Is Observing the 7th day Sabbath a Requirement for Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

1Corinthians 13:2 - agape
Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I keep seeing "legalistic" again and again. How would that be the case when ALMIGHTY GOD carves 10 simple things in STONE with His own finger and the one, the only one that says REMEMBER, we are to forget? I don't think so. Not even if an angel of light showed up and told me face to face that Sunday is the new day. That part IS going to happen. For those who pay homage to Rome, it already has.

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4:1-11-

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

How can this be refuted? It cannot. Except in an example of unbelief. IF Jesus had spoken of ANOTHER DAY, another Sabbath, He would have said so.

vs 16-
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When God took them by the hand and led them ,they became His, so of course He said to keep His Sabbath. He didn't tell them to keep it BECAUSE they came out of Egypt. THAT is taking something out of context and plain silly. Read vs 12&14- It's God's Sabbath. The same one Jesus is Lord of. He wasn't talking about Sunday. He told them to take it because it's HIS - from the beginning. They were HIS. I am HIS.
On the rest of it, the yoke of bondage. It's not bondage when you walk in the Spirit. The Spirit empowers you to walk in righteousness, not sin. It cannot be done without the Spirit. Free from THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH- which is the wage of sin. The law is just and holy and good and how sin is recognized. Romans 3:31 makes it crystal clear, as do so many more. Then 6:15&16 clarify it, but only IF you seek righteousness through obedience. The law is only of no effect if you don't break it. He is trying to explain walking a Spirit filled life. Jesus said OBEY HIM and He would send you the Holy Ghost which will teach you ALL things. That includes the part about ALL who follow the Lamb becoming Isreal, the remnant, and yes I've posted a very thorough thread on that too. Heaven isn't going to be segregated. It's going to be full of righteous, sin free souls who allowed the Spirit to guide them here on earth in total submission and obedience to Jesus Christ. Those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. You can't tell me that that means anything other than what it says. Peace

sabbathkeeper&wife,

1. I believe you mid understood and misconstrued practically everything I mentioned.

2. You obviously know nothing much about Jewish history.

3. You said God giving them the sabbath had nothing to with the Red Sea deliverance. I gave you Deuteronomy 5:15 that proves it was in Memorial of the RSD plain as day. So you are wrong.

4. I didn't say it wasn't Saturday for Jews celebrate on Saturday. They still did in the early church because of culture. Orthodox Jews still worship on Saturday.
They can do that now as long as they don't look to it as salvation. Every covenant God made was his.
The Abrahamic covenant was God's covenant but was not the same as the law of Moses which came because of transgressions and was for a specific nation for a specific period of time which was till the seed should come which was the Messiah. Galatians 3:19. You are wrong again.

5. The early church had synagogues and most of the Jews were in the church because they came from Jesus ministry.
So basically everyone worshipped in a synogogue.
Gentiles were not under the Mosaic law and things changed with Paul's ministry to the gentiles after the early church day of the first 8-10 years later or so.
Paul knew the difference between Moses law and grace of Jesus Christ and the cross especially to the gentiles.
Peter's ministry was stronger to the Jews and hints of the KoH message.
Peter even said Paul said things hard to understand.
Colossians 2:16-17 Paul shows that the sabbath was not Saturday only for the gentiles in the church age and that is why they were not to judge each other about the sabbath on one day only and restraining things such as no working and can travel only a certain distance etc. These would be the arguments that would have been made. There would be no judging for keeping the sabbath holy and keeping it holy is not in the restrictions of the law.
The sabbath as before was a future shadow which will be in the millennial kingdom with the Jews for their nation will be at the head of the nations and the law will go forth from Zion. Isaiah 2:2-4.
If the sabbath was not to be judged completely then it could not have been a future shadow and Paul would have never made the difference between the shadow and the body of Christ. So you are wrong again.

6. Waking in the Spirit is different from why the law of Moses which was Holy and Good.
Romans 8:2 is talking about the law of the spirit which is different from someone walking in the Spirit.
The law of the Spirit happened at Calvary and destroyed the law of sin and death so it wouldn't take advantage of the new covenant believer like it did the old covenant believer. This doesn't mean we cannot fall back into the state like they but we have a better promise to be able to overcome because of the cross. One must understand the Mosaic law was done away because of it's weaknesses not the Holy and Good things themselves.
The law could only say thou shalt not which was good and better if it was fullfilled. The weakness was it could not help the law keeper perform the commandment but the power of Christ can.
The same principle in the priesthood is shown in the Leviticus priesthood which was Holy and Good but weak because it was not perfect and could not save a person by the blood of bulls and goats and the service of men, but the power of an endless life could save a man's soul and more. Read Hebrews 7:12:16. Verse 16 says: Who(Christ) is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
The law of a carnal commandment was the law that was holy and good.
Understand the difference between Moses law and the new covenant of the cross and the power of Christ. Understand how the commandments operate under the new covenant. They are two separate covenants that contain many of the same things and some things are carried over and some of those things are different in context etc. If you mix the Old with the new you can run the risk of bringing the spirit of the law upon you and live defeated when you could live more free under the new. Romans 7 illustrates this. You are wrong again.

7. Obedience is through faith not knowledge of the commandments.
God has given us better promises in the new covenant to perform the commandments over the old covenant and I have already explained this enough for you to understand. So you do not understand the fullness of the mechanic of both covenants.
The glory of the old covenant was great but greater glory is found in the new covenant. 2Corinthians 3:6-11. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obedience through faith makes us obedient to the commandments, not because of them. I stand by what I said about -Deut 5. It was not because they came over the red sea, it was they came out with God and his day He chose from the beginning was and is the seventh day. They took it because it was already His. Very simple, as were ALL the verse I posted. I even give "not hard to understand" scripture instead of mis-understood ones that cannot be twisted, and you are welcome to comment on any you like. While you are in Romans, read Romans 1 again. 3 & 6 wouldn't hurt either. To make ANY of your misinterpreted scripture work, you must TOTALLY ignore the ones I posted. What I DO understand about Jewish culture is the fact that they STILL think that they are saved by being Jewish and are bound by things that we are not just like you think they are and it's not factual. There is no difference between Jew or Greek. The remnant , which WONT be the multitude, is just that- the remnant. The new covenant- that you go on about STILL says He (God) will write His laws in our minds and put them in our hearts. That is- of those that obey Him. Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
True - the Bible Sabbath of Genesis 2:1-3 is not a "Shadow of things to come" it is a memorial of the Gen 2:1-3 act of God according to God Himself in Exodus 20:11

bobryan,

1. Genesis sabbath was not a shadow.
2. Exodus was not a shadow either

True.

And one did not replace the other.

In the church it is a shadow that will be fulfilled in the earthly calling of the Jewish nation as the head of the nations

That is you quoting you.

I prefer the actual Bible on the subject of the weekly Sabbath.

For that we have that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before me to worship" Is 66:23

We have New Testament commandments not Old Testament regulation as in your context.

NT writers say to obey the OT commandments.

See
Ephesians 6:2
Mark 7:6-13
Romans 13,
James 2
1 Cor 7:19
1 John 5:2-3
Revelation 14:12.

The list gets pretty long

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
True.

And one did not replace the other.

That is you quoting you.

I prefer the actual Bible on the subject of the weekly Sabbath.

For that we have that for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before me to worship" Is 66:23

NT writers say to obey the OT commandments.

See
Ephesians 6:2
Romans 13,
James 2
1 Cor 7:19
1 John 5:2-3
Revelation 14:12.

The list gets pretty long

bobryan,

1. Once again you misunderstand the scripture is synonymous with Israel for saturday sabbath day only.
I am not even saying that the creation sabbath wasn't on Saturday either.
The sabbath was under the Mosaic law in a specific context and was not a shadow in the age of the Mosaic law. It was a commandment in the law.
Today, the sabbath is only a commandment to keep holy and we are not to forsake the assembly ourselves but nothing about Saturday only among other things in the context of the law.
Paul shows this in Colossians 2 by not judging in respect of the holy days and the sabbath and the new moon. Paul called these were shadow of things to come which means it was not reality for the church. It will be a reality in the millennial kingdom because it was synomonous with Israel's earthly calling as the head of the nation because the law will go forth out of Zion.
Paul said hear were a shadow of things to come which is future. It is not a shadow of things today in the church.
He made a separation of the shadow of the sabbath etc. and the body of Christ.
Things that were shadows in the law like in Hebrews 9:9 which used the word "figure" and were fulfilled at the cross in the reality of Jesus and his finished work and was replaced by the reality. It was the sacrifice of Jesus and his blood the reality which replaced the offering of blood and bulls.
The sabbath was a commandment under the law and even if it was a shadow it still would not be the same in the new covenant, only the spiritual principle of that law which is keep it Holy.

