Is marriage worth it for women?

ChloeOfTheTriffids

Jun 9, 2013
✟7,638.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I can't really see a reason for getting married at all. I'm smart enough to earn enough money to take of myself when I move out. Married women do more chores and tend to be more unhappy than single women. If you work outside the home you still do more chores. If you earn more than your husband he probably won't like it. Then if you don't work you have men like Pat Robertson who thinks that even if your husband cheats you should be grateful for him supporting you.

So many men view taking care of their own kids as babysitting I find that disgusting yet you get judged for being a stay at home mom or a working mom.

Do you women think marriage was worth it? Do your husbands generally help you?

Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is marriage worth it for women? Answering that question yes or no would be a complete generalization.

Did you list any pros?There are lots of good guys out there and I wouldn't break it down to chores and income.But yes many husbands help their "fare share" with chores or even more when needed.They don't feel one upped or inferior if she earns more..and they don't feel entitled to be appreciated for supporting her regardless that he runs around on her.

One thing is marriage is not a "fairy tale" things don't always happen as you plan.(for men and women)Its more like rolling with the punches .Rewards? Hopefully a deep bond as your next closest kin.

Its not a yes or no answer.Not to mention I think its pretty rare for us (men and women) to feel its O.K to be "alone".It O.K if you are.But most of us want to pair up.

Its like the old age saying.Its better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.But turn that into a question .Is it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all?

Its not a yes or no answer and its depending on who you ask.And on what day you ask them LOL!!!

Upvote 0

JCLover779

Sep 14, 2012
✟15,749.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My marriage is worth it because of the kids. Not sure about after they are grown.

But my husband is not my good friend. He's a great guy and dad. I think if he is your friend, it would be worth it, especially if you meet half-way. Maybe you do more of one thing, but he does more of another.

I can support myself just fine on my own (actually, I'd have more money than I do now --> unique issues). But my kids need their dad, and they will do best in a stable home.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every once in a while on these forums a man whose been through a divorce will post about how marriage isn't worth it for men. I think there are a lot of people in our society who are wary of marriage. Part of the reason is probably that many people grew up in broken homes where their parents divorced. Divorce is easy to come by, and one spouse can divorce the other on a whim, at least legally.

In society in general, it has become socially acceptable to shack up and fornicate and have kids without getting married.

But for Christians, that isn't an option. So if a woman desires to have her own family, to have sex, to have children, and all the benefits of marriage, then if she marries a godly man, I believe it can be worth it. Being gifted to celibacy is a higher calling, but not everyone has that gift. It's either marriage or celibacy. If celibacy is not a option, marriage is certainly worth it.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think in America we've pushed into peoples heads that by 18 you should move out and be independent. So when you become an adult that stuff messes with your head and you think
"Do I really need to marry anyone?".

Technically you don't have to do anything you don't want too. We have free will. But my thing is biblically there are two types of people. Those truly are called to be single and those who are called to be married. But often those called to be married think they can survive alone, but they forget if your mind is focusing on sinful things, its best to get married for your own protection from sin.

This doesn't mean marriage will be perfect or life will. But its safer to be married and in less sin. Granted some might sin more in marriage if they don't understand what marriage is. And as mentioned above the divorce rate is so high that we tend to avoid marriage. Or we go into one with constant suspicion of your spouse like "Will she leave me?" or "What if shes planning to?" or "What if my spouse is lying to me?". So right from the start they doom the marriage by lacking any trust or any faith in God.

Its why so many (as also said above) think its easier to live together unmarried. Its why I had such a hard time marrying an american woman, they (and men) have become so paranoid and twisted on christian morals that I ended up marrying a foreign woman instead. Marrying her I never really had any trust issues, I just felt I could trust her because she was honest and didn't treat me like a suspect from the start.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was like 15, 16, I thought the same thing. A boyfriend/long-term partner so I wouldn't be lonely, but that was it. I didn't need marriage. I liked the idea of it, but I was more then happy doing a Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn (Brad Pit/Angie Jolie for you kids too young to remember those two) thing, and I felt like marriage was of little point. I think the fact that my parents were, at that time, generally very unhappy and together only because of us kind of fueled that. Also, a huge fascination with the Tudor era.

Then I moved out and things changed. I grew up, fell in love, and picked up the skills that you need to weed out the good ones from the bad ones. Then marriage went from being a great idea to a desire.

