Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God. I know some people, especially those with disabilities, have a hard time understanding the KJV, as I do myself. I find it easier to read simpler versions of the bible. What do you think? Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?
You were told wrong. KJV-onlyism relies on dishonesty to trash the other translations. The KJV is just one good translation, there are better ones. Including the ESV.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God. I know some people, especially those with disabilities, have a hard time understanding the KJV, as I do myself. I find it easier to read simpler versions of the bible. What do you think? Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?

I believe the KJV (Cambridge Edition circa. 1900) is divine and perfect, but that does not mean we cannot read other versions. The 1600's English is pretty difficult sometimes. I find the Modern Translations can help update what the KJV is saying many times. Now, that said, I do strongly dislike the ESV. For one, I never felt right with God's Spirit when looking at that translation in comparing different translations online at Biblehub. Two, the ESV appears to be the popular all the rage translation these days, as well. What is popular is not always good in my view. While they have their flaws, I do like the AMPC, NLT, and GNT; I read these alongside my ole trusty KJV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No, no, no...and no! The best you can do is read a few different translations and compare. Sometimes we find things in one translation the other has missed. I mostly use NASB, which I think is one of the best, easy language, and close to the manuscripts.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You have been told a falsehood.

I have an IQ two standard deviations above the norm, several graduate degrees from a variety of state and private universities, a dozen different English translations of the Bible, 35 years of diligent study and I find the KJV difficult to read. It has nothing to do with disabilities and everything to do with the fact it is 400 year old English not commonly used any more.

It could have something to do with the quality of education today. It’s no more difficult than Shakespeare. It’s written at an eleventh grade reading level, whereas the NIV is at fifth grade level. It really comes down to how well you understand the English language.

• Agree
Reactions: Josheb
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It could have something to do with the quality of education today. It’s no more difficult than Shakespeare. It’s written at an eleventh grade reading level, whereas the NIV is at fifth grade level. It really comes down to how well you understand the English language.
I have slightly different metrics for the various grade levels, but the point is astute and well taken. You may consider my post adjusted accordingly ;).

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The KJV is indeed "not the true word of God". The KJV is a translation, as are all English Bibles. The original "books" of the Bible were in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, and many of the source documents themselves are in disagreement with each other. In other words, there is not now, and never was, a single written "true word of God". The widely-used Bible of Jesus' time was the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Hebrew/Aramaic Bible, which Jesus himself quoted from.

Many people who use the KJV use it because of the beauty of archaic English. Perhaps they associate the emotion they feel with being holy -- holier than thou -- and superior to people who use other translations that have been developed by renowned experts in both the ancient languages and English. IMHO, everyone should use one or more translations that "speak" clearly to them.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Okay, what does Luke 14:10 really mean?

"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when
he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher:
then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat
with thee."

Why are unicorns mentioned eight times in the KJV? Do you really believe that unicorns have ever existed?

Why were the various books of the Bible written in the common languages of the day, a time when there were many uneducated people?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is generally agreed by historians that Jesus and his disciples primarily spoke Aramaic, the common language of Judea in the first century AD, most likely a Galilean dialect distinguishable from that of Jerusalem. source: Wikipedia (emphasis mine)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I challenge you to find ANY fifth grader who can explain, as just one example, Romans 6:19 (NIV):

"I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness."

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

"Not everyone agrees about the minimum grade level of every translation or the formulas used to calculate them. But we offer as general guidelines the following range of USA school grade levels (taken from information provided by the publishers of the various translations wherever possible) and age levels: ... NIV (12th grade) (senior in high school)"

If, as you say, "the KJV is written at an eleventh grade reading level" then the NIV is written for those who are a grade above. :clap:

• Informative
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Didn't you know that Jesus and his disciples only used the KJV?

Seriously, the ESV is a popular version that is used by many Christians, so don't listen to them. The KJV is not even the oldest English translation. Like every other translation, it has its merits and flaws and is influenced by the biases of the people who worked on it. We have greater quantity and quality of manuscripts available to us than they used for the KJV, so feel free to use it if you prefer the Elizabethan English, but don't feel like you have to use it especially if you have trouble understanding it.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

the short answer is no, it’s not wrong to read the ESV. The KJV is a fine translation and in many ways a monument to 17th century scholarship that has served and still serves the church to the day. The KJV is the version I grew up with and when I quote scripture it comes out KJV because that’s what I memorized. Yet there are several modern versions that are more accurate and easier to read than the KJV including but not limited to the ESV, NASB 1977 or 1995 revisions, NKJV, CSB and the older NIV. If you like the ESV, then stick with the ESV. It’s the version I use now and if you run across someone who insists on the KJV only just remember it’s the same argument they use that also had Rome insisting the Latin Vulgate was the only true translation of the Bible.

The best bibles are in tatters. Meaning it’s the one you read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If, as you say, "the KJV is written at an eleventh grade reading level" then the NIV is written for those who are a grade above. :clap:

Actually, the best of the various alternative (to the KJV) translations are at the 9th grade level. Most are not even that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, the best of the various alternative (to the KJV) translations are at the 9th grade level. Most are not even that.
Agreed. I’ve never understood how the grade level argument was calculated but I can say with 100% certainty in my experience that no one I ever met ever ditched the NIV for the KJV because the former was too hard to read. Also recall, at least in the NT the language (koine Greek) is a simplified version of the language. Sans Luke, Acts and Hebrews the Greek is fairly simple.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I challenge you to find ANY fifth grader who can explain, as just one example, Romans 6:19 (NIV):

"I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness."

Which words in that paragraph do you think a fifth grader wouldn't know?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Which words in that paragraph do you think a fifth grader wouldn't know?

Impurity (as it means in the Bible, not chemistry), righteousness, holiness.

By the way, Soldier, you didn't reply to my earlier post. Here it is again...

Okay, what does Luke 14:10 really mean?

"But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when
he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher:
then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat
with thee."

Why are unicorns mentioned eight times in the KJV? Do you really believe that unicorns have ever existed?

Why were the various books of the Bible written in the common languages of the day, a time when there were many uneducated people?

... or are you unable to come up with an answer?

Upvote 0

Berean Tim

Mar 19, 2017
Houston TX
✟146,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love the ESV. It's a very accurate translation. Stay away from the KJV only folks

Upvote 0