2. Isaiah 66:23 is in the millennial kingdom not the church age.

3. Ephesians 6:1-2 was the first commandment with promise in the law but in the Old covenant those children that dishonored their parents could be stoned to death. That is not a part of the new covenant.
Before the law children were to obey their parents but had no written law but whatever they did according to their conscience that was contained in the written law later was a law unto themselves.

4. Mark 7:6-13. That was under the Mosaic law which was the law of God for that time until the cross.

5. Romans 13:8-10;
This was under the law of love which has fulfilled the law. That is why we don't commit adultery etc. Those were wrong to committ before the law through their conscience.
Under Moses law they had to do these things as a commandment with strict judgements which are not in the new covenant. There is no mandatory law for stoning adulterers but we are to help restore them.
Because of the weaknesses of the Mosaic law they lived more in defeat because of self effort because of the law of sin and death took advantage of those commandments and made those lawkeepers live in more than overcoming by the power of God.
We have better promises and greater power to overcome by the power of God instead of having a conscience of sin and sin more because of poor think of the law mentality which most christians haven't got a clue about.

6. James is not concept of law mentality.
We are doers of the word because of we are in Christ and the mirror will show if we truly believe that or not. We can believe with head knowledge and lack in the heart.
James 2 talks about hypocrisy under Moses law and the commandments etc. and those who are under the law of liberty which is the new covenant will be judged too for being a hypocrite.
We are justified by faith to receive grace in order to be saved; we are justified by faith with true works as fruit we have believed in faith.

7. 1 Corinthians 7:19;
Paul is not talking about keeping every jot and tittle of Moses law and certainly not in the full context of how the workings of the law operated.
We are to obey the new covenant commands and it's context and that is what is important.

8. 1 John 5:2-3; John is talking about keeping the new covenant laws and not the Old and its context.

9. Revelation 14:12; In the future tribulation is talking about the new covenant commandments not the old covenant commandments and it's context.
The point is that there are moral laws in every age in different context.
Just because Paul mentions Old Testament commandments doesn't mean he was teaching the ethic of Moses law.
One has to understand the correct age, correct covenants for the particular ages and their proper context and what the similarities and differences are in each age and their context.
One has to realize the old and new covenants are two separate covenants and the new replaced the old Hebrews 8:7.
One has to have an open mind for the truth and not because of denominational doctrine they think is the only truth.
My father was a preacher in a denominational church and still stuck to the same rule of thumb. To be like the Berean's to see if they say the truth.
It doesn't appear you are trying to do that but that is up to you. Nobody can make you believe what you don't want to believe.
But I am pretty sure you don't really understand what I am saying in full because you have different hermeneutics because you think when Paul is mentioning the old covenant laws he is mixing in law and grace.
You need to really learn why Peter called the law of Moses a yoke of bondage.
You try to be a Jew back then and do the whole law because you can't just do part of the law. Instead you want to take the parts you understand to be new covenant and the mix the other parts of the Old covenant which causes the struggle. That is how we get wrong doctrines of sin conscience that cause self effort instead of doctrines of overcoming sin by the power of the finished work of Christ.
The power is in the Savior who died and rose again and who intercedes in the throne room.
The righteousness of the law was about doing before the cross and after the cross it is based on what he did. Learn the difference. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bobryan,

1. Once again you misunderstand the scripture is synonymous with Israel for saturday sabbath day only.

I understand that there are man made traditions that love to make that up. But nothing in the Bible for it.

