Is it ok to kill someone as a soldier?

If you kill someone as a soldier...

• Its not a sin since you are defending your country and yourself.

• Its a sin since you could have avoided it by no joining the army.

• I am not sure which is the right answer.

Results are only viewable after voting.

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Romans 13:4 NASB
"for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil."

Hi,
It looks like everyone did not understand your post. I hope they do now. Your post is one line of Romans 13. It is an important line. There it says, those laws, really made by God, for civilians, do in fact include using the sword on people back in the Roman era.
LOVE,
...Katherina., .... .

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”

49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

52 Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs? 53 Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns.”

So,
Jesus told them to bring swords, and maybe just maybe because they were going to kill Him, thus prevent his dying on the Cross, as it was supposed to happen.
Even here, not only in Romans 13 verses 1-5, your Bible tells you what to do, when the bad guys want to do harm.
Someone kept Jesus from dying early, possibly.
LOVE,
...Katherina., .... .

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi again,
And last and maybe least, I am deeply injured, by being a person trained to kill, to protect others. With 54 hold off of armed robberies, one got through our defenses one day. This was before I was 21 years old. My family, I was protecting. The Chicago Police told them what to do. They told me what to do. The second armed robbery took place when I was 21. The gun went off. My reactions are now instinctive, my hands moved and did what they were supposed to do. That was not a good day for me. Although no one was killed, they most certainly might have been, if I was prepared. I wasn't because now I was in LA, not Chicago. The details are not important.
I have band of brothers with lots of people. It is NOT fun. Yet, someone has to protect others, to keep smiles on all of your faces, if possible. I and people like me parent, each and every one of you, in those ways. You also parent us in other ways.
You might want to know that Jesus said to bring swords that day. You might want to know that God says, he makes those laws that the Chicago Police Department, told us to obey.
LOVE,
...Katherina., .... .

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Only God can Judge such things...

But if a person in his or her youth was doing what they thought was right, but then when they get older come to "regret" what they have done, then they can "repent" and God is gracious and merciful and loving and kind so as to "forgive" the wrong (if they come to a point in their life that they feel "regret" and now think it was "wrong") They can repent and God will forgive them...

If they do not Believe it was "wrong" then only God can judge, if it was in self-defense, or in defending ones neighbor and fighting for rights and freedoms...As I said only God can judge, if they "feel" their right about it, then they should take it to God in prayer and communication with God, and then "listen" for God's response about the subject...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Only God can Judge such things...

But if a person in his or her youth was doing what they thought was right, but then when they get older come to "regret" what they have done, then they can "repent" and God is gracious and merciful and loving and kind so as to "forgive" the wrong (if they come to a point in their life that they feel "regret" and now think it was "wrong") They can repent and God will forgive them...

If they do not Believe it was "wrong" then only God can judge, if it was in self-defense, or in defending ones neighbor and fighting for rights and freedoms...As I said only God can judge, if they "feel" their right about it, then they should take it to God in prayer and communication with God, and then "listen" for God's response about the subject...

God Bless!

AND then you would agree if they killed when they were young, and came to regret it and thought they had done wrong, then they should take it to God in prayer, and "listen" to God…..for God may very well tell them there is no need to repent, they did nothing wrong. You seem to be siding with its wrong they just don't know it yet crowd, at least thats how I saw your writing. I agree only God can judge, so lets not keep implying IF they don't think they did wrong they should STILL go to God. That implies you judge and think they did wrong.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
AND then you would agree if they killed when they were young, and came to regret it and thought they had done wrong, then they should take it to God in prayer, and "listen" to God…..for God may very well tell them there is no need to repent, they did nothing wrong.

He just may, but I believe that with anything and everything, whether you feel justified or not, should be taken to God in prayer, God may agree that you were justified and did nothing wrong, but you'll have to ask him and then wait for the response that he speaks to your heart, mind and conscience

You seem to be siding with its wrong they just don't know it yet crowd, at least thats how I saw your writing.

No, I'm not saying that, say a person said hard to hear, perhaps even harsh words to someone, say it was a friend, but they were being direct and honest over the other person's wrong that they had been doing, and you feel justified as you felt you "needed" to say that in the way that you said it, in order to rebuke another person's wrong and let's say you were their friend and just trying to be honest with them in a way that would "shake" them and "wake them up" to the wrong that they were doing, and felt you were giving them the chance to change it... Even though you feel completely justified, should you still not keep in communication with God by going to him in prayer and talking to him over/about it?

I agree only God can judge, so lets not keep implying IF they don't think they did wrong they should STILL go to God.

No, I am saying that even if you feel you did right, you should still go to God about it, we should not just go to God only when we think we've done wrong, but we should also go to him with the things that we feel we've done right, for re-assurance if we've done right, not just when we think we're wrong...

That implies you judge and think they did wrong.

I am not judging either way, but, everyone has "doubts" from time to time, (that's just in our human nature), and if you doubt, (wonder if you did the right or wrong thing), in these times, you should take it to God and strike up a conversation with him about it, and carefully listen for his response spoken into your heart, mind, and conscience... God may tell them they've done nothing wrong and not to worry over, or have doubts about it, or he might not...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes it is wrong to kill another person, regardless of what your job is, or why you are doing it. There is no excuse for it.

What part of love your neighbor, don't you understand?
so by that logic, would you be mad if you were being attacked or someone you knew was being raped and someone shot and killed the attacker?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not judging either way, but, everyone has "doubts" from time to time, (that's just in our human nature), and if you doubt, (wonder if you did the right or wrong thing), in these times, you should take it to God and strike up a conversation with him about it, and carefully listen for his response spoken into your heart, mind, and conscience... God may tell them they've done nothing wrong and not to worry over, or have doubts about it, or he might not...

God Bless!

The post just seemed a little bias to me thats why I was asking, thank you for answering. There will always be those who think any type of killing is sin, and those who see the scriptures much differently. I can still love the pacifist, but I'm not sure all pacifist love those who disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums