Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
no that's cheating on your spouse. JESUS said....
"you have heard it was said to those of old, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." matthew 5:27-28
hopes this helps

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
no that's cheating on your spouse. JESUS said....
"you have heard it was said to those of old, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." matthew 5:27-28
hopes this helps

Thanks you for the Scripture.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that it's absolutely not right. I disagree that it's the same thing as adultery though. The point Jesus was making in that verse and the ones near it was not to equate lust to adultery, He was confronting those who were saying that only their actions and not their attitudes were what matters.

Anyone who says that lust is identical to adultery is, IMO, just looking for more reasons that divorce is "Biblically acceptable".

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
i don't believe in divorce and my hubby and i never ever mentioned the d word in our 22 years of marriage.
to follow CHRIST is a narrow path to follow the world is a wide path full of reasonings instead of confessing your sins.

:amen:

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was honestly just curious if anyone was "hung up" on lust?

It seems to be a topic of significant proportion around here with some.

The issue though is not if it's OK or not but is it the exact same thing as physical adultery especially in terms of providing Biblical grounds for divorce. Some here seem to think so.

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying not to dwell on that chaz345, I'm looking at the relative outrage over lust and divorce. Lust is really the sin of our age and is bordering on unforgivable while divorce seems to have 100,000 loopholes.

Ask if lust is sin and it translates into a simple "yes it is a sin" from the Christian women (which is to be expected) and varying degrees of "yes, but" from men.

Ask if divorce is sin and it translates into a fairly common "yes it usually is" from the Christian men (which is expected) and shrieking and howling of "Well not really! What are you implying you sex addicted pervert!" from a surprising number of women.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lol. Good way to paint your pretend picture of the world. It's just fake, though. Not real. You might be able to sell it to the guys who want to believe your watercolor. I'll stick with what the Bible actually says about it, though.

So then is hating someone identical to murdering them? Jesus makes the same comparison between hate and murder as He does between lust and adultery.

Can't wait to see how you try to explain that the two passages are so different.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm trying not to dwell on that chaz345, I'm looking at the relative outrage over lust and divorce. Lust is really the sin of our age and is bordering on unforgivable while divorce seems to have 100,000 loopholes.

Ask if lust is sin and it translates into a simple "yes it is a sin" from the Christian women (which is to be expected) and varying degrees of "yes, but" from men.

Ask if divorce is sin and it translates into a fairly common "yes it usually is" from the Christian men (which is expected) and shrieking and howling of "Well not really! What are you implying you sex addicted pervert!" from a surprising number of women.

The only "yes but" I see from men on the subject of lust is wanting a definition of lust since so many people seem to want to define it as even noticing, just for an instant, a pretty female who wanders through one's field of view.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No not only is it a sin but it's a tad bit tacky.

Right..just a wee bit ..In fact I wil lsay it..I see the men doign that and I laugh at what fools they look like..of course I feel sorry for them too. ..espceialy an obvious older man leering at a young woman in her teens and 20's..but also just in general..its absurd..its about as appealing as standing next to a rank stranger(or anyone for that matter) whos passing gas..(letting it rip) and picking thier knows..uncivlilized .."tacky" and pathetic..so not ony is it wrong..its "unatractive" and undignified..and foolish in appearance..

Dallas

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Technically, lust is not the sin. James 1 tells us, "when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin." Lust isn't sin. Sin is yielding to lust. Paul writes, "Make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof." The flesh has lusts, and if you let them lie dormant, that is okay, but if you yield to them, then you sin.

"Lust" in KJV English refers to illicit desires, btw, which are not always sexual in nature. Paul wrote, "For I had not know, if the law had not said, Thou shalt not covet."

An interlinear of mine, which I left overseas, translates one of the words in Matthew 5:28 as 'in order to.' He that looks at a woman in order to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart. There is a yielding of the members to sin involved in this, to use the terminology Paul uses in Romans 6.

Hopefully, this forum is not representative of the general population of Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol. Good way to paint your pretend picture of the world. It's just fake, though. Not real. You might be able to sell it to the guys who want to believe your watercolor. I'll stick with what the Bible actually says about it, though.

I don't know who you are replying to, or which post. Do you disagree with the scripture that says that if a man looks at a woman to lust after her, he has committed adultery with her in his heart?

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right..just a wee bit ..In fact I wil lsay it..I see the men doign that and I laugh at what fools they look like..of course I feel sorry for them too. ..espceialy an obvious older man leering at a young woman in her teens and 20's..but also just in general..its absurd..its about as appealing as standing next to a rank stranger(or anyone for that matter) whos passing gas..(letting it rip) and picking thier knows..uncivlilized .."tacky" and pathetic..so not ony is it wrong..its "unatractive" and undignified..and foolish in appearance..

Dallas

Or what about the older women leering at the young guy in his teens or 20's? This is an equal opportunity sin not just relegated to men.

But that really isn't the point. We're talking about one way of physically manifesting an internal sin. There's nothing wrong if the woman looks at the younger man. But if she looks and is fantasizing improper thoughts and feelings then that lusting is the same as what Jesus spoke about.

I've used this site more than once. gotquestions.org It offers decent answers and information about Christian topics and questions. Let's see what they have to say. With this site the copy right thing doesn't apply. You can either link it or copy and paste it as long as you reference the source.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Technically, lust is not the sin. James 1 tells us, "when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin." Lust isn't sin. Sin is yielding to lust. Paul writes, "Make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof." The flesh has lusts, and if you let them lie dormant, that is okay, but if you yield to them, then you sin.

"Lust" in KJV English refers to illicit desires, btw, which are not always sexual in nature. Paul wrote, "For I had not know, if the law had not said, Thou shalt not covet."

An interlinear of mine, which I left overseas, translates one of the words in Matthew 5:28 as 'in order to.' He that looks at a woman in order to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart. There is a yielding of the members to sin involved in this, to use the terminology Paul uses in Romans 6.

Hopefully, this forum is not representative of the general population of Christians.

Well said. I'm surprised it hasn't yet been attacked as excusing or justifying lust.

Upvote 0

RobertMerton

Veteran
Mar 19, 2005
Internet
✟17,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Status