Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard that Transcendental Meditation is not safe as. Would enter the door for demons

Maybe try relaxation or grounding e,we used instead (by grounding I mean the kind of exercise uses that help you when you feel intense panic. Anxiety or anger that threatens to spiral out of control

Eg.notice 5 things around you you can see
5 things you can touch
5 things you can hear

List them in your mind

Do again this time 4 things
Then 3
Then 2
then 1

I do this kind of exercise as part of my recovery from BPD and CPTSD . Really helps.with intense feelings flashbacks and impulsivity

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"So keep your thoughts continually fixed on all that is authentic and real, honorable and admirable, beautiful and respectful, pure and holy, merciful and kind. And fasten your thoughts on every glorious work of God, praising him always." Phillippians 4:8

Yes. We don't need to empty our minds or strain to reach some kind of nirvana or peaceful state.

Striving for peace is an oxymoron. We don't need to strive!!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure, i'm familiar with that. The meditation I described is about becoming still, clearing the mind and sucking in a lot of oxygen with super deep breaths, in through the nose then out through the mouth while trying not to think.

Your question as it relates to the soul was the point over a tree in the first garden.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as the OP , YES YES YES!!!!! I suffered from chronic overwhelming anxiety as a child due to having authoritarian, to the point that it was abusive, parents. Yoga and dance when I was a teen helped tremendously. It was such a relief not to see everything thing through a fog of fear and bad nerves. I ate better because I was more aware of how what I ate affected me physically and mentally . I was able to see my toxic parents as they were not the way I wanted them to be and I came out of my shell.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.) Ive been watching this youtube neuroscientist explain the brain function and health benefits. Before I became a Christian I dabbled in it with discernable results in the form of two brief animated visions (or dreams if you prefer) . I wasn't delusional, They just showed up like dreams behind my closed eyelids and were very brief but vivid and memorable. One was a lotus flower opening up and the other was a tiny meditating figure floating in my stomach area. I told my Buddhist friend at the time who showed me illustrations of those exact images in one of his books. I guess they are common, at least common enough to be recorded in a book.
So this neuroscientist ive been watching on youtube explains those visions. Apparently by focused breathing, oxygen can be channeled to stimulate the pineal gland in the brain which then produces DMT or the so called 'spirit molecule' which causes visions/dreams or hallucinations or whatever you want to call them. He says its chemically similar to LSD but is produced in the body naturally So presuming this is true, is this ok for a Christian to practice meditation? Also, the Bible is full of visions and dreams of the prophets so who is to say how God gave them those visions. Can meditation be a form of prayer to the Christian?
Well to be truthful, everything you have described and experienced is not the way of a Christian. If you do peruse this course of action you can add to the list these experiences as they will eventually appear. Tasting the fruit of the Holy Spirit and then rejecting Him, will catapult you to the realm of darkness. You are extra special to the adversary and he wants your soul. I know this , because it happened to me. You can not serve two masters.
Be blessed.

Sleep paralysis
Out of body experience
Kryias
Dark shadow visitations
Uncontrollable body movements
Uncontrollable speech
Loss of the Holy Spirit's guidance

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scott Husted

Apr 8, 2020
Virginia Beach
✟57,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. We don't need to empty our minds or strain to reach some kind of nirvana or peaceful state.

Striving for peace is an oxymoron. We don't need to strive!!

To me ... about striving is correct, but the peace that passes understanding and all that is in it and leads to it is more than words can describe ...

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It apparently over time can change the structure of the brain and other health benefits.

If trying to clear the mind and "sucking in air" can have some health benefits, do you not think it would be all the more beneficial to meditate on God and his word, and be filled with his breath, or Spirit?

Philippians 4:8.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.) Ive been watching this youtube neuroscientist explain the brain function and health benefits. Before I became a Christian I dabbled in it with discernable results in the form of two brief animated visions (or dreams if you prefer) . I wasn't delusional, They just showed up like dreams behind my closed eyelids and were very brief but vivid and memorable. One was a lotus flower opening up and the other was a tiny meditating figure floating in my stomach area. I told my Buddhist friend at the time who showed me illustrations of those exact images in one of his books. I guess they are common, at least common enough to be recorded in a book.
So this neuroscientist ive been watching on youtube explains those visions. Apparently by focused breathing, oxygen can be channeled to stimulate the pineal gland in the brain which then produces DMT or the so called 'spirit molecule' which causes visions/dreams or hallucinations or whatever you want to call them. He says its chemically similar to LSD but is produced in the body naturally So presuming this is true, is this ok for a Christian to practice meditation? Also, the Bible is full of visions and dreams of the prophets so who is to say how God gave them those visions. Can meditation be a form of prayer to the Christian?

What post # 2 said!

