SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Help! I've been kidnapped! Jesus kidnapped me against my will and forced me to believe in Him! I've been taken captive by the Holy Spirit against my will!", said no Christian, EVER!

That's because Calvinism is not true and the Bible is.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
"Help! I've been kidnapped! Jesus kidnapped me against my will and forced me to believe in Him! I've been taken captive by the Holy Spirit against my will!", said no Christian, EVER!

No, but if it is not his natural will, then God forced a change on an unwilling individual. If a person is first unwilling, and then willing without his own input, then he is unwillingly regenerated.

Upvote 0

gmm4j

Jul 22, 2012
SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, but if it is not his natural will, then God forced a change on an unwilling individual. If a person is first unwilling, and then willing without his own input, then he is unwillingly regenerated.

True, true

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You're probably getting annoyed with me, and you won't be the first, but... :D

The statement you just said above, is exactly what the Calvinist position affirms. YES, exactly, they teach that "he is is first unwilling, and then willing without his own input, then he is unwillingly regenerated."

My whole exchange over this began when you posted a very different assertion, namely, that in Calvinism God forces people to spend eternity with him against their will. The whole point of his regenerating them (against their will) is to enable them to live with him according to their will.

Now, as to whether it is still his "natural" will after God has regenerated him, I have never understood from the protestant perspective. They often seem to use "nature" in ways outside the precise language of the councils. Ancient Christianity holds that the will is a faculty proper to nature and not to person. Protestants often speak of those saved by Christ as receiving a "new nature." And I'm not sure how they mean the term. There is only one human nature. The same nature that fell in Adam was healed and divinized in Christ. So I suspect that when they say a man receives a "new nature" they mean a "restored nature." In the Calvinist case, I think that means a "restored nature now capable of willing to believe in God." So I'm guessing (and it's a guess) that when you say "it's not his natural will," they might say "it is his natural will, but it had to be turned back on by God before he was capable of ever coming to Christ. "

Or maybe not. So again the crux of the whole issue boils down to the effect of the fall. Did man entirely lose his ability to choose to return to God, or didn't he? Calvinists and a particular thread of Western thought stretching back to Augustine say yes. The rest of Christianity has always said no. I do not believe that Scripture teaches total depravity. I accept the orthodox understanding of the fall and man's condition thereafter.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Forgive me brother, but this is an entirely vapid statement. It's a categorical error. One is Scripture and the other is an interpretation of Scripture. Such statements don't advance us one iota and just tick people off.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You were unwillingly born. Was that fair?

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Not a fair comparison. First, the comparison is probably better made against being unwillingly conceived. Second, before conception there was no person in which the human nature could be actualized, thus no will exists as no human is yet present. In the "second birth" we have a distinct person with a human nature, and the capacity to will is an essential element of human nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gmm4j

Jul 22, 2012
SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Forgive me brother, but this is an entirely vapid statement. It's a categorical error. One is Scripture and the other is an interpretation of Scripture. Such statements don't advance us one iota and just tick people off.

The statement was a reply to the vapid statement:

Originally Posted by ForHisGlory60 "Help! I've been kidnapped! Jesus kidnapped me against my will and forced me to believe in Him! I've been taken captive by the Holy Spirit against my will!", said no Christian, EVER!

One being Scripture which is always true and interpretations, such as Calvinism, can be untrue.

However, I understand the gist of your comment and concur. My bad. I'm starting to be an Ignatius21 fan also. God bless!

Upvote 0

ForHisGlory60

May 29, 2012
USA
✟311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The statement you just said above, is exactly what the Calvinist position affirms. YES, exactly, they teach that "he is is first unwilling, and then willing without his own input, then he is unwillingly regenerated."

I see what you're trying to say, but I think you missed my point. Many non-Calvinists have made a lot of hubub about free will, and how they believe that man must be willing in order to be saved, that "willing" being sourced in the man. The implication is that it would be some sort of travesty if God were to save a man without the man's permission (for lack of a better term), which totally misses the real point, which is in what way can salvation possibly be viewed as a negative, or bad thing? It's SALVATION for crying out loud! it's being saved from a certain fate of Hell!

