Status
Not open for further replies.

christianfilmcrew

Sep 4, 2004
✟922.00
Faith
Christian
Sascha Fitzpatrick said:
What about if I'm showing my (as yet unknown) husband love by letting him touch when I'm too tired?

If he's not going to get to sleep because he's 'frisky', I think I'm acting out of love by suggesting he get rid of the urge - he can still do it while holding me and thinking of me.

I think in that instance, and in instances when I'm away that masturbation is ok.

I'm still unsure of unmarried masturbation - when you're a little kid and 'exploring' I don't think it's all that bad - but I think that if you have no 'married' way of relieving it, then you need to focus your mind elsewhere at that time.

When you're married, and alone or the other partner is too tired, I would tend to find it ok to utilise. That is, of course, unless I knew that there was a inappropriate content/lust problem going on.

Sasch
Sascha, how many husbands have you really had?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crispie

Conservative Christian
Jun 29, 2004
✟10,388.00
Faith
Non-Denom
nickfury said:
How can you say masturbation is not a sin. It is sexual immorality and Paul said you will not inherit the Kingdom of God If you do this.

No, he didnt. And if you mean that one verse, what he means people with that nature adulterers liers etc, unsaved people, will not inherit the kingdom of God. Remember, no sin can break our bonds to God in this covenant, God has forgiven all our sins and we are now able to go to heaven.

Upvote 0

victor128

Sep 14, 2004
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to think b4 reading this thread that masturbation was not a sin, only lust and inappropriate contentography and fantasizing and different things people do while masturbating might be sinful, but masturbation in and of itself isn't sinful is what I thought. But now I am confused from reading all this material in this thread. Apparently people just don't know if it is or not. IT has been noted that young children, even babies and infants touch, sometimes even before they are born. Is what they are doing as toddlers or young children wrong? And if not, at what point in there life does masturbation become sinful if they keep that up all there life. People find out about masturbation a lot by accident and by themselves, and when they actually know what it is that they are doing it can be of different ages, many people don't even know what masturbation is till they are a young adult, yet they themselves may have masturbated all thru there childhood and adulthood years just not knowing what it is they are doing. So, in scenarios like that, when does it become wrong for these people who touch and don't even know what masturbation is, especially if they are children?? And, then what do you do about it when you find out it is a sin and want to quit but are in a bad habit? How do you get rid of that urge and that tingling feeling you get each day associated with the urge to touch?

Reactions: MQTA
Upvote 0

want8trax

Sep 14, 2004
✟114.00
Faith
Christian
what if you often touch in your sleep and wake up masturbating? apparently this is a normal activity too for some people. you can stop masturbating as much as you can when you are awake but may touch in your sleep and wake up doing that? is that sinful, to touch when you are asleep when you probably had no control over that? Of course when you wake up and realize what you are doing, you can either keep doing it, or you can stop, but it sure is hard to stop.

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
victor128 said:
I used to think b4 reading this thread that masturbation was not a sin, only lust and inappropriate contentography and fantasizing and different things people do while masturbating might be sinful, but masturbation in and of itself isn't sinful is what I thought. But now I am confused from reading all this material in this thread. Apparently people just don't know if it is or not. IT has been noted that young children, even babies and infants touch, sometimes even before they are born. Is what they are doing as toddlers or young children wrong? And if not, at what point in there life does masturbation become sinful if they keep that up all there life. People find out about masturbation a lot by accident and by themselves, and when they actually know what it is that they are doing it can be of different ages, many people don't even know what masturbation is till they are a young adult, yet they themselves may have masturbated all thru there childhood and adulthood years just not knowing what it is they are doing. So, in scenarios like that, when does it become wrong for these people who touch and don't even know what masturbation is, especially if they are children?? ?
In Catholicism a mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and consent, so if a person is unaware of what they are doing is wrong then it is not a mortal sin.

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the point where masturbation turns from 'normal exploring' to 'sin' is when your thought life is being sinful - ie, when you are thinking of sexual exploits with someone who is either a) not your spouse or even b) not your spouse YET. I wouldn't be getting upset at a young child (pre and peri-puberty) because that is normal. I would during the course of normal 'sex' talk start talking to them though about how masturbation can turn into a sin, and that it's generally not a good idea to continue doing it after the initial onset of puberty - regardless of anything else, it also makes a mess if you're a boy (and I'm sure he'd be embarrassed having his mum cleaning the sheets)!

I can't honestly argue with someone who says that they touch whilst not thinking of anybody - I have been at that place before personally, however I discovered that it wasn't too long until I DID start putting a 'nameless' person into my mind, which is STILL sinful - even though I didn't know the person, they still weren't my husband. I had some sexual addiction problems in my past, so masturbation has NEVER been a great idea for me. Thankfully I've been dealing with this over the past few years, so the urge has greatly decreased, to the point where I just don't do it.

Dreams - well I don't think you can be held TOO accountable for what happens in your subconscious, however, I would be praying that God would remove those images and actions from my dreaming time - he's big enough to get in there and change it! :)

And, as I've said before, I wouldn't have a problem with masturbation in marriage, provided that there was no hint of adultery or addiction with it (or implementation of inappropriate content, etc). Tiredness on the other partner's part would warrant it (I'd expect my husband to ask me if I minded him doing it, and to be doing it in my presence), as would a distance factor, provided again they were thoughts of me and not with the implementation of magazines or other objects.

Just my beliefs there. I think you're getting into risky territory doing it unmarried at an age where you CAN be married. I do think repeated performances would be sinful, as you would eventually succomb to some 'enhancer', whether that be inappropriate content, thoughts, toys, etc.

