West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it selfish to not introduce others to Christ?
Out of mine and my boyfriend's immediate families I think only us and my brother are Christians (but who knows what our parents believe so they could be too). My boyfriend has an older brother but I don't think they're as close as my brother and I, so would it be selfish not to introduce him to Christianity?
He knows what Christianity is, I'm sure he knows the basics of it and so is free to choose as he wishes but if I don't say anything to him about it, is it selfish? It's not like I want him to go to hell but I also don't want to impose my beliefs on him and ruin any relationship we might have when he could potentially be my brother in law.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Out of mine and my boyfriend's immediate families I think only us and my brother are Christians (but who knows what our parents believe so they could be too). My boyfriend has an older brother but I don't think they're as close as my brother and I, so would it be selfish not to introduce him to Christianity?
He knows what Christianity is, I'm sure he knows the basics of it and so is free to choose as he wishes but if I don't say anything to him about it, is it selfish? It's not like I want him to go to hell but I also don't want to impose my beliefs on him and ruin any relationship we might have when he could potentially be my brother in law.
Maybe you can ask him if he´s interested in learning about your religious beliefs?

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think it's in his best interests, I mean yes being Christian should be in everyone's best interests but some people are really anti-religion. Now I don't know where he stands on the matter but I just remembered he's bisexual so he might not take too kindly to it.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I don't think it's in his best interests, I mean yes being Christian should be in everyone's best interests but some people are really anti-religion. Now I don't know where he stands on the matter but I just remembered he's bisexual so he might not take too kindly to it.
The most important part in effective personal communication is listening to and getting to know the other person.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The most important part in effective personal communication is listening to and getting to know the other person.

This is the most effective witness:
In everything then,
do unto others
as you would have them do unto you.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Religion 101

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I know it is a sin to be selfish so is it selfish to save myself if he hasn't been saved?
Or is it selfish to try and convert someone who isn't interested? I don't know what to do. I don't want to be selfish.
I am afraid that no matter what you do can be considered "selfish" - because in some way it always also serves your own interests ("I want", "I don´t want").
So to me it seems like - if you are determined to start your considerations with the question "Is this selfish?" - you need a more refined concept of "selfishness" first.
Personally, I don´t think we can act "selflessly". There is nothing wrong with considering our own interests - if I were to define "selfish" in a meaningful way, I guess I would say something like:
"Being unaware and/or silent about the part where my interest in the well-being of another person also serves my interests."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
This is the most effective witness:
In everything then,
do unto others
as you would have them do unto you.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Religion 101
I suspect the greatest problem with this is:
In order to follow that advice, we first have to be aware of what we really would others have do unto ourselves.
The fear of being "selfish" tends to prevent us from contemplating on that question exhaustively.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect the greatest problem with this is:
In order to follow that advice, we first have to be aware of what we really would others have do unto ourselves. The fear of being "selfish" tends to prevent us from contemplating on that question exhaustively.

I'm strongly aware of the lack of practice. I'm sure people have scores of excuses.
Still....For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it is a sin to be selfish so is it selfish to save myself if he hasn't been saved?
Or is it selfish to try and convert someone who isn't interested? I don't know what to do. I don't want to be selfish.

Treat other people just as you would wish them to treat you.

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We are taught that we shouldn't sin but we do because it's natural to humans because of the original sin and sin is what separates us from God, however Jesus' sacrifice cleanses us of our sins but we still must avoid sins even though we have been cleansed from them. I want to avoid sins, I want to be a good person, but it's so frustrating when I don't. We are told we can't live sin free but we should aim to avoid sins and I don't know what to do...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I also don't want to impose my beliefs on him
How is asking a question about what someone believes and talking about belief imposing ones belief on someone?
Ask them what and importantly why they believe what they do.
Be prepared to explain why what you believe is reasonable and rational.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Mark 16:15
It's command from Christ to proclaim gospel to everybody , if you are scared because it's your family , you can ask pastor in your church to try to talk to your parents and invite them to church after .

Upvote 0

Hannah2000

Jul 29, 2017
West Midlands
✟10,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ask them what and importantly why they believe what they do.

I really don't feel like I'm in a position to do that though because it's my boyfriend's brother and we're not close friends.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I spoke to a priest and he said that preaching could ruin the relationship and that everyone's views are their own.
Sounds like a good answer.
What I am wondering is, though: Isn´t there a way of communicating your beliefs in a way that isn´t preaching? E.g. talking about what your beliefs mean to you, how and why they are important to you, what they help you with etc.?

Upvote 0