Calvinists do not affirm that a man is saved against his will, like you;re trying to say. Calvinism teaches that the unwilling, unregenerate man is regenerated and his will is changed by that regeneration to desire that which he formerly despised and hated, so that the man then willingly believes and is Justified, and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. There is no such thing as "unwillingly saved", not because the man makes it so, but because God makes it so.

My whole exchange over this began when you posted a very different assertion, namely, that in Calvinism God forces people to spend eternity with him against their will. The whole point of his regenerating them (against their will) is to enable them to live with him according to their will.

Now that is closer. The problem is, those who reject Calvinism tend to exalt the free will of man to a position which it does not rightfully belong.

Now, as to whether it is still his "natural" will after God has regenerated him, I have never understood from the protestant perspective. They often seem to use "nature" in ways outside the precise language of the councils. Ancient Christianity holds that the will is a faculty proper to nature and not to person. Protestants often speak of those saved by Christ as receiving a "new nature." And I'm not sure how they mean the term. There is only one human nature. The same nature that fell in Adam was healed and divinized in Christ. So I suspect that when they say a man receives a "new nature" they mean a "restored nature." In the Calvinist case, I think that means a "restored nature now capable of willing to believe in God." So I'm guessing (and it's a guess) that when you say "it's not his natural will," they might say "it is his natural will, but it had to be turned back on by God before he was capable of ever coming to Christ. "

Interesting perspective. I'm not one who believes in the "two natures" idea. "Restored nature" is a good term. I like it, because it more accurately expresses what happens. The idea of the two natures view is an attempt to explain why, even after being saved, we can so easily sin. My view is that, as Paul says, we are new creatures in Christ, but we are still living in the "old man's" body, a physical body still subject to temptation, lusts, and which does not naturally submit to God's ways. That's why Paul said he had to buffet his body, to get it to conform to th way of Christ. Paul speaks of the "inner man" and the "outer man". Perhaps this is where the idea of "dueling natures" came from/

Or maybe not. So again the crux of the whole issue boils down to the effect of the fall. Did man entirely lose his ability to choose to return to God, or didn't he? Calvinists and a particular thread of Western thought stretching back to Augustine say yes. The rest of Christianity has always said no. I do not believe that Scripture teaches total depravity. I accept the orthodox understanding of the fall and man's condition thereafter.

I look around, and it seems to me that men are getting worse. Depravity is increasing. Totally depravity doesn't mean utterly depraved, or completely depraved, in Calvinist theology, it means that the entire being of man has been corrupted beyond man's ability to overcome it. He is not prevented from turning to God, he simply has no desire to do so. The will is based on desire. We have heard it said that man is hard-wired to seek pleasure and avoid pain. That's actually very true, and if you think about why you make the choices you do, they pretty much align with one or both of those things. Sometimes it may be the relative "lesser of two evils", as in the lesser of two painful things, or "what will I get into less trouble for?". There are always the bringing up of altruistic acts, which may include the one doing the act losing his own life, and they are pointed to as "proof" that unregenerate men can do "good" things, but even such acts as these are not pleasing to God if they are done by an unregenerate man, because the acts is still tainted with the stain of sin. We have to be careful that we don't substitute what man thinks is good for what God has made known to b good in His sight. Our idea of "good" is incomplete and selfish, and not in accordance with what God has revealed.

The whole point of my "help me" post was to point out the absurdity of anyone claiming that God saving someone , supposedly against their will, can be construed as a bad thing, undesirable, and out of character for God.

Upvote 0

ForHisGlory60

May 29, 2012
USA
✟311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Not your call to make, friend. I hope you realize that we're ALL going to get our theology adjusted when we meet the Lord face to face, because NONE of us have it all right, and there is no award for anyone being the most right.

