Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey there folks

I've tried this several times on this forum already over the years. Every time though, it ended up in a beat-around-the-bush fest.

Let's see if it goes differently this time.
In this thread, I'ld like to have ID proponents to apply their "id theory" to a couple of examples and show us step by step how they conclude design (or not) using this method.

Please apply this "method" to the following objects:

A.
upload_2018-12-11_13-8-13.png

B.
upload_2018-12-11_13-11-53.png

C.
upload_2018-12-11_13-16-43.png

D.
upload_2018-12-11_13-18-14.png

Please use "ID methodology" to determine which one of these was designed and which were naturally formed.

If you can't for some reason, please explain that reason.

Note that I'm not actually that interested in the conclusions. What I'm interested in, is how you got to the conclusion! I want to see HOW ID can/should be applied. Specifically. This exercise is about a demo of the method.

I look forward to the arguments.

Tnx

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Natural" processes were also designed. In fact there is nothing 'natural' in nature. Everything that exists was designed or is the product of a process that was designed. :bow:

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Hey there folks

I've tried this several times on this forum already over the years. Every time though, it ended up in a beat-around-the-bush fest.

In this thread, I'ld like to have ID proponents to apply their "id theory" to a couple of examples and show us step by step how they conclude design (or not) using this method.

A.
View attachment 246814

B.
View attachment 246815

C.
View attachment 246816

D.
View attachment 246817

Please use "ID methodology" to determine which one of these was designed and which were naturally formed.

Note that I'm not actually that interested in the conclusions. What I'm interested in, is how you got to the conclusion! I want to see HOW ID can/should be applied. Specifically. This exercise is about a demo of the method.

Tnx
we can only be sure for image d. why? because the chance to get this shape by a natural process is extremely low. this is why we can conclude design.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been a proponent of intelligent design since the early 60s.

The cool thing about ID is that it doesn't actually require convincing anyone of anything.

However you want to conceive the mechanics of how the creation of the universe occurred...fine.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
we can only be sure for image d. why? because the chance to get this shape by a natural process is extremely low. this is why we can conclude design.

Please share your probability calculation for every picture to demonstrate this.
EDIT: also, are you saying that the chance of getting the others is high? Don't forget to support your answers with a probability calculation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

Looks like it it headed that way again.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Natural" processes were also designed. In fact there is nothing 'natural' in nature. Everything that exists was designed or is the product of a process that was designed. :bow:

That's just a useless declaration and not at all a demonstration of applying the supposedly scientific model of ID.

I think I was clear in my OP that I'm looking for an example of applying the ID methodology. I actually don't even care about the conclusions. It's all about the application of ID "theory".

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've been a proponent of intelligent design since the early 60s.

The cool thing about ID is that it doesn't actually require convincing anyone of anything.

However you want to conceive the mechanics of how the creation of the universe occurred...fine.
So, you cannot address the OP, despite nearly 60 years of being a proponent of ID..

Got it.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Natural" processes were also designed.

Assertions devoid of evidence can be, rightly, ignored or dismissed.

This isn't church - your bland, lame proclamations hold no weight here.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Did someone design example A or C to look like faces?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So, you cannot address the OP, despite nearly 60 years of being a proponent of ID..

Got it.
No, you don't get it. Neither do most ID proponents. What RDKirk is saying boils down to the fact that ID is an unfalsifiable proposition. If you are a theist you believe, one way or another, that God "designed" the universe and its contents, including us. On the other hand, that does not require that science is "wrong" or that the conclusions of science must be somehow different if God exists than if He doesn't.

The thing with IDists is that they want to prove that there is design in natural objects, because they want to shove their theology and their political agenda up our noses.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, you don't get it. Neither do most ID proponents. What RDKirk is saying boils down to the fact that ID is an unfalsifiable proposition. If you are a theist you believe, one way or another, that God "designed" the universe and its contents, including us. On the other hand, that does not require that science is "wrong" or that the conclusions of science must be somehow different if God exists than if He doesn't.

Yes, precisely.

The thing with IDists is that they want to prove that there is design in natural objects, because they want to shove their theology and their political agenda up our noses.

Which I'm happy to avoid.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

This thread is addressed at those people who claim that ID is a scientific theory and that it can be used in practical application to distinguish artificial design from natural formation.

The OP asks of those people to apply said method to the objects shown in the pictures.
Initially, I don't even care about what they conclude.

I just want to see the model being applied in practice and how that goes.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey there folks

A.
View attachment 246814

B.
View attachment 246815

C.
View attachment 246816

D.
View attachment 246817

Tnx

Cases A, B, C are designed by God. How? It goes beyond your understanding. So, don't bother.
Case D is designed by man.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Cases A, B, C are designed by God. How? It goes beyond your understanding. So, don't bother.
Case D is designed by man.

As a geologist could you not attempt to explain how B was formed, by natural forces?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Assertions devoid of evidence can be, rightly, ignored or dismissed.

This isn't church - your bland, lame proclamations hold no weight here.

I didn't expect they would. :D

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If that's true wouldn't it be in the news more.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey there folks

A.
View attachment 246814

B.
View attachment 246815

C.
View attachment 246816

D.
View attachment 246817

Tnx

Where there is purpose there is design.

Upvote 0