Is Pierce the Veil Christian or Satanic?

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Im not talking about metal music...I don't listen to that stuff...I listen to indie rock and anything else that sounds interesting...I used to listen to rap music but its so degrading against women and has the f word every verse..

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Im not talking about metal music...I don't listen to that stuff...I listen to indie rock and anything else that sounds interesting...I used to listen to rap music but its so degrading against women and has the f word every verse..

You should get into certain genres of metal and "cores". Also, not all rap does that. If you weed past sell-outs and most American and other foreign rappers, you would see: they're better than Nicki Minaj (Who basically got worse after her first release. Her underground stuff is much better) And you can easily find underground artists who are great at what they do minus the degrading women part. Heck, if you want mainstream- look at the older Eminem.

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're talking about Metal, absolutely not. Name some bands then? You could always refer to my very long post that I typed up as well to re-enforce my refutations with another user, or I could make an entirely new one.

If you want womanizing and "isms" you could always listen to Skinhead or Racist Metal (Which is a genre, but not publicly brought out). Funny enough, not all Christian Metal is good.....I know of a couple bands who swear and make horrible statements towards people who are Gay and have some of the worst possible music out there. Heck, there are local bands in my area that do that and people actually go to their shows.

I don't know of any christian metal that make horrible statements towards anyone but probably the only metal bands I listen to are Red and Skillet. Some artists use their spot light to spread their feelings. The Bible is pretty clear on homosexuality but it also teaches that we should love everyone and hate the sin not the sinner.

I know I used to listen to bands like Metallica, Tool and Rage against the Machine and I could tell a difference in my attitude when listening to them

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know of any christian metal that make horrible statements towards anyone but probably the only metal bands I listen to are Red and Skillet. Some artists use their spot light to spread their feelings. The Bible is pretty clear on homosexuality but it also teaches that we should love everyone and hate the sin not the sinner.

I know I used to listen to bands like Metallica, Tool and Rage against the Machine and I could tell a difference in my attitude when listening to them

Red and Skillet aren't metal by and standards - they're the generic description of a Rock or Hard Rock band but being predominantly Christian and outputting Christian music. By generic I mean musically they don't have what would be called "Metal" and even the genre Metal is VERY generic as you have sub-genres and fusion sub-genres as well.

Rage against the Machine

Amazing group. Simply amazing. They still stand strong after all these years and I hear of an EP coming soon~

Upvote 0

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Red and Skillet aren't metal by and standards - they're the generic description of a Rock or Hard Rock band but being predominantly Christian and outputting Christian music. By generic I mean musically they don't have what would be called "Metal" and even the genre Metal is VERY generic as you have sub-genres and fusion sub-genres as well.

Amazing group. Simply amazing. They still stand strong after all these years and I hear of an EP coming soon~

RATM is still one of my favorite bands. Love their passion for social justice and their music is amazing. I hope that's true about the EP.....

Indie rock is awesome. I've really been into it lately. Particularly stuff like Minus The Bear, Arctic Monkeys, Sleigh Bells, Bloc Party and a lot of others. Then again, the whole "Indie" label is really wide. There are so many types of indie bands.... Kinda crazy. But awesome.

The rap music is like most is stuff like Beastie Boys and The Roots. They tend to stay away from what you have mentioned. Beastie Boys actually have more recent songs that are respectful to women and apologizing for the things they've said that are disrespectful. Plus, Adam Horovitz is married to one of the most influential feminists of the 90's.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
14 is old enough to make your own decisions about music-If you can decide to be a Christian-look at the lyrics on any website-if they make you uncomfortable discard the song from your playlist--many things out there for you to like. :)

Do not start now letting others tell you what is good/evil-YOU decide..

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've never really used bad language but my biggest problem with RATM was the songs that really got stuck in my head were the ones with the worst language. Also I think some of their songs are a little over the top. Some of the songs imply to me that all or the majority of cops are raciest and its that kind of thinking that keeps racism alive IMO.

I will say this, they were the group that got me listening to rap and now christian rap is probably my favorite type of music.

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've never really used bad language but my biggest problem with RATM was the songs that really got stuck in my head were the ones with the worst language. Also I think some of their songs are a little over the top. Some of the songs imply to me that all or the majority of cops are raciest and its that kind of thinking that keeps racism alive IMO.

