Is it morally right to pray for God to forgive others?

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I ask this I do not have in mind someone who has harmed me. Rather, a situation similar to that of Jesus on the cross. You know, when he asked God to forgive the other theives. Is this morally correct, or is it judgmental?
It is a beautiful offering of love and thanksgiving that you have the "prayer pathway" to God and that He never fails to hear you.

Reactions: ModernMoses
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I ask this I do not have in mind someone who has harmed me. Rather, a situation similar to that of Jesus on the cross. You know, when he asked God to forgive the other theives. Is this morally correct, or is it judgmental?
Hi; Philippians 2, from verse 5 onward, which speaks of the Lord Jesus when He went to the Cross, is a very searching passage which can help put our thoughts about others into perspective.

• Informative
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I should think this is not only morally correct, but the work of unfeigned love. Christ is our example, and He did such, as mentioned in your post. Forgive them, Father; they don't know what they're doing. Moses interceded by asking God to blot him out of His book (Exodus 32:31-32), Paul wished he could be accursed from Christ to save the blinded of Israel (Romans 9:3)

But the way the question is phrased; perhaps I'm nitpicking, but I believe this would be best served in being inclusive of self, otherwise it may seem, judgmental? For instance I often paraphrase the words of Jesus, "Forgive us, we don't know what we're doing" because to say "them" seems to me to be somewhat, judgmental of others since the words themselves are only in regards to others, as if the one praying is somehow, better.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ModernMoses

Nov 19, 2016
Dire Dawa
✟100.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi; Philippians 2, from verse 5 onward, which speaks of the Lord Jesus when He went to the Cross, is a very searching passage which can help put our thoughts about others into perspective.

So you are saying it IS morally correct? That is what my interpretation of the passage is. Please speak your honest opinion. Thanks xo

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus asked forgiveness for those who crucified Him.
Stephen asked forgiveness for those who stoned Him.

I think we should ask God to forgive those who harm us. If we have truly forgiven them, as we are told to do, then we will want God to forgive them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying it IS morally correct? That is what my interpretation of the passage is. Please speak your honest opinion. Thanks xo
It is morally correct to be willing to forgive, yes.

And when we think of Who the Lord Jesus and what He went through when He went to the Cross for sinners - as Philippians 2 speaks about - then our own troubles with ppl are certainly put into perspective.

• Agree
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As mentioned, Jesus did it. Stephen did it. What better example can we have? Job was also concerned for possible sins his children might commit.

1 John 5:16 gives us explicit instructions to do so (excluding "sin leading to death").

But I don't think we can offend God by requests for mercy.

In our Church, we often pray, "if they have committed any sin in thought, word, or deed ... " we ask forgiveness. Including the "if" means we are not judging.

If you know someone committed a sin, it might be a situation for particular care. In that case, I would pray for them to be forgiven if they need forgiveness (we don't know if a person already repented) and at the same time, pray for myself not to fall into temptation. That is a wise thing to do when entering into consideration of another's sin, and the aim is to be humble and recognize our own frailty, not putting ourselves above our brother, and recognizing that we ALL need God's help.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ModernMoses

Nov 19, 2016
Dire Dawa
✟100.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I should think this is not only morally correct, but the work of unfeigned love. Christ is our example, and He did such, as mentioned in your post. Forgive them, Father; they don't know what they're doing. Moses interceded by asking God to blot him out of His book (Exodus 32:31-32), Paul wished he could be accursed from Christ to save the blinded of Israel (Romans 9:3)

But the way the question is phrased; perhaps I'm nitpicking, but I believe this would be best served in being inclusive of self, otherwise it may seem, judgmental? For instance I often paraphrase the words of Jesus, "Forgive us, we don't know what we're doing" because to say "them" seems to me to be somewhat, judgmental of others since the words themselves are only in regards to others, as if the one praying is somehow, better.

I understand completely thank you so much :)

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
can a person be forgiven by almighty god, if they have never repented, but have been silently prayed for?

bc if they can be forgiven by you or I praying to God, then Jesus sacrifice wasn't necessary.

we can then just pray to god directly, and no lamb needed to be slain.

I'm just wondering about this, bc this thread got me thinking

about questions I never had before.

I am a born again Christian, but am now confused about what you are saying.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
can a person be forgiven by almighty god, if they have never repented, but have been silently prayed for?

bc if they can be forgiven by you or I praying to God, then Jesus sacrifice wasn't necessary.

Happy Birthday! (We almost share a birthday :) )

I understand your confusion, but reduce it to its simplest form.

If a person can be forgiven just by praying ... why did Jesus need to die?

That's actually a much bigger question, but there's not so much need for confusion based on WHO prays.

Will God forgive someone because we have asked? We don't actually know. He can have mercy on whom He will have mercy. It's not that we try to manipulate God, or think He is obligated because of our prayer.

We simply love, so we ask. And God loves, and God is merciful. Perhaps He will be merciful in the cases we ask, for the sake of our love in asking. Only He knows, but He will do what is right. For us, it is right to love, to pray for one another, to bear one another's burdens, to forgive, to ask God to forgive.

