God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
To add to all the verses and arguments already made, unlike in English, the words that were used by the people back in the day implied meeting together.

Synagogue literally means 'a place of assembly' Online Etymology Dictionary

Ekklesia (the Greek for church) also means 'a coming together of people' Greek Lexicon

Alongside the rest of what people said there is an implied need to meet with us through the words used.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My church service is hardly composed of someone "reading the Bible" to me. It's humble confession, absolution, worship, partaking in the body and blood of Christ, reading the OT, epistle, gospel, fellowship with believers, and listening to a solid law and gospel sermon.

I am not schooled in Greek and Hebrew so I can't properly interpret the scriptures on my own. The holy spirit assists, but I'm still human.

Ephesians 4 said:
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,[c] 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,[d] to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

God appointed pastors for a reason.

For baptism - yes it's necessary. No it's not absolutely necessary. It's a command. If you have the opportunity and don't take it, what does that say of your faith, for baptism allows God to work his grace.

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

I've always said that if you want to just shoot freethrows in your driveway that's fine. But if you want to actually play basketball you need 9 other guys to play with. In much the same way, you can love Jesus and study the Bible all you want alone in your living room, but if you want to actually be a christian you need to join a community called church to properly get on with it.

You don't need to join anything to be a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ not a follower of a community!!!

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Corinthians 12:21 said:
The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you."

We don't follow a community. We participate as a community. We all need each other.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For some clarity on this, it may help to first define "church":

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” -Matt 18:20
That's church. The truth is, every Christian is reliant on the church. It was the church that brought us the scriptures, that preserved the Good Testimony even at the cost of blood. Without that faithful testimony handed down to us, none would have heard the truth to begin with.

But we're not to be legalistic about attending a church. When Paul discussed fruitless Christians with Timothy, he didn't advise forcing himself to fellowship with them, but rather:

pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. -2Tim 2:22

Indeed, after Paul himself was saved, he went off to Arabia for three years, where the Lord downloaded the Gospel of grace to him.

If you're exiled on some gulag, or have some other good reason not to fellowship, you do the best you can with the Bible and whatever else might be at you disposal. And that's fine, because the Lord is always sufficient. But if you can assemble with those who call on the Lord with a pure heart, even if it be ad hoc and informal, you do well indeed. Our brothers can encourage when we're down, provide perspective for our blind spots, and admonish us when we're wrong. There is a special blessing that goes along with assembling in unity in the Name. That is the place where the Lord's joy becomes complete (ps 133.1; 2Jn 1.12; php 2.2). And the joy of the Lord still remains our strength (Neh 8.10).

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The only "person" we need is God!

Not if you believe the Bible to be the Word of God...

Ephesians 4 said:
11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Verse 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

some of this I already quoted earlier.

Upvote 0

JackB03

Mar 7, 2009
Rockwall, Tx
✟7,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Church has been an issue with me as well. And actually seems to be getting worse. Baptist say Church Of Christ is wrong. Presby says Baptist are wrong, etc etc.... Now churches seem to be wanting everyone for themselves. Which now baptists are saying the other baptist church down the street is wrong.

Its hard for me to trust churches now because people are getting more greedy. In the bible it says:

"Romans 14:19
So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up."

So I think church is essential. But church doesnt mean a building, with a bunch of people and listen to a preacher. A church could mean your living room, watching a christian channel with a friend, and learning about God. You can actually look at this forum as being a church. Everyone on here helps each other out.

I hope you continue getting closer to God and sharing his name with others.

God Bless,
Jack

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You yourself said "The only "person" we need is God!"

I never said the church was a building....however I want to make sure the gospel is properly preached and sacraments rightly administered so I fellowship with the church at a church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.