Rather in the actual Bible "the Sabbath was made for MANKIND" Mark 2:27
AND for all eternity in the NEW heavens and NEW earth of Rev 21 -- long after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

And then here we have Christ condemning any effort to edit/tweek one of the TEN Commandments.

Today, the sabbath is only a commandment to keep holy and we are not to forsake the assembly ourselves but nothing about Saturday

So then you claim to have carefully edited it so it no longer says "the SEVENTH day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God"??

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im sorry for entering this post...was following someone to see what they believed..

But since Im here...hope the Seventh Day Adventist dont mind...me asking a question...

What does the 7th day under the Moral law refer to? Genesis and creation?...or something else...can you plz explain.
And How is that different from entering his rest...according to the scripture in Hebrews...if it is at all?

For it says today if you hear his voice harden not your heart....It would seem as a fullfillment in time...in a "day" or age of time.

So to spiritually keep his sabbath is to remain in him..[in his rest]....it is where all the other commands are kept...right?

And if He is Lord over the sabbath...could it be He is that day of rest....and everything is created through him?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
52 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. vThen he took it down, wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a tomb that was hewn out of the rock, where no one had ever lain before. wthe Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.

xwho had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and ythey observed the tomb and how His body was laid.

zprepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Something here shows me...that Jesus...will arise on the third day....and what day was drawing near? According to scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I understand that there are man made traditions that love to make that up. But nothing in the Bible for it.

Rather in the actual Bible "the Sabbath was made for MANKIND" Mark 2:27
AND for all eternity in the NEW heavens and NEW earth of Rev 21 -- long after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

And then here we have Christ condemning any effort to edit/tweek one of the TEN Commandments.

So then you claim to have carefully edited it so it no longer says "the SEVENTH day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God"??

bobryan,

1. Mark 2:23:28; Plucking the ears of corn was permissible under the law Deuteronomy 23:35
The Pharisees were wanting to catch them breaking the law.
Jesus used the example of David and men and the shewbread which only the priests could eat. The exception was made because David and his men met requirements and the bread was sanctified.
The point was God meeting their need more than being legalistic. Man loves to be legalistic with do's and don'ts by excoriating people. That is why man is not made for the sabbath. God is interested in meeting their needs.
God meeting our needs Is why Jesus is the Lord of the sabbath and not man.
Legalistically beating people over the head about only Saturday only is not a requirement in the church age and was not in that context because keeping the sabbath on another day was not in question.
You can't generalize every single passage when you don't understand the full context correctly and or the specific contexts correctly.

2. I have already explained the time factor of the millennial kingdom which is future, which is synomonous with Israel and because of being in a complete theocracy with God as the only rule of government which was in Israel's past and will be in the future kingdom.
Learn the proper perspective in context of the word of God.
If you have this conviction keep it for yourself but you shouldn't laud it over everybody's head and make it something it is not like the Pharisees. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Im sorry for entering this post...was following someone to see what they believed..

But since Im here...hope the Seventh Day Adventist dont mind...me asking a question...

What does the 7th day under the Moral law refer to? Genesis and creation?...or something else...can you plz explain.
And How is that different from entering his rest...according to the scripture in Hebrews...if it is at all?

For it says today if you hear his voice harden not your heart....It would seem as a fullfillment in time...in a "day" or age of time.

So to spiritually keep his sabbath is to remain in him..[in his rest]....it is where all the other commands are kept...right?

And if He is Lord over the sabbath...could it be He is that day of rest....and everything is created through him?

52 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. vThen he took it down, wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a tomb that was hewn out of the rock, where no one had ever lain before. wthe Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.

xwho had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and ythey observed the tomb and how His body was laid.

zprepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Something here shows me...that Jesus...will arise on the third day....and what day was drawing near? According to scripture?

The Sabbath drew near. Jesus rested in tomb on the Sabbath and his followers rested on the Sabbath.

They brought the spices which they had prepared upon the first day of week (Sunday morning). Luke 24:1.

So Jesus observed the Sabbath, his followers observed the Sabbath. Paul preached to the gentiles on the Sabbath.

The Sabbath commandment is a part the Ten Commandments which is stored in the Ark of Covenant. These are the moral law because they instruct how God's people ought to act: love God and love thy neighbors.

