✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you into physical fitness?

I believe you can find all of those things you seek in focused exercise, at a steady and rhythmic pace!

*Except maybe the "sitting still"
Yeah buddy, I've maintained a regular routine of strength training for going on 15 years. Not much cardio except for skipping rope. I can't go without. It's definitely a relief valve :)

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah buddy, I've maintained a regular routine of strength training for going on 15 years. Not much cardio except for skipping rope. I can't go without. It's definitely a relief valve :)

Skipping rope is great!

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's Joe Dispensa He says some weird things that seem very new age so I didnt mention him up front. What interested me was the brain scans he discusses and and the mechanisms behind the benefits, which can be researched elsewhere without the new age aspects. Here is a Washington Post article about measurable differences in test subjects after 8 weeks of meditation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...duces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/

Although I am not opposed to meditation, I would be careful to differentiate meditation as prayer from meditation as health benefit. Make sure you're being honest with yourself about why you're doing it.

I remember seeing similar studies about the effects of prayer and health.
When I meditated before being a Christian I had those two 'visions' or dreams while meditating which seemed dark and demonic to me in retrospect after becoming a Christian, but now I'm wondering if those were just results of stimulating the pineal gland as per the research suggests according to Dispensa and others. I wonder if any Christians who meditate have any sort of day dreams or visions while doing practicing it.

This sort of thing is relatively common. In Christianity mystics will usually describe such experiences as visions of Hell. A vision or dream isn't as important as what you do with it, and often you shouldn't do anything with it at all.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Eastern meditation" is not a form of praying. I know there are Christians who meditate the way describe, but I wouldn't do it. I walk in nature as a natural way to calm my mind.
Well there are many kinds of prayer. Just sitting quietly listening can be prayer. Prayer is an attitude not an act.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟192,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.) Ive been watching this youtube neuroscientist explain the brain function and health benefits. Before I became a Christian I dabbled in it with discernable results in the form of two brief animated visions (or dreams if you prefer) . I wasn't delusional, They just showed up like dreams behind my closed eyelids and were very brief but vivid and memorable. One was a lotus flower opening up and the other was a tiny meditating figure floating in my stomach area. I told my Buddhist friend at the time who showed me illustrations of those exact images in one of his books. I guess they are common, at least common enough to be recorded in a book.
So this neuroscientist ive been watching on youtube explains those visions. Apparently by focused breathing, oxygen can be channeled to stimulate the pineal gland in the brain which then produces DMT or the so called 'spirit molecule' which causes visions/dreams or hallucinations or whatever you want to call them. He says its chemically similar to LSD but is produced in the body naturally So presuming this is true, is this ok for a Christian to practice meditation? Also, the Bible is full of visions and dreams of the prophets so who is to say how God gave them those visions. Can meditation be a form of prayer to the Christian?

I meditate twice a day; once in the morning for 15 to 60 minutes, once in the evening for 30 to 60 minutes. Anecdotally I can say it has had a near-miraculous impact on my life. Scientifically and medically, there is plenty of evidence that shows the tactile and tangible benefits that come from consistent meditative practice.

Spiritually, there’s nothing wrong with meditation. It’s like asking if there’s something spiritually wrong with giving yourself a pep talk before an important meeting, journaling to help deal with overwhelming emotion, going for a run to decompress, or taking a deep breath to push through a tough situation. In fact, there are many ways to meditate and many goals of meditation and all of those are all micro-meditative behaviors.

While it’s not a prayer or an act of prayer, it does certainly put you in a better, more receptive and grateful state of mind which would make prayer easier.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Spiritually, there’s nothing wrong with meditation. It’s like asking if there’s something spiritually wrong with giving yourself a pep talk before an important meeting, journaling to help deal with overwhelming emotion, going for a run to decompress, or taking a deep breath to push through a tough situation. In fact, there are many ways to meditate and many goals of meditation and all of those are all micro-meditative behaviors.

While this deserves a new thread, it is worthwhile to note that meditation is a religious practice through and through. The West has secularized and commodified it (and baptized it into our cult of health) but the fact remains. Comparing meditation to a jog or a deep breath is misleading. Meditation is only comparable to jogging according to a Western narrative of revisionist history.

(Again, I am not opposed to contemplation, or hesychasm, or meditation, but that doesn't mean that I think meditation is a secular health practice.)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While this deserves a new thread, it is worthwhile to note that meditation is a religious practice through and through. The West has secularized and commodified it (and baptized it into our cult of health) but the fact remains. Comparing meditation to a jog or a deep breath is misleading. Meditation is only comparable to jogging according to a Western narrative of revisionist history.

(Again, I am not opposed to contemplation, or hesychasm, or meditation, but that doesn't mean that I think meditation is a secular health practice.)
well something like MBSR is certainly a secular adaptation.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Everything we do could be a spiritual practice given the proper state of mind. Yes, even jogging. :)

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.)

