• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is it ever moral to own another person as property?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Clizby WampusCat, May 31, 2021.

Is it ever moral to own another person as property?

1. Yes, it is moral in some situations

14.8%
  2. No it is never mortal.

85.2%
  1. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+588
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    You are ok with slavery because people use their freedom in a way you don't agree with? Wow. This is a scary notion. Because people in power can justify forcing slavery on others by their own subjective ideas about what the disadvantages are. I have a hard time believing that you really believe this.

2. Clizby WampusCat

+588
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I read this three times and I don't understand what it means. Can you clarify?

3. Clizby WampusCat

+588
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    The poll is about property. Property like a car that can be bought and sold, used as collateral, passed down to your kids etc.

4. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

+281
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why create a poll if you are willing to accept only one answer? That is silly.
    Make a position statement in the OP and defend it against anyone that might dare to challenge it.

5. Clizby WampusCat

+588
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I am willing to accept any answer. I did respond to the answer with the reasons why I thought it was a bad reason. Now what is your answer to the question?

6. dóxatotheó

dóxatotheó Orthodox Church Familia

+178
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    this means its immoral

7. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,919
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Can you own a dog?

8. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,449
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    If you own them, you can sell them.

Like the people trying to give away a box of infants at the entrance to the supermarket.

9. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Anti-Democratic Monarchist

+2,746
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I never said that. Your question was whether or not it can be ever moral to own a slave. If both the master and the slave benefit in the scenario I provided, what is the justification for giving the slave freedom if the slave neither desires freedom and that freedom would put him or her on the path to idleness and degeneracy? Why should this sort of circumstance, be viewed as morally unacceptable?

I think part of the reason you are sort of shocked by this idea is that there is almost a cult of freedom in the Western world, America especially, where any bonds or servitude which is thought to limit the individual is viewed as intolerable. All men are free, is an axiomatic statement which describes our culture. Yet precious few use that freedom for any good. You would perhaps honestly prefer a man be free, free to be idle, free to be degenerate rather than a productive slave or servant whose self indulgent will is contained.

10. Clizby WampusCat

+588
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Our society allows us to treat our pets as property. I think that we are stewards of them and should not think that we own them or that they are our property.

11. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,449
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Then that person can enroll in some sort of voluntary servitude.

The question tho is about ownership as property of another person. Property is not entitled to have its desires respected.

12. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,919
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    So dogs should not be bought or sold?

13. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,449
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yeah animals are an edge case.
    They are property in that we can buy and sell them.
    But they cannot be disposed of however we choose and are legally entitled to a certain standard of care.

14. GospelS

GospelS :) a land flowing with good news ✞ ✟ ✝ † Supporter

+2,031
    India
    Christian
    Single
    No one owns anyone like God owns them. All creation is God’s. If He chooses to give me someone, then I accept His wisdom and keep them but I still wouldn’t own them like God owns them. That wouldn’t make me immoral. Now if I treat them as I own them like God owns them, then that’s immoral. And if I take someone on my own will without God giving them to me, then that’s immoral.

15. Ignatius the Kiwi

+2,746
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Indentured servitude being a form of slavery where one subjects their will to a master is a form of slavery no? I wouldn't advocate treating people as mere property like in the classical era. But part of the point of slavery would be to curb the individual desires of some for the master's satisfaction. Yet I'm not defending cases of abuse, only offering a scenario where both parties benefit which seems to me plausible.

16. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,449
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    If you choose submission, thats your choice. Such an arrangement isnt chattel slavery.

If you are owned as property, the arrangement is involuntary by definition. Property doesn't get to decide "Ive had enough of this".

17. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,620
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I can't think of a moral reason to own another person as property in today's world. The Christian abolitionists were right.

18. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster On campaign in Georgia

+4,068
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Slavery for slackers? Sell the sinners?

I don't see the morality of this position. Would you care to elaborate?

19. Ignatius the Kiwi

+2,746
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If the slaves becomes a better person as a result of their servitude, how is it not moral?

20. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster On campaign in Georgia

+4,068
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    'cause owning people is disgusting, and immoral, or do you disagree?