Is OCD preventing me from using my music passion for God?

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always had a passion for music and I wanted to start composing Christian songs. One of the reasons I decided to leave my original band was because all we did was play secular songs, and now I feel like I want to use my talents for Christian composition.

I was looking into getting an Apple Ipad 2 with Garageband to start my recording sessions. When looking at Youtube reviews of Garageband, I saw a guitar icon in the 3rd slot. The shape of the guitar reminded me of an advertisement several years ago when I saw it in a store, and they named it 'devilish'.

The '3rd' slot also reminded me of something holy. Am I doing something wrong if I buy an Ipad2 (or the Ipod Touch, now that it has Garageband) to work on Christian songs and music in general?

Last edited:

mytel

Sep 18, 2009
australia
✟9,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What you are worried about specifically? Why would buying a tool to help you make music be doing something wrong? I have played around very briefly with garage band and it seems like an awesome fun app. Ipads are also very cool, but you were going to buy an ipad just for this app? Are there similar programs available for pc around the same price? $500~ (ipad) +$5~ (garageband)? Then again if you wanted an ipad for other uses as well, they are really good imo.

I can understand your feelings as i tend to have similar thoughts sometimes about the kind of work i do (art related), but alot of the time it is just irrational and doesnt make sense, the more you listen to it the worse it can get. There is nothing wrong with getting a program to help you make christian music, any thoughts that try to convince you otherwise you should try to ignore them.

Upvote 0

guitarintro

Jul 5, 2008
✟8,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you are worried about specifically? Why would buying a tool to help you make music be doing something wrong? I have played around very briefly with garage band and it seems like an awesome fun app. Ipads are also very cool, but you were going to buy an ipad just for this app? Are there similar programs available for pc around the same price? $500~ (ipad) +$5~ (garageband)? Then again if you wanted an ipad for other uses as well, they are really good imo.

I can understand your feelings as i tend to have similar thoughts sometimes about the kind of work i do (art related), but alot of the time it is just irrational and doesnt make sense, the more you listen to it the worse it can get. There is nothing wrong with getting a program to help you make christian music, any thoughts that try to convince you otherwise you should try to ignore them.

Thanks for the clarification. I think my OCD is getting better, but from time to time it triggers when I get tired and irrational thoughts pop up.

I looked into the IPAD2 and due to cost, I think I am going to get an iTouch instead (for less than half the price), since it has garageband too. And it has WIFI.

Alright, I guess I will go ahead and start making some good music! :)

Upvote 0

Leonfrost

May 23, 2011
✟15,874.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm also a musician, and before you go about spending money on this device, let me warn you: DON'T. Use your computer, use the free(ish) program REAPER instead of Garageband (think ProTools but free-ish, whereas garageband is really quite lacking in features), and use the money you were going to spend to get a POD HD for digital guitars, or if you're really committed, grab something like an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface, an SM57, and mic up an amplifier, only if you've got a really good amp.

And if you ever want to talk shop, I can help you with just about anything. I know it can be hard to get into music production, so please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you may have :)

Upvote 0

whale8jonah

Aug 18, 2011
Heerde, Holland
Visit site
✟7,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I was a little confused about what in particular you were worried about. Was it because you wanted to purchase some software but it had the name 'devilish'?

If this is the case, I personally wouldn't worry about it. You wouldn't be buying the software because you approved or wanted to support the devil, rather you are purchasing the software because of its capabilities (although of course, see the previous replies!).

The other thing is that you will be using the software for Christian purposes...that can only be good! It's a bit like those who don't like Christmas trees etc. because it has pagan roots (no pun intended! ;) ) but Christmas trees are now used as a symbol for a wonderful Christian event. God can take a bad thing, and get good to come out of it. Here's Romans 8.28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0