Is it wrong that I keep Shabbat and do not "go to church" on Sunday?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 14:4-6
(4) Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
(5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
(6) He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Jews go to synagogue on Shabbat.

Christians go to church on Sunday.

Wow, whatever happened to Ephesians 2:14?

"For he is our peace who made the two one, and he destroyed the wall that was standing in the middle."

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, whatever happened to Ephesians 2:14?

"For he is our peace who made the two one, and he destroyed the wall that was standing in the middle."

Paul was writing of unity between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians who worshipped Christ together on the day of the Resurrection.

The Jews in my local synagogue are not in unity with me, nor would they wish to be.

• Winner
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Let's hash this out...

If you want to, by your own freedom of conscience, refrain from work on Saturday then you are free to do so. But you are not free to force other Christians to do the same. There is no command for Christians to keep Shabbat; since Christians are not under the Covenant God established with the Children of Jacob at Mt. Horeb.

There is no command as to what day Christians ought to gather for worship, neither the Sabbath or on the Lord's Day, but since the beginning Christians have gathered at least weekly on the first day of the week, calling this day the Lord's Day. It is an apostolic practice that has endured for the last two thousand years. Of course Christians don't only gather on the first day of the week, but have gathered regularly throughout the week in addition to the Lord's Day.

The gathering together is something we ought to do, since we come together for the express purpose of hearing God's word and celebrating the Sacraments, and these things are essential to our life as Christians. What day we gather isn't as important as that we gather. But, again, apostolic practice has always been that we meet at least once a week on the first day of the week; not by divine commandment, but by received practice since the days of the apostles themselves.

Is it wrong that you keep Shabbat? No. That's between you and your conscience.
Is it wrong that you don't worship with fellow Christians on Sunday? That's between you and the Lord. Are you intentionally avoiding gathering together? If that's the case then you should inspect yourself and address why that is the case.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
At least Bible doesn’t say it is wrong.

The Bible doesn't tell us every thing, we are required to apply the commandments to every aspect of our lives and work things out in the process. The problem I see is - do those who keep Saturday worship the same God as those who keep Sunday or Friday? What identifies the God one worships?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's hash this out...
The problem with Sabbath-keeping (so-called) is not what day you choose to rest and/or worship. The problem is the reason you do so, and what that says about those who have "chosen" (so-called) another day. (typically Sunday)

If your reason for Sabbath-keeping is because the Sabbath is God's holy day set aside for humankind to observe, what does that say about "choosing" any other day? Or more specifically about the person that chooses another day. (the wrong day)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for all the disclaimers and such. This is a very hard subject to discuss. Are Sabbath-keepers really keeping the Sabbath? Or what do they mean by "Sabbath-keeping"? Those who attend church on Sunday don't actually choose a day. The day has already been chosen. Even though we are free to choose. (sort of)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you want to, by your own freedom of conscience, refrain from work on Saturday then you are free to do so. But you are not free to force other Christians to do the same.

Also true of not taking God's name in vain.

If as a Christian you decide of your own free choice and freedom of conscience not to take God's name in vain ... then fine.. .but you cannot "force" other Christians to do as you do.

I think we all knew this is true of pretty much all the first 4 commandments and a few of the last 6 as well.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And why would it be wrong to Keep the Bible Sabbath -- and not attend church on week-day-1??
Nothing wrong, unless you weren't a slave in Egypt.

Deuteronomy 5:15
Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong, unless you weren't a slave in Egypt.

Deuteronomy 5:15
Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Isaiah 56:6-8 says gentiles are specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping.

Ex 20:8-11 comes 40 years before Deut 5 and reminds us that because God is the creator of mankind - mankind is to keep the Sabbath. A detail Christ reminds us of in Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath made for mankind".

No wonder that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
do those who keep Saturday worship the same God as those who keep Sunday or Friday? What identifies the God one worships?

Can you elaborate along these lines?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The problem is the reason you do so, and what that says about those who have "chosen" (so-called) another day. (typically Sunday)

The reason I remember the Shabbat and keep it sanctified is because it is connected with the Creator. I haven't seen enough from Scripture or anywhere else to convince me that He set apart any other weekday

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can you elaborate along these lines?

No, it is not wrong for a person to keep the Sabbath (Holy) and not go to church on Sunday if ones God is the God of Israel. If ones God is the Sun as with Rome, then such a one would keep the Venerable Day of the Sun as does Rome but this day has not been set apart and deemed holy by God so it cannot be kept holy; the Pope cannot transfer holy from Saturday to Sunday; likewise Mohammad cannot transfer holy from Saturday to Friday.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 56:6-8 says gentiles are specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping.

Ex 20:8-11 comes 40 years before Deut 5 and reminds us that because God is the creator of mankind - mankind is to keep the Sabbath. A detail Christ reminds us of in Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath made for mankind".

No wonder that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23
Which side of Deut.5 are we on now?

Are you observing the new moon? (Isaiah 66:23)
I see that "From" is capitalized to hide the new moon requirement.

You are misreading Isaiah 56.
Gentiles are not allowed in the Temple.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I remember the Shabbat and keep it sanctified is because it is connected with the Creator. I haven't seen enough from Scripture or anywhere else to convince me that He set apart any other weekday
There you go. You said it.
What does that say about any other day?

It's hard to get around the divisive nature of this issue.
I say we are free to worship on any day.
Sabbatarians claim there is only one day.
What does that say about any other day?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0