieval Church speculations of "angels on pinheads" because we can't observer "angels", how are fancifully speculative "theory-tales" which make no testable predictions any different much less better ?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
everyone reveres knowledge that can be proven by observation, yes?

but if nobody accepts Medieval Church speculations of "angels on pinheads" because we can't observer "angels", how are fancifully speculative "theory-tales" which make no testable predictions any different much less better ?

I'm sorry but I have no clue what you are trying to convey here. If you are claiming that there are scientific theories that you need a lot of specialized training to understand then I would agree. If you are claiming that because you do not understand it we should dismiss it then that is the precisely the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about that. Phrenology was so popular in the 19th century that American courts were convicting Americans on trial through the expert testimony of men specializing in phrenology.

Source please. I find this highly doubtful because one is convicted for specific acts, not for their character.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but I have no clue what you are trying to convey here. If you are claiming that there are scientific theories that you need a lot of specialized training to understand then I would agree. If you are claiming that because you do not understand it we should dismiss it then that is the precisely the problem.
the link I supplied previously echoes numerous books like NOT EVEN WRONG in observing that modern theories like String Theory are so esoteric that they make no testable predictions

just pure speculation, "theory tales" akin to philosophizing about how many Angels might fit on the head of a pin

other experts today say Climate Change implies that everyone with an agricultural or industrial sector job -- all the peasants and workers so to speak -- should give up their employment, for the greater good of the majority... Evidently meaning the minority of people employed in the service sector, such as the experts giving the advice to everyone else

"theirs is a clean job and somebody gets to do it" i guess

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
the link I supplied previously echoes numerous books like NOT EVEN WRONG in observing that modern theories like String Theory are so esoteric that they make no testable predictions

just pure speculation, "theory tales" akin to philosophizing about how many Angels might fit on the head of a pin

OK.

other experts today say Climate Change implies that everyone with an agricultural or industrial sector job -- all the peasants and workers so to speak -- should give up their employment, for the greater good of the majority... Evidently meaning the minority of people employed in the service sector, such as the experts giving the advice to everyone else

What experts say this and what is their field of expertise? What does this have to do with listening to the climate scientists who are telling us about APGW?

• Friendly
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Its a little ridiculous to hold up string theory as the template for how science generally is done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK.

What experts say this and what is their field of expertise? What does this have to do with listening to the climate scientists who are telling us about APGW?
isn't it common knowledge that their bottom line is....

yada yada yada
blah blah blah
therefore, APGW (not disputing)
-----------------------------------
AND THEREFORE, choke industry and agriculture to reduce emissions

everything above the line is science, and it's probably good science, and even if it was wrong, scientists have the right to be human from time to time

but everything below the line is POLITICS and money

and that is the point, science is politicized and monetized, people cross the line into and out of science for other purposes

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
isn't it common knowledge that their bottom line is....

yada yada yada
blah blah blah
therefore, APGW (not disputing)
-----------------------------------
AND THEREFORE, choke industry and agriculture to reduce emissions

everything above the line is science, and it's probably good science, and even if it was wrong, scientists have the right to be human from time to time

but everything below the line is POLITICS and money

and that is the point, science is politicized and monetized, people cross the line into and out of science for other purposes

Of course it is politics and money. Everything is politics and money. It is politics and money that are saying we should not move to fast on APGW. It is politics and money that say we should ignore what the experts are saying.

So let's take your political claims and examine them.

"choke industry and agriculture to reduce emissions"

This is being demanded by whom exactly? Because quite frankly it sounds like hyperbole.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course it is politics and money. Everything is politics and money. It is politics and money that are saying we should not move to fast on APGW. It is politics and money that say we should ignore what the experts are saying.

So let's take your political claims and examine them.

"choke industry and agriculture to reduce emissions"

This is being demanded by whom exactly? Because quite frankly it sounds like hyperbole.
is it not common knowledge that if industry did what the climate experts recommend, that they would have to close factories and fire workers in droves?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
is it not common knowledge that if industry did what the climate experts recommend, that they would have to close factories and fire workers in droves?

No. It is not common knowledge and I don't think it is correct. What evidence do you have that this is the case?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums