West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They need not be mutually exclusive conditions. You're arguing a false dichotomy. I am both a Christian counselor and a psychologist.

So grossly misinformed that the statement is idiotic. LMFTs are psychologists. They are trained in the same theories, therapies, ethics, and skills as any psychologist at the Masters level. They go through a very similar supervisory process, take very similar certification and licensing examinations, and must use the exact same diagnostic criteria the psychiatrist and the psychologist uses. That was really a very ignorant statement.

Pastoral counselors preceded clinical counselors. Clinical counselors, as I previously noted, have been around about 150 years and in that entire time clinicians have not replaced other counselors. Again, this content is grossly misinformed and incredibly ignorant.

Baloney. Every PhD must add to the existing body of knowledge in the field based on empirical research within the scientific paradigm and that research is peer-reviewed just like it is in any other science. Again: grossly misinformed.....

I have advanced degrees from both secular and private Christian universities and my studies at the Christian universities required twice as much work and the training was rigorous. You can be crazy and be an accountant. They'll give you your diploma. You can be crazy and be an engineer. Your mental health is immaterial to those professions. You cannot be crazy and be a therapist. They will "invite" you to explore other options (wink, wink). I had to have twice as many books: every single class required a secular text and a Christian-authored text. Double the cost of books. Double the reading. Double the content to be examined upon. Counseling sessions in practicum and internships are filmed, verbatim records are typed up and the sessions and verbatim are submitted for review by the entire teaching staff (all PhDs) and the entire class of other students for all to examine, question, comment upon, make recommendations, etc. Every therapist has to go to therapy. There's no hiding. Bad theology and bad psychology are culled.

So get a clue.

There are bad psychologists. Lots of them. But psychology and Christianity are not antithetical. All truth is God's truth. No science properly discovers anything; we uncover that which God designed into creation.

So......... once again another post of factually erroneous and logically fallacious content. If folks are as critical of the Bobgans shtick as they are of my posts we won't be having these exchanges.
Sir the statements "get a clue" and "I am ignorant" may have been what psychology has taught you but the Bible has never commanded to tell people those things. Again psychology is just a way to replace the Bible in my oppinion. Psychiatry is more of a medical science and may have a place, but a christian psychologist to me is like an evolitionary biologist. It's just theoretical, no solid evidence it is either effective or true wisdom. Worldy wisdom has no place in the church, period. But I know this is a very sensitive topic. People rely on psychology it is their crutch, literally speaking. They would not know what to do if it did not exist. However for thousands of years it did not exist, and we did fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"We must guard against the assumption that all the truth that is needed for the most effective counselling is contained in Scripture. Biblical truth is not a compendium of all necessary knowledge, but a touchstone for testing and verifying other kinds of truth and a structure for integrating them. It is not an encyclopedia, but a tool for making encyclopedias." Richard F. Lovelace
So you're saying God himself left out vital information? That is exactly what I would expect from a christian who wants to validate psychology. But I simply don't see that principle in the actual Bible. I see that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16. If psychology is instruction, if biblical counseling is instruction then technically God has given us the manual to use, the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it doesn’t sound cliche. :)

But, I’m not you. We don’t share the same thoughts, experiences, or relationship with God. What feeds you may have little appeal to others.

And that should be okay. We should be able to appreciate our differences and glean from one another. But oftentimes we spend our energy trying to bring others to our way of being. This negates the uniqueness of our makeup...our God-given knitting.

I know your response was well meant and I appreciate it. But it’s also indicative of the group think I find unsettling. You weren’t talking to me. You didn’t ask questions or seek to understand my perspective. You were promoting your own. :)

Oftentimes, I’m the encourager. That’s a reflection of gifting, disposition, and God’s placement. My spiritual medicine won’t mirror yours. But it’s useful for my benefit and those I’m meant to serve.