Sasch

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

victor128

Sep 14, 2004
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sasch, I honestly don't think of anyone at all when I touch. Thing is, I started to do it so young, I cannot remember my first time, it was as an infant. If you were to ask a child why they do it, for many it is a pacifier, like when they are afraid or something. And I think that can continue to adulthood even, masturbating when you are stressed out or something. I know you should pray and stuff when you are stressed and I do. What do I think about when I touch? I think about lots of things, things I have to do that day, or virtually anything else, but I do not lust, use inappropriate content, or fantasize or think about anyone really. Why do I do it?? Perhaps the same reasons as I did as a child, after I discovered it by accident when I was little. As a pacifier, and now I probably more or less do it as after all this time it would now be an addiction. Honestly, what do you think, am I doing anything wrong?? Also, why does God allow many children to discover masturbation as a child when children don't know what it is even or know that it may be wrong. Then they can be addicted to it before adolescense even. And now, as a young adult, I find out that it may be a sin. Well, now it pretty hard to stop, not after doing it all my life and becoming addicted to it. If it is so wrong, why did God allow me to get addicted to it before I knew it was wrong, and now have me struggle with quitting?? Also, unlike other sins, masturbation doesn't seem to have the consequences associated with sin. When a person has pre-marital sex for example, they risk unwanted pregnancies, and there are s.t.d.'s they can pick up, and there are other consequences too. And there are consequences when we tell lies, and pretty much every sin. But, what are the consequences of masturbation, when it is done without any lust, fantasizing, or inappropriate contentography. I mean lust, inappropriate contentography and all that has consequences, but what does masturbation actually have???

Upvote 0

Sascha Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2004
✟9,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Victor,

Honestly, if you can touch to release stress and NOT be thinking about what it would be like if someone else (even if you haven't actually got a real person in mind), or tempted to 'enhance' with objects, then I can't really come out clearly and go 'yes that is a sin'. That's from my own experience - it was the thoughts that started coming out over time that made it part of a sexual addiction I had, and made it sinful in my eyes.

I can't go around condemning everyone about masturbation, it is something you have to come to on your own. If you are totally honest and upfront with yourself in saying that you never think anything sexual whilst masturbating, and it is purely a stress releaser, then in and of itself I wouldn't think it was sinful.

However, having been in the place where I did it to relieve stress and anxiety (ie without thoughts and enhancers), and then see it slowly deviate to include things that would manifest it as 'lust' and therefore sin, I would caution you to have a look at other things you could do to relieve stress. The last thing you want is something to have a hold over you where you just can't 'not' do it.

You admit that it woud be almost impossible for you to stop now, and that is an issue. Nothing (apart from worshipping God) should be that strong in our lives that it would be impossible to stop - that does imply addiction, which is, even if not completely 'sinful', definitely dangerous. It says that something other than God and your own will has power over you.

As someone who was a victim of sexual abuse, I am very anti anything that can have power over me (apart from God, obviously). I personally do not like being in a place where something else dictates to me, and where I am, in some form or another a 'victim'. I think this was part of the thing that 'resolved' (I'm not cured YET) the addictions I had - I couldn't bear the thought of something else having power over me and not being able to control it.

I will pray for you though - I believe you when you say you don't think of sexual/lustful things whilst you're doing it (I was like that for years), but it is a slippery slope into sinfulness, eventually.

As for consequences, whilst they may not be completely 'physical' (ie STDs, pregnancy, etc), there are certainly emotional fallouts from addictive masturbation. When you get into a married relationship, some of those selfish expectations that were developed through masturbation can be introduced into a marriage bed, often with devastating consequences for your spouse. It can often turn sex into a 'me first' agenda - with no thought of pleasuring someone else. I do know of some couples who struggled in the beginnings of their sexual relationship due to repeated masturbation on one or both parties parts. The act of 'standard masturbation' (ie, done to yourself) can often hinder intercourse, as you are so used to doing it exactly the way you want it done, that having someone else involved can often frustrate and irritate someone. Plus, if inappropriate content or toys have come into the equation with it, some men desire their wives to do the same, and may remove themselves from that intimate expression of love, if that desire is not met. All things, which in my books, does not equate mutual lovemaking and making your spouse feel desired and loved and accepted!

God bless, and I sincerely hope my transperency didn't offend anyone. I would also appreciate feedback if something didn't make sense/is disagreed with/made sense.

Sasch

Upvote 0

Seeker314

May 18, 2004
✟15,281.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree very much with your perspective Sascha, it incorporates a psychological perspective that few consider when looking at long-term psychological effects; basically speaking, the imagination can add mental content to the mind, and imagining certain sexual scenarios on a consistent basis will definitely have a lasting influence on actual sexual expectations. Well put...

"He who has ears, let him hear"...

Seeker314

Upvote 0

Freeman777

Mar 30, 2006
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
HackerCatcher said:
I am tired of the judgmentalism of some posts on this thread. Listen! I have a friend who has lustful thoughts. He tells me when he is sometimes away from his wife he finds it extremely difficult. He is tempted to buy girlie magazines, or see a inappropriate content movie, or fantasizes about going to a strip club, or even a prostitute. Yet, he loves his wife dearly. He is just a weak human being like all of us. He tells me that the bad thoughts can go on for days driving him absolutely mad with temptation.

He has been a Christian for decades, so he prays about it, but the temptation does not go away. In the end, he masturbates to put a stop to the whole thing. He wants to be loyal to his wife and so far has not been unfaithful. He says touching yourself is the only thing that allows him rest from his lustful thoughts. He says he hates being away from his wife on business, because of this situation. I don't judge him. How can I! I think if I told him about some of your judgmental comments he would be devastated. Some choices in life are like Rahab's lie, the lesser of two evils.
Masturbation is a wonderful gift from God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.