Is it a sin to take part in entertainment?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also to note if the bible was made into a movie (a crazy long movie) it would be rated NC-17, which is worse then R. Again not saying its an excuse to watch R rated stuff, but we must realize the bible is a VERY adult in nature. I remember one verse where a woman talks about a mans genitals and says they are the size of a donkeys genitals. I still look up that once and awhile to make sure its really in there and I'm not crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
So does the Devil. Look at the story he told Eve and she swallowed it hook line and sinker

Yes. Satan tells us many lies, among them, "You can watch that and it won't affect you." God tells us the truth--showing us how entertaining little lies gets us into trouble. He told us object lessons, in His word, about people who came to tragedy or terrible ends from committing sin. King David stayed in the palace instead of leading his men, which was what God expected of the kings of Israel. The text notes that it was customary in 2 Sam. 11:1. A little thing, but from there, David fell deeply into temptation. Had he been out with his men, he wouldn't have seen Bathsheba bathing on her rooftop. David, in particular, paid a very high price for the sin that invaded his life thereafter--so did his children and so did the nation of Israel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like church mixers, dances, and meals. I fall asleep to entertainment up on the stage. The churchy part of church is an audience in an auditorium, entertainment, and a brief lecture. ZZZzzz. Singing can be fun sometimes, but I sit down if it gets repetitive and boring. Are you not entertained?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not a sin to play basketball.

But it is a sin to "Hollywood fake" a flop to draw a charging foul where no true foul was committed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pizza is secular as well.

-CryptoLutheran

I always thought Pizza was Atheist.

Then it occurred to me that Pizza is evidence that God loves us.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Entertain yourself however your heart leads you. Let your own heart be your judge.

Proverbs 28:26
26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered.

Selah.

• Agree
Reactions: LadyCrosstalk
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I recently learned that sexually explicit, violent and any kind of immoral entertainment is a sin. But what about entertainment itself? It is secular, so I'm wondering if it is bad to take part in all forms of entertainment.

All forms of entertainment? Some entertain themselves with watching beautiful sunsets. Is this an evil thing, watching and enjoying the glorious sunsets God has made? Some entertain themselves with romantic moments with their spouse. Is this evil? Did God not make couples to enjoy romantic relations with each other? Some entertain themselves with building cabinets and chairs, or painting landscapes, or playing with their pet. Do you honestly believe such activities are evil? I doubt it. God made us capable of enjoying a great many things. If these things distract from or compete with enjoying God, or lead us into sin, then they should be forsaken. Otherwise, I think it honors God to take pleasure in the things He made us capable of enjoying.

Selah.

• Agree
Reactions: LadyCrosstalk
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 28:26
26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered.

Selah.
Romans 10:10
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 17:9-10
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
10 I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

Mark 7:20-23
20 And He said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.
23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man."

Selah.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 17:9-10
9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
10 I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

Mark 7:20-23
20 And He said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.
23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man."

Selah.

Psalms 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

I didn't try to sense any negativity in the heart of the Poster.....Just gave my opinion. The above is possible and i respect your opinion if you disagree.

Matthews 12:35
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I recently learned that sexually explicit, violent and any kind of immoral entertainment is a sin. But what about entertainment itself? It is secular, so I'm wondering if it is bad to take part in all forms of entertainment.

There is some forms of "entertainment" usually adult, that are immoral, and therefore, sinful, rather, it could lead people into sin--in all parts of the production, from the screenwriter to the actors to the viewers.

However, there are also things like Disney Cartoons, or even Laurel and Hardy, that are just plain fun. There are tons of movies, books, audio recordings, etc. that are going to be somewhere in between. Alice in Wonderland? The Grimm Brother's fairy tales? I remember a radio station I was working at that would say only certain songs on a record could be played, but on the FM side, they were broadcasting full operas, like Carmen, which includes witchcraft and murder in the plot. Because they were opera, they were considered "wholesome." I defy anyone to tell me that Don Giovanni by Mozart is more wholesome than All in the Family.

I am not able to judge these things, because we are commanded not to judge. But usually, if it is good entertainment, like Le Miserables, it doesn't need sex to sell it.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think if it's not to give God the glory in some way in what your doing it could be classed as a sin. The time you could be devoting to Him instead. Pray about it and see if God can use it? Or you to do something at the same time.

I'm not saying it is sinful but I am bearing in mind 1 John 2:16 and Romans 14:23

Also you are probably best placed to work this out. You know your heart relationship with the Lord. He could easily use you in this role.

Technically if that's the case wouldn't the only movie's we could watch be religious movies like Passion of the Christ?

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Technically if that's the case wouldn't the only movie's we could watch be religious movies like Passion of the Christ?
I watch one hr of tv a week in total because I believe this and thats because my teen son watches a program with me. I wouldn't judge another christian for watching mild tv though. But we are a product of what we feed our minds and hearts.

I feel I spend too much time on here too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But Jesus never lived on Earth during a time where there was electricity and technology either...
The Biblical moral principles which Jesus followed and exemplified aren't affected by technological sophistication. If indeed they were, then we would have to claim that the Ten commandments are out of date because we now have cell phones or TV and can fly on airplanes at Mach three.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,757.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the entertainment in question affects your conscience then perhaps it is immoral for someone to see it. People react differently to violence or sexually explicit stuff. I've never had a problem with violence (to a certain degree) but sexually explicit content is something I know I should stay away from.

It depends on the content and how it is used within the specific medium. One show for instance can use violence effectively and non gratuitously, another can use that violence to make a point about the harshness of war or some other theme, others just use it for a cheap thrill and shock. Same goes with sexuality and sexual content.

It certainty isn't bad to take part in all entertainment, it just requires discernment. Ultimately it isn't either of these elements that matter, but the type of worldview the movie is trying to reinforce. Consider the recent movie Silence, which is based off a book I at first liked, yet upon hearing some commentary on it and it's implications lead me to be a little more skeptical towards the message of the story.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Biblical moral principles which Jesus followed and exemplified aren't affected by technological sophistication. If indeed they were, then we would have to claim that the Ten commandments are out of date because we now have cell phones or TV and can fly on airplanes at Mach three.

But...I can't see Jesus doing anything anybody does nowadays in the modern world. Except pray. But if all you do is pray then you will be homeless or living off somebody. (Which I don't think God would want that either.)

So while you shouldn't do any explicitly sinful activities, I think moderation is key.

Upvote 0