~Bella

yes I was using God's principles. So again, psychology or telling people they are inherently good, is not the solution. It's a band aid. God says our worth is in Him alone. When we tell the world they can find worth apart from Christ they will believe it, and go for that rather than Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but even Christ thought people had worth outside of him. The story of the Prodigal Son, the parable of the lost coins and the list can go on and on.

please explain how the prodigal son had worth outside something God gave Him. The prodigal had money initially and was well off (God gave him this through his parents), then he spent it, lost it partying. (lost his worth), then realized he had other worth as a servant in his fathers house. (God given employment). Then the father granted sonship again and restored him, (God given family love). So again I don't see a single example of worth in the story that was not God given. Do you have another parable or story you wish to use to explain your point? I do believe that a person can have talent, or skill that they have practiced and if one were to make the point that they did it apart from God (which I don't believe), they could. But even then, they are not at that point inherently good, because the worth is found in the skill. So that sort of proves my point that we increase our worth through obeying God and not from being inherently good as psychologists try to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you're saying God himself left out vital information? That is exactly what I would expect from a christian who wants to validate psychology. But I simply don't see that principle in the actual Bible. I see that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16. If psychology is instruction, if biblical counseling is instruction then technically God has given us the manual to use, the Bible.

No read the quote again a few times, its not my words, not something I am saying, but I agree with the writer. It says that God has given us everything we need in the Scriptures, as a touchstone, to test and validate all other ideas, that we come across in the world.

Yes I suppose one could say God did leave stuff out (of Scripture). But he gave it through common grace, and gave the mature christian the responsibility of sorting out what was true.

The question of course is when the rubber meets the road for a christian counsellor, which road is it they are on? The underlying philosophies of many of the secular theorists do conflict with christian faith. So integration requires a great deal of wisdom. There are psychiatrists who have done it successfully, while retaining their christian faith. eg. Frank Lake, Karl Stern.

Counselling, Psychology and Psychotherapy differ. Psychotherapy seems to be about helping people talk about stuff in their lives they'd rather not think about, or talk about. Some of them are very good at what they do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No read the quote again a few times, its not my words, not something I am saying , but I think the writer is correct. Its says that God has given us everything we need in the Scriptures, as a touchstone, to test and validate all other theories, that we come across in the world.
I was referring the the first statement he made "guarding against the assumption" that the Bible is all we need. I would disagree with that statement entirely. If God were to make a manual, I would assume HE would not studder, or leave out material.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who says the Bible is a manual?
a lot of people refer to the Bible as basic instruction manual from God. In fact if you take the acronym for Bible:

B= basic
I= instruction
B= before
L= Leaving
E= Earth

and that verse I posted a few posts earlier says it is profitable for instruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people may refer to the Bible as an instruction manual. Doesn't mean they are right to view it in that way. Theres a link to an article for you to read, if you care to.

of course the Bible is an instruction manual. The verse I quoted earlier, proves that it is "profitable for instruction" "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16. God's word is more valid than any article, or any humanistic philosophy. One of Jesus' names was "wonderful counselor"- Isaiah 9:6, Jesus should take the role as our counselor: "In ancient Israel, a counselor was portrayed as a wise king, such as Solomon, giving guidance to his people (1 Kings 4:34; Micah 4:9). Isaiah uses this word again in 28:29 to describe the LORD: “This also comes from the LORD of hosts; he is wonderful in counsel and excellent in wisdom.” Jesus is a wise counselor. “He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person” (John 2:25). He is able to advise His people thoroughly because He is qualified in ways no human counselor is. In Christ is “hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:3), including the knowledge of all human nature (Psalm 139:1–2). Jesus always knows what we are going through, and He always knows the right course of action (Hebrews 4:15–16)."- quote from Gotquestions.org

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sir the statements "get a clue" and "I am ignorant" may have been what psychology has taught you but the Bible has never commanded to tell people those things. Again psychology is just a way to replace the Bible in my oppinion. Psychiatry is more of a medical science and may have a place, but a christian psychologist to me is like an evolitionary biologist. It's just theoretical, no solid evidence it is either effective or true wisdom. Worldy wisdom has no place in the church, period. But I know this is a very sensitive topic. People rely on psychology it is their crutch, literally speaking. They would not know what to do if it did not exist. However for thousands of years it did not exist, and we did fine.
Once again we read another litany of fallacious responses that prove what I have posted correct.

The facts in evidence deonstrate the lack of knowledge. That appraisal is not an opinion; it is the logically necessary conclusion of the facts in vidence.

You're correct: I should be more edifying. You do need to get the facts because the posts display an enormous lack of knowledge. Are you now more receptive and willing to repent that a kinder wording has been posted? All you've done is put yourself on the spot. I can repent without shame and make amends right here and now in the discussion. Can you? Will you? Will we read a statement by you acknowledging the facts in evidence contrary to the Bobgans' nonsense and your personal opinion?

I'm not practicing as a psychologist to you here. It would be inappropriate to do so. The attempt to leverage that is a mockery of the op, the profession of psychology and me as a poster and you just got done admonishing me for being unscripturally derisive. Under any ordinary circumstances that is called hypocrisy. One does not need to be a psychologist to understand that is the likely inevitability of those who do not know what they are talking, those who do not know how or will not defend their own posts, and those arguing from the flesh, not the Spirit.

Your opinion is wrong. Any veracity that opinion might have in part has not been evidenced and it has been two days since the op was posted. You have had plenty of time to make the case for your opinion - not the Bobgans' opinion - and have for some unidentified reason(s) refused to do so despite many diverse posters bringing various concerns to your attention. The evidence shows you were not prepared. to explain or defend the errors posted under your opinion.

Yes, psychiatry is more of a medical science. Everyone agrees! That is what psychiatry is intended to be but because of the limits of the medical paradigm psychology arose. Medication does not cure all mental health or soul corruptions. That's why intra-psychic and systemic approaches fostering positive healing change are being developed. Many, if not most of them are quite successful and increasingly so as the scientific empircal evidence evidences! That which is not proven successful does not endure. It gets replaced with more efficacious knowledge, understanding, and practices.

Yes, psychiatry is more of a medical science but when it comes to diagnosis we are all using the same diagnostic criteria. I and others have noted this. It was a fact before we noted it. It was a fact before the Bobgans' began their dissent. It is a fact you've ignored.

Something being "medical" and "scientific" and being "theoretical" are not mutually exclusive conditions. That is a false dichotomy. This is one more in a long and growing list of logical fallacies existing in what exists of a case for your opinion. Your opinion isn't very medical, scientific, scriptural, logical, or correct. It is factually incorrect and logically fallacious and you were kindly, patiently, overbearingly, hopefully, and trustingly given the opportunity to make the case for your opinion and have refused to do so, instead relying on links to others' errors. You've chosen to be critical and support the critics rather than investigate the critics and become more informed. That's not scriptural, either, createdtoworship.

The fact is ever since Genesis 3:7 humans have been 1) estranged from their Creator, and 2) bound to the practice of trial-and-error-learning because our ability to learn from contrast - the comparison of the corrupt to the pure - has been severely compromised. The effort to learn incrementally based on trial and error process is necessary. Some call it science. The process upon which it is built is theoretical, not scientific and anyone, even the newbie, in any apologetics board will tell you science itself must rely upon appeals to faith and theory it cannot scientifically prove. That entire branch of your dissent therefore a red herring. We'll add that fallacy to the list you've deployed in your opinion.

Christian psychologists are doing their best to correct worldly wisdom. Without the still prevailing Christian paradigm and without Christians actively involved in the profession and development of the science both would look radically different. You should pay attention to that point. Every single Christian practitioner here in this discussion will tell you that. And this too will likely be ignored demonstrating the premise you're more invested in your opinion than the facts. That's not scriptural.