Teh mind cannot stay empty- someone or something will seek to fill it.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
May as well ask if physical exercise is wrong for a Christian. Meditation in and of itself is merely a form of mental exercise that works for both mental and physical fitness. Sure, you can add in spiritual aspects such as prayer, but those aspects are not mandatory to meditation in general.

I believe that one reason why so many Christians are unhealthy, both mentally and physically (and even spiritually), is because of this idea that practically everything in life is "demonic" and to be avoided at all costs, and therefore they live lives of great fear, anxiety, and stress.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My personal opinion is that it's not wrong. As long as there's no elements from other religions or some wrong spiritual goal. I mean it's just a fact that breathing a certain way can calm you down. Reducing cluttered thoughts and breathing a certain way are methods to control stress. Just because they're also used by beliefs like Buddhism doesn't mean they're inherently bad.

You could also be a more effective Christian if you're calmer, more focused and less stressed. I wouldn't exclude God entirely though on purpose. Give him thanks and praise.

Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God

I would like very much to be a more effective Christian by being calmer, more focused, and less stressed. And I know that a lot of us here would also like to become that way.
Depending on the outcome of the Vote, we may be able to do that in the New Year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I see what you are saying, but I m not sure that deliberately trying not to think and to still your mind will open you up to demonic possession. I'm not considering participating in guided meditations that manipulate thru suggestion. I wondered why the neuroscientist claims not thinking is beneficial while meditating. I m just speculating but maybe the benefit of not thinking is slowing the firing of neurons so that the brain reorganize itself ( Neuroplasticity.) facilitated by the oxygen intake. Sort of like a reboot of an OS. But I dont really know why they say the not thinking is essential.

I don't know either!

usually changing the direction of your thinking to positive thoughts, or being grateful for what you have, is more effective than abandoning all thought entirely.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well to be truthful, everything you have described and experienced is not the way of a Christian. If you do peruse this course of action you can add to the list these experiences as they will eventually appear. Tasting the fruit of the Holy Spirit and then rejecting Him, will catapult you to the realm of darkness. You are extra special to the adversary and he wants your soul. I know this , because it happened to me. You can not serve two masters.
Be blessed.

Sleep paralysis
Out of body experience
Kryias
Dark shadow visitations
Uncontrollable body movements
Uncontrollable speech
Loss of the Holy Spirit's guidance

wow that sounds really scary.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What post # 2 said!

The mind cannot stay empty- someone or something will seek to fill it.

"Empty" is a misleading term.

If we sit in silence with an interior that is still but alert and we have a deepened awareness of God's presence is that "empty"? Not really.

With an alacrity of attention, with a listening heart we may not have all the clutter of our usually thinking mind, but it is not empty. Rather, it is more subtle and we may begin to notice things that we usually do not. And we might even recognize that our thoughts and feelings come and go. We do not have to identify with them like we usually do.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If we sit in silence with an interior that is still but alert and we have a deepened awareness of God's presence is that "empty"? Not really.

With an alacrity of attention, with a listening heart we may not have all the clutter of our usually thinking mind, but it is not empty. Rather, it is more subtle and we may begin to notice things that we usually do not. And we might even recognize that our thoughts and feelings come and go. We do not have to identify with them like we usually do.

Yes, I find it helpful sometimes to notice what am thinking and letting unhelpful thoughts go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

James H. Austin?
It's Joe Dispensa He says some weird things that seem very new age so I didnt mention him up front. What interested me was the brain scans he discusses and and the mechanisms behind the benefits, which can be researched elsewhere without the new age aspects. Here is a Washington Post article about measurable differences in test subjects after 8 weeks of meditation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...duces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/

I remember seeing similar studies about the effects of prayer and health.
When I meditated before being a Christian I had those two 'visions' or dreams while meditating which seemed dark and demonic to me in retrospect after becoming a Christian, but now I'm wondering if those were just results of stimulating the pineal gland as per the research suggests according to Dispensa and others. I wonder if any Christians who meditate have any sort of day dreams or visions while doing practicing it.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's Joe Dispensa He says some weird things that seem very new age so I didnt mention him up front. What interested me was the brain scans he discusses and and the mechanisms behind the benefits, which can be researched elsewhere without the new age aspects. Here is a Washington Post article about measurable differences in test subjects after 8 weeks of meditation.

I just experience the dreamy images, and subtle movements of my own inner self. Nothing unusual. And that is after 40 years of it. But I do need that inner silence and stillness to stay mentally healthy. My faith tells me it is God's presence.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Eastern meditation" is not a form of praying. I know there are Christians who meditate the way describe, but I wouldn't do it. I walk in nature as a natural way to calm my mind.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've recently entertaining taking up meditation again. (The practice of sitting still, clearing the mind and focusing on breathing.)

Are you into physical fitness?

I believe you can find all of those things you seek in focused exercise, at a steady and rhythmic pace!

*Except maybe the "sitting still"

**Plank (exercise) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0