United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This was moved from Christian Advice to General Theology and reopened so the discussion can continue. Please keep it civil.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Okay so, I was baptized as an infant by the Catholic church in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I was wondering if that baptism was valid or if I should get baptized full immersion by a Protestant pastor.

It's been made aware to me that this might be considered heretical because I was already baptized as an infant. I don't want to be a heretic I just wanted to make a public confession of faith because as an infant I obviously couldn't make a public confession of faith and, I didn't even come to Christ until over 20 years later. So, I want to be baptized in the "correct" way.

Should I get rebaptized? Or is my infant baptism enough? I know different denominations will tell me different things But, I feel like Christ didn't accept me when I was baptized as an infant and he would accept a "proper" baptism more. What do you think?
I haven't read any of this thread. I just saw it quick and decided to add my opinion.

IMO, like you said, as an infant, you could make no decisions. Also, you have to ask.... what is the purpose of infant baptism? I believe it does more for the parents peace of mind than anything.
If all infants that are baptized, are saved... then every single Catholic child has salvation.... I hardly believe this.

I believe that every single human being will, one day, if they live long enough, reach an age at which they obtain the intellectual ability to know that they have done wrong, sin if you will, and are, then, responsible for their sin. Some, mentally challenged may never reach this age.
At this point, I believe that it is, then, the responsibility of that person to choose salvation and baptism. If they choose not to accept Christs gift of salvation, their infant baptism is not going to mean a hill of beans.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Catholics would say that a Catholic infant baptism won't save a person who does not go on to develop a faith of their own, or who turns against it.

Even though we (Orthodox) have always baptized infants since the time of the Apostles, we also believe salvation is a lifelong process. If one does not persevere in the faith, one cannot be saved.

But there is still only "one baptism for the remission of sins" as written into the Creed, and as has been believed since the time of the Apostles. (One faith, one Lord, one baptism)

Have you ever wondered at the points in Scripture that talk of households being baptized? I used to when I was an evangelical. It never mentions interviewing everyone to see if they believe. All were brought into the faith. But one has to remain and truly embrace it to be saved. However, even if one leaves and comes back, they are not rebaptized.

Reactions: So Cliche
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always considered what children have as a Christening and a baptism to be for believers. Also, for me, a baptism for believers is full water immersion to symbolise the death of the old self when you are born again and raised in your new life in Jesus. I was Christened as a baby and baptised as an adult after I was saved.I have also been taught that the word baptised is derived from the Greek for dying (as in dying clothes a different colour) which required full immersion. Mark 16:16 says believe and be baptised, not be baptised as a baby when you have no awareness of what is going on and hopefully become a believer later on in life. Even Jesus was baptised as an adult. If child baptism was acceptable surely He would have been baptised as a baby to commit Him to the Father?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Catholics would say that a Catholic infant baptism won't save a person who does not go on to develop a faith of their own, or who turns against it.

Even though we (Orthodox) have always baptized infants since the time of the Apostles, we also believe salvation is a lifelong process. If one does not persevere in the faith, one cannot be saved.

But there is still only "one baptism for the remission of sins" as written into the Creed, and as has been believed since the time of the Apostles. (One faith, one Lord, one baptism)

Have you ever wondered at the points in Scripture that talk of households being baptized? I used to when I was an evangelical. It never mentions interviewing everyone to see if they believe. All were brought into the faith. But one has to remain and truly embrace it to be saved. However, even if one leaves and comes back, they are not rebaptized.

Right, baptism does nothing without faith to back it up. I wasn't saved until I came to Christ for salvation. I think at this point like I said, it would be pointless and maybe a little heretical for me to get baptized again. Since, that would be calling my first baptism insufficient. I mean, there are other ways besides baptism that I can biblically declare my faith.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Even Jesus was baptised as an adult. If child baptism was acceptable surely He would have been baptised as a baby to commit Him to the Father?

Jewish households didn't baptize their children as baptism is a Christian practice, and Jesus was raised as a Jew and followed all of the Jewish laws and customs. Jesus's baptism was the official start of his ministry. However, it doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't committed to the Father before then.

Reactions: So Cliche
Upvote 0

So Cliche

Oct 6, 2017
Los Angeles
✟17,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I've decided to keep my infant baptism. Is there any other Protestant churches I could join that would accept an infant baptism? Are Baptists the only ones that don't recognize infant baptisms?

