Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God. I know some people, especially those with disabilities, have a hard time understanding the KJV, as I do myself. I find it easier to read simpler versions of the bible. What do you think? Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ESV if we do our homework
is an excellent Bible.

Take the time to read about the ones and the time they spent putting together the ESV.

VERY IMPRESSIVE!

M-Bob

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The ESV is a fine version. No version is perfect by any means, including the KJV. Find the version that speaks best to you, that you enjoy reading. Also, compare versions on interesting or challenging passages. The different renderings can be extremely valuable. As you continue, you might want to begin to delve into original language resources. There are many free ones around.

The opinion you heard is, in my view, unfortunate.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?

Opinions vary, but to my understanding it is much better to read a version you can understand than one that you can't. I appreciate your confidence in the KJV. It is an excellent translation, and has served the church well for 400 years. Unfortunately because the English language has changed a lot, it is not easy for most of us to read.

I do find translations based on Greek texts similar to the ones used for the KJV to be more reliable. Some may disagree, but if you have used the KJV in the past, you would be wise to look for similar translations.

In my opinion the ESV is a good translation, but there are a few details missing in it because it is based on different Greek texts. Please keep a KJV around, and read it also when you have a question about the meaning of a particular passage.

For other versions similar to KJV but updated, you might be interested in the NKJV. Also the WEB (World English Bible) is based on very similar Greek texts.

May God bless you as you read His word, whatever translation you read it in.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God. I know some people, especially those with disabilities, have a hard time understanding the KJV, as I do myself. I find it easier to read simpler versions of the bible. What do you think? Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?

The ESV is fine. It's good that you're asking because not just 'any' version of the Bible is necessarily adequate, but there are several that I think which are more than adequate for the job of edification.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; I do love and use the King James which is an accurate and greatly blessed version in English. The ESV is one of the better modern versions, although I would not use it much.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those KJV-only loonies need to go jump in a lake. The OT was originally in Hebrew and some Aramaic and the NT was mainly in Greek. None of it in the KJV.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The King James Only movement asserts that the King James Version of the Bible is superior to all other English translations. Adherents, largely from evangelical, conservative holiness movement , traditional Anglican, and Baptist churches, believe that the KJV is the greatest English translation ever produced, needing no further improvements, and they also believe that all other English translations which were produced after the KJV are corrupt.

These assertions are generally based upon a preference for the Byzantine text-type or the Textus Receptus and a distrust of the Alexandrian text-type or the critical texts of Nestle-Åland, and Westcott-Hort, on which the majority of twentieth- and twenty-first-century translations are based.
King James Only movement - Wikipedia

I am not KJV only although it is usually the one I quote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God.
You have been told a falsehood.
I know some people, especially those with disabilities, have a hard time understanding the KJV, as I do myself. I find it easier to read simpler versions of the bible. What do you think?
I have an IQ two standard deviations above the norm, several graduate degrees from a variety of state and private universities, a dozen different English translations of the Bible, 35 years of diligent study and I find the KJV difficult to read. It has nothing to do with disabilities and everything to do with the fact it is 400 year old English not commonly used any more.
Is the ESV really not the true word of God? Am I sinning if I read any other version other than KJV?
No, you are not sinning if and when reading the KJV. That's utter nonsense and you'd do well to stay away from KJVOnlyists because they are being legalistic.

There are no perfect translations. All you need to observe to understand that is 1 Corinthians 13. The Greek word "agape" is translated as charity. that's the only place the KJV translates agape as charity. it is not even consistent with itself! "Agape" means love; that's how it should be translated and that's how all the other versions translate it.

The ESV is an excellent translation. The translators tried to trike a balance between formal and dynamic translation, with a slight emphasis on the former. They did a good job. I've used many translations. Started with the KJV and the Good news (paraphrase) when I first became a Christian. For years I used the NIV. I currently prefer the NAS because of its literal word-for-word emphasis but I also use other translations including the ESV and the NLT, the latter of which is sitting in a book rack in one of my bathrooms as I venture through another cover to cover reading of the Bible. Sadly, I do not find that translation very good and do not recommend it. The same is true of the CEV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You're online, it's easy enough to go to BibleGateway or similar site and compare versions there. I do that all the time. FWIW my pastor and friend rely on the NKJV. I've quoted from that most but also ESV and even NIV ( new versions of this are not very reliable in our view, older versions are better) in our local tv broadcasts. I keep an NKJV and KJV on my kindle though. I think I have five NKJV copies around here from hard cover to leather, fake leather and kindle. That would read much like your ESV if you want to check it out yet be close to the KJV in sense of authority.

Meanwhile the very best bible for you at any given moment is the one in your hands and reading lol !!!! A lot of people have bibles and never read them. Sad.

Reactions: Josheb
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been told that if I'm reading anything other than the KJV, then I need to stop because it's not the true word of God...What do you think? Is the ESV really not the true word of God?
There are other quality translations besides the KJV, although the KJV is considered by many people to be incomparable for the beauty of its wording.The ESV is thought by many people who, like you, demand correctness in the translation to be one of the best alternatives.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No bible unless it is in the original language is absolutely accurate. The KJV has its linguistic problems in this day and age as the English language has change in nuances and sometimes in meaning, that is why we need modern scholarship to translate for our times. Can you understand fully Chaucer or Shakespeare with ease. Use more than one version and compare. What is important is our response to being our God and mankind the love we have for Him and our fellow travellers along the road of life. We will fall, or trip but God will pick us up through the love of others not through condemnation or self doubt but by us keeping in mind that God loves us no matter what. Some use the KJV as a weapon because they can twist the meanings because people are not aware that some words do not have the same meaning that we have to day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Whoever told you that is unequivocally wrong!! DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO HIM/HER!!

The King James Bible is a 400+ year old translation and, IMHO, not a very good one. Feel free to read whatever translation "speaks" to you.

Many scholars have made it their life's work to accurately translate into English the Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek texts into English. In addition, they have studied thousands of ancient texts in order to understand what the Biblical authors truly meant in the source languages.

Do not be judged by anyone who criticizes you for not reading their pet translation. S/he is nothing more than a latter-day Pharisee.

BTW, the ESV is an excellent translation; enjoy it.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Gideon.

When my wife was a young girl traveling with her family, when they would check into hotels she would always seek out one of their Bibles.
I owe them a lot for
she is now a saint.
M-Bob

6. In 2013, Gideon’s International—a ministry that distributes free Bibles to locations including hotels, motels, hospitals, convalescent homes, medical offices, domestic violence shelters, prisons, and jails—announced it would be transitioning its modern English version from the New King James Version (NKJV) to the ESV. This change will make the ESV one of the most widely distributed versions in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The King James Only movement asserts that the King James Version of the Bible is superior to all other English translations. Adherents, largely from evangelical, conservative holiness movement , traditional Anglican, and Baptist churches, believe that the KJV is the greatest English translation ever produced, needing no further improvements, and they also believe that all other English translations which were produced after the KJV are corrupt.

These assertions are generally based upon a preference for the Byzantine text-type or the Textus Receptus and a distrust of the Alexandrian text-type or the critical texts of Nestle-Åland, and Westcott-Hort, on which the majority of twentieth- and twenty-first-century translations are based.
King James Only movement - Wikipedia

I am not KJV only although it is usually the one I quote.
Not all those assertions apply equally to everyone who uses the KJV. I do have a lot of confidence in the King James, and use it a great deal.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not all those assertions apply equally to everyone who uses the KJV. I do have a lot of confidence in the King James, and use it a great deal.

I rarely use any version other than KJV. I still have my first Bible --- a KJV.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0