I have repeatedly stated all truth is God's truth. You have ignored that fact. That truth about truth means there isn't really anything called "worldly wisdom." It is an oxymoron and Christian psychologists understand that fact. I don't have the time or space to explain the presuppositional nature of that error in your opinion but you should be able to understand and engage the simple fact all truth is God's truth and psychologists - secular or religious - are simply trying to uncover the truth about the single most complex condition in creation: the human soul.

It's not a sensitive topic. Once again you've appealed to your own erroneous attempts at mind-reading that are more accurately a gross lack of empathy that is rude and disrespectful and you were admonished about it earlier, exhorted not to practice it further, and asked to repent. More content completely ignored despite two days to address the matter. That's not scriptural. The facts in evidence show you weren't prepared for the op-relevant facts wherever they've departed from what your sources say. We we're posting because we're "sensitive," we're posting because the op is wrong and we have a brother in the faith who is believing falsehoods and in need of correction. You've been shown kindness, patience, forbearance, hope, and trust. That is how we've been "sensitive."

What some people do or don't do is not a measure of a science's or a profession's veracity. That's an appeal to common practice and as such it is fallacious. We'll add that to the still growing list of fallacy employed to support your opinion. You haven't defined "crutch," you haven't evidence psychology's use as such, you haven't evidenced the degree of practice as a crutch, you haven't evidence anything. And it's not a "literal" crutch. lol. That was just a dumb mistake evidencing a lack of thought.

Technically, psychology has always existed. Humans have been studying the soul since there were humans. The moment Adam and Eve were self-aware they were studying the soul. I explained this in summary manner much eariler and that content has been sitting silently in the discussion..... ignored.

So... in conclusion: There's nt a single sentence about psychology in the post to which I now reply that is scripturally, logically, factually, or truthfully correct.

Yes, problems exist in psychology but that is true of any science in which secularists and theists compete. In the end Christians win because all truth is God's truth and Christian psychologists understand this and practice in faith and obedience.

And we're all now going to see how you respond to a cogent discussion that contains piles of evidence showing the Bobgans' and their views incorrect. Theirs is the worse kind of falsehood: arguments built on partial truths. That practice goes all the way back to Eden. We're waiting to see if you can and will consider any of the additional truth and facts presented to you in this op. We're looking to see if you can practice what you preach and respond in a scriptural manner.

Do so now, please.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
of course the Bible is an instruction manual. The verse I quoted earlier, proves that it is "profitable for instruction" "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," - 2 Timothy 3:16. God's word is more valid than any article, or any humanistic philosophy. One of Jesus' names was "wonderful counselor"- Isaiah 9:6, Jesus should take the role as our counselor: "In ancient Israel, a counselor was portrayed as a wise king, such as Solomon, giving guidance to his people (1 Kings 4:34; Micah 4:9). Isaiah uses this word again in 28:29 to describe the LORD: “This also comes from the LORD of hosts; he is wonderful in counsel and excellent in wisdom.” Jesus is a wise counselor. “He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person” (John 2:25). He is able to advise His people thoroughly because He is qualified in ways no human counselor is. In Christ is “hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:3), including the knowledge of all human nature (Psalm 139:1–2). Jesus always knows what we are going through, and He always knows the right course of action (Hebrews 4:15–16)."- quote from Gotquestions.org

There's a difference between the Bible containing instruction, and it being an instruction manual. But isn't it more about what God has done first and foremost?

I'd gently say to you that this subject of christianity and psychology is a controversial one that needs handled very wisely not to cause more harm than good. That takes one at the very least to have done a fair amount of reading over a wide area and also to have some theological and clinical training. The Bobgan's are one view on the issue of the integration of christianity psychology. There are others.

It may also be unwise if recovering from a period of mental difficulties to immerse oneself in a highly controversial topic of this nature. You will certainly come up against opposition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Once again we read another litany of fallacious responses that prove what I have posted correct.

The facts in evidence deonstrate the lack of knowledge. That appraisal is not an opinion; it is the logically necessary conclusion of the facts in vidence.

You're correct: I should be more edifying. You do need to get the facts because the posts display an enormous lack of knowledge. Are you now more receptive and willing to repent that a kinder wording has been posted? All you've done is put yourself on the spot. I can repent without shame and make amends right here and now in the discussion. Can you? Will you? Will we read a statement by you acknowledging the facts in evidence contrary to the Bobgans' nonsense and your personal opinion?

I'm not practicing as a psychologist to you here. It would be inappropriate to do so. The attempt to leverage that is a mockery of the op, the profession of psychology and me as a poster and you just got done admonishing me for being unscripturally derisive. Under any ordinary circumstances that is called hypocrisy. One does not need to be a psychologist to understand that is the likely inevitability of those who do not know what they are talking, those who do not know how or will not defend their own posts, and those arguing from the flesh, not the Spirit.

Your opinion is wrong. Any veracity that opinion might have in part has not been evidenced and it has been two days since the op was posted. You have had plenty of time to make the case for your opinion - not the Bobgans' opinion - and have for some unidentified reason(s) refused to do so despite many diverse posters bringing various concerns to your attention. The evidence shows you were not prepared. to explain or defend the errors posted under your opinion.

Yes, psychiatry is more of a medical science. Everyone agrees! That is what psychiatry is intended to be but because of the limits of the medical paradigm psychology arose. Medication does not cure all mental health or soul corruptions. That's why intra-psychic and systemic approaches fostering positive healing change are being developed. Many, if not most of them are quite successful and increasingly so as the scientific empircal evidence evidences! That which is not proven successful does not endure. It gets replaced with more efficacious knowledge, understanding, and practices.

Yes, psychiatry is more of a medical science but when it comes to diagnosis we are all using the same diagnostic criteria. I and others have noted this. It was a fact before we noted it. It was a fact before the Bobgans' began their dissent. It is a fact you've ignored.

Something being "medical" and "scientific" and being "theoretical" are not mutually exclusive conditions. That is a false dichotomy. This is one more in a long and growing list of logical fallacies existing in what exists of a case for your opinion. Your opinion isn't very medical, scientific, scriptural, logical, or correct. It is factually incorrect and logically fallacious and you were kindly, patiently, overbearingly, hopefully, and trustingly given the opportunity to make the case for your opinion and have refused to do so, instead relying on links to others' errors. You've chosen to be critical and support the critics rather than investigate the critics and become more informed. That's not scriptural, either, createdtoworship.

The fact is ever since Genesis 3:7 humans have been 1) estranged from their Creator, and 2) bound to the practice of trial-and-error-learning because our ability to learn from contrast - the comparison of the corrupt to the pure - has been severely compromised. The effort to learn incrementally based on trial and error process is necessary. Some call it science. The process upon which it is built is theoretical, not scientific and anyone, even the newbie, in any apologetics board will tell you science itself must rely upon appeals to faith and theory it cannot scientifically prove. That entire branch of your dissent therefore a red herring. We'll add that fallacy to the list you've deployed in your opinion.

Christian psychologists are doing their best to correct worldly wisdom. Without the still prevailing Christian paradigm and without Christians actively involved in the profession and development of the science both would look radically different. You should pay attention to that point. Every single Christian practitioner here in this discussion will tell you that. And this too will likely be ignored demonstrating the premise you're more invested in your opinion than the facts. That's not scriptural.

I have repeatedly stated all truth is God's truth. You have ignored that fact. That truth about truth means there isn't really anything called "worldly wisdom." It is an oxymoron and Christian psychologists understand that fact. I don't have the time or space to explain the presuppositional nature of that error in your opinion but you should be able to understand and engage the simple fact all truth is God's truth and psychologists - secular or religious - are simply trying to uncover the truth about the single most complex condition in creation: the human soul.

It's not a sensitive topic. Once again you've appealed to your own erroneous attempts at mind-reading that are more accurately a gross lack of empathy that is rude and disrespectful and you were admonished about it earlier, exhorted not to practice it further, and asked to repent. More content completely ignored despite two days to address the matter. That's not scriptural. The facts in evidence show you weren't prepared for the op-relevant facts wherever they've departed from what your sources say. We we're posting because we're "sensitive," we're posting because the op is wrong and we have a brother in the faith who is believing falsehoods and in need of correction. You've been shown kindness, patience, forbearance, hope, and trust. That is how we've been "sensitive."

What some people do or don't do is not a measure of a science's or a profession's veracity. That's an appeal to common practice and as such it is fallacious. We'll add that to the still growing list of fallacy employed to support your opinion. You haven't defined "crutch," you haven't evidence psychology's use as such, you haven't evidenced the degree of practice as a crutch, you haven't evidence anything. And it's not a "literal" crutch. lol. That was just a dumb mistake evidencing a lack of thought.

Technically, psychology has always existed. Humans have been studying the soul since there were humans. The moment Adam and Eve were self-aware they were studying the soul. I explained this in summary manner much eariler and that content has been sitting silently in the discussion..... ignored.

So... in conclusion: There's nt a single sentence about psychology in the post to which I now reply that is scripturally, logically, factually, or truthfully correct.

Yes, problems exist in psychology but that is true of any science in which secularists and theists compete. In the end Christians win because all truth is God's truth and Christian psychologists understand this and practice in faith and obedience.

And we're all now going to see how you respond to a cogent discussion that contains piles of evidence showing the Bobgans' and their views incorrect. Theirs is the worse kind of falsehood: arguments built on partial truths. That practice goes all the way back to Eden. We're waiting to see if you can and will consider any of the additional truth and facts presented to you in this op. We're looking to see if you can practice what you preach and respond in a scriptural manner.

Do so now, please.
I apologize sir, I am not sure I can debate with you anymore on this topic. You seem fairly angry and it comes out in your words. It's hurtful and in order to not reply in a hurt or angry way myself I must simply not engage with your conversation anymore. Feel free to engage with my posts or others but I simply will not respond. God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That LMFT Christian Counselor is well-educated in psychology and likely has more formal training in psychology than theology. LMFT Christian counselors are licensed therapists. They are paid by insurance as well as Medicaid.

Disclaimer: I am an LMFT. My graduate major was Clinical Psychology. And, no, not all psychologists are heathens.
My point is that psychology has by and large permeated the church. The bible alone is perfect For all manners of counselling. After all the owners manual is probaby the best source not man's wisdom. Freud was a humanist. A very smart humanist, but a humanist. He saw patterns in human behaviour, and as a result people can have a positive experience with psychology. But it is man centered. It's self esteem over Christ esteem, it's loving self over loving your neighbor and loving God.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
createdtoworship,

I spent my last few days working with two men who were yelled at an put down every day of their childhood by their fathers, one of which was clergy, a woman whose father died when she was young and had to take care of her mother and siblings because of the trauma that death had on the family, a man whose mother died when he was young and whose step-mother literally put poison in his food, a veteran who served in ordinance disposal in Iraq, a man who was repeatedly sodomized by a family member and again by clergy beginning at age nine, a clinical borderline personality, a woman who was stripped naked and beaten with a broomstick or whipped with a belt beginning at age 6 until age 15 (the common start and end ages for chronic childhood abuse, btw) and three couples where one or both of the spouses have committed adultery. Tomorrow and Saturday I'll meet with two more couples dealing with adultery, an alcoholic who suffered abuse as a child, two people who solicit strangers online solely for the sake of sex, a victim of incest, and another pair of adult children of alcoholic parents. Those are the ones I can think of without actually looking at my schedule!

This is typical fair for the therapists here who've contributed to this op. Ask them. They'll tell you. We know stuff know one should know.

And the vast majority of those folks will get where they want to get in their healing because God is a God of healing Who made the body and soul to heal when the wounds are correctly treated.

We (Christian therapists) don't take credit for that.

