Is masturbation a sin? Will it send me to hell?

marlovesjesus

Jesus saves<3
Nov 22, 2023
Milano
✟8,403.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello. Ever since I started to take seriously my walk with God I've been wondering if masturbation is a sin or not. I have to be honest, I once was addicted. I used to do it even if I didn't feel the urge, sometimes I couldn't focus on studying, I'd stay awake till late night. I got addicted to inappropriate content too. I was sure it was ok, I used to be controlled by lust. But then God convinced me and I decided to let go and it has been easier than I thought, he gave me so much strength. I remember that I didn't even care about waiting until marriage. He changed my mind about this too and I'm so happy with this choice! Let's go back to masturbation again. I rarely feel the urge now; I still do sometimes tho, and with "sometimes" I mean once a month and a half/two months. I gave up on inappropriate content and anything erotic that I used to read or listen to, thanks to God. The urge that I feel isn't because I thought about something sexual by the way, I thought I had to make it clear since some people say that it's something we shouldn't think of (and I agree). I'm trying my best to live according to God's word. Would it still be a sin? I really don't want God to give up on me and to be disappointed because of this. I'm a 16 year old girl and I obviously can't get married. I tried to look for answers everywhere but it only confused me more because it was a different answer everytime.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
There is very little if anything regarding masturbation in the Word … Some people try to stretch some scripture to show it wrong …but I have yet to see anything worthy of rebuke on masturbation.

However I have seen where God specifically states that > there is no down judgement (condemnation) to those in Christ Jesus.

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [The words cross out are not in the originals… they do appear in Rom 8:4.]

Condemning yourself is not believing God’s word, (because he says there is no down judgment) and it will throw you out of fellowship (harmony) with God…..But there is nothing you can do that will affect your standing as a son/daughter of God…. that is a permanent standing with the spirit of God you have within….you can never lose that….no matter what you do.

If you mess up with anything ….you thank God for forgiveness and move on…. Never condemn yourself..... I am not saying masturbation is a sin …but if you are going to condemn yourself for it ….that is much worse.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. Ever since I started to take seriously my walk with God I've been wondering if masturbation is a sin or not. I have to be honest, I once was addicted. I used to do it even if I didn't feel the urge, sometimes I couldn't focus on studying, I'd stay awake till late night. I got addicted to inappropriate content too. I was sure it was ok, I used to be controlled by lust. But then God convinced me and I decided to let go and it has been easier than I thought, he gave me so much strength. I remember that I didn't even care about waiting until marriage. He changed my mind about this too and I'm so happy with this choice! Let's go back to masturbation again. I rarely feel the urge now; I still do sometimes tho, and with "sometimes" I mean once a month and a half/two months. I gave up on inappropriate content and anything erotic that I used to read or listen to, thanks to God. The urge that I feel isn't because I thought about something sexual by the way, I thought I had to make it clear since some people say that it's something we shouldn't think of (and I agree). I'm trying my best to live according to God's word. Would it still be a sin? I really don't want God to give up on me and to be disappointed because of this. I'm a 16 year old girl and I obviously can't get married. I tried to look for answers everywhere but it only confused me more because it was a different answer everytime.
If you think it is a sin then it is. We are led by our conscience where His Holy Spirit" leans on" when we are in a situation that requires a Holy decision. Blessings.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you think it is a sin then it is. We are led by our conscience where His Holy Spirit" leans on" when we are in a situation that requires a Holy decision. Blessings.
The Bible makes it clear it is. Even if one can touch fantasizing about other objects other than women its still an abomination to God.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This may or may not sound weird but I heard that the urge to touch is a temptation from a spirit of Lust. (Here's the weird part), and it was said that if you give in to the temptation, that is coming into agreement with the spirit of Lust and so he gets the satisfaction from it spiritually somehow.

