Is it ever moral to own another person as property?

• Total voters

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If it benefit's the slave away from a degenerate and idle way of living it seems to me that in such a situation where the individual would use their freedom to their own disadvantage slavery on part of the slaver is morally acceptable.
You are ok with slavery because people use their freedom in a way you don't agree with? Wow. This is a scary notion. Because people in power can justify forcing slavery on others by their own subjective ideas about what the disadvantages are. I have a hard time believing that you really believe this.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
i bolded my stance on it objectivity means it is never seen as moral by humans by nature meaning its immoral humans constant seeking of virtue should show what objectivity of morality is equated too in society without contradicting ethics and common grounds constant polemics breaks our minds
I read this three times and I don't understand what it means. Can you clarify?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well if adoption is ownership then this case applies.

It might be best to define ownership first.
The poll is about property. Property like a car that can be bought and sold, used as collateral, passed down to your kids etc.

• Agree
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are ok with slavery because people use their freedom in a way you don't agree with? Wow.
Why create a poll if you are willing to accept only one answer? That is silly.
Make a position statement in the OP and defend it against anyone that might dare to challenge it.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why create a poll if you are willing to accept only one answer? That is silly.
Make a position statement in the OP and defend it against anyone that might dare to challenge it.
I am willing to accept any answer. I did respond to the answer with the reasons why I thought it was a bad reason. Now what is your answer to the question?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are ok with slavery because people use their freedom in a way you don't agree with? Wow. This is a scary notion. Because people in power can justify forcing slavery on others by their own subjective ideas about what the disadvantages are. I have a hard time believing that you really believe this.
I never said that. Your question was whether or not it can be ever moral to own a slave. If both the master and the slave benefit in the scenario I provided, what is the justification for giving the slave freedom if the slave neither desires freedom and that freedom would put him or her on the path to idleness and degeneracy? Why should this sort of circumstance, be viewed as morally unacceptable?

I think part of the reason you are sort of shocked by this idea is that there is almost a cult of freedom in the Western world, America especially, where any bonds or servitude which is thought to limit the individual is viewed as intolerable. All men are free, is an axiomatic statement which describes our culture. Yet precious few use that freedom for any good. You would perhaps honestly prefer a man be free, free to be idle, free to be degenerate rather than a productive slave or servant whose self indulgent will is contained.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....what is the justification for giving the slave freedom if the slave neither desires freedom and that freedom would put him or her on the path to idleness and degeneracy?.....
Then that person can enroll in some sort of voluntary servitude.

The question tho is about ownership as property of another person. Property is not entitled to have its desires respected.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our society allows us to treat our pets as property. I think that we are stewards of them and should not think that we own them or that they are our property.

So dogs should not be bought or sold?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So dogs should not be bought or sold?
Yeah animals are an edge case.
They are property in that we can buy and sell them.
But they cannot be disposed of however we choose and are legally entitled to a certain standard of care.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟442,160.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one owns anyone like God owns them. All creation is God’s. If He chooses to give me someone, then I accept His wisdom and keep them but I still wouldn’t own them like God owns them. That wouldn’t make me immoral. Now if I treat them as I own them like God owns them, then that’s immoral. And if I take someone on my own will without God giving them to me, then that’s immoral.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then that person can enroll in some sort of voluntary servitude.

The question tho is about ownership as property of another person. Property is not entitled to have its desires respected.

Indentured servitude being a form of slavery where one subjects their will to a master is a form of slavery no? I wouldn't advocate treating people as mere property like in the classical era. But part of the point of slavery would be to curb the individual desires of some for the master's satisfaction. Yet I'm not defending cases of abuse, only offering a scenario where both parties benefit which seems to me plausible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Indentured servitude being a form of slavery where one subjects their will to a master is a form of slavery no? I wouldn't advocate treating people as mere property like in the classical era. But part of the point of slavery would be to curb the individual desires of some for the master's satisfaction. Yet I'm not defending cases of abuse, only offering a scenario where both parties benefit which seems to me plausible.
If you choose submission, thats your choice. Such an arrangement isnt chattel slavery.

If you are owned as property, the arrangement is involuntary by definition. Property doesn't get to decide "Ive had enough of this".

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't think of a moral reason to own another person as property in today's world. The Christian abolitionists were right.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟294,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If it benefit's the slave away from a degenerate and idle way of living it seems to me that in such a situation where the individual would use their freedom to their own disadvantage slavery on part of the slaver is morally acceptable.

Slavery for slackers? Sell the sinners?

I don't see the morality of this position. Would you care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Slavery for slackers? Sell the sinners?

I don't see the morality of this position. Would you care to elaborate?

If the slaves becomes a better person as a result of their servitude, how is it not moral?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟294,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If the slaves becomes a better person as a result of their servitude, how is it not moral?

'cause owning people is disgusting, and immoral, or do you disagree?

Upvote 0