Is masturbation a sin? Will it send me to hell?

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question we need to ask ourselves is did God make Adam with sexual organs before he make Eve? If He did then where and how would Adam derive his pleasure from?
That touches on the whole idea of taking Genesis literally.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2018
Louisana
✟8,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is very little if anything regarding masturbation in the Word … Some people try to stretch some scripture to show it wrong …but I have yet to see anything worthy of rebuke on masturbation.

However I have seen where God specifically states that > there is no down judgement (condemnation) to those in Christ Jesus.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [The words cross out are not in the originals… they do appear in Rom 8:4.]

Condemning yourself is not believing God’s word, (because he says there is no down judgment) and it will throw you out of fellowship (harmony) with God…..But there is nothing you can do that will affect your standing as a son/daughter of God…. that is a permanent standing with the spirit of God you have within….you can never lose that….no matter what you do.

If you mess up with anything ….you thank God for forgiveness and move on…. Never condemn yourself..... I am not saying masturbation is a sin …but if you are going to condemn yourself for it ….that is much worse.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2018
Louisana
✟8,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You Should Not touch Because It’s a Sin According to the Bible

The word masturbation is not in the Bible but the category of masturbation is listed in the Bible. And to be clear, I’m not talking about the lust that is associated with masturbation, which I’ll talk more about in the points ahead. Here I’m talking strictly about the physical act of masturbation being a sin apart from the lust that comes with it. Some men say they can touch with a blank mind. This is still sinful according to the Bible.

The “F word” is not listed in the Bible, but it’s clearly a sin to use it because it falls in the category of foul speech (Ephesians 5:4, Colossians 3:8). “Insider trading” is not named in the Bible, but it’s a sin because it’s in the category of theft, deceit, and not following the laws of the land (Ephesians 4:28, Romans 13:1-2). The word “abortion” is not listed in the Bible, but it’s a sin because it’s in the category of murder (Exodus 20:13).

Likewise, “masturbation” and “self-pleasure” are not named in the Bible, but they are a sin because they are in the category of “sexual immorality” (1 Corinthians 7:2), “a lack of self-control” (1 Corinthians 7:5), and “burning with passion” (1 Corinthians 7:9). When you read 1 Corinthians 7:1-9, it’s very clear that the only sexual experience condoned by God is that which takes place between a husband and wife. Masturbation does not fall into that category thus it is a sexual sin.

If you’re married, all sexual experiences must be with your spouse. If you’re unmarried, you must pursue marriage to experience sexual pleasure with your spouse and in the meantime, you must abstain from all sexual pleasure.

Masturbation is condemned in the Bible through what is condoned in the Bible. Every sin in the world is not listed specifically in the Bible but through the categories of what is prescribed in Scripture we can know what is also proscribed through Scripture even if it’s not specifically listed in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To those that say masturbation is not a sin I urge you to look to Jesus word's in Matthew 5 27:30.

>“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

The context did not change. He is speaking to adultery and lust in your heart when he tells us to cut off our hand if it causes us to stumble. What else would he mean about cutting off your right hand? The topic itself is lust and adultery, what do you do with your right hand that has to do with lust and adultery? Its quite clear that touching yourself is a sin if you take in the full context here... I too use to believe that masturbation was not a sin until I began leaning on the holy spirit to convict me of sins instead of myself.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand why so many people seem so sure and so ready to declare that they have found something that God somehow forgot to include in the Bible.

The implicit suggestion that no one ever did it so it didn't merit inclusion in the biblical text as something forbidden is simply untenable. It's so untenable, nobody even suggests it out loud, but it is certainly implicit in the observation that there is no scripture that directly addresses it but people still declare it wrong.

The fact is, however, that masturbation is directly addressed in the Bible.

This is not generally acknowledged, but the very reason is that the people looking to find it in the Bible are not looking at passages that do not condemn it. They are looking for a passage to condemn it, and since the passage that does mention masturbation does not actually condemn it, they simply ignore it.

What passage?

The passage I speak of is Lev. 15:16-17. However, to fully understand it, we really should look at verses 16-19 (and the following verses too, if you want). Here is the passage:

16 ‘Now if a man has a seminal emission, he shall bathe all his body in water and be unclean until evening. 17 As for any garment or any leather on which there is seminal emission, it shall be washed with water and be unclean until evening.

There it is.
Masturbation in the Bible.

Some claim that this is really talking a “nocturnal emission” and claim that it only applies if the guy is asleep. But that limitation is not found in the passage. Furthermore, we’ll see in the very next verse that the guy is obviously awake there, so we can’t just “read it into” this verse. There is nothing specified in these verses about whether the “emission” happened spontaneously or by active intent. Clearly then, it must apply to either case, so this passage definitely does speak to masturbation.

Notice the only “penalty” for this event is that the man will be ceremonially “unclean” until evening. But does that mean that the practice is wrong? “Unclean” can’t be good, can it? Don’t jump to conclusionslet’s read on…

18 If a man lies with a woman so that there is a seminal emission, they shall both bathe in water and be unclean until evening.

This verse gives the same “penalty” for a man having sexual relations with his wife… which of course, also includes a “seminal emission.” Let’s keep reading…

19 ‘When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. (The verses that follow expand on the regulations regarding a woman’s period)

Here, we see the very same “penalty” for a woman having her menstrual period!

Would anyone try to make the case that marital sex is wrong? Or a woman’s period? Of course not! Therefore, we cannot claim that the Bible teaches that the practice of masturbation—in and of itself—is wrong!

So, the only verse in the Bible that clearly applies to masturbation does not condemn.

Full stop.

Those who claim that the bible condemns masturbation are simply wrong. They are lying about what God says in his word. They are trying to build man-made rules for righteousness which god did not give. That is what the Pharisees in Jesus' time did. And it is no more right or acceptable to do today.

Those who would declare that masturbation is a sin are guilty themselves of the sin of adding to God's word. Quite frankly, it is the more grievous sin.

Before people start jumping to conclusions that I do not believe, let me just declare unequivocally, this is not saying that lust and illicit imaginations while masturbating is okay. Those things are clearly wrong. But the act of masturbating by itself is not inextricably linked to lust.

I've written a series of articles about this very topic, in fact, I pasted in a few paragraphs from that article here.

David Martin

Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, the only verse in the Bible that clearly applies to masturbation does not condemn.

You are ignoring Matthew 5 27:30 which addresses masturbation. Jesus did not change topics here, what other offense would the right hand commit that has to do with lust and adultery in your heart? If not masturbation, what sin is he speaking of? Where is the change of topic? What hoops must you jump through to make this not about masturbation?

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus did not change topics here, ...

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

So you're saying that Jesus didn't change topics, but wasn't the topic clearly adultery?

Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you're saying that Jesus didn't change topics, but wasn't the topic clearly adultery?

Adultery in your heart yes Jesus is quite clear on this if you look upon a woman with lust in your heart you are commiting adultery. He then without changing topics tells us to gouge our eye out if it causes us to stumble, to cut our hand off if it causes us to stumble.

If this is not about masturbation, what is he speaking of? What do you do with your right hand that has to do with lust and adultery in your heart?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But since when is masturbation considered to be adultery?

Jesus said clear as day that you are comiting adultery in your heart by even looking at a woman with lust. Here it is again for you, please read our Lords words.

Matthew 5 27:30: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery. 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Now that I answered your question, answer mine that you conveniently seemed to miss...

If he is not speaking about masturbation, what is he speaking of? What do you do with your right hand that has to do with lust and adultery in your heart? What sin do you commit with your right hand that Jesus is telling you to cut it off for?

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If he is not speaking about masturbation, what is he speaking of?

Ah, but here's the thing, my inability to supply an alternative answer doesn't mean that I have to accept yours... does it?

Remember, you're the one who said that the topic didn't change, and the topic was adultery. So when did masturbation become adultery? ( Yup, I'm rejecting your first answer)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but here's the thing, my inability to supply an alternative answer doesn't mean that I have to accept yours... does it?
Neither you or I are the arbiters of what a sin is, our Lord is and he said it clear as day. You can ignore our Lords words if you want, but do so at your own peril.

