Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus is a created being with a separate personality to God, that his existence is separate to God. To support this idea they use various scriptures, one of their favorite verses is as follows. Where talking of Jesus the King James version says:

… the beginning of the creation of God Rev 3:14
This can be confusing because it sounds like Jesus was the first created being. But as we will see this is not the case. The Greek word translated beginning is as follows (from Strongs):

G746
archē
ar-khay'

From G756; (properly abstract) a commencement, or (concrete) chief (in various applications of order, time, place or rank): - beginning, corner, (at the, the) first (estate), magistrate, power, principality, principle, rule.

You will notice the word has various meanings and we will discus some of them. Take

“I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me” - Act 11:5

The word corner in the verse above also uses the word archē, an archē can be a corner. We will discuss why this is relevant later. Also, note

“For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him”: ,Col 1:16

The word archē is used above for ruler or power. Why, well let's discuss some English words, arch and archangel are English words that have their root in archē. But what is an arch, it is similar to a triangular shape, as is a corner in Acts 11:5. Why is ruler a valid expression from the word, well a ruler is the topmost piece under which you find others, rulership is like a triangle too, the top point is the King or supreme ruler, the lower you go in the triangle are princes, governors, then at the bottom the common man. So you see the word in revelation does not need to mean the first creation, it can mean “the ruler of the creation of God”, or the “Origin of the creation of God”, both translations fit perfectly with the view that Jesus is God, he both rules, and is the originator of creation, as Col 1:16 says “For by him were all things created”, and note they were created “for him”, and we know the creation was created for God.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
setst777
setst777
The near and broader context determines the use of "arch'e." "Arch'e," by itself, historically means "source," "origin," "first," "time of origin," "beginning," "the boundaries (corners)." Arch'e historically also can take on the meaning of "preeminent."
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus's title as the first Bourne of all creation is that of a title and place of importance.

Adam is the first created man, but in order of importance Jesus is the most important man, as the Son of God he is both part of the trinity and also man.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Jesus always existed with and as God.
Same as the Holy Spirit.

Besides in Genesis 1:26a, God says "Let us make man in our in our image."

Yes that is exactly what I am arguing, Jesus is indeed of the same spirit as God.

In my travels, I have come across JW's and I know the above scripture is one of the key verses that they use to confuse new believers. Stating the beginning of the creation of God Rev 3:14 means Jesus was the first created being. What I am showing is that the word beginning is a generic greek word that is a triangle, it can mean ruler equally as easily, as origin. Which would make the scripture read:

Jesus was the ruler of the creation of God, or Jesus was the origin of the creation of God. It need not be the beginning.

Essentually - Jesus was the very top point, the originating point, arching over creation.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus's title as the first Bourne of all creation is that of a title and place of importance.

Adam is the first created man, but in order of importance Jesus is the most important man, as the Son of God he is both part of the trinity and also man.

This is true, the word could equally represent His title of "firstborn", the first leading out to many. But the point I am stressing is it does not mean Jesus was the first created being.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes that is exactly what I am arguing, Jesus is indeed of the same spirit as God.

In my travels, I have come across JW's and I know the above scripture is one of the key verses that they use to confuse new believers. Stating the beginning of the creation of God Rev 3:14 means Jesus was the first created being. What I am showing is that the word beginning is a generic greek word that is a triangle, it can mean ruler equally as easily, as origin. Which would make the scripture read:

Jesus was the ruler of the creation of God, or Jesus was the origin of the creation of God. It need not be the beginning.

Essentually - Jesus was the very top point, the originating point, arching over creation.

Another thing is many years ago my eldest. Sister had the JW bible and the wording in John 1:1 read "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was a god."

This puts a totally different spin on who Jesus is. Ask them if they believe Jesus is God and the answer will be interesting...

They are definitely a cult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums