Nov 9, 2013
✟244,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it ha probably always been part of an inner seeking. But is that always religious?

I would call that religious or at least spiritual. The comparison I objected to was "jogging," aka mundane self-care, such as meditation is often currently viewed in the West today. I doubt meditation was viewed that way in the ancient world. Certainly the claim that it was a medicinal practice is the most interesting.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt meditation was viewed that way in the ancient world.

What does it matter how it was viewed in ancient world ?

As mentioned Olympic Games were for the honor of Zeus.

Archery was for killing animals and other people while it is a competitive sport nowadays.

In the times of Black Death cats were thought to be servants of the Devil and hunted for it which increased the problem since the fleas in rats actually spread the disease.

We have gained increased understanding of various subjects and no longer have to cling to old superstitions.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course we have the East-West confusion of terms.
In the West with think of meditation and contemplation as pondering some theme with the mind. Although, at least in the Catholic tradition, contemplative prayer is seen as something more subtle than that with more stillness and inner quiet.

In the East meditation has many forms that range from a more Western understanding of pondering, concentration and deep thinking to the more still and inner quiet.

In the East the stillness is the goal. In the West the goal varies from individual to individual.

Here is a pretty decent article about how meditation extends across traditions.
Mysticism, Yoga, and Religion - A Comparison for Students of Yoga Meditation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Of course we have the East-West confusion of terms.
In the West with think of meditation and contemplation as pondering some theme with the mind. Although, at least in the Catholic tradition, contemplative prayer is seen as something more subtle than that with more stillness and inner quiet.

In the East meditation has many forms that range from a more Western understanding of pondering, concentration and deep thinking to the more still and inner quiet.

In the East the stillness is the goal. In the West the goal varies from individual to individual.

Here is a pretty decent article about how meditation extends across traditions.
Mysticism, Yoga, and Religion - A Comparison for Students of Yoga Meditation

I think something that contributes to the confusion in the west is that we as a culture tend to think that we are our minds, when nothing could be further from the truth. We are not our minds, and when we are tasked with knowing ourselves, then we need to learn to get past the mind and reach the soul, the heart, the most inner part of our being.

I believe that's one reason why many people in the west are horrified at the idea of emptiness because we think that once we stop thinking, then we lose ourselves when it's really just losing the ego rather than the substance.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think something that contributes to the confusion in the west is that we as a culture tend to think that we are our minds, when nothing could be further from the truth. We are not our minds, and when we are tasked with knowing ourselves, then we need to learn to get past the mind and reach the soul, the heart, the most inner part of our being.

I believe that's one reason why many people in the west are horrified at the idea of emptiness because we think that once we stop thinking, then we lose ourselves when it's really just losing the ego rather than the substance.
Maybe so. Such a strong identification with structures of the mind like ego. And then also, that great fear that a demon will jump in to our "emptiness" as if our thoughts can keep them out.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but how would you define "emptying" and is it really something people try to do?

Some HIndu forms of meditation seek the meditator to do so and then focus on the name of a hindu god.

Being one of a hyper active mind, I have no clue how one can do that.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You sound like a prime candidate who would benefit from meditation practice.

Well at night I listen to worship music or listen to the word of God, so that soothes me to sleep.

But having an active mind is both blessing and times a curse. I focus on the blessing aspect and endure with as much joy the times it is not so much fun.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well at night I listen to worship music or listen to the word of God, so that soothes me to sleep.

But having an active mind is both blessing and times a curse. I focus on the blessing aspect and endure with as much joy the times it is not so much fun.

Some HIndu forms of meditation seek the meditator to do so and then focus on the name of a hindu god.

Being one of a hyper active mind, I have no clue how one can do that.

What would you think of focusing on the Name of Jesus?

I find that I go in cycles. let's say I sit for 30 minutes.
First 5 o 10 minutes is using my mind to reflect on a scripture passage or even calling out to God.
Then the thoughts begin to be less of a blizzard. They still come and go but more slowly. And there is space between them.

Eventually the space becomes prolonged attentiveness, silent, still, listening. But thoughts will still come and go. Maybe some sleepy images also.

Just a few seconds of the stillness is very powerful, like sitting in front of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The interesting thing is that meditation, like many things including jogging and bathing, can be good for us without religious content. I include bathing because I think of meditation as mental hygiene and studies confirm that.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2019&q=meditation&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

And what is most wonderful is that we can add faith to it. it can bring us to deeper prayer, more intimacy with God and a closer walk with Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would you think of focusing on the Name of Jesus?

I find that I go in cycles. let's say I sit for 30 minutes.
First 5 o 10 minutes is using my mind to reflect on a scripture passage or even calling out to God.
Then the thoughts begin to be less of a blizzard. They still come and go but more slowly. And there is space between them.

Eventually the space becomes prolonged attentiveness, silent, still, listening. But thoughts will still come and go. Maybe some sleepy images also.

Just a few seconds of the stillness is very powerful, like sitting in front of God.

I find relaxation in worship music and the word of god playing softly. focusing on just HIs name to me is simply a vain repetition. Kind of like Catholics saying the Hail mary over and over.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find relaxation in worship music and the word of god playing softly. focusing on just HIs name to me is simply a vain repetition. Kind of like Catholics saying the Hail mary over and over.
"Vain" means useless. Far from it in this case.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Vain" means useless. Far from it in this case.

vain is battalogeo and means to repeat something over and over and over! We would say empty words!

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Prayer is dialogue with God. If we are just rambling the same words over and over- is that how you talk with people?

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vain is battalogeo and means to repeat something over and over and over! We would say empty words!

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Prayer is dialogue with God. If we are just rambling the same words over and over- is that how you talk with people?

The name of Jesus is empty? It brings us closer.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The name of Jesus is empty? It brings us closer.

Repeating it over and over again as some kind of mantra in our minds runs 180 degrees contrary to what Jesus taught on prayer.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repeating it over and over again as some kind of mantra in our minds runs 180 degrees contrary to what Jesus taught on prayer.
So, you you only have one prayer? The Our Father? That is the only prayer he taught.

Anyway, Do what you think best. Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

Jovajna

Oct 3, 2020
Serbia
✟8,647.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It depends on the interpretation of the word "meditation". If in your mind it has the same meaning as in eastern philosophies, movements and religions, then - no. If the word "meditation" is used as "thinking deeply about something and praying to God to understand it well", then - yes. Even before we pray to God, we need to calm our body and thoughts. Someone calls that meditation. But Christian can pray to God without that preparation, if in a need. +

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the interpretation of the word "meditation". If in your mind it has the same meaning as in eastern philosophies, movements and religions, then - no. If the word "meditation" is used as "thinking deeply about something and praying to God to understand it well", then - yes. Even before we pray to God, we need to calm our body and thoughts. Someone calls that meditation. But Christian can pray to God without that preparation, if in a need. +
For those ready to take their relationship with Christ to a deeper level, do not be dissuaded. Some times we get to a point where all the words just become words and a deeper encounter is desired.

Upvote 0