Is King David the descendant of Rahab, the woman in Jericho ?

God bless Joshua

Nov 16, 2017
Sabah
✟19,493.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Are these two RAHAB the same woman ? What evidence ?
Dont they live in separate times ?

Matt 1:5 And Salmon begat Booz of RACHAB; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse. 6 And Jesse begat David the king...

Joshua 2:1 ...And they went, and came into an harlot’s house, named Rahab, and lodged there.
3 And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.
4 And the woman took the two men, and hid them

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess that I should say that she is commonly held to be the same woman.

One reason is that these genealogies tended to leave fore-mothers unnamed unless they had historical significance in their own right.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Further information that might be interesting. This is from a commentary. Link will be below:

b. Tamar…Rahab…Ruth…her who had been the wife of Uriah: This genealogy is noted for the unusual presence of four women. Women were rarely mentioned in ancient genealogies, and the four mentioned here are worthy of special note as examples of God’s grace. They show how God can take unlikely people and use them in great ways.

· Tamar: She sold herself as a prostitute to her father-in-law Judah to bring forth Perez and Zerah (Genesis 38).
· Rahab: She was a Gentile prostitute, for whom God took extraordinary measures to save from both judgment and her lifestyle of prostitution (Joshua 2; 6:22-23).
· Ruth: She was from Moab, a Gentile, and until her conversion out of the covenant of Israel (Ruth 1).
· Her who had been the wife of Uriah: Bathsheba (who is mentioned by implication in Matthew 1:6) was an adulteress, infamous for her sin with David (2 Samuel 11). “Matthew’s peculiar way of referring to her, ‘Uriah’s wife,’ may be an attempt to focus on the fact that Uriah was not an Israelite but a Hittite.” (Carson)
i. These four women have an important place in the genealogy of Jesus to demonstrate that Jesus Christ was not royalty according to human perception in the sense that He did not come from a pure aristocratic background.

ii. These four women have an important place in the genealogy of Jesus to demonstrate that Jesus identifies with sinners in His genealogy, even as He will in His birth, baptism, life, and His death on the cross. “Jesus is heir of a line in which flows the blood of the harlot Rahab, and of the rustic Ruth; he is akin to the fallen and to the lowly, and he will show his love even to the poorest and most obscure.” (Spurgeon)

iii. These four women have an important place in the genealogy of Jesus to show that there is a new place for women under the New Covenant. In both the pagan and the Jewish culture of that day, men often had little regard for women. In that era, some Jewish men prayed every morning thanking God that they were not Gentiles, slaves or women. Despite that, women were regarded more highly among the Jews than they were among the pagans.

iv. “By far the most amazing thing about this pedigree is the names of the women who appear in it.” (Barclay)

v. “Men and women, notorious for their evil character, lie in the direct line of his descent. This was permitted, that He might fully represent our fallen race.” (Meyer)

Link - Study Guide for Matthew 1 by David Guzik

Upvote 0

God bless Joshua

Nov 16, 2017
Sabah
✟19,493.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
b. Tamar…Rahab…Ruth…her who had been the wife of Uriah
You took that conclusion just because the same Rahab name ?
There are millions of people with the same name like David, John, James etc.
Can you give a more historical evidence ?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are these two RAHAB the same woman ? What evidence ?
Ellicott has interesting insight into this:

(5) Rachab.—The Old Testament records are silent as to the marriage of Salmon with the harlot of Jericho. When they were compiled it was probably thought of as a blot rather than a glory; but the fact may have been preserved in the traditions of the house of David. It has been conjectured that Salmon may have been one of the two unnamed spies whose lives were saved by Rahab, when he was doing the work which Caleb had done before him. The mention of Rahab in Jas. 2:25, Heb. 11:31, shows that her fame had risen at the time when St. Matthew wrote. The Talmud legends, curiously enough, reckon eight prophets among her descendants, including Jeremiah and Baruch, but not any of the line of David. Assuming the connection between St. Matthew and St. James, which has been shown in the Introduction to this Gospel to be probable, the mention of Rahab by both takes its place as an interesting coincidence.​

Jewish religious pride back then may well have tried to obscure the Davidic lineage of Rahab, but the genealogical records, now lost, would have been complete.

[edit:] The records presumably are what the early church, knowing full well the implications of including Rahab, Tamar, etc, in its genealogies, drew on.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You took that conclusion just because the same Rahab name ?
There are millions of people with the same name like David, John, James etc.
Can you give a more historical evidence ?

I never placed my opinion. You wanted information, I simply gave you a commentary from someone.

My thoughts on this are that it is the same person, however, I see that scripture does not directly say "Rahab, the harlot of Jericho, married Salmon". I believe it is the same person because the bible makes it a point to speak about Rahab, the harlot of Jericho, explains how she was saved because of her actions in the book of Joshua, Hebrews, and James.

Logically, why in the world would scripture mention a random person out of the blue marrying Salmon? The bible has went out of its way, so to speak, to mention Rahab, the harlot of Jericho.

Another question I would have for you is, how do you know that it's Bathsheba (Urias's wife) that is in Jesus's bloodline? She wasn't directly mentioned. Behind the scenes Urias could have had another wife that the bible doesn't mention. Maybe they were two people of the same name too? See how that works?

The bible doesn't mention just random people out of the blue for matters like that. Not that I've seen in scripture.

Upvote 0