I get really tired of all this wrangling and arguing over stuff that may have some intellectual interest, but at the end of the day, is not as important as some want to make it out to be. If we are saved, we should be doing what Jesus said, which is to preach the Gospel, live it, walk in it, and show forth the Love of God. Nowhere in the Bible did Jesus ever send anyone on a crusade against Calvinism, or Arminian ism, or any other "ism". Wasting all our time fighting against other Christians can only be making the devil happy, because that means we're not fighting him, which is what we should be doing. There are no merit badges, or awards for correct doctrine. We are not saved by doctrine. Scripture says our deeds will be judged, not our doctrine. I wish the anti-Calvinists and non-Calvinists would just grow up, and quit all this juvenile, Jr. High posturing and strutting, which amounts to nothing more than a water contest. I mean, seriously, our country is going to Hell in a handbasket, and some of you guys want to "destroy Calvinism" which will do absolutely nothing as far as standing in the gap and conducting spiritual warfare of the kind needed to hold back evil, and raise a standard against it. Priorities, man!

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

I once was a baptist. They use the same terminology. I don't understand it either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others

Birth doesn't carry eternal consequence. It also doesn't involve a change of nature.

God overruling man's will is God programming robots. Last I checked, Steve Jobs was not God. And God doesn't want robots who are programmed to be willing to follow Him. He wants people who choose of their own volition.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Not your call to make, friend. I hope you realize that we're ALL going to get our theology adjusted when we meet the Lord face to face, because NONE of us have it all right, and there is no award for anyone being the most right.

I get really tired of all this wrangling and arguing over stuff that may have some intellectual interest, but at the end of the day, is not as important as some want to make it out to be. If we are saved, we should be doing what Jesus said, which is to preach the Gospel, live it, walk in it, and show forth the Love of God. Nowhere in the Bible did Jesus ever send anyone on a crusade against Calvinism, or Arminian ism, or any other "ism". Wasting all our time fighting against other Christians can only be making the devil happy, because that means we're not fighting him, which is what we should be doing. There are no merit badges, or awards for correct doctrine. We are not saved by doctrine. Scripture says our deeds will be judged, not our doctrine. I wish the anti-Calvinists and non-Calvinists would just grow up, and quit all this juvenile, Jr. High posturing and strutting, which amounts to nothing more than a water contest. I mean, seriously, our country is going to Hell in a handbasket, and some of you guys want to "destroy Calvinism" which will do absolutely nothing as far as standing in the gap and conducting spiritual warfare of the kind needed to hold back evil, and raise a standard against it. Priorities, man!

So the true church failed to deliver the faith for all generations?

Upvote 0

ForHisGlory60

May 29, 2012
USA
✟311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By that you mean your church? You have given absolutely nothing that would be any inducement to investigate it. if you are representing your church (which you are, knowingly or not), your attitude and snarkiness have given it a very negative impression. But then again, I don't think you care, do you? Smugness is not a fruit of the Spirit, last I checked. But then again,. what do I know? I'm just an "evil Calvinist", who must be put in his place.

Upvote 0

ForHisGlory60

May 29, 2012
USA
✟311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And for your education:

snarky

adjective \ˈsnär-kē\

Definition of SNARKY

: crotchety, snappish

: sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner <snarky lyrics>
&#8212; snark·i·ly adverb

Examples of SNARKY

1. <working all day with such snarky jerks is exhausting>
  2. <with champagne as a lubricant, she unleashed an unending series of snarky comments for the duration of the wedding reception>
  3. The writer at No. 10, Fred Mustard Stewart, died last February at 74. His obituary in The Guardian contained this snarky observation: &#8220;Year in, year out, the 600-page mark did not daunt him.&#8221; &#8212;Dwight Garner, New York Times Book Review, 24 Feb. 2008
  4. [+]more

Origin of SNARKY

dialect snark to annoy, perhaps alteration of nark to irritateFirst Known Use: 1906

Related to SNARKY

Synonyms: choleric, crabby, cranky, cross, crotchety, fiery, grouchy, grumpy, irascible, peevish, perverse, pettish, petulant, prickly, quick-tempered, raspy, ratty, short-tempered, snappish, snappy, irritable, snippety, snippy, stuffy, testy, waspish

Upvote 0