I tell you this so you understand there isn't a single word anyone at anytime posts in an internet discussion board that causes any of us, including me, any of the kind of distress you think I seem to be feeling. I, for one, am simply not that invested in any cyber-discussion. This place is a breath of fresh air compared to the conversation I routinely have. Your thinking otherwise is solely a function of Luke 6:45.

Look it up.

It's Psyc 101 :D.
I apologize sir
No, you don't. Nothing in these posts I've received bears any evidence of an apology. You can't claim to apologize and then judge a person! Furthermore, apologies are worldly. You're here complaining about psychology being "worldly wisdom" while you practice worldly practices. If you read through the NT you won't find a single author directing anyone to say, "I apologize," and you most definitely won't find them directing any believers to say, "I apologize but you seem X, Y, and Z"!

Look it up.

If you wish to express your apprehension then do so without (falsely) blaming me with appeals to emotion.
...I am not sure I can debate with you anymore on this topic. You seem fairly angry and it comes out in your words.
Well, we both know a "debate" was not asked of you. Just a simple discussion beginning with you evidencing your opinion.

But let's put your words to the test. Are you willing to practice scripture? Maybe a little Matthew 5 and 18 is in order?

What specifically, is it I posted that is necessarily angry?

Because if you can't make that case then don't put that dross on me.

Emotions have off-topically, repeatedly and unnecessarily been assigned to both me and my posts even after having been asked not to make such attributions. Now, as a consequence of something you assigned to me and my posts you're now claiming you can't continue. In other words, you report there is a problem where none exists and then use that self-inserted imaginary problem to justify your own behavior.

Can you see the problem there?

It's hurtful and in order to not reply in a hurt or angry way myself I must simply not engage with your conversation anymore.
Now that I can respect. That's you taking responsibility for you, even if it is about something you're projecting into the exchanges.
Feel free to engage with my posts or others but I simply will not respond. God bless you.
And that is the problem overall: when presented with facts contrary to the op you feel hurt and fear your own responses will be angry and hurtful.

I encourage you to look at that.

It doesn't take a psychologist to solve that porblem but I'll bet a clinically trained Christian therapist could help you there ;).

Be better prepared the next time you bring up Bobgan. Like any other human endeavor it can be used in Godly manner, misused, or abused. Psychology is no different. Read the resources I recommended and become better informed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Healing with Jesus

merciful listener
Jun 5, 2014
USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope this isn't off-topic, but...

Can a Christian counselor / psychologist / psychotherapist be of any help to non-believers?? Let's say Medicaid or Medicare is paying, so government dollars are involved. A practitioner probably can't push a religious agenda, right? So, how, if at all, may he/she be able to help the lost?

(In addition to fervent prayer, of course...)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point is that psychology has by and large permeated the church. The bible alone is perfect For all manners of counselling. After all the owners manual is probaby the best source not man's wisdom. Freud was a humanist. A very smart humanist, but a humanist. He saw patterns in human behaviour, and as a result people can have a positive experience with psychology. But it is man centered. It's self esteem over Christ esteem, it's loving self over loving your neighbor and loving God.

I've often gotten client referrals from pastoral counselors who realize they are in over their heads. Pastoral counselors can only go so far with mental health issues then they refer. The inverse is also true that therapists should only go so far into theological issues and then refer someone to see their clergy.

That LMFT Christian Counselor has lots of training in psychology. Their theological training, in my experience, is limited to the fact that they went to church last Sunday and dropped into Sunday School class. I've worked in secular agencies with therapists who later went on to work in private practice as "Christian Counselors." It's my opinion that the label often has more to do with trying to gain market share from the Christian Community than much real difference in actual counseling practice.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
createdtoworship,