Can meditation be a form of prayer to the Christian?

^^ What you've described above is neither meditation (Biblical) nor prayer (to our Heavenly Father)...

Meditate on Psalms 119:1-16

In Post#65 "JM" provided a link to an excellent sermon on The Art of Meditation ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
well something like MBSR is certainly a secular adaptation.

There are various attempts at secular adaptation, but you're looking at a practice that has been religious for thousands of years for which secular adaptations have only existed for a decade or two.

At this point in history meditation is a religious practice. Whether it can be successfully grafted into the secular project remains to be seen. I think it would have to viably survive in that context for at least 40-60 years before it could be shown to be more than a fad.

Everything we do could be a spiritual practice given the proper state of mind. Yes, even jogging. :)

The poster was implying that meditation is no more spiritual than jogging. That is, that neither are spiritual. You are claiming that they are both spiritual. Of course I maintain that meditation is a religious act whereas jogging is not inherently religious nor spiritual. Flogging, on the other hand... :D

• Haha
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Jenny Lynn

Sep 30, 2020
Houston
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.) Ive been watching this youtube neuroscientist explain the brain function and health benefits. Before I became a Christian I dabbled in it with discernable results in the form of two brief animated visions (or dreams if you prefer) . I wasn't delusional, They just showed up like dreams behind my closed eyelids and were very brief but vivid and memorable. One was a lotus flower opening up and the other was a tiny meditating figure floating in my stomach area. I told my Buddhist friend at the time who showed me illustrations of those exact images in one of his books. I guess they are common, at least common enough to be recorded in a book.
So this neuroscientist ive been watching on youtube explains those visions. Apparently by focused breathing, oxygen can be channeled to stimulate the pineal gland in the brain which then produces DMT or the so called 'spirit molecule' which causes visions/dreams or hallucinations or whatever you want to call them. He says its chemically similar to LSD but is produced in the body naturally So presuming this is true, is this ok for a Christian to practice meditation? Also, the Bible is full of visions and dreams of the prophets so who is to say how God gave them those visions. Can meditation be a form of prayer to the Christian?
I would highly recommend looking of Steven Bancarz and his experiences with this very topic on YouTube.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

The way you are describing meditation is the absolute wrong way for a Christian to meditate. Eastern Meditation is to empty your mind, which is to make yourself impressionable to whatever tries to come into your mind, and very often it is not positive influences, and can sometimes even be demonic influences.
Christian meditation doesn't involve clearing your mind, but filling your mind with the word of God and meditating on that, on God's plans, and God's will. We're supposed to meditate, but not in the Eastern religion way. There's a good number of psalms about meditating on the Word of God and the law.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
meditation is a religious practice through and through. The West has secularized and commodified it

So how can it be through and through a religious practice in the West if it has been secularized and commodified ?

Olympic Games were hold to honor Zeus

Ancient Olympic Games - Wikipedia

Nowadays....not so much....it is almost as they have been secularized and commodified and whatever their origins they no longer serve any religious purpose.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why not asks God for His peace?

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

My heart will not be troubled nor will I be afraid because God gives me His peace.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why not asks God for His peace?

Serious question. Why not ask God for muscles ? Think you will get them without doing the physical work ?

It takes effort and practice to train your mind just like if you were training your muscles.

Upvote 0

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There was moment where i practiced Law of attraction and used meditation with breathing and visualisation. I think its not good because i once had such energy flow that it did felt a bit like Holy Spirit, but it wasnt and it definatly felt wrong like spiritual rape.. So better be careful with that. Especially where i know new agers get in to having spiritual guides which are demons not angels.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eastern Meditation is to empty your mind, which is to make yourself impressionable to whatever tries to come into your mind, and very often it is not positive influences, and can sometimes even be demonic influences.
Did you not read my earlier post n the is poor term "emptiness"??

Whatever comes into the mind will most likely be from one's own psyche, images, memories, etc that are already there but too subtle to be aware of normally. Demonic influence can d nothing with one's bare attention. We are more likely to encounter demonic influence in this very forum, other places on the internet, TV and disturbed people in our lives.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it depends on the focus and what goals you have in mind. if your focus is to channel this inner spirit to produce these visions than you are using meditation as a drug and are interested in finding some sort of inner peace, peace that you can channel by your own thoughts and actions. This somewhat seems harmless but its danger is eliminating God as the source of the peace and exalting self or this inner peace instead.

Our mediation should be focused not on our own self (including our own hidden inner peace) but rather a denial of self and we should be seeking the peace that only God can give. Peter was in meditation and he received a vision but that vision did not exalt the body or inner self as the centre of peace but instead, it was a revelation from God and with it had truth and self-correction. Visions from God are not floating flowers and mindless states, they are constructive and deep with meaning, but in the end when we seek the vision and put all our energy into it we may very well see a vision but at the cost of turning the experience into an idol. Let God do his thing, your focus should be on God not on the experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0