The moral law can never be done away. They are the standard of conduct.

Look at the language of the 4th commandment. The Sabbath strictly commemorates the creation. There is no mention of any shadows or types of rest in Christ.

God created man and sanctified the Sabbath day even before the sin entered the world. So resting in Christ does not preclude us from keeping the sabbath.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Welcome!

God places the Sabbath commandment in the moral law because God's Word is law - because the Sabbath is "for mankind" Mark 2:27, Isaiah 66:23, because Love for God expresses itself in worship to God - within the context of Obedience - and because the context of "God as Creator" is the basis for the Gospel in John 1:1-4 - the basis for worship in Rev 14:7, the basis for God's claims on all that we do.

Hebrews 4:9 says that there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God -- remains from when? From the time of David in Psalms 95. It was not deleted in Psalms 95 -- it is not deleted today.

in fact in the NT the Sabbath is still said to be "made for mankind" Mark 2:27 and in the NEW Earth for all eternity after the cross "ALL mankind" comes before God to worship "from Sabbath to Sabbath" Isaiah 66:23

All obedience even "do not take God's name in vain" can be kept only by the saints, the born-again, those under the Jeremiah 31:31-33 NEW Covenant where the LAW of God is written on the heart.

"LOVE Me AND keep My commandments" Ex 20:6
"If you LOVE Me - KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15

He is Lord of the Sabbath - it is the LORD's day. And it is HE who says "the SEVENTH day is the SABBATH of the LORD (YHWH) Thy God" Ex 20

Love to God is not expressed in editing His Word -- it is expressed in obedience to His Commandments according to 1 John 5:2-3

Christ explicitly forbids editing or downsizing the Commandments of God in Mark 7:6-13

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul shows this in Colossians 2 by not judging in respect of the holy days and the sabbath and the new moon. Paul called these were shadow of things to come which means it was not reality for the church. It will be a reality in the millennial kingdom because it was synomonous with Israel's earthly calling as the head of the nation because the law will go forth out of Zion.
Paul said hear were a shadow of things to come which is future. It is not a shadow of things today in the church.
He made a separation of the shadow of the sabbath etc. and the body of Christ.

Answered on another thread - suffice it to say that nothing in Col 2 says "Sabbath used to be a commandment of God - is now suspended - but will resume later in the millennium" - rather that entire idea is a commandment and tradition of man. As will be shown on another thread.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bobryan,

1. Mark 2:23:28; Plucking the ears of corn was permissible under the law Deuteronomy 23:35
The Pharisees were wanting to catch them breaking the law.
Jesus used the example of David and men and the shewbread which only the priests could eat. The exception was made because David and his men met requirements and the bread was sanctified.
The point was God meeting their need more than being legalistic. Man loves to be legalistic with do's and don'ts by excoriating people. That is why man is not made for the sabbath. God is interested in meeting their needs.
God meeting our needs Is why Jesus is the Lord of the sabbath and not man.

True - God calls for Adam and Eve to obey His word instead of choosing rebellion against it - for their own good!
Isaiah 66:23 ALL mankind comes before God to worship "from Sabbath to Sabbath" for their own good!

obedience to God is not evil, is not for our harm... it does us good.

Rev 14:7 - worship to God is based on his role as Creator.
John 1:1-4 - the Gospel is based on God's role as Creator.
Genesis 1:1 - the BIBLE is based on God's role as Creator.

None of that is "for our harm"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Answered on another thread - suffice it to say that nothing in Col 2 says "Sabbath used to be a commandment of God - is now suspended - but will resume later in the millennium" - rather that entire idea is a commandment and tradition of man. As will be shown on another thread.

bobryan,

1. You can disagree all you want but you cannot answer to why Paul said that sabbath was a shadow of things to come which is future and separates the body of Christ age from that. You have not rebutted of bing synomonous with Israel and their covenants and their position in the kingdom. You have no adequate answer for these things and that is why you have to back to your same arguments which is disagreement and we only divide the word. You need to leRn correct context and proper debate and rebuttal. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bobryan,

1. You can disagree all you want but you cannot answer to why Paul said that sabbath was a shadow of things to come w

1. Paul was speaking of the annual Sabbaths - they were instituted from the start such that they are only celebrated via "sacrifice and offering" -- making them shadows of the coming of Christ.

