Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, newbie who is just getting into drawing, and im curious, is manga Christian, at all???
It's no more Christian than the computer you used to write this post with. Asking a question like that is like asking the same for TV, cars, and paper. Dude, all manga is are comic books from Japan. They have a style which is different from Western comics, but that's all they are. It doesn't get any more complicating than that.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True but HS is nudity-equipped. Danger!
Yeah, but let's not forget the heavy use of nudity in Christian artwork throughout Europe. The Sisteen Chapel is just one prominent example, where people go to pray to Christ with naked people painted all over the ceiling. It just depends on what culture you're from and how you're going to look at these things.

Like, being an English-speaker, you might come from a culture with an "Anglo-Saxon" sense of modesty where public bath houses rarely occurred then you might find it hard to view nudity in the same sense that a person who's used to seeing naked people might. Additionally, if you're a boy going through puberty or his teenage years and you're afraid of turning away from Christ, then you probably shouldn't view nudity in that case either because for you it might.

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but let's not forget the heavy use of nudity in Christian artwork throughout Europe. The Sisteen Chapel is just one prominent example, where people go to pray to Christ with naked people painted all over the ceiling. It just depends on what culture you're from and how you're going to look at these things.

Like, being an English-speaker, you might come from a culture with an "Anglo-Saxon" sense of modesty where public bath houses rarely occurred then you might find it hard to view nudity in the same sense that a person who's used to seeing naked people might. Additionally, if you're a boy going through puberty or his teenage years and you're afraid of turning away from Christ, then you probably shouldn't view nudity in that case either because for you it might.

Nudity is a sin for it is a type of adultery that has to be rectified.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2009
✟15,152.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
I guess there are a few out there. Like snow fairy princess, and another one is the sonic and mario series. Try checking out sonic chronicles comic/ manga magazines. They are anime manga and they dont have the blood and etc that you dont like. Also, there is the Archie comics. Go to archie comics online They have a selection of different mangas. I like reading manga with lots of adventure. I like reading the garfield comics, and there are others if I remember any. My cousin likes the inuyasha series, I dont read them, you might not like it because of the blood, so I will let you know if I can think of anything else.
I'm still trying to figure out if zelda would be a good read. I dont know about the triforce. Let me know if you know anything about them.

Sonic Grl (Ya!)

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If you want to have a discussion on the morality of nudity then it would be best to start a new thread.

Also Haruhi had no nudity in it, it had suggestive outfits and implied nudity but no actual nudity.

As for the manga Bible, it's gotten some bad reviews. I've heard it's also a bit anti semnitic.

Upvote 0

Flutters

Jul 5, 2009
England, good ol' land of terrible weather extreme
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
we have to remember Christianity is MORE than just a religion, it's a relationship too ^^ soooo...it's about you. i never truly thought there was such a thing to have the title Christian, other than us human beings...

God's children P:

bless xx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
we have to remember Christianity is MORE than just a religion, it's a relationship too ^^ soooo...it's about you. i never truly thought there was such a thing to have the title Christian, other than us human beings...

God's children P:

bless xx

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE!

If it is just a religion, then it would be something empty but if we are talking about relationships with a Diety, then CHRISTIANITY is the religion. Seriously, someone has to make mangas about Christianity and that will help a lot of spiritually burdened folks.

Upvote 0

Flutters

Jul 5, 2009
England, good ol' land of terrible weather extreme
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
a manga about christianity...or with it as a major theme....jakers ^^ that is SUCH an awesome idea !! i do a load of sketching and manga drawings...and my best friend does too, we're both Christian ( Catholic and Baptist ) ...wev'e been waiting for inspiration to hit us with something to focus on when we do draw/write...how come it's taken until now to think of this....

azure knight, you are nothign short of a genius ahahahahah P:

Upvote 0

Meeker

Just A Girl
Jan 10, 2008
Florida
✟7,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hmm...something might be "themed" Christian, and that might be ok. But I have to sya that in general, manga is not really something I think most Christians would bother with. I've been through this stage of life, and most mangas have lots of violence and sexual depictions, and overall, I don't think it brings you any closer to God. I'm actually in the process of getting rid of all of mine, since I think God wants me too. For the longest time they acted as a huge distraction, from God. There might be mangas that aren't violent or sexual and based more on real life things such as Hikaru no Go (althought a ghost is in it) and Aria, which is light-hearted and nothing really bad happens in it at all.

But having been there, I simply can't think of any good reason to read manga. It's still something I am getting OUT of really, I can't imagine being totally into God, and being totally into manga. Mostly simply because none of it is real, and it just doesn't mean anything in the end.

What I mean is, for instance there are some people who TREASURE they're manga collections. I used to be like that. Now I am getting rid of them. I can't take them with me when I die, and I'm sure once God has me wrenched away from them, he's going to have something WAY better to show me.

But in the end, you should talk to God about it.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

I like manga, but I try to be discerning about which ones I read because there are many immoral influences in the genre. Japanese pop culture can be very perverted. The first series I ever bought, Negima!, was filled with inappropriate content involving girls in middle school.

Manga overall is fun and acceptable, but if you are not discriminating in your tastes you are allowing yourself to be desensitized to sin. Our love of the Lord must always take precedent over our love of manga.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
a manga about christianity...or with it as a major theme....jakers ^^ that is SUCH an awesome idea !! i do a load of sketching and manga drawings...and my best friend does too, we're both Christian ( Catholic and Baptist ) ...wev'e been waiting for inspiration to hit us with something to focus on when we do draw/write...how come it's taken until now to think of this....

azure knight, you are nothign short of a genius ahahahahah P:

Why thank you for the compliment Flutters-san. BTW, I am making a story about a normal Christian man who becomes a Hemakenetic (Blood controlling)hero after the accident that he acquired from a gang attack. This is because of an angel who was sent by God, to stop an evil from rising from the city by protecting 27 humans in his 100000 Years as a semi human being. This angel gave a part of his blood in defense of the comatose human when an evil creature (DEMON) came to kill him but was intercepted by the angel. And there is a very long story that I am making here for them. The Christian human and the angel of God in human form together will fight the fight till God's righteousness wins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

emilylauren

Jan 9, 2009
✟7,936.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All of that stuff is hogwash. Nothing is inherently Christian or non-Christian. Some things are inherently opposed to what we believe in and should not be partaken of based on their contents, but that is for the individual to decide, granted he can and should receive encouragement and rebuke from friends too.

I would have to agree. People may say that "Lord of the Rings" or "Narnia" are "Christian books", but I would disagree... they are fantasy books with Christian themes and ideas. There is something of a difference there. The same would have to be said of anime and magna; some of the themes and idealogies found in these shows may end up being similar to Christian ethics. But, of course its more likely that most themes aren't compatible with Christianity, and it is always important to be discerning and remember not to derive your ethics or morals from fictional books and movies. Simply because the author wrote something doesn't mean it is a complete truth. I'd say that having a grounding in biblical and Christian ethics (meaning continual study of the Bible) would be a must, so you can discern what supports Christian ethics and what doesn't.

One thing that really sticks out to me (probably because I'm very Lutheran :p) is that in many Anime the characters will declare something as "completly unforgivable" (usually if someone attacked a family member/love interest) which I don't see as being compatable with Christianity. While the intent of the anime/manga may actually be advocating for revenge, I tend to choose to simply regard these as character flaws. ;)

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Now something just like extreme bloodshed has been around anime ever since the beginning of the mecha animes. Gundam is one example that one. Then right now, I watched the latest Type Moon anime known as "CANAAN" and it is good when we are dealing with character designs and graphics but look man, we really can't miss the bloodshed there. Look how cruel it is and also the nudity there in EP1. *facepalm*. Good if it is for enjoyment but look on the context. Bloody, unless we have Vampires and demons, then okay. Let the evil creature's blood flow like a river. That is a much, much better to look at, but not with the humans.

EDIT:
Unless we are watching Superbook and the Flyinghouse, then DEFINITELY, WE WIN! Why? God is the HERO in every episode aired.

Upvote 0