Is it possible Christians are practicing more false teachings than ever?

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, this comes in light of the whole debacle surrounding Josh Harris, author of "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." Coincidentally, also the father-in-law of one of my small town church acquaintances (I would say friend, but tbh we weren't really close, but we know of each other and served in some ministries together. Sister in Christ, I guess we'll say?)

When Harris renounced his faith, so many of my friends posted on Facebook how they were ruined by Harris' aforementioned book, and how it was false. There a couple key things here that I want to point out.

While a false teacher/deceiver, if indeed they are that, may have done a bad thing, the blame is not solely on their shoulders. We also have a responsibility to discern, and one of the biggest problems I see in Christianity is that many Christians read more "Christian literature," than the actual Bible itself. I have yet to see a Christian say, "I was wrong to believe that lie," but rather, the blame is placed squarely on the "false teacher."

One caveat stemming from that, is that a teaching is not false because someone renounces the faith. False is false and true is true. Sometimes someone can have a really strong argument for what they believe to be biblical, but then renounce the faith; that does not make their prior argument unbiblical. It only shows them to not be a trusted source going forward.

So, taking all these things into account, is it possible that there is a popular belief in Christianity right now, that is actually a false teaching? Similarly, is there a true teaching that may have been lost due to the nature of the teacher it originated from?

For me, I firmly stand by this belief, that the whole Boundaries teaching, particularly by Dr. Henry Cloud, is one of the most wicked teachings currently in all of Christianity. I do not mean to say we should never have boundaries. There are clear times when we should...such as abuse. Sometimes not so clear, where it may at least be understandable, such as ex-bf/gf. But for the most part, I have found peoples' use of boundaries to just shut out anyone they dislike, disagree with, annoys them, or basically any reason they see fit, in the name of Christian boundaries. I mean, I see children shut out their parents, directly against then 10 Commandments. I think this has added more division to the church than any other teaching in history. It was actually a secular psychological belief long before Cloud espoused it. I legitimately could see many Christians saying in 20 years, "How stupid I was to believe Henry Cloud and Boundaries! I sabotaged all my friendships and now I have none!"

To me, the biggest red flag of a false teaching is when a great number of non-Christians are in full support of the teaching.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
There are many false teaching that involve The Bible going around. The main one to be concerned with, is the false teachings that touch on Eternal Life salvation and how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

A lot of churches now are teaching a works based approach, instead of belief in Jesus for Eternal Life.
Or they are teaching a belief in Jesus but the belief must include repentance, baptism, obedience, commitment, confessing Christ, etc... whatever a church/preacher may add to belief in Jesus.

As for creation 90%+ of churches are teaching false creation accounts.

As for prophecy same hold ture many false teaching are in this area also.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
-
There are many false teaching that involve The Bible going around. The main one to be concerned with, is the false teachings that touch on Eternal Life salvation and how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

A lot of churches now are teaching a works based approach, instead of belief in Jesus for Eternal Life.
Or they are teaching a belief in Jesus but the belief must include repentance, baptism, obedience, commitment, confessing Christ, etc... whatever a church/preacher may add to belief in Jesus.

As for creation 90%+ of churches are teaching false creation accounts.

As for prophecy same hold ture many false teaching are in this area also.
I do see more and more Christians becoming lazy in terms of works. While it isn't a means of salvation, it should be something we exemplify. I believe too many Christians nowadays are using grace as a license to sin. It's not really straightforward though. It's more, like... well, I'm saved, so I don't really HAVE to do that.," when they absolutely should. So, I do think a focus on works/acts of service would benefit the church, as long as it's not saying those works equal salvation.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't know who Henry Cloud is, or what this "Boundaries" teaching is.

You mention that it's not about setting boundaries--which can be important and necessary, especially in incidents of abuse. So I'm not entirely sure what the teaching is, as I've never heard of it, or the person behind it.

So my initial thoughts are: To me the subject of establishing boundaries is something that is more appropriate in the context of a mental health conversation rather than a doctrinal one.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: The Liturgist

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As far as seeing bad teaching, false teaching, bad theology, etc--yes I think such things are rather ubiquitous today. I have some pretty strong opinions about it, but do not wish to be provocative here.