2. If I did not include this in the thread on Col 2 - I will do so now.
Today at 11:06 AM #1

3. Paul said nothing at all to identify the weekly Sabbath and even the annual Sabbaths are not being condemned in Col 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bobryan,

1. You can disagree all you want but you cannot answer to why Paul said that sabbath was a shadow of things to come which is future and separates the body of Christ age from that. You have not rebutted of bing synomonous with Israel and their covenants and their position in the kingdom. You have no adequate answer for these things and that is why you have to back to your same arguments which is disagreement and we only divide the word. You need to leRn correct context and proper debate and rebuttal. Jerry kelso
If I may join into this discussion...

When you look at Col 2:16...the key phrase is 'in respect to'.

Look in Old Testament for every instance of 'holy days (set feasts), new moons and sabbaths, you'll find that they appeared 8 times. In every instance, it mentions sacrices and meal, drink offerings...

Now look at Col 2:16 again hopefully you'll see Paul was talking about the sacrices and offerings in connection or in respect to the set feasts, new moons and sabbaths.

They were shadows of Jesus being the real sacrifice. Not the sabbath commandment because it does not mention meal and drink (offerings).

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NO, observing the sabbath is not required for salvation. The bible is extremely clear about this.

Romans 14 (WEB)

14 Now accept one who is weak in faith, but not for disputes over opinions. 2 One man has faith to eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Don’t let him who eats despise him who doesn’t eat. Don’t let him who doesn’t eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you who judge another’s servant? To his own lord he stands or falls. Yes, he will be made to stand, for God has power to make him stand.

5 One man esteems one day as more important. Another esteems every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks. He who doesn’t eat, to the Lord he doesn’t eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and none dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord. Or if we die, we die to the Lord. If therefore we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written,

“‘As I live,’ says the Lord, ‘to me every knee will bow.
Every tongue will confess to God.’”

12 So then each one of us will give account of himself to God.

Upvote 0

Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sep 7, 2016
Chattanooga
✟20,453.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Daniel 7:7-8
I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things.
9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.

This is ROME and according to this WORD, it holds on until the Ancient of Days intercedes. Either that or this book is false.

Daniel 7:25-26
And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.
26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.
Daniel 8:11-

This is ROME also, in which papal authority places itself above the authority of God.

Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.

By ROME'S hand was the daily sacrifice taken away AND the sanctuary torn down . AD 70

Daniel 8:19-24-
And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.
20 The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.
21 And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.
22 Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.
23 And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up.
24 And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

Is there any other Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome that YOU know of that we do not?

Daniel 2:28-
But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these;

Daniel 2:31-35-
Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible.
32 This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass,
33 His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay.
34 Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
35 Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

The nickel tour- the same 4 kingdoms.

Daniel 2:39-41-
And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.
40 And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.
41 And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.

Iron kingdom, 2 legs- Eastern and Western Roman Empire. 5th grade history. Iron mixed with MIRY (contaminated) clay- Pagan/Christian Rome under Constantine. CONSTANTINE CHANGED THE SABBATH TO SUNDAY BECAUSE THEY WERE PAGAN. THEY STILL ARE!
Stone "cut out without hands that fills the WHOLE EARTH and never destroyed -

Ezekial 8:13-16-
He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD'S house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
15 Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.
16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

Pagan worship IS SUN WORSHIP. This is IN GODS HOUSE!

Ezekial 9:1-6-
He cried also in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, Cause them that have charge over the city to draw near, even every man with his destroying weapon in his hand.
2 And, behold, six men came from the way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the north, and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand; and one man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side: and they went in, and stood beside the brasen altar.
3 And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;
4 And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
5 And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
6 Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.

The PRICE of the abominations. DEATH. Beginning in God's own place because THEY are responsible for teaching TRUTH, not err.

If you THINK it's not symbolic OR about now-

Ecclesiastes 3:14-16-
I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

16 And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.

The BEASTS of Daniel-

Daniel 7:1-23-
In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel had a dream and visions of his head upon his bed: then he wrote the dream, and told the sum of the matters.
2 Daniel spake and said, I saw in my vision by night, and, behold, the four winds of the heaven strove upon the great sea.
3 And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another.
4 The first was like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.
5 And behold another beast, a second, like to a bear, and it raised up itself on one side, and it had three ribs in the mouth of it between the teeth of it: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh.
6 After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard, which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl; the beast had also four heads; and dominion was given to it.
7 After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns.
8 I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things.
9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
11 I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
12 As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.
13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him
: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
15 I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
16 I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.
18 But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.
19 Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet;
20 And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows.
21 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;
22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
23 Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces.

SAME GROUP OF FOUR- which the fourth STILL holds on until the Ancient of Days intervenes with judgement of FIRE.

Daniel 7:24-25-
And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.
25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

This ten kings are the ten early kingdoms that became Europe. The one that rose up out of it that spoke great words AGAINST God and wore out HIS saints AND changed times and laws is none other than the CHURCH OF ROME. At the same time in history, she ruled all Europe during the dark ages AND changed the Sabbath AND our calendar we use today! The time/times and dividing of (1/2 a time) is the same as the 42 mos AND the 1260 days. Prophetic year for a day prophecy.( -Ez 4:6& Numbers 14:34) The 1260 years that ROME first ruled the world- 538ad-1798ad when ,of all people, Napoleon got SICK of the pope telling him what to do while he was busy trying to conquer the ENTIRE world. He sent his top general- Better to Rome to remove the pope and take all her wealth, which he did, thus ending Rome's rule. THIS was the deadly wound.

Daniel gives several descriptions of these powers and events. Revelations, which we will also show, speaks of the SAME 4 BEASTS, but in an inverted order because of John's vantage point in time vs Daniels. Daniel, unsealed in the 1800s (another whole prophetic story about the 70 weeks and 2300 days, tells this to the EXACT YEAR!) is needed to understand Revelations thoroughly. This isn't chess, it's just checkers. Time frames, an un-preconcieved notion from years of indoctrination and history make ALL God's word crystal clear. MAN pollutes ones notions of truth, just like Man's Sabbath.

Revelation 6:8-
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Beasts are all through the Bible and MOST of the time, it's speaking about kingdoms!

Revelation 13:1-9-
And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

This sea is people, nations, kindred and tongues. Same ten horns. Europe. This same beast- papal Rome. The 42 mos.- the same 1260 years. His deadly wound (seemingly deadly) gets healed. He still speaks blasphemies. WHAT ARE THOSE? We assume we know. Let's see what God's word says-
John 10:33-
The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Mark 2:7-
Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

BOTH of these offences were made against Jesus.
WHO ELSE claims authority in these matters? papacy
They CLAIM that the pope is God on earth. His title, which is even inscribed on his fish mitre (his hat which is designed after the priests of the pagan god Dagon- the fish god) the title- vicarious felii dei- which is translated vicar of God, or substitute Son of God. The papacy claims the pope as infallible, allows priests to forgive sins (which they JUST allowed absolution on matters of abortion), claims their doctrine and the decision of the church as trumping the word of God. They worship dead saints AND Mary , even putting her above Jesus. They claim she was perfect and that's where Jesus got His perfect nature from. SERIOUSLY?

Who gave them their authority according to scripture? The DRAGON.
Is there any doubt of the dragon's identity?

Revelation 12:9-
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 12-
And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Ok, let's look at this chapter because it describes the people of God all the way through the birth of Christ to the end. It VERY important!

Who is the woman?

Jeremiah 7:2-
I have likened the daughter of Zion to a comely and delicate woman.

Ok, WHO tried to kill Jesus? Who finally did? Who destroyed the temple? Rome
By what authority? Dragon's.

