Is it wrong that I keep Shabbat and do not "go to church" on Sunday?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That makes sense. What do you make of this?

Matthew 12:1-2
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

It is not against the Torah to eat. They were not collecting it to eat later, they were not wholesale reaping/harvesting, they were not picking it to sell it...it was to sustain life. The Pharisees tried to make a similar case against Him for healing on the Sabbath...which was not unlawful either.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not against the Torah to eat. They were not collecting it to eat later, they were not wholesale reaping/harvesting, they were not picking it to sell it...it was to sustain life. The Pharisees tried to make a similar case against Him for healing on the Sabbath...which was not unlawful either.
If you continue in Matthew chapter twelve, Jesus seems to agree with them and even implicate himself. He doesn't make the claims you are making, he cites other examples of unlawful behavior. And in the case of healing on the Sabbath we read this.

John 5:18
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you continue in Matthew chapter twelve, Jesus seems to agree with them and even implicate himself. He doesn't make the claims you are making, he cites other examples of unlawful behavior. And in the case of healing on the Sabbath we read this.

John 5:18
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

The claims against Him were false. It is not against the Law to eat or to heal nor for The Son of The Almighty to claim what He did...if you agree with the Pharisees, then He can NOT be The Messiah...

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The claims against Him were false. It is not against the Law to eat or to heal nor for The Son of The Almighty to claim what He did...if you agree with the Pharisees, then He can NOT be The Messiah...
I'm not saying I agree with the Pharisees, I am saying he was agreeing with them. Look at his rebuttals. What David and his companions id was "unlawful". The priests "defiled" the Sabbath. In regards to healing he claimed he was "working" on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying I agree with the Pharisees, I am saying he was agreeing with them. Look at his rebuttals. What David and his companions id was "unlawful". The priests "defiled" the Sabbath. In regards to healing he claimed he was "working" on the Sabbath.

I understand what you are saying. He was making a case. Explaining to them each case. So while "technically" it looks like it does, it does not. Remember, what He does is good works, thus it does not break the Sabbath to do good works...

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying. He was making a case. Explaining to them each case. So while "technically" it looks like it does, it does not. Remember, what He does is good works, thus it does not break the Sabbath to do good works...
Well, that's the question.
Pulling a child or an animal out of a well is obviously work. And work of any kind is a violation of the Sabbath. But... proper judgment says that saving a life or rescuing an injured party is MORE important than perfectly observing Sabbath rest. The good works do not nullify the desecration. As Jesus said, the priests desecrate the Sabbath yet are innocent.

Matthew 12:5
Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Pulling a child or an animal out of a well is obviously work. And work of any kind is a violation of the Sabbath. But... proper judgment says that saving a life or rescuing an injured party is MORE important than perfectly observing Sabbath rest. The good works do not nullify the desecration. As Jesus said, the priests desecrate the Sabbath yet are innocent.

Matthew 12:5
Or haven’t you read in the Law that the priests on Sabbath duty in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are innocent?

Absolutely! In fact, in Judaism it is REQUIRED to break the Sabbath to save a life.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums