Is it okay for a christian to drink wine?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. - 1 Timothy 5:23

Notice... A little wine. Smith Wigglesworth use to travel abroad and would run into many folks who would cruise with him. He use to say that 1 Timothy 5:23 was most peoples favorite scripture and would justify their party life using that scripture. A little wine is not bad, but the party life is.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No.

Proverbs 23:31:
Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like to drink wine once in a while but I was wondering if it's bad? I don't get drunk but once in a blue moon I like to have wine in the evening.
So? Have a glass of wine once in a while....Look...
1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Wine is sneaky...lol Theres that old so called Chinese saying "The man drinks the drink; The drink drinks the drink; The drink drinks the man." Don't come under the sneaky power of the wine....
Also as in the second verse....Wine is lawful for you to drink but it does nothing positive for you.

Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like to drink wine once in a while but I was wondering if it's bad? I don't get drunk but once in a blue moon I like to have wine in the evening.
To quote C.S. Lewis:

“Temperance is, unfortunately, one of those words that has changed its meaning. It now usually means teetotalism. But in the days when the second Cardinal virtue was christened ‘Temperance’, it meant nothing of the sort. Temperance referred not specially to drink, but to all pleasures; and it meant not abstaining, but going the right length and no further. It is a mistake to think that Christians ought all to be teetotallers; Mohammedanism, not Christianity, is the teetotal religion. Of course it may be the duty of a particular Christian, or of any Christian, at a particular time, to abstain from strong drink, either because he is the sort of man who cannot drink at all without drinking too much, or because he is with people who are inclined to drunkenness and must not encourage them by drinking himself. But the whole point is that he is abstaining, for a good reason, from something which he does not condemn and which he likes to see other people enjoying. One of the marks of a certain type of bad man is that he cannot give up a thing himself without wanting every one else to give it up. That is not the Christian way. An individual Christian may see fit to give up all sorts of things for special reasons--—marriage, or meat, or beer, or the cinema; but the moment he starts saying the things are bad in themselves, or looking down his nose at other people who do use them, he has taken the wrong turning.”

- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FWIW, and this is just my opinion on the matter but getting drunk because our spouse died and we;re having a tough time dealing with it, is not wrong in my view.

As far as I know being a drunkard, a perpetual drunk is all that scripture ever refers to when it come to getting drunk. Never a good idea as our head will tell us after the fact but if worse comes to worse, once in that blue moon...not so bad as I think it's made out to be.

Partying regularly/drinking heavenly, something I don't get the idea the OP does, I agree is a bad idea.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also as in the second verse....Wine is lawful for you to drink but it does nothing positive for you.

As basically a medication to help us deal with trauma such as I mention in my last post, can be seen as doing something positive.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is fine to drink wine in moderation.

Scripture condemns drunkenness but certainly doesn’t condemn wine in moderation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FWIW, and this is just my opinion on the matter but getting drunk because our spouse died and we;re having a tough time dealing with it, is not wrong in my view.

As far as I know being a drunkard, a perpetual drunk is all that scripture ever refers to when it come to getting drunk. Never a good idea as our head will tell us after the fact but if worse comes to worse, once in that blue moon...not so bad as I think it's made out to be.

Partying regularly/drinking heavenly, something I don't get the idea the OP does, I agree is a bad idea.
Getting drunk to deal with a spouse dying or any other emotional pain is very dangerous. That pain is too copious and too deep to really go away, and people can fall into the trap of drinking to deal with it again and again until they become alcoholics. Drinking should only be done in a self-controlled manner, where your better judgment decides how much you drink, rather than your pain.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. - 1 Timothy 5:23

Ancient people didnt know that to help digestion problem one should eat more vegetable and less meat.

A little alcohol of one spoonfull is good to help digestion but which man on earth can drink a little ?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Getting drunk to deal with a spouse dying or any other emotional pain is very dangerous. That pain is too copious and too deep to really go away, and people can fall into the trap of drinking to deal with it again and again until they become alcoholics. Drinking should only be done in a self-controlled manner, where your better judgment decides how much you drink, rather than your pain.

It's all dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't deal with it properly. It just depends on the person. Self controlled manner? Sure, in a perfect world, but bad things happen and people deal with them differently. Taking the edge off the worst part, could prevent a worse thing, like suicide. It's just hard for me to judge anyone wrong in a case like that. I know that's a worse case scenario, but one can come back from being a drunkard, not so much from suicide. And what I mention are just the type traumatic experiences where people do actually commit suicide.

Getting drunk just for the sake of getting drunk, even if we aren't a drunkard, is probably not a good idea, but I personally would never get on to someone fro doing so under traumatic circumstance. However I would get on to them if they don't soon stop. Just as a doctor might prescribe something to get someone through the very worst of any given event like that, one can self medicate.

But allowing it to become habit can happen to anyone, and that type needs to be very careful regardless of how they use it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ancient people didnt know that to help digestion problem one should eat more vegetable and less meat.

A little alcohol of one spoonfull is good to help digestion but which man on earth can drink a little ?

I've heard the problem back then was the water was bad, and that made them "sick so often". A little alcohol in the water as disinfectant? Not sure if that's true or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May be they didnt cook the water ???

It would seem like they would. I don't recall from the old law that dealt with germs, whether they knew it or not, mention they should boil the water or not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would seem like they would. I don't recall from the old law that did dealt with germs, whether they knew it or not, mention they should boil the water or not?
I doubt the early church knew something about germs in the water. Knowledge about germs came later when microscope was found i guess.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I doubt the early church knew something about germs in the water. Knowledge about germs came later when microscope was found i guess.

Oh, I agree, however, some of the old cleanliness laws imposed by God, would have dealt with germs, again, whether the people knew it or not...that's all I'm saying.

Does anyone know if any of Moses law included boiling water?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's all dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't deal with it properly. It just depends on the person. Self controlled manner? Sure, in a perfect world, but bad things happen and people deal with them differently. Taking the edge off the worst part, could prevent a worse thing, like suicide. It's just hard for me to judge anyone wrong in a case like that. I know that's a worse case scenario, but one can come back from being a drunkard, not so much from suicide. And what I mention are just the type traumatic experiences where people do actually commit suicide.
If someone is suicidal, it's worse for them to get drunk, they'll be at greater risk of killing themselves.

A lot of people have more pain than they do tolerance. Getting drunk to escape the pain is a losing proposition.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible does not forbid drinking alcohol in small quantities. I, for one, drank too much and had to stop altogether, and I no longer have any desire for alcohol. I wouldn't encourage anyone to drink alcohol, but if you seem to need a little, I don't think it's a sin.

Upvote 0