During the Roman churches oppression, when they utterly tried to destroy God's people AND the written word of God, how did it AND the true followers survive? Two main places- The Waldenses, who hid in the Swiss Alps for over a thousand years AND the Heugonots, a French group of true followers. The one thousand, two hundred three score days was the SAME 1260 years. They loved NOT their lives and suffered great persecution. The serpent, DRAGON, cast out a great flood. This flood was false doctrine, a flood of lies meant to devour the TRUTH. The earth, which will be shown later, is the opposite of sea, which if you remember was a populated area. The earth is the opposite, a desolate area where TRUTH overcame the lies and LIGHT was cast into the darkness. In other words, it's a group of people in the next phase of keeping truth alive. How did they do this? By exposing the beast for what she is. HOW again?
What did the woman have to protect her?
Rev 12:17- again
And the DRAGON was worth with the woman and went to make war with the REMNANT of her seed, which KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD and the TESTIMONY of Jesus Christ.

WHAT is a remnant? The last, EXACTLY like the FIRST!
In other words, they were just like the EARLY church just after Christ's ascension. THEY kept the SABBATH and kept God's commandments. This was BEFORE Rome changed God's laws and Sabbath to her own. What is the testimony of Jesus? MOST think they know, but do they? Revelation 19:10-
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the TESTIMONY of Jesus is the SPIRIT of PROPHECY.

What did satan want? WORSHIP. See that thou do it NOT, WORSHIP GOD! Are you beginning to get it? All the MAN seeks is worship in place of God! All the WORLD will wonder after the beast who are not written in the book of life. What separates them from those who THINK they are saved? It's all here and black n white. Ever since Babylon, each world power that replaced the first, kept some of the paganism, which originated in Babylon. When you look at the lessons being put up about the 3 angels messages, you understand about where the MARK comes from. Rome claims that the man made Sabbath day is the MARK of her ecclesiastical authority! It's in THEIR doctrine. I'm not making up fables. THEY claim that ALL who keep her day, the venerable day of the sun , PAYS HOMAGE to her. This is THEIR doctrine. God's doctrine says REMEMBER THE SABBATH and keep it HOLY. He never changed it. We did! It ALL will come down to either having the SEAL of God ( from being totally grounded in truth) OR having the MARK of the BEAST. Do you remember who it is? There IS NO MIDDLE GROUND. The middle ground is the church of Laodicea. LUKEWARM. God specifically stated that those who don't obey Him would be made to believe a lie. Somehow, through His supernatural powers, those that DONT OBEY HIM will succumb to the wiles of Rome and the devil. You can paint it up any way you like, but the Great Harlott , described in Revelation 17 is just that - Rome. After careful study, you can only come to one conclusion. The NEXT information about her is that she has daughters! What could make anyone a daughter? It's churches that came OUT of her that STILL follow some of her pagan beliefs, like the Sabbath. Another LIE is about the immortality of the soul. These lies were devised to make people afraid NOT to bow to her, when Bibles were forbidden to regular folks. It was punishable by death to possess one piece of scripture back then. Rome slaughtered and burned alive over 100 million people during her reign. Those who refused to bow. The world once again is rejoining with her as her deadly wound is healed. That's just a fact. The FIRST church that broke away from rome was the Lutheran Church, began by Martin Luther, a priest of the papacy that sought truth and learned of her error. He plead with Rome to rethink her position, yet all she cared about was money and power. They burned him at the stake as well. They martyred ALL who spoke out. These are the saints spoken of in Revelation and Daniel . Scripture is CRYSTAL clear that this will happen again. We THINK it can't, but all we know is the life we've lived. It can happen with the right governing bodies in place and IT WILL happen because God said it would. The Lutherans just rejoined the church after a 500 year "Protest" where protestant comes from. Believe it or not, the Lutherans signed papers of guilt and shame for "disrupting" 500 years of "Christian Unity" . Do any of you know what the "ecumenical movement" is about? UNITY with ALL churches with Rome at the head. If you THINK for one minute that it's not happening before your eyes, you better think again. Peace be with you. May God open your eyes. If you think it's just a stupid argumant about a little cult and the Sabbath , you are mistaken. It's about TRUTH, and souls and the WORD of God. Even the SDA church has leaders in the ecumenical movement. Truth is SHOT there too. The REMNANT is a small group grounded in truth who will most likely suffer great persecution. We are instructed to COME OUT OF HER, MY PEOPLE , lest ye receive of her plagues. You know the verse and it's no joke. You FIRST have to understand what you are coming out of and that's NOT going to be easy, especially if God did supernaturally put blinders on people.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.