I spent my last few days working with two men who were yelled at an put down every day of their childhood by their fathers, one of which was clergy, a woman whose father died when she was young and had to take care of her mother and siblings because of the trauma that death had on the family, a man whose mother died when he was young and whose step-mother literally put poison in his food, a veteran who served in ordinance disposal in Iraq, a man who was repeatedly sodomized by a family member and again by clergy beginning at age nine, a clinical borderline personality, a woman who was stripped naked and beaten with a broomstick or whipped with a belt beginning at age 6 until age 15 (the common start and end ages for chronic childhood abuse, btw) and three couples where one or both of the spouses have committed adultery. Tomorrow and Saturday I'll meet with two more couples dealing with adultery, an alcoholic who suffered abuse as a child, two people who solicit strangers online solely for the sake of sex, a victim of incest, and another pair of adult children of alcoholic parents. Those are the ones I can think of without actually looking at my schedule!

This is typical fair for the therapists here who've contributed to this op. Ask them. They'll tell you. We know stuff know one should know.

And the vast majority of those folks will get where they want to get in their healing because God is a God of healing Who made the body and soul to heal when the wounds are correctly treated.

We (Christian therapists) don't take credit for that.

I tell you this so you understand there isn't a single word anyone at anytime posts in an internet discussion board that causes any of us, including me, any of the kind of distress you think I seem to be feeling. I, for one, am simply not that invested in any cyber-discussion. This place is a breath of fresh air compared to the conversation I routinely have. Your thinking otherwise is solely a function of Luke 6:45.

Look it up.

It's Psyc 101 :D.

No, you don't. Nothing in these posts I've received bears any evidence of an apology. You can't claim to apologize and then judge a person! Furthermore, apologies are worldly. You're here complaining about psychology being "worldly wisdom" while you practice worldly practices. If you read through the NT you won't find a single author directing anyone to say, "I apologize," and you most definitely won't find them directing any believers to say, "I apologize but you seem X, Y, and Z"!

Look it up.

If you wish to express your apprehension then do so without (falsely) blaming me with appeals to emotion.

Well, we both know a "debate" was not asked of you. Just a simple discussion beginning with you evidencing your opinion.

But let's put your words to the test. Are you willing to practice scripture? Maybe a little Matthew 5 and 18 is in order?

What specifically, is it I posted that is necessarily angry?

Because if you can't make that case then don't put that dross on me.

Emotions have off-topically, repeatedly and unnecessarily been assigned to both me and my posts even after having been asked not to make such attributions. Now, as a consequence of something you assigned to me and my posts you're now claiming you can't continue. In other words, you report there is a problem where none exists and then use that self-inserted imaginary problem to justify your own behavior.

Can you see the problem there?

Now that I can respect. That's you taking responsibility for you, even if it is about something you're projecting into the exchanges.

And that is the problem overall: when presented with facts contrary to the op you feel hurt and fear your own responses will be angry and hurtful.

I encourage you to look at that.

It doesn't take a psychologist to solve that porblem but I'll bet a clinically trained Christian therapist could help you there ;).

Be better prepared the next time you bring up Bobgan. Like any other human endeavor it can be used in Godly manner, misused, or abused. Psychology is no different. Read the resources I recommended and become better informed.
like I have said, your posts seem very hurt and bitter (If I may say so). I am not speaking of myself but of God's word. I didn't write or imagine this stuff, it's His word. I realize you had a hard time with some clients earlier. I am sorry for that. I would however recommend a book for your library, it's called "counseling God's way." This is a person who went to school as a psychologist and later realized much of Freud's teaching was against the Bible, and started counseling using the Bible.... He wrote this book: https://www.amazon.com/How-Counsel-Gods-Way-Hoekstra/dp/0967236908/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1576822675&refinements=p_27:Bob+Hoekstra&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Bob+Hoekstra

I will be buying this book myself next week and will convert it to word and pdf and other forms. If you buy it yourself I can share the other formats with you, if you want.

in conclusion, I believe the creator who created us knows our pain, knows our hurt. Jesus was crucified by the church of the time, the religion of Jesus day rejected Him, and killed Him. Christianity is not about religion but about a relationship. Realizing that was a life changer for me.

Upvote 0