Is it worth it to get home Internet if you already use your phone for Internet?

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟39,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am kind of wondering if it is worth it to sign up for home Internet for computer use if you already use your phone for using the Internet. I might think I would save money if I did not sign up for home Internet. However I am wanting to use a computer to install some really complicated Mobile Device Management software on a phone, so I think I may want to get Internet. The library won’t work for the installation because of peculiarities with the Wi-Fi network.

I already use a bluetooth keyboard with my phone so I’m not sure I really need Internet. If I got Internet, I can imagine I would use a computer to stream worship music on YouTube with my morning coffee. I think I may want both a laptop and a desktop. The desktop could be setup at the dining room table, and the laptop could be used on the deck of my apartment.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am kind of wondering if it is worth it to sign up for home Internet for computer use if you already use your phone for using the Internet. I might think I would save money if I did not sign up for home Internet. However I am wanting to use a computer to install some really complicated Mobile Device Management software on a phone, so I think I may want to get Internet. The library won’t work for the installation because of peculiarities with the Wi-Fi network.

I already use a bluetooth keyboard with my phone so I’m not sure I really need Internet. If I got Internet, I can imagine I would use a computer to stream worship music on YouTube with my morning coffee. I think I may want both a laptop and a desktop. The desktop could be setup at the dining room table, and the laptop could be used on the deck of my apartment.
Well, you can get home internet for a month, and the cancel it

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟928,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Personally I couldn't live without home internet but I do everything with my internet. Gaming, streaming, you name it. I don't have mobile internet but if I did I'd still have home internet because I'd need it for streaming and gaming. I couldn't imagine trying to stream or game on a small cell phone or tablet.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I couldn't live without home internet but I do everything with my internet. Gaming, streaming, you name it. I don't have mobile internet but if I did I'd still have home internet because I'd need it for streaming and gaming. I couldn't imagine trying to stream or game on a small cell phone or tablet.
Agreed. Same here. I use my home internet for chatting on Christian Forums, streaming, and downloading programs for my computer, such as an offline AI.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟928,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Same here. I use my home internet for chatting on Christian Forums, streaming, and downloading programs for my computer, such as an offline AI.

I use a tablet but I mostly use them for browsing the internet and like posting on CF and stuff because its handy being able to post on CF while sitting on the couch watching tv and stuff. What's an offline ai? The only AI I've heard of is chatgpt.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use a tablet but I mostly use them for browsing the internet and like posting on CF and stuff because its handy being able to post on CF while sitting on the couch watching tv and stuff. What's an offline ai? The only AI I've heard of is chatgpt.
Whew, alright, this is gonna a fun explanation. So, an AI such as ChatGPT can be accessed using the internet, connecting your computer to a server hundreds of miles away. This means the calculations are fast, but not as private compared to running AI locally (and offline) on your own system's hardware. Mistral 7B on the other hand is an AI that can be run on your own hardware with a front end graphical user interface such as LLMStudio or Jan, as long as you have 16 GB of RAM, or 8 GB at a bare minimum. ChatGPT has almost a trillion parameters, while Mistral 7B has 7 billion parameters. Even though Mistral 7B is 140x smaller, it can still respond well to most questions.

Explained better by this guy

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,379.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I am not an expert on this but you can use your phone as a hotspot to redistribute the wifi to a desktop or laptop I know this is possible see link below for an apple phone as an example;

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟727,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like It depends on your use .... broadband is typically faster and more reliable.

???

While hotspots can serve as a viable alternative to home internet in some cases, replacing your router with a hotspot will likely compromise the speed and reliability of your connection. This is because hotspot plans rely on cellular data, while home internet relies on Wi-Fi data.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,485,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not an expert on this but you can use your phone as a hotspot to redistribute the wifi to a desktop or laptop I know this is possible see link below for an apple phone as an example;
I commonly do this away from home with my laptop (and car). I never, ever use public WiFi.

At home, I use my desktop for some pretty data-heavy uses, so I use a Verizon home Internet 5G device that is really just a very robust version of a cellular phone receiver. It's just a cellular hotspot with no physical connection to a centralized provider. It works out $30 a month cheaper than Verizon's own fiber in our area and is quite fast enough for all our home uses, including smart television streaming.

But if we were simply browsing and chatting on the web, my mobile phone's hotspot capabilities into a laptop would be sufficient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟928,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Whew, alright, this is gonna a fun explanation. So, an AI such as ChatGPT can be accessed using the internet, connecting your computer to a server hundreds of miles away. This means the calculations are fast, but not as private compared to running AI locally (and offline) on your own system's hardware. Mistral 7B on the other hand is an AI that can be run on your own hardware with a front end graphical user interface such as LLMStudio or Jan, as long as you have 16 GB of RAM, or 8 GB at a bare minimum. ChatGPT has almost a trillion parameters, while Mistral 7B has 7 billion parameters. Even though Mistral 7B is 140x smaller, it can still respond well to most questions.

Explained better by this guy

I'm a tech nerd so I understood what you had to say. That's really interesting.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It depends on your plan. Unlimited doesn't necessarily mean the same applies to the hotspot. It uses data and quickly adds up. You need to call them and ask about the policy and it's important you do it by phone. That's your leverage if the bill changes. They can pull the call.

Tell them what you want to do and ask if your plan would cover the hotspot completely. If it doesn't find out how much data you're given in GBs. If you opt for home internet shop around. AT&T usually has a deal that includes cash back for signing up via prepaid card. It ranges from $150-$360 depending on the promotion. You have to sign up online and enter the codes (from the deal). You'll get an email a few days later confirming the bonus and a link to claim it. The card arrives in a week.

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟117,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a tech nerd so I understood what you had to say. That's really interesting.
Hey, thanks for understanding. Yes, it is really interesting. The Mistral 7B AI works well for analyzing Bible verses and also asking it questions. It can also work well for writing emails. Back in 2023, I thought AI would not be able to be run locally, but in March 2024, I found out that it is possible. :) If I had a more powerful computer (32 GB of RAM), I'd be willing to run Mistral 8x7B, but RAM is expensive.

Upvote 0