Is it okay for a christian to drink wine?

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not want to condemn drinking, but I have to say that I do not think alcohol decreases the likelihood of suicide. In fact, alcohol is involved in 1/4 of all suicides. Alcohol and Suicide - An Unfortunate Relationship - QuitAlcohol.com
If you suffer a serious loss, seek support. If suicide is on your mind, alcohol can make you more impulsive, and usually that is not good.

Oh, come on, I doubt there are any studies on it but I do think it's a good idea for someone to take action if they feel they cannot handle anything, the suicide thing was a possibility, and to make a point. Taking the edge off like that, and as I said, just like a doctor will take the edge of with something, can be a very good thing in a traumatic event.

If you all want to judge someone fro getting drunk under the conditions I mention, that is up to you...I will not.

One might claim the bible says not to get drunk at all, but it also says not to drink in some verses. However, we all still get the overall right idea it's not a sin. I get the idea we should not be a drunkard, or be an alcoholic/ongoing heavy drinker, but getting drunk under certain circumstances is not going to be judged by God nearly as harshly as by man...evidently.

I started my first post on that with, that was my opinion, and of course all are welcome to theirs, but mine remains exactly the same, and probably always will.

On Alcohol and suicide, these are people who have drinking problems, and maybe they should obtain altogether. Also, alcohol doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some churches ignore what's important and focus on legalisms....That's one of the legalisms.

Ah, someone who knows what true legalism is. I say that because the term is so often tossed at people who want to obey Gods word, not mans made up rules.

• Haha
Reactions: Denadii
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe there are no many people like our brother Paul that said talking about meat.. being offered and stuff "Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall."... for EVER.

Not to offend..its wise to ask but just WHO are you asking this of? Who are you, who knows you, how long have you walked in what you preach and teach? I also am in that group.

All would agree we are here to please Him. And as others say and used the word..theres nothing wrong with drinking. The hard stuff if I was asked I would say no. Relax... enjoy this life He gave you. Let everything you do HELP build up.. point others to Christ

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,419.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Liturgical Churches that read Scripture literally use wine in the Eucharist and hold the real presence, and they don't have to employ critical interpretation to do so like those Churches that forbid it in their "symbolic only" communion practices.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, come on, I doubt there are any studies on it but I do think it's a good idea for someone to take action if they feel they cannot handle anything, the suicide thing was a possibility, and to make a point. Taking the edge off like that, and as I said, just like a doctor will take the edge of with something, can be a very good thing in a traumatic event.

If you all want to judge someone fro getting drunk under the conditions I mention, that is up to you...I will not.

One might claim the bible says not to get drunk at all, but it also says not to drink in some verses.[\QUOTE]

I am not trying to judge people. I just want them to stay alive. If you are already consciously thinking about suicide, alcohol can temporarily reduce your anxiety. Which could be good.... On the other hand maybe you would find that your anxiety about death would decrease.
I did not make the link between suicide and alcohol. I do not want to recommend a course of action that could be really, really dangerous. See my link in my previous post or search yourself.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, someone who knows what true legalism is. I say that because the term is so often tossed at people who want to obey Gods word, not mans made up rules.
Yeah....I've been in churches where legalism is the main focus....And gotten kicked out of them too because I chose to believe the Word rather than silly doctrines.

• Winner
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what to make of that last line. A 14 year old girl in my daughter's middle school went out drinking... When she finally got home, drunk, her mother sent her to bed. She died of straight-up alcohol poisoning, not just drowning in her own puke. The people who gave her the alcohol should have faced legal sanctions, but I find the alcohol to be the most important contributing factor. I could go on and on but I will stop

Surely you can't think I condone such a thing??

That problem was caused by people, or one could go so far as to blame God for seeing to it alcohol is the only really intoxicating drug that is legal aside from pot.

Anything can be abused.

On the other hand maybe you would find that your anxiety about death would decrease.

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I am I no position to judge anyone's alcohol consumption, believe me. I just want people to stay alive. I did not make up the statistics about people committing suicide after drinking. Alcohol reduces your anxiety but instead of making you less anxious about living without your loved one, maybe it would make you less anxious about ending your own life to be with your loved one.
One might claim the bible says not to get drunk at all, but it also says not to drink in some verses. However, we all still get the overall right idea it's not a sin. I get the idea we should not be a drunkard, or be an alcoholic/ongoing heavy drinker, but getting drunk under certain circumstances is not going to be judged by God nearly as harshly as by man...evidently.
I don't know what to make of that last line. A 14 year old girl in my daughter's middle school went out drinking... When she finally got home, drunk, her mother sent her to bed. She died of straight-up alcohol poisoning, not just drowning in her own puke. The people who gave her the alcohol should have faced legal sanctions, but I find the alcohol to be the most important contributing factor. I could go on and on but I will stop.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Surely you can't think I condone such a thing??

That problem was caused by people, or one could go so far as to blame God for seeing to it alcohol is the only really intoxicating drug that is legal aside from pot.

Anything can be abused.

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
I was, responding to your comment that alcohol doesn't kill people; people kill people. Sometimes alcohol kills people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes alcohol kills people.

Yep, I was walking through the grocery store and that wine jumped right down my throat I tell ya', it was a sight to see, then I got wobbly tripped on the leg of a shelf bringing 1000lbs of dog food right down on my head..

So, yeah, it was the wine...I had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Denadii
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep, I was walking through the grocery store and that wine jumped right down my throat I tell ya', it was a sight to see, then I got wobbly tripped on the leg of a shelf bringing 1000lbs of dog food right down on my head..

So, yeah, it was the wine...I had nothing to do with it.
:rolleyes: Is this an eye-roll? It's supposed to be an eye roll.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I like to drink wine once in a while but I was wondering if it's bad? I don't get drunk but once in a blue moon I like to have wine in the evening.

It's fine. Enjoy.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:rolleyes: Is this an eye-roll? It's supposed to be an eye roll.

Yes, I've concluded it was. :)

All one can do is make it illegal, and that didn't work. As far as I know God signed off on it too.

People will be irresponsible and I guess the idea is, why take it from the responsible to keep it from the irresponsible? Wine/strong drink on it's own, does nothing, it just sits there. It's when people get their hands on it, the problems can occur...or not. We need to take responsibility for our own actions and not blame inanimate objects.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like to drink wine once in a while but I was wondering if it's bad? I don't get drunk but once in a blue moon I like to have wine in the evening.
According to Harvard Medical authorities while drinking alcohol is a major cause of death in America, light drinking may be good for a person's health:
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/

I would not expect the 1-2 servings of alcohol per day allowed for men or the 1 serving a day allowed for women to be able to reverse the coronary artery disease linked to gluttony, bad diet and inactivity.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The Church of the Terrified.

That's what much of this thread sounds like.
Apart from a few bold souls, everyone is so terrified of the effects of drink on their earthly bodies, their eternal souls, or the souls of anyone else who might possibly see them near the dreaded alcohol.

What happened to victory?
Christians cannot be victorious over alcohol if they are too frightened of what it might do to them. That's living in defeat.

The whole church must not live with a gun to its head because of the odd person who has a bondage to alcohol. Its the job of the saints to cast the demons of addiction out so that he is no longer bound.

Paul's message regarding not drinking alcohol, in case a brother is offended, had nothing to do with alcoholism. It was an issue of belief in what was a sin or not a sin.
Until that brother came to terms about meat (as Peter had to) or alcohol, Paul would not force him to go against his weak conscience.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If someone is suicidal, it's worse for them to get drunk, they'll be at greater risk of killing themselves.

A lot of people have more pain than they do tolerance. Getting drunk to escape the pain is a losing proposition.

Completely depends on the person. For instance if I drink while depressed it can bring me to a cheery mood for a few days. Alcohol, like anything else, is dependent on the person's ability to use it responsibly. I think there is also a difference between being drunk, and drunkenness, which implies a habit.

Upvote 0