Is it a sin to take part in entertainment?

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I recently learned that sexually explicit, violent and any kind of immoral entertainment is a sin. But what about entertainment itself? It is secular, so I'm wondering if it is bad to take part in all forms of entertainment.
No. There are appropriate forms of entertainment at appropriate times.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recently learned that sexually explicit, violent and any kind of immoral entertainment is a sin. But what about entertainment itself? It is secular, so I'm wondering if it is bad to take part in all forms of entertainment.
The key is your conscience, isn't it?

On the one hand you don't want other people to give you a shopping list of their opinions that are simply opinions rather than what the Word of God says.

On the other had, if we profess to know the Lord Jesus by faith, we are admitting that the God Whom we serve is holy.

Romans 14 is a useful chapter about Christian liberty.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it comes down to: if you don't think it's wrong based on what the Bible says, then you can go for it. You just have to determine, "Is this against what God wants for me?" If it is, then avoid those things. If not, I don't see anything wrong with a little entertainment.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think if it's not to give God the glory in some way in what your doing it could be classed as a sin. The time you could be devoting to Him instead. Pray about it and see if God can use it? Or you to do something at the same time.

I'm not saying it is sinful but I am bearing in mind 1 John 2:16 and Romans 14:23

Also you are probably best placed to work this out. You know your heart relationship with the Lord. He could easily use you in this role.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think if it's not to give God the glory in some way in what your doing it could be classed as a sin. The time you could be devoting to Him instead. Pray about it and see if God can use it? Or you to do something at the same time.

I'm not saying it is sinful but I am bearing in mind 1 John 2:16 and Romans 14:23
Some good thoughts! :)

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think its fine to participate in safe forms of entertainment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is one of those subjects thats subjective on what the Holy Spirit tells you. For exmaple I'll watch R rated movies. But I won't see movies with nudity in them because they affect me and make me tempted to go back to my old addiction of inappropriate content. And I won't see movies that have excess swearing (like 100 swears) because I used to swear alot. So as you see I know these things affect me, the Holy Spirit is pushing it on me to avoid them. So I do. But a little swearing, blood, violence...etc doesn't affect me, thus I will watch it.

Now, is it a sin to watch what I do watch then? I'd say not per say. Its not something I probably should watch, but since its not a sin I do not worry about it to much.

Another good example is this debate could be about meat/veggies. People always argue about "the bible says" or "You shouldn't eat this because...". But the truth is the bible says people can eat both and one shouldn't tell another what they should eat/not eat just because they have a view against something. Hence the Holy Spirit comes into play.

One other thing I will add is that some will say we are supporting the movie industry and its sin. Problem with that line is we support sin every single day. I'm not just talking about our daily mess ups. The clothes we own... made by workers who are abused and barley paid. The technology we used... made by the same people who commit suicide because of work conditions. The food we buy... made by companies who are inhumane and use some of the money to support sinful things. I could go on but you get my drift.

This doesn't mean we should just do everything since its unavoidable to support something bad. But it does mean there is a line between being not supportive of the world and just being a bit to extreme to the point of almost being a bit "out there" even to other christians. Because to truly not support the world we would basically have to live in a cave in the middle of no where with nothing bought (food, clothes...etc) and just make our own food from a garden. Which I doubt many do. Even the amish have given into some of the world to exist. Some own modern items and even a phone, especially the ones that have a buisness that involves selling to us "english".

• Agree
Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Paul gives these as a common rule:

”All things are lawful for me," but not all things are expedient. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be brought under the power of anything.
1 Corinthians 6:12

"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are profitable. "All things are lawful for me," but not all things build up."
1 Corinthians 10:23

I have understood that sin basically is that you reject God. If you don’t reject God and remain in connection with Him, you have no sin. And anything that makes you reject God, becomes sin also. If you don’t reject God because of the entertainment, it is not a sin. But even if something is not a sin, it may not be good for you. That depends very much about the what is the matter.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Pizza is secular as well. As are automobiles, taking out the garbage, and wearing clothes.

Secular =/= sin

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: quantumlight
Upvote 0

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Think of it like wandering away from the safe house. There is a good chance you get lost, and don't come back. That being said we all do it, and there is always at least one way back to that safe house (1 Corinthians 10:13). God might appreciate it most if you didn't leave the house at all though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you can't imagine Jesus entertaining himself that way, then avoid it.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.

1 Peter 2:21
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,

Upvote 0

quantumlight

Jan 3, 2017
south
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been sick of comedians who every other word is criticizing God, God's people, or saying, "g-d" (which, technically, isn't what God meant in the Torah when he said not to blaspheme). Most unbelievers don't even know how to blaspheme; it is supposed believers who do, through word and deed. So, I do not judge other believers in their liberty on what to watch on tv or at the movies. There are cheesy movies with seemingly no redeeming moral value, yet they are clean; there are Disney movies that are "clean," yet Disney was a known occultist and Mason; and by contrast, there are secular movies geared more toward adults that I would rather watch or rather a child or teen watch because of the message of human spirit, God's love prevailing, artistic value, or other redeeming qualities. There is no hard and fast blanket rule and people that require black and white answers (like the friend of mine that calls the tv a "trash vendor" and refuses to have it in his home) are also acceptable as Christians but should not use their wield their conscience or decisions as hammers over others any more than we should misuse our liberties in Christ. There is room for all at the cross and this is why God gave us all brains, choices, thoughts, feelings, ears to hear and mouths to discuss amongst ourselves. I'm troubled when someone tells me they cannot possibly be a believer because they won't fit the mold of what a particular church, pastor, or Christian believes about a nonessential issue. Jesus wouldn't turn that person away and neither should we.

Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian

I have a cousin who used a brilliant strategy with her teenage children when they wanted to see films with immoral themes. She often noted that Jesus definitely opposed hypocrisy and say, "Would Jesus sit next to you and watch this movie? If you can convince me that He would, then you may go. In fact, if you can convince me, I will go with you and then we can discuss it afterward." It was an object lesson in avoiding hypocrisy. It kept her children away from activities that would do damage to their Christian walk and destroy their witness to their friends and family. Her children now are vital Christians and practicing the faith in front of their children. (They use the same arguments with their children--to their teenagers' chagrin ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EatingPie

Blueberry!
Mar 31, 2005
Visit site
✟4,703.00
Faith
Christian
A few brief thoughts sparked by other posts...

If you can't imagine Jesus entertaining himself that way, then avoid it.
Jesus told stories.

For exmaple I'll watch R rated movies.
Anndd... The highest grossing domestic R-rated release of all time? The Passion of the Christ

It really boils down to what the Spirit is revealing to you. If He is saying "don't see that movie, hear that music..etc" than you need to listen.
Annnddd... I have nothing to add to this. :)

-Pie

• Agree
Reactions: LadyCrosstalk
Upvote 0