Judgement is in His hands anyway, and is "above our pay grade". We needn't ask about or worry about that.

Our job is to love, and one way we can do that is in praying for people.

:)

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Happy Birthday! (We almost share a birthday :) )

I understand your confusion, but reduce it to its simplest form.

If a person can be forgiven just by praying ... why did Jesus need to die?

That's actually a much bigger question, but there's not so much need for confusion based on WHO prays.

Will God forgive someone because we have asked? We don't actually know. He can have mercy on whom He will have mercy. It's not that we try to manipulate God, or think He is obligated because of our prayer.

We simply love, so we ask. And God loves, and God is merciful. Perhaps He will be merciful in the cases we ask, for the sake of our love in asking. Only He knows, but He will do what is right. For us, it is right to love, to pray for one another, to bear one another's burdens, to forgive, to ask God to forgive.

Judgement is in His hands anyway, and is "above our pay grade". We needn't ask about or worry about that.

Our job is to love, and one way we can do that is in praying for people.

:)

wow, that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever been told. It so thoughtful and lovingly explained.

Its so simply laid out as far as an explanation.

I get it now.

I'm getting overly tired and have been online too long, so probably fuzzy brained right now.

thanks for coming to both mine and others rescue

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Repentance is important from a Godward perspective, indeed. Romans 2 is one of the great passages about repentance.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1400455458149061290.gif

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
wow, that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever been told. It so thoughtful and lovingly explained.

Its so simply laid out as far as an explanation.

I get it now.

I'm getting overly tired and have been online too long, so probably fuzzy brained right now.

thanks for coming to both mine and others rescue

You're welcome.

I just also hope that I haven't introduced confusion on a question outside of the one I was answering.

If someone asked me whether they could forgo repentance, and someone else could simply pray for them - I would never tell a person to ignore their own salvation in that way. That wasn't the question being asked.

But I did mean it when I said that judgement is always in the hands of God.

And I also meant it that in love, we are instructed even to pray for one another, and we certainly have the assurance that we can indeed pray in this way.

It is a beautiful expression of the Body of Christ, the community of faith to which we belong, to help one another in every way we can, and most especially for the sake of salvation, in any way possible.

I know some see Christianity as only a matter of a transaction that takes place between the individual and God, but God established the ekklesia for a purpose. We miss out on a great deal, and possibly the second greatest commandment (love others) if we fail to take up our places in the Body.

(Not saying you are doing this, or anyone else, I just have found it to be deeply significant in our faith.)

God be with you! (And I hope you're getting some rest by now!) :)

Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If someone asked me whether they could forgo repentance, and someone else could simply pray for them - I would never tell a person to ignore their own salvation in that way. That wasn't the question being asked.

well, what I was thinking is this: what if someone who never heard of the gospel and was doing wrong, caused you to quietly pray for their forgiveness -would god listen to you?

I was thinking of someone who was not aware that they needed to repent.

would your Christian prayer possibly be the reason for god to forgive them? without their knowing to repent?

Here's a possible scenario-what if you prayed for the forgiveness of someone who was not a Christian, and was committing a crime, so that you were not in a position to witness to them?

I'mm thinking about what if you were in paris during the attacks at the Bataclan.

would your prayers to forgive the terrorists be enough?

But I think you answered it for me above....and the answer is that god would hear your prayer, and make His own decision?

but if he forgives them based upon your prayer or my prayer, then do they get heaven without knowing Jesus and repenting?

what you said above was really good, I'm probably brain dead ......too much online yesterday and tonight.

I will sign off nd check back another time....

thanks!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to comment too deeply on the judgement of God. The truth is, that He is not limited in how He can act, and Christ became man, died, and was resurrected. The work is finished.

How will God judge? I would never presume to say. We know what we must do. We have the Scriptures.

Can God have mercy on someone outside of what we have been given? Romans 2 would speak to this. It says some people will be judged based on what He has written on their hearts - either being accused or excused - on the day He judges.

And God can do whatever He wants.

I will say that yes, I pray for those who do not know Him, those who commit terrible crimes. I pray for their repentance, their forgiveness, their salvation. If God grants any part of that prayer, or all parts, for whatever reason, in whatever way, by whatever means He chooses - that is His business.

But many Christians do pray such prayers, and I believe we should.

In the end, it is up to God. It comes back to, the only part in our power, is to love, to forgive, and to pray.

Not to say we should be selfish, but such prayers can benefit us too. Some people have difficulty trusting God because of evil things that happen, or they become cold because those things happen. Praying for the people who do these things can keep our hearts open and soft and loving, and benefit us. But that is not the main motivation to pray.

ETA: I forgot one part of your question. Christ is the only way.

But, such as those people talked about in Romans 2, who will be judged by what was in their hearts - when they die, they will meet Christ. Their hearts will also have something to do with how they respond to Him then. No matter what - ALL salvation is ONLY through Christ though.

Upvote 0