Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Invader Pichu said:
Sex consist of 2 people or more. Masturbation is something you do by yourself. Therefore it isn't sex.
I disagree, and I think that indulgence in it can lead to problems with intmacy.
There's nothing wrong with it. Everyone, whether they'd like to admit it or not, has 'urges'. All animals have these urges; humans are no different. Masturbation is just a way to relieve oneself of these urges.
Humans may well have urges, but humans are gifted with the ability to reason and also the ability to practice self control. Many animals eat their young, some like to wing their own dung around.. doesn't mean we should justify that behavior in humans.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
geocajun said:
It sure would be nice if those of you who say it isn't wrong or sinful would provide a little context to your argument.
Those of us who insist that it is wrong, have used Church teaching, and natural law to support our argument.
To me it's natural - it's human nature and I don't feel God telling me it's a sin. So really, the only back up I have is God, the Holy Spirit and what He tells me and that's all the proof I need for me. I think that's wonderful that some people have text books and church teachings but guess what? There are Churches out there who do not have a problem with it. Several in fact. ;)

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Blessed75 said:
To me it's natural - it's human nature and I don't feel God telling me it's a sin. So really, the only back up I have is God, the Holy Spirit and what He tells me and that's all the proof I need for me. I think that's wonderful that some people have text books and church teachings but guess what? There are Churches out there who do not have a problem with it. Several in fact. ;)
how many truths are there?

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
geocajun said:
how many truths are there?
Everyone has their own truth.

But my mother used to tell me, "There's YOUR truth, MY truth and THE truth".

Hey, I am just disagreeing with you - I have that right. I spoke my truth and you spoke yours. ;)

And please don't say the bible says this or that, b/c I let the Holy Spirit interpret the Bible for me and I know the bible very well. I don't go by the letter, I go by the spirit, b/c the letter kills but the spirit brings life. Again, just my POV. :)

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Blessed75 said:
Everyone has their own truth.

But my mother used to tell me, "There's YOUR truth, MY truth and THE truth".
So which is the THE truth? That masturbation is sinful or not... Either the Holy Spirit has led us for the first 19 centuries to say it was sinful, or the Holy Spirit did not lead us until the sexual revolution of this century.

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
geocajun said:
So which is the THE truth? That masturbation is sinful or not... Either the Holy Spirit has led us for the first 19 centuries to say it was sinful, or the Holy Spirit did not lead us until the sexual revolution of this century.
I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here, but when you ask which is THE truth - I guess that's something you need to take up with God. Me and God are okay on the subject. To me, it's personal - I have dealt with God on the issue or rather He has dealt with me and I just told you my pov. It's different for everyone I guess. We're all God's children and we're all individuals. Really, this is all I have to say on the matter. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree? ;)

Michelle - she is - funny how I didn't think that when I was a teenager! ^_^

Upvote 0

DrBob

Googly Bear
Mar 6, 2004
Reno, NV
✟2,661.00
Faith
Protestant
geocajun said:
Like so many things in this world, just because it is permitted does not mean it is always helpful or healthy.

There is no need to make this into a black and white issue. If it causes you to stumble then abstain.

There is no clear Biblical guideline on this issue. Those who invoke the 'well you can't do it without lusting in your heart' argument fail to realize that the same sermon also makes angry thoughts equivalent to murder to only cite one example. The point being that we are all sinners and fall short and need God's grace for salvation and redemption. So if thinking can make you come up with the thought that someone is stupid then that sermon suggests we are guilty of murder. So is thinking wrong too?

Doc

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
DrBob said:
Like so many things in this world, just because it is permitted does not mean it is always helpful or healthy.

There is no need to make this into a black and white issue. If it causes you to stumble then abstain.

There is no clear Biblical guideline on this issue.

Doc
It sure is good for us Catholics that scripture never says anyting like "if its not outlawed in scripture, its a good thing to do"

I think this is really coming down to an objective vs. subjective morality debate - which is a whole different thread.

I consider myself blessed to live at a time 2,000 years after Jesus formed the Church, so I can say that as with all things, I am gonna go with the constant teaching of the Church (which is animated by the Holy Spirit).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBob

Googly Bear
Mar 6, 2004
Reno, NV
✟2,661.00
Faith
Protestant
geo said:
I consider myself blessed to live at a time 2,000 years after Jesus formed the Church, so I can say that as with all things, I am gonna go with the constant teaching of the Church (which is animated by the Holy Spirit).

I can totally respect that Geo and there is alot to respect in the wisdom of the founding fathers and in the teachings of the Catholic church as well.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
geocajun said:
Masturbation is intrinsically disordered because there is only love of self, and self gratification involved in it.
Our sexual organs are beutiful things - not "steam to be let off" they have a purpose and it is not self gratification but the rather for procreation and unitive love between the opposite sex.
I have to disagree with you here. One can be brought to a very deep level of love and union with God through the art of masturbation. It all depends upon intention.

Upvote 0

justaman

acc dictator and tyrant
Oct 27, 2003
brisbane
✟18,642.00
Faith
Atheist
geocajun said:
Masturbation is intrinsically disordered because there is only love of self, and self gratification involved in it.
Our sexual organs are beutiful things - not "steam to be let off" they have a purpose and it is not self gratification but the rather for procreation and unitive love between the opposite sex.
:|

What is the purpose of the beard? God clearly gave you one...so I hope you don't shave it :eek:

What are the purpose of your finger nails? If you ever bite or pick them too short you're denying God's purpose of your body. :eek:

What are the purpose of breasts? I hope you don't in any way shape or form find breasts remotely attractive. :eek:

What are the purpose of legs? To get you places right? That's why God gave them to you. So I hope you don't deny him by driving anywhere :eek:

What part of the human anatomy was designed with the purpose of typing on a keyboard?
What was made with the purpose of signing your signature?
What had the purpose of opening a safe?
What had the purpose of sharpening a pencil?

There are plenty of things in life which we can do despite our bodies not being specifically designed to do them.

Reactions: transientlife
Upvote 0

Dyrwen

Godless Reprobate
Jun 24, 2003
WA, USA. Earth.
Visit site
✟16,073.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
fashionably_lonely said:
Is masturbation a question people like to argue on religious message boards? Yes.
Suprised no one has said it but, if these people are arguing on message boards are they not just debating? They seem to want to achieve the title of master debator.

*shameless joke*

But yeah.. It's just self gratification, I'm already abstaining for sex, drugs, alcohol, and the majority of social interaction. If I see fit, I figure a little self pleasure isn't going to kill me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chalice_thunder said:
I have to disagree with you here. One can be brought to a very deep level of love and union with God through the art of masturbation. It all depends upon intention.
perhaps you could elaborate on this theory for us. . .

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
geocajun said:
perhaps you could elaborate on this theory for us. . .

I won't elaborate too much in the thread - but you can PM me if you like.

Just consider the church mystics (many of which were RC) who's writings about God are of an ecstatic nature.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.