I will say this, they were the group that got me listening to rap and now christian rap is probably my favorite type of music.

Also I think some of their songs are a little over the top. Some of the songs imply to me that all or the majority of cops are raciest and its that kind of thinking that keeps racism alive IMO.

They ARE and are so for a reason. Listen to Killing In The Name, Bombtrack, Sleep Now In The Fire and tell me they're not bashing the country they live in :p. You'd be surprised, because it's true. Cops in my area have nothing else better to do then catch college students with a dub of Cannabis on them. They really are abusive in the area I live in and many of them need to get the stick out of their ass.

Upvote 0

smithwood

Jan 9, 2013
✟7,674.00
Faith
Christian
My personal opinion on this is that listening to a certain type of music is not sinful... however its what you do with the message and opinions of the artist that decides if its sinful or not.

I agree with this. It helps me to make the right choices as a full time musician

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrickUponBrick

One Among The Fence
May 31, 2011
Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Beastie Boys are good....haven't heard of the Roots though...I also listen to MUSE because they have some awesome music..

Muse is good as well. Although with their songs I've noticed I either really like them or just think their okay....

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They ARE and are so for a reason. Listen to Killing In The Name, Bombtrack, Sleep Now In The Fire and tell me they're not bashing the country they live in :p. You'd be surprised, because it's true. Cops in my area have nothing else better to do then catch college students with a dub of Cannabis on them. They really are abusive in the area I live in and many of them need to get the stick out of their.

So the cops have nothing better to do than catch college students who are breaking the law? Would you prefer they sit in their cars and eat doughnuts?

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So the cops have nothing better to do than catch college students who are breaking the law? Would you prefer they sit in their cars and eat doughnuts?

Cannabis shouldn't even be illegal. I'd get into a Cannabis debate, but you would be beyond incredulous to what i'd have to say. I don't mean that in a bad way, but most people react that way when I give them the facts, especially on a plant that I know better than the DEA themselves, like other people who use Cannabis responsibly.

Cops are always different. What I was getting at was that the cops in my area really don't have anything. My town is nouvu-riche kids and white-collar people. Alot of them work for big companies and make six digits a year like my father. Literally, unless you go into the city of Bridgeport the cops in my town have nothing to do and don't even go into BPT. They just stay in my town and nab people who don't do anything wrong, and it really happens. Not to mention, two Sargents on the force are under probation themselves for failing to uphold their duties and using Probable Cause to detain two college students who apparently had "Ten dollars worth of Cannabis and were under the influence and resisted arrest"

When they were simply getting out of their car and the cop had only assumed as they had alot of food with them (The cop assumed it was munchies and assumed it was from weed) And when the two college students did not consent to a search (Which you can legally do and the cop can't do anything about it, just let you go) the cop detained them wrongly. Again this goes back to Cannabis, which is illegal for all the wrong reasons and is sadly demonized in today's culture.

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still don't think you can fault an officer for doing their job. Studies have shown that driving under the influence of marijuana increases your chance of an accident so just as if the suspect someone is driving while drunk they are just doing their job.

I'm sure there are currupt police officers out there, that's just the type of world we live in but if you make it a point to not break the law you won't get worried every time you see a cop. That's my biggest problem with RATM, if a young person listens to them they will more than likely be influenced to dis-like cops. They will also probably pick up some language that Christians should not use.

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I still don't think you can fault an officer for doing their job. Studies have shown that driving under the influence of marijuana increases your chance of an accident so just as if the suspect someone is driving while drunk they are just doing their job.

I'm sure there are currupt police officers out there, that's just the type of world we live in but if you make it a point to not break the law you won't get worried every time you see a cop. That's my biggest problem with RATM, if a young person listens to them they will more than likely be influenced to dis-like cops. They will also probably pick up some language that Christians should not use.

I still don't think you can fault an officer for doing their job.

This I agree on.