Your inability to supply an alternative answer simply shows you have no basis to argue against the fact that it is indeed a sin. If you dont want to accept our Lords words, thats on you brother.

Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remember, you're the one who said that the topic didn't change, and the topic was adultery. So when did masturbation become adultery? ( Yup, I'm rejecting your first answer)

Nice ninja edit after a response, Jesus told you it is adultery to even look at a women with lust. You cannot deny this. He then told you to gouge your eye out if it causes you to sin commiting adultery by looking at a woman with lust, What else would he be talking about? What sin do you commit with your eyes? He then told you to cut your hand off if it causes you to sin commiting adultery by masterbating with lustful thoughts of a woman just as if you were looking at her. Its no different.

If adultery is not the sin that you are commiting with your right hand, what is? What do you think Jesus is telling you is a sin you perform with your right hand? Funny how you cant answer that, it proves you are wrong whether you like it or not.

There is no argument you can make against this logic other than just nah I don't believe you, don't believe me, believe Christ. Or continue on in unrepentant sin, you do you bro. If you cant come up with a logical objection, you're wrong.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What else would he be talking about? What sin do you commit with your eyes?

None that I can think of, what about you?

Funny how you cant answer that, it proves you are wrong whether you like it or not.

Odd how many bible studies I've read that didn't pick up on this... I guess you must be special.

When interpreting scripture one always runs the risk of getting bogged down in the weeds. It happens to the best of us. When encountering a person like that the best thing to do is just agree to disagree. If you're happy, and I'm happy, then no harm done.

May the force be with you. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None that I can think of, what about you?

Odd how many bible studies I've read that didn't pick up on this... I guess you must be special.

When interpreting scripture one always runs the risk of getting bogged down in the weeds. It happens to the best of us. When encountering a person like that the best thing to do is just agree to disagree. If you're happy, and I'm happy, then no harm done.

May the force be with you. :wave:
Many bible studies Ive read have picked up on it, but im sure you are able to cherry pick what you will.

May Christ be with you.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello. Ever since I started to take seriously my walk with God I've been wondering if masturbation is a sin or not. I have to be honest, I once was addicted. I used to do it even if I didn't feel the urge, sometimes I couldn't focus on studying, I'd stay awake till late night. I got addicted to inappropriate content too. I was sure it was ok, I used to be controlled by lust. But then God convinced me and I decided to let go and it has been easier than I thought, he gave me so much strength. I remember that I didn't even care about waiting until marriage. He changed my mind about this too and I'm so happy with this choice! Let's go back to masturbation again. I rarely feel the urge now; I still do sometimes tho, and with "sometimes" I mean once a month and a half/two months. I gave up on inappropriate content and anything erotic that I used to read or listen to, thanks to God. The urge that I feel isn't because I thought about something sexual by the way, I thought I had to make it clear since some people say that it's something we shouldn't think of (and I agree). I'm trying my best to live according to God's word. Would it still be a sin? I really don't want God to give up on me and to be disappointed because of this. I'm a 16 year old girl and I obviously can't get married. I tried to look for answers everywhere but it only confused me more because it was a different answer everytime.
It is just a bodily function and therefore not a sin in itself. But then we have weaker Christians whose conscience tell them that it is a sin for them. So, when fellowshiping with these weaker Christians, it is better not to advocate masturbation because the weaker Christian could come into conflict if they are encouraged to sin against their own conscience. But what a person does in the privacy of their bedroom is their own business. Of course, the sin involved could be the sexual fantasies that one has that cause them to be aroused and brings on the desire to touch. Others view inappropriate contentography which brings on masturbation, so the sin is viewing the inappropriate contento images.

I would adopt what Paul says in Romans 7. When I sin, my heart is committed to the law of God, but it is my sinful flesh that causes me to sin. Oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ my Lord (ie: He has delivered me from the body of this death through my faith in Christ). Therefore there is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus.

John says that if I have no sin I deceive myself and the truth is not in me, but if I confess my sin, He is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse me from all unrighteousness.

I say that 95% of all men touch at times, and the other 5% are liars. I don't know what the proportion is for females.

