Is it really glorifying Him, or is something else going on here?

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Oh, I never struggle with temptation. I give it to the Lord, and He just takes it right away from me."

"I never get depressed. I'm happy all the time, because I find my joy in the Lord."

"I'm never worried or anxious. With the Lord God Almighty on my side, I have nothing to fear."

"I've never faced that problem. You see, I've been a Christian and lived for Jesus Christ since I was a small child, and He's been guiding my steps all along."
-----
OK, if I'm saying those things, on the surface, it LOOKS as if I'm glorifying God, praising His name, witnessing and testifying for Him. I appear to be encouraging my struggling fellow believer to walk in His path. But is that really what's happening? Or is there some undercurrent going on?

It seems to me, the real translation of these statements is, "I'm a far better Christian than you are. Too bad you're so weak compared to me, and you still have these problems. Unlike you, I've been doing it right. Look what a good, perfect Christian I am. I, I, I, me, me, me."

Am I reading the situation correctly? And what WOULD be examples of truly encouraging statements made to struggling believers?

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the internet its easy to be anything you want,you can be the most pious,charitable,holy devout person in the room,nobody knows who you are or what you actually do or if you do 1/10th of what you say others should do....its the internet,the world's one big masquerade party

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I often find those people to be "holier than thou" types. Which is why its hard to separate the braggers from the true "walk the walk"ers. Just like the people who claimed they are healed and your not because you don't love Jesus enough, you didn't pray enough, your in alot of sin...etc. But remember, these people by acting like that are in sin themselves. As someone told me (in email):

"How do we become holy without becoming 'holier than thou'? By actually becoming actually holy.

Holiness and holier-than-thou-ness aren't parallel phenomena. They run on different tracks. If someone is growing in arrogance, pride, and self-righteousness, by definition they are not growing in holiness.

The problem arises in equating holiness with religious behavior. Holy people do obey God, of course. But the character of holiness, in which the Spirit does his progressive sanctifying work in our hearts (and therefore in our thoughts, speech, and actions), produces qualities of humility, gentleness, kindness, and self-control. Any arrogant fool can abstain from certain sins or give to charity and what-not. The Pharisees certainly did that, and all our legalistic contemporaries do too. But that is not real holiness. That is moralistic separatism or some such thing.

Therefore, it is impossible to become both holy and holier-than-thou. To grow in one, is to atrophy in the other.

But I am grateful that while I still struggle with a variety of sins, most especially the root sin of pride, I have God's promise that he will complete the work he began in me, and that Jesus is both the author and the perfecter of my faith."

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Oh, I never struggle with temptation. I give it to the Lord, and He just takes it right away from me."

"I never get depressed. I'm happy all the time, because I find my joy in the Lord."

"I'm never worried or anxious. With the Lord God Almighty on my side, I have nothing to fear."

"I've never faced that problem. You see, I've been a Christian and lived for Jesus Christ since I was a small child, and He's been guiding my steps all along."
-----
OK, if I'm saying those things, on the surface, it LOOKS as if I'm glorifying God, praising His name, witnessing and testifying for Him. I appear to be encouraging my struggling fellow believer to walk in His path. But is that really what's happening? Or is there some undercurrent going on?

It seems to me, the real translation of these statements is, "I'm a far better Christian than you are. Too bad you're so weak compared to me, and you still have these problems. Unlike you, I've been doing it right. Look what a good, perfect Christian I am. I, I, I, me, me, me."

Am I reading the situation correctly? And what WOULD be examples of truly encouraging statements made to struggling believers?

You make a good point that the hearer can come away with negative thoughts from it. Those are not healthy - they are temptations to pride, temptations to despair, temptations to judge others. (I'm NOT saying you are prideful, despairing, or judging if these are thoughts you have ... I'm saying the THOUGHTS can lead to temptations of these kinds - and would quickly add that to be tempted is not a sin.)

But what's going on with people who say these things?

Some could feel pressured to respond that way, and be damaging themselves because they recognize the difference between what they think they should be, and what they are.

Some could manage to convince themselves it is actually true, again motivated by the idea that this is how they are supposed to be.

They could be enjoying a sort of newness in their faith, and to them it might be such a contrast to their former unregenerate life, or cool faith that it really seems true for them - for now.

Or maybe something else I'm not thinking of.

Definitions of words matter. We are not supposed to fear, if we trust God. But there are different kinds of fear, and add to that the fact that we are all at different points in the spectrum of living out our faith, so it's difficult to measure just the words.

