Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I`m new here, I was just wondering, some years ago I saw a movie about jesus and he was making chairs and tables from wood, while his mother cooked him something to eat, the after the work he washed his hands for her, but the thing that caught me is that, if jesus really was as kind as possible as believers say, why would he make chairs to sit on, isn`t it kinder to walk around instead for people, chairs are kinda a modern society thing for lazy people ...

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I`m new here, I was just wondering, some years ago I saw a movie about jesus and he was making chairs and tables from wood, while his mother cooked him something to eat, the after the work he washed his hands for her, but the thing that caught me is that, if jesus really was as kind as possible as believers say, why would he make chairs to sit on, isn`t it kinder to walk around instead for people, chairs are kinda a modern society thing for lazy people ...
That would be The Passion of the Christ. That scene was not a Biblical account. And if you remember Mary in the scene looked at the chairs and high table as something she had not seen. Jesus explains it is for a rich man. The reason she was puzzled is in their culture everyone sat down to eat at a low table and lounged after eating.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Apatosaur

Dec 16, 2019
Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That would be The Passion of the Christ. That scene was not a Biblical account. And if you remember Mary in the scene looked at the chairs and high table as something she had not seen. Jesus explains it is for a rich man. The reason she was puzzled is in their culture everyone sat down to eat at a low table and lounged after eating.

Yes, passion of the christ was it, ah, I sort of got the idea that jesus himself invented the table and the Chairs, but like you say, it`s just a movie

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Is it even universally agreed Jesus was a carpenter? I've heard hypotheses that, while he might've been some artisan, the carpenter translation is iffy, since the Greek word used in the verse in Mark is more generally a builder. PLus, Jesus seems to use more metaphors related to stonemasonry, not carpentry.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if jesus really was as kind as possible as believers say, why would he make chairs to sit on, isn`t it kinder to walk around instead for people, chairs are kinda a modern society thing for lazy people ...
Before Jesus started His ministry, He was a carpenter by trade, just like His step-father, Joseph.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF.

Be very careful accepting movie portrayals as historical or true facts regarding Jesus or Christianity. They get more wrong than they do right sometimes.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Normal people sit down on a chair at a table to eat.

Yes, Jesus was a carpenter.
Mark 6:3
3 Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offence at him.

Movies are just movies, made up by people. You need to read the Bible for a correct view of Jesus.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Apatosaur

Dec 16, 2019
Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Before Jesus started His ministry, He was a carpenter by trade, just like His step-father, Joseph.

doesn`t that prove that jesus wasn`t as kind humanly possible since a kinder person would be supported my his faimily, alteasts when he was young like in our society?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
doesn`t that prove that jesus wasn`t as kind humanly possible since a kinder person would be supported my his faimily, alteasts when he was young like in our society?

You see being a carpenter as being unkind?

He was supported by his family when he was young.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apatosaur

Dec 16, 2019
Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You see being a carpenter as being unkind?

He was supported by his family when he was young.

no, not exactly, but in our society also people leave their family to do something of interest, a kinder person would stay at home

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Just pointed out that that single verse is not necessarily translated accurately, because it doesn't mean carpenter, it's broader, artisan/builder.

Also, not sure it's accurate that Joseph was his step father, some perspectives argue Joseph wasn't married to Mary, he was assigned to protect her (especially if we grant he was a widower and thus him marrying a girl half his age or more would not only be inappropriate, but not necessary if she's meant to be virginal. Maybe he would take care of her, but marriage might be a stretch to an extent, even if marriage was as much political as religious anyway, because women were still 2nd class citizens)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how it is proof one way or another. Jesus having a day job before the start of His ministry (@33) cannot be construed as unkindness. Depending on when Joseph died, He could have been the sole breadwinner for His family until His younger half-brothers were able to carry that load.

Are you aware of His real job?

(I think that you are trying to assess their situation using contemporary social standards.)

Upvote 0

Apatosaur

Dec 16, 2019
Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how it is proof one way or another. Jesus having a day job before the start of His ministry (@33) cannot be construed as unkindness. Depending on when Joseph died, He could have been the sole breadwinner for His family until His younger half-brothers were able to carry that load.

Are you aware of His real job?

(I think that you are trying to assess their situation using contemporary social standards.)

ah, yes

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, not exactly, but in our society also people leave their family to do something of interest, a kinder person would stay at home

I am very confused by your posts. I see being a skilled carpenter being of great benefit to his family. He could make his mother a sturdy chair or a bed or a cradle.