Studies have shown that driving under the influence of marijuana increases your chance of an accident

I laughed then saw you were serious. I've driven and my skills have improved if anything. Don't believe me? Alright~

That's a question that's difficult to answer because it's so vague. Scientists have approached the problem by breaking it down into four more specific questions:

"Some scientists have suggested that the reason why stoned drivers do not crash more in laboratory simulations or road tests, even though they are clearly impaired, is because cannabis users tend to think they are more stoned than they really are, and do their best to compensate for it. In contrast, drunk drivers typically think they are less drunk than they really are. So in a study, people were given 1/3 of a Joint, drivers rated themselves as impaired even though their driving performance was not. In contrast, at a blood alcohol concentration of 0.04% (slightly less than two cans of beer; half the legal limit in most US states), driving performance was impaired even though drivers rated themselves as fine Cannabis smokers think they are driving badly when they are stoned and they also drive more cautiously.
Stoned drivers increase their following distance, try to overtake less, and drive more slowly. The opposite is true of drunk drivers. Although from the results of studies on brain circuitry you would think that cannabis use leads to unsafe driving, simulator and on-road studies have suggested that it can have the opposite effect. "

Cruising on Cannabis

However, every responsible Cannabis user knows their body and limits and if they cannot control their body, their buddy will take the keys from them and they'll have to satisfy the munchies at a later time.

if a young person listens to them they will more than likely be influenced to dis-like cops. They will also probably pick up some language that Christians should not use.

Not really. RATM has always been critical of America as a whole, and don't like how it's run so they use music as an output. Many of their stances agree with modern Christianity today as well. Making that general of a statement is obviously a slippery slope and really has no impact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
black-sheep-20090511023507198.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2013
✟15,129.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Okay, so I am completely in love with Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, Falling in Reverse and bands like that. I don't really know if its bad or not though. I'm a 13 year old girl(Yes I am a girl, and I listen to that type of music.) and I've changed a lot in 2012, Not really sure what happened, but now people call me 'emo' or 'scene'. This probably sounds stupid, but I feel as if I'm drifting away from my religion. As I said, I have changed a lot, I listen to different music (Before all I listened to was Christian music), I have changed my style, and my personality. (Lets just say I got into a very bad habit of cussing or cursing, whatever you want to call it.) I stopped going to Church and my life is pretty much horrible. I need help, and it would really help if someone would tell me if this style music is bad? I know many people call it 'demonic' or whatever, but I don't feel that way.

Upvote 0

Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, so I am completely in love with Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, Falling in Reverse and bands like that. I don't really know if its bad or not though. I'm a 13 year old girl(Yes I am a girl, and I listen to that type of music.) and I've changed a lot in 2012, Not really sure what happened, but now people call me 'emo' or 'scene'. This probably sounds stupid, but I feel as if I'm drifting away from my religion. As I said, I have changed a lot, I listen to different music (Before all I listened to was Christian music), I have changed my style, and my personality. (Lets just say I got into a very bad habit of cussing or cursing, whatever you want to call it.) I stopped going to Church and my life is pretty much horrible. I need help, and it would really help if someone would tell me if this style music is bad? I know many people call it 'demonic' or whatever, but I don't feel that way.

I'll paste what I had earlier!

Pierce The Veil - Caraphernalia: A song about Ex Girlfriends-Vic Fuentes' in particular. "The last time I saw my ex-girlfriend, she left all kinds of random things behind at my house: travel shampoo, a razor in the shower, hair clips, etc. It was basically just a bunch of stuff that kept reminding me of her. After a while, it made me miss her, and I wondered why we ever broke up in the first place. When I wrote the music for the chorus, I knew right away that I wanted to ask my friend Jeremy McKinnon [of A Day To Remember] to do the screaming parts on the chorus and bridge. A few weeks after I wrote the song, I approached Jeremy with the idea and he agreed to sing on the album. It turned out to be one of my favorite tracks once we collaborated. One of my favorite things to do is make music with my friends. That collaboration makes the songs very special to me."

I'm sure you can connect it and so can many people with ex boyfriends and girlfriends.

Match Into Water: A song about Vic's ex who went through cancer yet died through Chemo. The theme overall as well? Getting through a rough time and Cancer in particular as many of Vic's friends are plagued. I kissed the scars on her skin
I still think you’re beautiful
and I don’t ever want to lose my best friend
I screamed out, “God, you vulture”
bring her back or take me with her

How does it feel, how does it feel?
Well, it feels like I’m on fire
Wake up, I know you can hear me

The scars meaning the IV's, and how vic cares about the ones he loved and still does. And being on fire? Many people who go through chemo equate it to being lit afire.

Even the album artwork on Collide The Sky is symbolic.

"The theme to the album artwork is “jumping off of the ground that is breaking beneath you.” The idea is to inspire hope amongst the chaos that may happening around you. If the ground was breaking beneath your feet, your first reaction may be to run and jump to safety, and it’s that moment where you are suspended in the air that I am focusing on. A still frame where you’re not sure if the person is falling or flying. It’s about freeing yourself from the things that are breaking or falling apart in your life, and inspiring a sense of hope from the desperation."

Also, Religon and Music have nothing to do with each other, nor are you influenced by the music. Oh and the people calling you "Emo" are idiots. Emo isn't a subculture, it's a genre of music. The music you listen to is in no way demonic. If you want to get the meanings behind songs -

Songmeanings.net

You literally search your song, and the comments hold pretty much your answers.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2013
✟15,129.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'll paste what I had earlier!

Pierce The Veil - Caraphernalia: A song about Ex Girlfriends-Vic Fuentes' in particular. "The last time I saw my ex-girlfriend, she left all kinds of random things behind at my house: travel shampoo, a razor in the shower, hair clips, etc. It was basically just a bunch of stuff that kept reminding me of her. After a while, it made me miss her, and I wondered why we ever broke up in the first place. When I wrote the music for the chorus, I knew right away that I wanted to ask my friend Jeremy McKinnon [of A Day To Remember] to do the screaming parts on the chorus and bridge. A few weeks after I wrote the song, I approached Jeremy with the idea and he agreed to sing on the album. It turned out to be one of my favorite tracks once we collaborated. One of my favorite things to do is make music with my friends. That collaboration makes the songs very special to me."

I'm sure you can connect it and so can many people with ex boyfriends and girlfriends.

Match Into Water: A song about Vic's ex who went through cancer yet died through Chemo. The theme overall as well? Getting through a rough time and Cancer in particular as many of Vic's friends are plagued. I kissed the scars on her skin
I still think you’re beautiful
and I don’t ever want to lose my best friend
I screamed out, “God, you vulture”
bring her back or take me with her

How does it feel, how does it feel?
Well, it feels like I’m on fire
Wake up, I know you can hear me

The scars meaning the IV's, and how vic cares about the ones he loved and still does. And being on fire? Many people who go through chemo equate it to being lit afire.

Even the album artwork on Collide The Sky is symbolic.

"The theme to the album artwork is “jumping off of the ground that is breaking beneath you.” The idea is to inspire hope amongst the chaos that may happening around you. If the ground was breaking beneath your feet, your first reaction may be to run and jump to safety, and it’s that moment where you are suspended in the air that I am focusing on. A still frame where you’re not sure if the person is falling or flying. It’s about freeing yourself from the things that are breaking or falling apart in your life, and inspiring a sense of hope from the desperation."

Also, Religon and Music have nothing to do with each other, nor are you influenced by the music. Oh and the people calling you "Emo" are idiots. Emo isn't a subculture, it's a genre of music. The music you listen to is in no way demonic. If you want to get the meanings behind songs -

Songmeanings.net

You literally search your song, and the comments hold pretty much your answers.
Thank you. I'm still pretty confused though. I see so many people say "No, don't listen to it, its demonic or satanic." and then others say "Its fine listen to what you want.". I do know that Kellin Quinn from Sleeping with Sirens is Christian (Or was) so that makes me a little bit more comfortable with listening to them.

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I'm still pretty confused though. I see so many people say "No, don't listen to it, its demonic or satanic." and then others say "Its fine listen to what you want.". I do know that Kellin Quinn from Sleeping with Sirens is Christian (Or was) so that makes me a little bit more comfortable with listening to them.

Did you start listening to the music before your life changed or after? What took your focus off of God? I can't say what it was that did it for you but you obviously know you need to change so I would start by eliminating anything in your life that may be bringing you down. Listening to music, watching tv or hanging out with friends who constantly use bad language can definitely pull you down. If you are the only Christian amoung your friends then you should be the good influence not the other way around.
[staff edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0