Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One way I personally do not wish to be treated is: Being thrown abstract/general advice/commands/rules at when I try to solve a personal issue. Ymmv

You are fully in control of your responses to this very personal issue
here on the world wide web.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. It is saying "Heaven is too good for you. You deserve hell."

But that's not what I'm saying at all. Also we all deserve Hell, do we not? It is the grace of God that saves us from our sinfulness. That's implying that I think I'm better than him, which I don't.

My boyfriend was agnostic in the past and so when I introduced my beliefs to him he was already open to possibilities. He questioned a bit, naturally, but now he is a Christian. I don't know about his brother though, if he's atheist or agnostic or even Christian.

My belief is that if I'm quite close friends with an agnostic person then talking to them about Christianity could prove to help them find their faith because they're clearly open to the idea of possibilities but talking to an atheist or person of another religion could prove to be futile as their beliefs tend to already be set.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My belief is that if I'm quite close friends with an agnostic person then talking to them about Christianity could prove to help them find their faith because they're clearly open to the idea of possibilities but talking to an atheist or person of another religion could prove to be futile as their beliefs tend to already be set.
They are headed for a cliff that they are unaware of. To just let them go without a warning is tantamount to wishing them to perish. If they chose to ignore the warning that is their deal. But to not warn them at all ....

As to the atheists, I have found that praying for God to reveal Himself to them often has surprising results. That and showing them the Spirit per 1 Cor 2:

1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.​

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They are headed for a cliff that they are unaware of.

I don't think the problem is that he is unaware. I'm sure he's aware of the fundamental basics of Christianity, it's quite common knowledge that Christianity= Heaven & Hell. Whether or not he chooses to believe it is the problem...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One way I personally do not wish to be treated is: Being thrown abstract/general advice/commands/rules at when I try to solve a personal issue. Ymmv

Then I think if you were to follow Jesus advice you ought not do that to others. See its really quite easy. Followers of Jesus aren't told to do unto others as those others want to have you do unto them but to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So, just for one instance, if an addict wants you to give them money for drugs you don't have to do that if you don't want to be given money for drugs. That will cause conflict sometimes because others may have a different opinion about how you ought to treat them then your opinion of how you would want to be treated if you were in their situation. This does point out something I consider to be seriously flawed in the attitude of many Christians. Some seem to think they ought to be converting people. If a Christian does not want people of other religions or atheists trying to convert them to either another religion or to an atheistic world view that Christian ought not be trying to convert people of other religions or atheists. Jesus clearly laid out the way to approach the situation. All Christians need do is proclaim the Gospel and move on. Tell their own story don't be pushy or even go one iota further than that. I am a Christian, if you are curious about it , here is what I believe( Gospel) , if you want to know more about it ask me, if not have a nice day. For the vast majority of people and certainly myself I think it is fine being treated as a person that might be interested in your story (but also might not) and would be willing to listen, at least once, to what you have to say as long as you don't make yourself a nuisance and become pushy about it or accost me in the street to tell me rather than doing so in a the course of a normal conversation. I pretty much feel the same way about political philosophies. Being approached on politics by a stranger on the street is not the way I want to be treated so I won't treat others that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hannah2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
They are headed for a cliff that they are unaware of. To just let them go without a warning is tantamount to wishing them to perish. If they chose to ignore the warning that is their deal. But to not warn them at all ....
That would make some sense if the typical atheist in the Western World hadn´t heard this warning of the invisible "cliff" a thousand times before.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would make some sense if the typical atheist in the Western World hadn´t heard this warning of the invisible "cliff" a thousand times before.
in which case that person has been warned of the coming destruction.

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, then it seems you have found your solution.

But I can't be certain I'll ever have that conversation with him. I'd like to say I can but I can't know for sure. I'm worried that if I don't do this God might send me to Hell but at the same time I don't feel in a position to do it either and I feel trapped.

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
in which case that person has been warned of the coming destruction.

Atheism tends to have the idea that there is no Heaven or Hell so how can we warn them of a cliff they don't believe in. They might take no notice, as you would if a Muslim tried to tell you about how to get to their heaven.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
But I can't be certain I'll ever have that conversation with him. I'd like to say I can but I can't know for sure.
So, at this point it´s a "not yet", with an unpredictable future. Is that a problem for you?
I'm worried that if I don't do this God might send me to Hell but at the same time I don't feel in a position to do it either and I feel trapped.
What makes you think that God might send you to hell for it?
And, assuming for a moment that God indeed demands you to share your beliefs in order to convert others, wouldn´t waiting for a moment when there´s a chance to be effective in doing so (instead of doing it at a point where there´s little chance for it to have the desired impact) be completely in line with God´s demands?

• Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone in the civilized world has already heard about Jesus. The ones who choose not to believe in Him don't do so out of ignorance of the message. Just trying to evangelize to them usually doesn't work. So I have found that the best way is to act kind and gracious. If they ask how you can be so happy and pleasant, you rightfully attribute it to Christ. This is more effective in making them want to convert. Just hearing about Jesus isn't often enough, people need to see how He can influence people's lives.

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, at this point it´s a "not yet", with an unpredictable future. Is that a problem for you?

I suppose not... It's just something I'll probably worry about whether or not I've done it if I forget about it for a bit then remember it in say 10 years time. I could be back in the exact same situation as today.
(By the way thank you for all your replies today!)

What makes you think that God might send you to hell for it?

Because isn't selfishness a sin and not trying to convert him selfish?

Yeahh I worry a lot.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I suppose not... It's just something I'll probably worry about whether or not I've done it if I forget about it for a bit then remember it in say 10 years time. I could be back in the exact same situation as today.
Well, in my experience (which may not apply to you and/or your situation/environment) once I get to know people better, exchanging our understandings of the world will happen sooner or later all by itself.

Because isn't selfishness a sin and not trying to convert him selfish?
I guess I am not really understanding why you´d consider it selfish. In any case, trying to convert him in order to get the reward of Heaven for yourself could be considered selfish, too, couldn´t it?

Yeahh I worry a lot.
I have been wondering this: If it´s true that God demands you to try to convert other people, do you think He wants that out of principle (just for the heck of you doing it), or do you think He demands that because He wants there to be as many believers as possible?
(Because in the latter case, it seems that the challenge would be to get more effective at it, rather than using every - no matter how pointless - opportunity, even on the risk of alienating persons from you and your beliefs).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So issuing just another warning would be pointless and probably even counterproductive to your goals.
Perhaps. One must listen to the Spirit to actually have the right strategy after that point.

Upvote 0