Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
bashful said:
I have heard both ways.

I've heard both ways as well. I think the difference in opinion is one of saying, well, there's nowhere that we can find in the Bible where it says "No, masturbation is not allowed", in that it explicitly says it. Most evidence I've seen against it is in the form of following certain other pieces of scripture against other practices and sort of 'connecting the dots', as it were, hoping it applies to the situation but aren't really sure as to whether it does or not. I tend to hold the belief that if it doesn't explicitly state it or use some sort of euphemism(sp?) to soften the impact of the statement, it's more of a personal decision. I actually did see a youth pastor's column in one of Focus on the Family's magazines say that as long as it's not done in excess or with inappropriate contentography or similar content in front of your eyes, that it's fine. Just not to get addicted to it, which is hard. That column basically showed me that it's a personal decision. It depends on the person. Some people view it as normal, don't get guilty about it, and as long as they don't have an addiction, I would say it's fine in their case. If you don't feel comfortable with it, feel guilty, and either don't want to have or actually do have an addiction, I'd say it's a problem, or at least, something you should work on. I think the latter of those two statements holds true for most Christians, but like I said before, it depends on the person. Some people feel comfortable with it themselves (not talking about it, keeping it a personal matter), but feel guilty about it after the face, and may or may not have an addiction. There's a lot of different standpoints and combinations of personal feelings about it and about actually doing it. I say to just be wise in your decisions concerning it.

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think masturbation is a sin. If one should get "excited", it is better to touch than to have pre-marital sex, or, God forbid, rape.

You could also follow the Bible's advice:

1 Corinthians 7:9
(9) But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Upvote 0

lands21

Veteran
Oct 21, 2003
Washington
Visit site
✟1,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think masturbation is a sin. If one should get "excited", it is better to touch than to have pre-marital sex, or, God forbid, rape.

You could also follow the Bible's advice:

quot-top-left.gif
Quote:
quot-top-right.gif
quot-top-right-10.gif
(9) But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif
As you saying this verse has to do with touching yourself? Specifically?

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I'm thinking more along the lines of pre-marital sex being a misnomer, I'll agree with you on this. Especially rape.

But the verse you provided talks of marrying only, not of masturbation.

Upvote 0

ridesawhitehorse

riding for Jesus and Mary
Apr 20, 2004
Columbia River Gorge
✟250.00
Faith
Catholic
Masturbation is a sin against purity and has no place in the life of a person who is seeking a higher holy life. It also mocks the gift of marital relations, and suggests that we are animals that cannot control our carnal urges. We are humans.
To condone it, or to say that it is a relative matter - does not add to dignity of human life which is what we christians are all about, no?

Reactions: Mea Culpa
Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟22,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To condone it, or to say that it is a relative matter - does not add to dignity of human life which is what we christians are all about, no?
I don't think it takes away from it either.

It's better to have the restraint to simply touch than it is to go out and force someone to have sex with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

jeffderuyter21 said:

As you saying this verse has to do with touching yourself? Specifically?
No, I'm saying that if one prefers not to touch and still engage in a sexual act, it would be better for him to follow this advice. :)

Ceph said:
God forbid rape, where?
:confused: Huh?

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ridesawhitehorse said:
So, Angelus.. Then we use masturbation... a lesser sin - to pacify rapists, a greater sin.
That is illogical also. It is like saying you tolerate people beating each other up if it keeps them from killing each other.
Either one is a sin before God.

Masturbation may hurt people's feelings, create guilt, and whatnot, but rape causes far more damage than pleasuring oneself ever could. Rape is a sin before God, yes, but it is also a sin and violent crime against another human being. One wrong that's self-contained and a private matter between one person and God (and any people you might tell, and all of them will be understanding, not deeply wounded by it) is infinitely less harmful than one wrong that is actually dozens of wrongs, psychologically, emotionally, and physically for the victim and the pain their family members will experience. It's not illogical at all. It's minimizing the damage, not condoning anything. If it was either masturbation or rape, which one would any normal person choose, and which one do you think God would rather us choose, knowing that there is no "third option". That's the question, hypothetically. My personal thoughts on the matter is that masturbation is an extremely gray area, but in all possible scenarios, not to resort to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MQTA

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2004
Ft Myers, FL
✟69,630.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ridesawhitehorse said:
Masturbation is a sin against purity and has no place in the life of a person who is seeking a higher holy life. It also mocks the gift of marital relations, and suggests that we are animals that cannot control our carnal urges. We are humans.
What other animals touch? I'll also bet they don't feel guilty about it. And they probably don't enjoy it as much as we can.

Upvote 0

MQTA

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2004
Ft Myers, FL
✟69,630.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, they Mass Debate it. Such a shame that the one thing that people can do to please themselves is shunned so much. The guilt alone must drive people crazy.

I wonder if there's any stats on people who get prostate cancer from not keeping their plumbing working properly.

Blazin4Christ said:
its very much wrong, if you go to the guys forum in the youth section of lifestages in the CHristian only area you can see how people debate about it, but ultimately I personally think its wrong

Upvote 0

MQTA

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2004
Ft Myers, FL
✟69,630.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A man's penis should be his best friend. Nobody can tell you what to do with it when you're completely alone with it. If you want to suppress your humanness, go right ahead.

I always heard that statistics show 95% of males touch, the other 5% lie about it.

Comparing masturbation to anything else is apples to oranges.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.