Is Our World Really as Plain as it Seems?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think I read it, but I think it required more time to respond to than I had wanted to give at the time. Pro 15:28.

It was my definition on grace.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I remember, it was a long definition, and I don't remember having any big problem with it. I gave the short, popular definition of "unmerited favor" of the grace that "saves." I believe you brought out that "grace" is used in other ways as well, which is true.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As I remember, it was a long definition, and I don't remember having any big problem with it. I gave the short, popular definition of "unmerited favor" of the grace that "saves." I believe you brought out that "grace" is used in other ways as well, which is true.

As a pastor, it is good to have the bigger scope to teach. I hope it gave a little enlightenment, at least, on Hebrew writing styles.

Another section of scripture with a different Hebrew writing style is in 1 John. Chapter one every other verse is between light and darkness, the saved and unsaved between 5-10. Start with verse 5 which is light. Therefore, 5, 7 and 9 are who's power makes us saved, walking in the Spirit, how to become saved. Whereas, the even numbers 6, 8, and 10 come out of the heresy of the Gnostics that John spoke against in chapter 4. They did not believe sins of the flesh were sins at all; only sins of the spirit claiming Christ did not come in the flesh at all, but was only in the appearance of flesh, and only died in the spirit. This is why verses 8 and 10 are not together, though of the same thought. Vs. 9 separates them, again the light from the total darkness.

Another section using the same writing style is in the same epistle is chapter 3. Again, starting with 4-10. You will see the evil is contained in only the even numbers starting with 4. It is interesting seeing as the verse numbers and chapter numbers were added later. In fact, the first sentence of vs. 6 should have been the last sentence of vs. 5. With the last sentence of vs. 6 standing alone.

It is important to take into consideration what the authors meant to get the correct interpretation. How many preachers do you know that erroneously use 1 John 1:8 as a justification for sin in the life of a Christian? When in reality, vs. 7 describes the Christian, as is the message of 1 John 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Science can and has been wrong but the great thing about science is that it is self correcting. Many theories have been discarded or modified based on new evidence. Who here has ever heard of phlogiston or caloric or aether or even Darwin's other theory? And the remarkable thing is that the "new evidence" is always found by other scientists. The net result is that over time science gets closer and closer to the truth but always based on evidence.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

So I hope you will give some great consideration for what the apostle's meant when they said,

And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. Acts 4:33

1 John 3 will make a lot more sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I took biophysical chemistry (a few years back lol) and was forced to study introductory quantum mechanics. All the rules of traditional physics weren't completely thrown out they just had to modify things a bit if I remember correctly.
No. It could not have been more dramatic actually, and in very simple terms, AE ; the reason being that it introduced paradoxes, absoutely repugnant to reason - the very antithesis of the classical, mechanistic 'clockwork' physics of the day-to-day world on the human scale. Paradoxes, after all, are oxymorons which just happen to be true.

Being of the 'scientistic', materialist persuasion, the atheist establishment holds to this day, that everything will eventually yield its secrets to the all-powerful, ultra rational scientific mind. And well, that is just madness. Here is a little of Niels Bohr's 'take' on the nature of matter in the light of what QM had yielded by way of understanding it :

'The great extension of our experience in recent years has brought light to the insufficiency of our simple mechanical conceptions and, as a consequence, has shaken the foundation on which the customary interpretation of observation was based.'

'Isolated material particles are abstractions, their properties being definable and observable only through their interaction with other systems.'

'There is no quantum world. There is only an abstract quantum physical description. It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what we can say about nature...'

'Every sentence I utter must be understood not as an affirmation, but as a question.'

'Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it.'

'No, no, you are not thinking, you are just being logical.'

'I go into the Upanishads to ask questions.'

Fascinating, aren't they ?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a vast and robust spiritual landscape located right here on earth. Science doesn't find these things because science doesn't look for these things by definition. Science is the study of the natural world.

You can see glimpses of this through the Bible. Take a look at Judges 5 it describes a heavenly battle right on top of an earthly battle between Israel and the Canaanites. The spirit world is just as robust as the physical one but it's largest intersection is you rather than the physical landscape.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or is Science right?
There is a lot of fake news and a lot of fake science out there right now. For example: Fake Science tells you that processed food is safe and healthy. Real science says to avoid eating processed foods.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0