Your conflict is symptomatic of the flesh warring against the Spirit and the Spirit warring against the flesh. We can look forward to the day when we are resurrected into our glorified bodies and have left problems like masturbation back in the grave where they belong.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are ignoring Matthew 5 27:30 which addresses masturbation. Jesus did not change topics here, what other offense would the right hand commit that has to do with lust and adultery in your heart? If not masturbation, what sin is he speaking of? Where is the change of topic? What hoops must you jump through to make this not about masturbation?

Wow, that is a HUGE stretch... Reading masturbation into Jesus' mention of the "right hand"!

maybe, MAYBE you could make that assertion if ANYWHERE else in the Bible there was ANY hint of that idea...

Absent that, you're talking pure speculation and probably eisegesis!

Maybe YOU decide that before God that's the way YOU are going to apply Jesus' teaching here, but you are WAY, WAY out of line of you presume to derive a moral mandate against masturbation solely on the basis of this ONE AND ONLY text! (Particularly when there's an OT passage that DOES address masturbation without condemnation)

Any determination of a moral standard of behavior in the Bible MUST reach a much higher benchmark than that!

The primary error of the Pharisees was not that they did not want to follow the biblical way of righteous living, but that, in their zeal too obey God's word, they crafted a boatload of man-made rules and elevated them to the status of God-made results and judged people who didn't abide by them.

That's precisely what Jesus despised about the Pharisees... Don't be a Pharisee!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is a HUGE stretch... Reading masturbation into Jesus' mention of the "right hand"!

maybe, MAYBE you could make that assertion if ANYWHERE else in the Bible there was ANY hint of that idea...

Absent that, you're talking pure speculation and probably eisegesis!

Maybe YOU decide that before God that's the way YOU are going to apply Jesus' teaching here, but you are WAY, WAY out of line of you presume to derive a moral mandate against masturbation solely on the basis of this ONE AND ONLY text! (Particularly when there's an OT passage that DOES address masturbation without condemnation)

Any determination of a moral standard of behavior in the Bible MUST reach a much higher benchmark than that!

The primary error of the Pharisees was not that they did not want to follow the biblical way of righteous living, but that, in their zeal too obey God's word, they crafted a boatload of man-made rules and elevated them to the status of God-made results and judged people who didn't abide by them.

That's precisely what Jesus despised about the Pharisees... Don't be a Pharisee!
Its not a huge stretch at all. He said if you look at a woman with lust you are commiting adultery with your heart, so how do you mas.turbate without lustful thoughts in your heart? The very next sentence he says if your eye causes you to sin gouge it out. Just looking at a woman with lust is a sin, obviously pleasuring yourself to thoughts of her would be too. If your hand causes you to sin cut it off. He did not change subjects, its one paragraph of the sermon. If someone is talking to you and says one thing and then immediately says another they are related this is how words work. If you use your right hand to lust for a woman that is not your wife its a sin just as EVEN THINKING ABOUT HER LUSTFULLY IS.

In regards to what the OT says about mastu.rbation, we are not Jews, we are called to rise above the law. Jesus is setting a new standard against adultery and lust here. You cannot deny that he said EVEN LOOKING at a woman with lust is commiting adultery in your heart, something the Jews did not have written in their laws. Imagine you are an OT Jew and you see a big ole booty that turns you on. You can wallow in that lust all you want without breaking the law of the OT as long as you dont commit the actual act of adultery with her. Jesus set a new standard for us because the holy spirit dwells within us and lust grieves him. Mastu.rbation grieves him and if you think hes fine with it I suggest talking to him about it as I use to think like you that its not a sin because the bible doesnt say the word "masturbation" however once I started paying attention to the holy spirit he opened my eyes. The Jews do not have the holy spirit within them, so the law does not cover that.

Furthermore Id argue that comparing a brother in Christ to the Pharisees over a difference in understanding of the gospel to be false judgement, I forgive you for your false judgement of me and pray God does as well. Try to make your point without casting shade, we are both brothers in Christ.

edit: strangely sometimes this forum changes the word "masturbation" to "touching yourself" but not always, weird..

Last edited:
Upvote 0