He was an adult when he started his ministry, probably long after all the other adult children had left. He was also a man and would have been expected to leave and make his own life as an adult. he would have made sure his mother was provided for.

muichimotsu Yes, Joseph was his stepfather and yes they were married. I could find you more verses but you are sidetracking this thread.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apatosaur

Dec 16, 2019
Kolbu
✟7,751.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am very confused by your posts. I see being a skilled carpenter being of great benefit to his family. He could make his mother a sturdy chair or a bed or a cradle.

He was an adult when he started his ministry, probably long after all the other adult children had left. He was also a man and would have been expected to leave and make his own life as an adult. he would have made sure his mother was provided for.

muichimotsu Yes, Joseph was his stepfather and yes they were married. I could find you more verses but you are sidetracking this thread.

sorry about that, it`s just that in our society people people leave their families to do something of interest, I just imagen Jesus being kinder and stay with his familiy, but I understand it was different times also and different settings

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, not sure it's accurate that Joseph was his step father, some perspectives argue Joseph wasn't married to Mary, he was assigned to protect her (especially if we grant he was a widower and thus him marrying a girl half his age or more would not only be inappropriate, but not necessary if she's meant to be virginal...
If that were true, there would be no point in giving Joseph's genealogy [Luke 3:23-38].

Besides Mark 6:3 (given earlier), there is also,

"While [Jesus] was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, 'Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.'” Matthew 12:46-47 NKJV

His brothers were Mary's children with Joseph.
...Maybe he would take care of her, but marriage might be a stretch to an extent, even if marriage was as much political as religious anyway, because women were still 2nd class citizens)
This is the "Exploring Christianity" sub-forum. Are you here to do that, or to frame the Bible as misogynistic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If that were true, there would be no point in giving Joseph's genealogy [Luke 3:23-38].

There is also,

"While [Jesus] was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, 'Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.'” Matthew 12:46-47 NKJV

His brothers were Mary's children with Joseph.

This is the "Exploring Christianity" sub-forum. Are you here to do that, or to frame the Bible as misogynistic?

You do realize there are 2 genealogies (Matthew and Luke) and they contradict in places, not to mention would, at best if we're being generous, be 2 different genealogies relative to Mary or Joseph.

Also, Jesus being referred to as Joseph's son was cultural norms, it doesn't mean he was his step father except after the fact in the interpretation of Jesus' true father being a god and such. This isn't like Heracles with Zeus and Amphytrion, one was his step father and it was fully acknowledged, Joseph, for all intents and purposes was his father, because people weren't necessarily buying the virgin birth thing

We don't have reason to necessarily believe that's the case in the narrative: Jesus' brothers could've been through marriage from Joseph's family he retained after his previous wife died, (we don't know how old they were, far as I'm aware) both models technically work and don't require much extra assumptions, since it's not universally agreed that Mary and Joseph consummated their relationship at all, because of the idea that she would remain perpetually a virgin (admittedly more a Catholic thing).

Can't it be both? What if you explore and discover Christianity as being rooted at least in a misogynistic culture even if it might be interpreted more positively to support women in some respects (which are few and far between, like not stoning a woman caught in adultery)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sorry about that, it`s just that in our society people people leave their families to do something of interest, I just imagen Jesus being kinder and stay with his familiy, but I understand it was different times also and different settings

Well, there are different types of families. I personally am a believer in extended families but other people feel grown children do best when they leave home early. For most people, I don't think it is a matter of being kind over unkind. Some toxic families could make either situation bad. keeping children at home to work like slaves or pushing them out without support to live on the streets.

As for Jesus and his family, we only have some Bible verses and what we know of the culture at that time.
5 Interesting Facts About Jesus' Earthly Family | Jesus Film Project
There are some verses in there.

Remember the purpose of Jesus coming to earth was to teach people about the Kingdom of God and die for our sins, not stay at home. He had to go and preach even if staying at home might have been much nicer. 31 Reasons Why Christ Came (with Bible Verses)

His life away from home was one of hardship.
Luke: 9-58
Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

His home town did not welcome his message
Matthew 13:58
58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith

You do realize there are 2 genealogies (Matthew and Luke) and they contradict in places, not to mention would, at best if we're being generous, be 2 different genealogies relative to Mary or Joseph.

I think you should make your own thread about all these matters and not hijack someone else's.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it even universally agreed Jesus was a carpenter? I've heard hypotheses that, while he might've been some artisan, the carpenter translation is iffy, since the Greek word used in the verse in Mark is more generally a builder. PLus, Jesus seems to use more metaphors related to stonemasonry, not carpentry.
Yes some scholars have considered Joseph was a mason. Not the secret club have you but like actually hewing stone for building.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0