Hi,

In my experience, the Church of Christ doesn't recognize infant baptisms either. I was baptized as an infant. A few years ago, I became interested in exploring the particular nuances of different denominations. I ended up attending a Church of Christ for a while. I wouldn't exactly describe them as aggressive about not recognizing infant baptisms, but they are very heavy into the baptism aspect of the religion. They don't require you to be baptized by them to join or attend their church, but if you were baptized as an infant, they'll strongly suggest that you get baptized again. I was attending a small group Bible study with some of their members, which I liked, and what caused me to step back from their group was when a discussion of baptism was taking place, and I think a question about what's more important - faith or baptism - was asked. I believe one member, a church elder really, essentially said that it was baptism - and I think I was the only one who really didn't agree. What made me uncomfortable was that they didn't even really make the case like the two were equally important, it was presented as if the baptism was more important than the faith. That was what I got out of them. If they were misrepresenting what COC is general believes, I guess that's on them to do a better job of all being on the same page in terms of specific stances.

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been baptized three times, yet I consider only one meaningful and scriptural.

First my parents had me baptized in the Catholic church as an infant. Later as a young adult I converted to Mormonism and was baptized into the Mormon church. Finally, I was saved and came to know the true Jesus as my Savior and was baptized. I do not believe baptism is necessary for salvation, yet the scriptures do instruct believers to be baptized as a testimony of one's faith in Christ. I wanted to be baptized once I was truly saved by Jesus and I think the picture in immersion of dying to self, as one goes under the water and rising to new life in Christ, as one comes out from the water, is very appropriate and meaningful, as well as being a testimony to others of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Okay so, I was baptized as an infant by the Catholic church in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I was wondering if that baptism was valid or if I should get baptized full immersion by a Protestant pastor.

It's been made aware to me that this might be considered heretical because I was already baptized as an infant. I don't want to be a heretic I just wanted to make a public confession of faith because as an infant I obviously couldn't make a public confession of faith and, I didn't even come to Christ until over 20 years later. So, I want to be baptized in the "correct" way.

Should I get rebaptized? Or is my infant baptism enough? I know different denominations will tell me different things But, I feel like Christ didn't accept me when I was baptized as an infant and he would accept a "proper" baptism more. What do you think?

Mm,

What do Scriptures state about when & how to be baptised?
  • Baptism is part of discipleship (Matt 28:18-20 ). To be a disciple, a person needs to be a Christian believer. Infants can't fit into that category because they are not disciples.
  • Repent & be baptised for forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38). That can't happen for infants.
  • The eunuch, a believer, went down into the water & was baptised (Acts 8:36-39). It was believers' baptism.
  • There is a use of household believing and being baptised, along with the Philippian jalier (Acts 16:31-33). This is believers' bsptism.
Therefore, I conclude that Scripture teaches believer's baptism & not infant baptism. I am aware of the arguments for infant baptism, based on Covenant Theology, but I don't find them convincing, biblically.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was wondering if that baptism was valid or if I should get baptized full immersion by a Protestant pastor........

Baptism isn't required for salvation. The thief on the cross wasn't baptized. Your infant baptism is certainly enough.

With that said, you may need to get re-baptized if you decide to join a church that requires their particular form of baptism for membership, but you certainly don't need to seek it out just for the sake of baptism.
Spot on.......
Thanks, I agree. I think I just won't accept a church that would force me to get re-baptized. I mean, all baptism should be valid yes? It's all about proclamation of faith.
Most likely, you will never be asked about it. Just attend it if you feel comfortable with it.
Try the GT Sacramental-Ordinance board......
Sacramental/Ordinance Theology

Hebrews 6:
1 Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works,a and of faith in God, 2 instruction about baptisms,b the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do, if God permits.

images

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

In my experience, the Church of Christ doesn't recognize infant baptisms either. I was baptized as an infant. A few years ago, I became interested in exploring the particular nuances of different denominations. I ended up attending a Church of Christ for a while. I wouldn't exactly describe them as aggressive about not recognizing infant baptisms, but they are very heavy into the baptism aspect of the religion. They don't require you to be baptized by them to join or attend their church, but if you were baptized as an infant, they'll strongly suggest that you get baptized again. I was attending a small group Bible study with some of their members, which I liked, and what caused me to step back from their group was when a discussion of baptism was taking place, and I think a question about what's more important - faith or baptism - was asked. I believe one member, a church elder really, essentially said that it was baptism - and I think I was the only one who really didn't agree. What made me uncomfortable was that they didn't even really make the case like the two were equally important, it was presented as if the baptism was more important than the faith. That was what I got out of them. If they were misrepresenting what COC is general believes, I guess that's on them to do a better job of all being on the same page in terms of specific stances.

Thank you for sharing your story. When I get a car I will go church looking. I'm sure there will be churches that will accept my infant baptism.

Spot on.......
Most likely, you will never be asked about it. Just attend it if you feel comfortable with it.
Try the GT Sacramental-Ordinance board......
Sacramental/Ordinance Theology

Hebrews 6:
1 Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works,a and of faith in God, 2 instruction about baptisms,b the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do, if God permits.

images

I LOVE your Sig it's so funny. Hopefully I will be able to find a church. I don't want to get baptized again unless I have to.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

of course it's not but why would getting re-baptized make it "more enough", isn't this the unique role of Jesus?

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear mmbattlestar. Infant baptism is enough while we are small. When we get older and start thinking, we were told by Jesus, Matthew 22; 35-40: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself. In verse 40: we are told, on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
The Bible tells us: Give up all selfish and unloving thoughts and words, let love lead you in all we do and say. We have to love God with all our beings, and we have to love our neighbour, friends and not friends, we have to love them as we love ourselves, treat them as we would love to be treated. Love is very catching, and in Matthew 7; 7-10: we are told: Ask and you shall receive, we ask God for Love and Compassion, for Joy and forgiveness, then we thank God and share all with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet. God sees our loving and caring, and God will Bless us greatly. Love and obey God is catching, to love and obey will be wonderful, our lives will change and we will be blessed by our Heavenly Father. Why not give it all a try, mmbattlestar. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the posts guys. After thinking about it I don't think I will get re-baptized. As I think Christ has accepted my infant baptism.
I support you here, because it is faith, not works, that pleases God. (See this in Romans 4).

In your case, infant baptism has produced a faith that gives you authority to condemn legalist accusers, such as St Paul in Galatians 5:2.

Although it has produced value for you, infant baptism is unorthodox, having been introduced by the church and not originating with Jesus or the twelve. There is nothing leading to it in scripture. In all ways, it is rooted in a works-based philosophy. Yet, many do receive a useful faith from the testimony of it through their childhood.
It should be just as valid as any other method of baptism
Baptism is symbolic of death and resurrection though - being born again. An infant cannot perform that contrition because he has not yet walked in the darkness in order to receive conviction for sin.

Baptism originally is for someone who comes to receive conviction through the gospel and decides to lay down his life of sin and then to live a new life of repentance and faith because has comprehended the gravity of sin. St Peter describes that "baptism now saves you not by the physical washing away of dirt, but the pledge of a clear conscience". 1 Peter 3:21
and to get baptized again would be kind of pointless. Thanks for your help guys.
It is after all, only an outward act of an inward commitment. A covenant. You could consider the covenant to gain more depth of knowledge for the significance of baptism. This booklet is good for painting that picture:

www.adonai-reigns.life/the-gospel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I support you here, because it is faith, not works, that pleases God. (See this in Romans 4).

In your case, infant baptism has produced a faith that gives you authority to condemn legalist accusers, such as St Paul in Galatians 5:2.

Although it has produced value for you, infant baptism is unorthodox, having been introduced by the church and not originating with Jesus or the twelve. There is nothing leading to it in scripture. In all ways, it is rooted in a works-based philosophy. Yet, many do receive a useful faith from the testimony of it through their childhood.

Baptism is symbolic of death and resurrection though - being born again. An infant cannot perform that contrition because he has not yet walked in the darkness in order to receive conviction for sin.

Baptism originally is for someone who comes to receive conviction through the gospel and decides to lay down his life of sin and then to live a new life of repentance and faith because has comprehended the gravity of sin. St Peter describes that "baptism now saves you not by the physical washing away of dirt, but the pledge of a clear conscience". 1 Peter 3:21

It is after all, only an outward act of an inward commitment. A covenant. You could consider the covenant to gain more depth of knowledge for the significance of baptism. This booklet is good for painting that picture:

www.adonai-reigns.life/the-gospel

Yeah my nieces got baptized as children instead of infants and I consider their baptism to be better than mine for some reason. Although, as far I know they aren't followers of Christ. I never really asked them the question. I know my sister has tried to raise them with some religion in their lives But, I don't even know if my sister has faith in Jesus. I don't really ask these things.

Anyway, I'll read the booklet when I get some free time later today. God bless and thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Amagrace

Oct 7, 2017
Oseikurom
✟15,213.00
Country
Ghana
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah my nieces got baptized as children instead of infants and I consider their baptism to be better than mine for some reason. Although, as far I know they aren't followers of Christ. I never really asked them the question. I know my sister has tried to raise them with some religion in their lives But, I don't even know if my sister has faith in Jesus. I don't really ask these things.

Anyway, I'll read the booklet when I get some free time later today. God bless and thanks for the advice.
Faith without works is dead

• Agree
Upvote 0