But if those are the thoughts someone is having in response, it would be good if those saying those things knew they could have that effect. If they mean to be encouraging, they may want to realize they are having the opposite effect. They also may want to consider that they could be part of tempting someone to sin. They may be hurting themselves, trying to measure up, and could benefit from dropping the facade.

God certainly helps us. But He lefts go of our hand a bit and teaches us to walk on our own as well. What that looks like for each person can be different. But guilt over not "being perfect" in Christ if we have wrong expectations is not good.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Motive and delivery make a difference to me, personally. To me there is a difference between being open about the ways in which the Lord has helped you, such as in overcoming certain things, and trying to puff yourself up as superior to others. The former offers a testimony of hope to those who are still struggling, while the latter discourages others by implying that they are unworthy in some way.

Also sometimes we can relate different struggles that have underlying common ground. Like I have never been addicted to inappropriate content, but there was a time in my life when I played World of Warcraft like 30 hours a week, not even exaggerating. So I can relate to a psychological addiction/compulsion struggle in general, even when knowing it's unhealthy (mentally, spiritually, etc).

So using that as an example, I'm not shy about the fact that prayer and asking Jesus for help gave me the strength to break free from spiritually unhealthy gaming issues, but of course it doesn't mean I'm 'better' than someone who still has a similar addiction. Just means I've been there.

Likewise I'm still struggling with other things, like patience issues, which some other people have already conquered with the help of the Lord. They are a sign of hope and encouragement for me.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We comfort those with the comfort we ourselves have received from the Lord.

I dont know about the 'never' statements. We all have sinned and fallen short of his glory, part of being a christian is admitting and confessing this. Along with learning the secret...of victory in Christ. Paul wrote 'i can do all things through christ, who strengthens me'

There is a difference between being encouraging, pointing to Jesus..and being smug.

I dont know about the 'ive been a christian and lived for Jesus as a small child' bit, I dont think people really boast about that, many younger christians quietly assume thats how everyone lives because they are sheltered especially if theyve lived in a middle class bubble but thats not going to be the case with the majority of people. If thats all you know growing up then thats all you know.

I wouldnt assume they automatically think themselves as 'better' than other christians who havent but perhaps blessed or favoured.

Snobbery isnt really a fruit of the holy spirit. We ought to esteem others and realise if we seem like we are better off its only by the grace of God. And of course grace and truth come by Jesus Christ so just encourage others to keep believing. By grace we are saved through faith, not works lest anyone should boast.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:)

I think what all of the statements boil down to is, "Because I'm a Christian, God makes life easy for me. If He doesn't make it easy for you, then you must be doing something wrong."

And what's off about that is, He never promised to make it easy, did He?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, sometimes we have to examine ourselves whether we are holding on to some sin thats weighing us down that is making it harder. If the load is too heavy it might be because we havent yet learned to really trust Jesus to carry it for us.

He does say come to me all ye who are weary and heavily laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Matthew 11:28-30

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have heard those statements over the years. I don't compare my relationship with Christ to others unless I can learn something from them. I am a unique creation of God and my Christian life isn't going to be like the one they have.
If they are bragging in some way, its on them for lying. If they are trying to cheer themselves up with positive statements of faith then I hope it works. If they are in denial, they aren't going to listen to anything I have to say.
So I fellowship with them like I do anyone else.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No Christian worth their salt goes through life without any trial or tribulation. Its just what may be trial or tribulation to some people may not be as such for you and vice versa.

I mean Paul was beaten and shipwrecked and in jail and yet he still praised God and learned to be content whatever the situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

-----

Those are legitimate sayings of someone who has struggled to overcome something for years or decades and God has granted victory to. If the person believes those things without having struggled with it, then either (1) they haven't yet been shown the truth or (2) God is giving them a special grace (for the time being). Either way, to the degree it is true is the degree to which God has granted grace.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Lovebirds Flying. I do not quite understand what you really mean. Do we make it too hard sometimes, to Love and follow God/Jesus? May I tell you what I do to glorify God. Jesus "tells us in Matthew 22: 35-40: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we read: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
The Bible tells us: Love God and love our neighbour, change from selfish wishes and wants, to love and care and. Love God with all our beings and love all we know and all we meet, as we would love to be met. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us: " Ask and you shall receive," we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and care with all around us. Love is very catching, and Jesus will lead us to God, our Heavenly Father.
Jesus is our Saviour, Jesus died that we might live. Let us follow Jesus in all we say and do, and return to our Heavenly Father, who is in Heaven. I say this with love, Lovebirds Flying. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0