-CryptoLutheran

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, this comes in light of the whole debacle surrounding Josh Harris, author of "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." Coincidentally, also the father-in-law of one of my small town church acquaintances (I would say friend, but tbh we weren't really close, but we know of each other and served in some ministries together. Sister in Christ, I guess we'll say?)

When Harris renounced his faith, so many of my friends posted on Facebook how they were ruined by Harris' aforementioned book, and how it was false. There a couple key things here that I want to point out.

While a false teacher/deceiver, if indeed they are that, may have done a bad thing, the blame is not solely on their shoulders. We also have a responsibility to discern, and one of the biggest problems I see in Christianity is that many Christians read more "Christian literature," than the actual Bible itself. I have yet to see a Christian say, "I was wrong to believe that lie," but rather, the blame is placed squarely on the "false teacher."

One caveat stemming from that, is that a teaching is not false because someone renounces the faith. False is false and true is true. Sometimes someone can have a really strong argument for what they believe to be biblical, but then renounce the faith; that does not make their prior argument unbiblical. It only shows them to not be a trusted source going forward.

So, taking all these things into account, is it possible that there is a popular belief in Christianity right now, that is actually a false teaching? Similarly, is there a true teaching that may have been lost due to the nature of the teacher it originated from?

For me, I firmly stand by this belief, that the whole Boundaries teaching, particularly by Dr. Henry Cloud, is one of the most wicked teachings currently in all of Christianity. I do not mean to say we should never have boundaries. There are clear times when we should...such as abuse. Sometimes not so clear, where it may at least be understandable, such as ex-bf/gf. But for the most part, I have found peoples' use of boundaries to just shut out anyone they dislike, disagree with, annoys them, or basically any reason they see fit, in the name of Christian boundaries. I mean, I see children shut out their parents, directly against then 10 Commandments. I think this has added more division to the church than any other teaching in history. It was actually a secular psychological belief long before Cloud espoused it. I legitimately could see many Christians saying in 20 years, "How stupid I was to believe Henry Cloud and Boundaries! I sabotaged all my friendships and now I have none!"

To me, the biggest red flag of a false teaching is when a great number of non-Christians are in full support of the teaching.

I avoid false teachings by listening to only the Church that has taught the same thing for two thousand years. No new doctrines, no new means of salvation. Only what has been taught from the beginning.

• Winner

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Way was the term used for the first followers of Jesus and the Apostles. They were first called Christians at Antioch, see Acts 11:26. That still is the name for The Way.

• Winner

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Way was the term used for the first followers of Jesus and the Apostles. They were first called Christians at Antioch, see Acts 11:26. That still is the name for The Way.
Yes but it changed from the Way to institutionalized churches that taught and controlled rather than lived

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes but it changed from the Way to institutionalized churches that taught and controlled rather than lived

I take it that the "institutionalized churches" founded by Jesus Christ are somehow insufficient for you.

• Winner
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I take it that the "institutionalized churches" founded by Jesus Christ are somehow insufficient for you.
He founded the movement built on God's truths. Man founded the instutionalized churches built upon the previous models of mans systems using Christianity as a commodity.

Reactions: mwallie
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He founded the movement built on God's truths. Man founded the instutionalized churches built upon the previous models of mans systems using Christianity as a commodity.
Maybe you can explain what you mean by "previous models of mans systems" and how it affected the Church.

• Winner

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe you can explain what you mean by "previous models of mans systems" and how it affected the Church.
No different than other governments of man and expecting the same loyalty. The early 'churches' were like house studies with an elder and rarely large in number as Jesus intended. Communities thrive while institutions get out of hand

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ephesians321

Oct 24, 2023
Riverside
✟5,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Christianity is under barrage of false teachings especially from televangelism and megachurches. The doctrines they teach are dire with no scriptural truth. They take verses and whole passages and twist them completely out of context. They have also mixed God's word with alot of New Age nonsense too.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We have a Helper for discernment.
“If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
Blessings

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are a lot of problematic beliefs out there, but "more [now] than ever" is a pretty high bar. Christians still look for nonsense that tickles their ears, but our continually-improving understanding of the world and its history helps keep at least some of that nonsense in check in ways that it didn't in the past. We're not burning witches anymore, for example, or using the Bible to justify slavery.

So, no, I don't think they/we are practicing more false teachings now than ever before - perhaps in spite of ourselves.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0