I admit I dont completely understand how that part works, but it sounds strange enough that there prolly is truth to it. On the plus side, I bet if you resist the devil he will flee from you and then you wont be feeling guilt about it afterward.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Generally, masturbation is accompanied by unclean thoughts, which is an obvious sin. If you're saying you do it without those thoughts, then you need to ask yourself "Am I convicted by this?" As Christians, we have a sensitivity to sin that the world doesn't have (and we didn't have while we were a part of it). You may also feel a distance grow between yourself and God when you act on this urge. So, pray God will show guide you to the truth you seek and find a quiet place/time to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about this, and any matter involving potential sin that you can't find a clear cut answer on.

Also, be wary of wolves in sheep's clothing. Not everyone posting on this forum, or even this thread, are Christians.

Reactions: RonJohnSilver
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So by that logic, if you don't think a certain action is sin, then it isn't a sin?
Logic would tell you that is not what I meant. Scipture is silent on the matter. The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth. Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think Christianity, especially Catholicism, is where the attitude against masturbation comes from. Same with the taboo opposed to sexual desire in general.

I personally believe if God was a good and loving God he wouldn't condemn something that was created in this world that is physically pleasurable and that in the beginning he designed as good anyway.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally believe if God was a good and loving God he wouldn't condemn something that was created in this world that is physically pleasurable and that in the beginning he designed as good anyway.
The question we need to ask ourselves is did God make Adam with sexual organs before he make Eve? If He did then where and how would Adam derive his pleasure from?

Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,421.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A true story to the OP.
My brother in law was divorced for over a year when he had to see a doctor for swollen testicles , the doctor asked him if he masturbates and he said of course not , so the doc says well may I suggest you start because your tubes are blocked and that is causing the swelling.

As we men know , usually nature takes over and helps us out in the form of wet dreams , but it didn't happen in my brother in laws case , so..............

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Generally, masturbation is accompanied by unclean thoughts, which is an obvious sin. If you're saying you do it without those thoughts, then you need to ask yourself "Am I convicted by this?" As Christians, we have a sensitivity to sin that the world doesn't have (and we didn't have while we were a part of it). You may also feel a distance grow between yourself and God when you act on this urge. So, pray God will show guide you to the truth you seek and find a quiet place/time to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about this, and any matter involving potential sin that you can't find a clear cut answer on.

Also, be wary of wolves in sheep's clothing. Not everyone posting on this forum, or even this thread, are Christians.

I heard Derek Prince teach on this and he says at first it is an oppression put upon them from a spirit of Lust. If the do the practice then it invites the spirit of lust to possess them. Then they can almost not say no to the thought of doing it.

And he also said that this spirit of lust can be cast out. He said many people with the same spirit all said the same thing, that the spirit of lust leaves from a persons fingertips when it is cast out. They felt it in their fingertips.

He also said since it is a sin that the spirit of lust is allowed to steal the satisfaction from the person and that's why most people feel guilty after doing that act. They dont get to keep any satisfaction, the evil spirit gets it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may or may not be helpful:
https://www.healthline.com/health/m...ess and do not curse][bless and do not curse]
Let's try it as an embedded link. Apparently ejacu**te is considered a dirty word by the software:

How Often Should a Man Eja**late? And 8 Other Things to Know​

OK, this is silly. Let's try it again just replacing a couple of letters that you'll have to replace before going to the site (the link won't work unless you replace "*" with "U" first):

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember, we are created by God and he said it was good. We are given certain natural appetites, the top two of which are for food and for sex. And this is for obvious reasons. I have little doubt that every "normal" man to ever live has masturbated. And if your single, probably even into later years (maybe even if you're married). It's a God given need your body has. It can be overdone though, just like food. And the fanticization part is a bit tricky, especially if it is about a particular woman.

Reactions: VCR-2000
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So by that logic, if you don't think a certain action is sin, then it isn't a sin?
Yep. This gets into the general topic of the seared conscience. There are married people that think that one night stands are just enhance masturbation.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Logic would tell you that is not what I meant. Scipture is silent on the matter. The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth. Blessings.
That's why I know that even though the bible is silent on the matter, it is a sin to buy a ford rather than a chevy. :D

Upvote 0