That's not to say I went about it perfectly... I married a guy that I'd lived with for 4 years beforehand, but the marriage didn't make it 3 years. We both changed and overlooked the warning signs, and had an amicable divorce as opposed to a contentious marriage.

When I started dating again, my now-husband and I didn't want marriage... And again, we lived together quite awhile, had a son, and generally lived (and were treated as) a married couple. This time, though, we went about things, both before and after our marriage, and we have a very strong relationship. I do make more money then my husband... He doesn't care. He does do about 50% (or more) of the chores. He works during the day, I work-from-home, but when he comes home, he's kind of the go-to for the kids and I get a break. We evenly split cooking, we take turns letting eachother sleep in... It's an even partnership. Honestly, our marriage runs like clockwork.

Not every relationship/marriage is a bitter man pounding down on an ambitious woman. There are plenty of men who, out of a combination of mutual love, respect, and just wanting to see you happy who would do the same. It doesn't mean you have to, or even should get married... Only understand that not all men are the oppressive caricature that you've seen/made them out to be.

Upvote 0

ChloeOfTheTriffids

Jun 9, 2013
✟7,638.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Every once in a while on these forums a man whose been through a divorce will post about how marriage isn't worth it for men. I think there are a lot of people in our society who are wary of marriage. Part of the reason is probably that many people grew up in broken homes where their parents divorced. Divorce is easy to come by, and one spouse can divorce the other on a whim, at least legally.

In society in general, it has become socially acceptable to shack up and fornicate and have kids without getting married.

But for Christians, that isn't an option. So if a woman desires to have her own family, to have sex, to have children, and all the benefits of marriage, then if she marries a godly man, I believe it can be worth it. Being gifted to celibacy is a higher calling, but not everyone has that gift. It's either marriage or celibacy. If celibacy is not a option, marriage is certainly worth it.

My parents have not divorced but I don't see them in a happy marriage and I don't know which is worse. Maybe their marriage is dysfunctional so I have a bad view of it. At first I resented my mom more because I thought who would be so stupid to go through something like that? Then I resented my dad because as a human being he should respect my mom like one. Now I know they are both good people but just not good together.

I think celibacy is always an option when you consider the possible alternatives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I can't really see a reason for getting married at all. I'm smart enough to earn enough money to take of myself when I move out. Married women do more chores and tend to be more unhappy than single women. If you work outside the home you still do more chores. If you earn more than your husband he probably won't like it. Then if you don't work you have men like Pat Robertson who thinks that even if your husband cheats you should be grateful for him supporting you.

So many men view taking care of their own kids as babysitting I find that disgusting yet you get judged for being a stay at home mom or a working mom.

Yes, my marriage was worth it, but everyone has to make that decision for him or herself. It was worth it for the support that I have had in my career, and for the children we have, and for the good times and happiness. I wouldn't undo it.

Oh, and yes, my husband takes on his share of housework and childcare. He doesn't "help" me - he is just as responsible for these things as I am as it is also his kids, his home.

Just to add: we help each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It seems as if men are fine until you marry them and I guess the same is true for women. It is hard to know what you are getting into. I however do not want my marriage to be full on drudgery like I experience with my mom.
No no no.

Please don't think that history must repeat itself. Perhaps instead of being so down on your mom, you could find out from her what went wrong? You could use your parents' marriage as something to learn from - to know that is NOT what you want and NOT to repeat.

Truly, despite bad times along the way, I wouldn't have chosen not to marry.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2013
✟7,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you don't think women change when you marry them? Hahaha! Things change people. Marriage. Babies. Money. Lifestyle changes. All part of life. Just have to find somebody who's worth it all. My wife is very different then we first met. She was carefree and fun loving and spontaneous. Years and 3 kids later she is a different person. She's still sweet and caring but not at all spontaneous and sometimes I feel like she's under so much stress that she can't really let loose. I feel guilty sometimes. Like the life that she got for being with me beat away some of that innocence and carefree living. When you have 3 kids though things change. I get why there have to be plans and schedules and I get why she's stressed out. She's earned her stress and God knows I love her more now at this very second then I've ever loved her in my whole life. I've never loved a woman like I love her and I wish I could have given her a life where she could always be young and without a care in the world. She was a young woman then and she's a woman and a mother and a wife which is amazing but a different kind of amazing. Even though she's different she's still darn sexy, gorgeous, smart, funny, my best friend and the love of my life. The life we have is great and the times I see the old her, the sparkle in her eye and that special, silly laugh, it's what colors the great life we already have. Makes us both remember that magic.

Find somebody you're willing to change with and it'll be all good. Like my wife says (as a joke of course) "love isn't never wanting smack your spouse upside the head, love is wanting to still make love to them after you do it."

Reactions: seeingeyes
Upvote 0

JCLover779

Sep 14, 2012
✟15,749.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you talk with your mom? I'm sure she has a lot of wisdom that she would like to pass on to you, and not necessarily to beat up your dad over it. However, she might not feel comfortable doing so, especially if she doesn't want to portray your dad in a bad light. For example, there are things I would like to say to my kids...things I'd like them not to repeat...but to do so would be to let my kids in on how I really feel about my marriage and their dad. Our home is very stable and hardly has any tension. We laugh a lot and are very active together.

If you can't talk with your mom now, keep it in mind for later. And maybe ask her if she sees anything in your future relationships that make her think...think of things that she wishes she had done differently.

My biggesst piece of advice for my teen-aged self would be not to rush things and not to give in. Girls tend to do that, thinking they won't find the right person when they are realy still so young. (I guess guys do, too, as there was a young man here in the same position recently.) Wait until you have a true friendship, someone who you know you cannot live without. Not just because he is A person who fills that lonely spot in your heart, but because he is THE person. There are plenty of great guys out there, but that doesn't mean all of them are the right person for you.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think you are letting statistics which can be twisted in their own way cloud your head.

For example they always ask who does more housework and it ends up being the wives a lot of the time.

Have they ever asked who does more yard work? Who fixes things in the home? Who maintains the cars?

I split dishes with my wife and she normally does the laundry (although right now I'm doing more because she's pregnant and she has very little energy.) I'll pick up and do some vacuuming but she always does the more involved cleaning like mopping, dusting things like that.

But who mows the lawn? Me. Who changes the oil in the cars? Me. Who buys the groceries? Me It's a bit more involved then that but you get the picture. If you where to ask who does more housework, when she's not pregnant, I would agree that my wife probably does. In my experience women in general tend to be a little bit more of clean freaks then men, and so often they probably do more of the housework.

But the problem is a lot of chores in taking care of a family don't fall under the label of "housework". But they don't ask about these chores, they specifically ask about housework. It's for a reason.

And so what you have is a lot of women and perhaps men that respond to those polls who are basically used by the poll to try to make the point that "women do all the work" but in their own lives they think that the work is being done equitably. They don't ask them if they feel that the work is done equitably either, they just ask about housework.

There is more chores to take care of then just the dishes, the cleaning and the laundry etc. But they only ask about the housework because it doesn't make for a good news piece if it says "Studies show men do most of the yard work and the maintence and women do most of the housework." But if you frame it in a way of "These poor women all they do is work and work while their man watches TV." Then that gets people going everything from the men who on the defensive insist that they actually do stuff from the women who want to insist that men never do stuff outside of their job.

And where do you get the idea that a man views taking care of his own children as babysitting?

Really you are a bit young but as you get older the primary thing you want to do is make sure that any prospective husband has the same views on these things as you do.

Will it always be you doing the inside work and him doing the maintaining and yard work? That's acceptable, but I find it inflexible.

My wife and I never formally split things up, we just started doing stuff and it worked out. Which is also nice because it doesn't put us in the mindset of "that's your job" Instead we just do what needs to be doing and one of us ends up doing it. When we do split up the labor it's more on a time by time basis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is more chores to take care of then just the dishes, the cleaning and the laundry etc. But they only ask about the housework because it doesn't make for a good news piece if it says "Studies show men do most of the yard work and the maintence and women do most of the housework." But if you frame it in a way of "These poor women all they do is work and work while their man watches TV." Then that gets people going everything from the men who on the defensive insist that they actually do stuff from the women who want to insist that men never do stuff outside of their job.
However, in the vast majority of homes, yard work and maintenance does not have to be done every day, but washing up, cooking and cleaning does. And so does child care - especially babies. That's an all day and all night deal.

Upvote 0