is it a sin to drink alcohol?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So...did they or did they not drink wine in the Bible? If not...was it grape juice, grape vinegar or what?

people who drink and approve of drinking say they did.

people who don't drink and don't approve of drinking say they didn't.

they might have, but there are so many bad effects, and virtually if not literally no good effects, ... well...

there are even a lot of bad effects(on others) just
from
approving of drinking, let alone actually being seen drinking and the effects of drinking being seen.

since it does and can badly influence any one of a number of other little children and young adults
................IF
they see you drink or know you approve of drinking,

then I don't see how anyone dare try to justify drinking in God's Presence!
(He is VERY Zealous watching what people do to the little ones who seek HIM, and how people affect them! )

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So...did they or did they not drink wine in the Bible? If not...was it grape juice, grape vinegar or what?

oh that whole argument is not even worth the time .
as it still is not in the bible that drinking alcohol in any form is "sin" ..only that it is wise to avoid doing so .(unless the lord tel you personally not to ..or you've taken a vow not to ..but even then the sin would not be drinking wine it would be breaking the vow

the argument that it is grape-juice is weak and the tradition of wine making rather ancient to say the least

"And Noah began [to be]
an husbandman, and he
planted a vineyard:
And he drank of the wine
and became drunken -- ......."

guess his grape juice was pretty punchy .
there is an after thought if one is sensible ..if it was only grape juice they needed ..they would have gone and squeezed some ..to come up with wine from the grapes immediately -now that would take a miracle!

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
people who drink and approve of drinking say they did.

people who don't drink and don't approve of drinking say they didn't.

they might have, but there are so many bad effects, and virtually if not literally no good effects, ... well...

there are even a lot of bad effects(on others) just
from
approving of drinking, let alone actually being seen drinking and the effects of drinking being seen.

since it does and can badly influence any one of a number of other little children and young adults
................IF
they see you drink or know you approve of drinking,

then I don't see how anyone dare try to justify drinking in God's Presence!
(He is VERY Zealous watching what people do to the little ones who seek HIM, and how people affect them! )

:amen::amen::amen:

"Don't look at wine... Don't look at it... don't look at it." {Proverbs 23:31 NIrV}

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like it was real wine. The technique for pasteurizing grape juice had not been invented yet and only came about much later in history.

So Jesus drank wine...I don't see what all of the fuss in about.

me neither ..
if we obey the Holy Spirit as he instructs us in our life ..we do well
if we disobey .we sin .

if we admit (confess) our sin he is faithful and just to forgive us and cleans us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it is very nearly impossible given Jesus who He was and who He was responsible to and for,
that Jesus ever drank any alcoholic drink at all. or His disciples.

pasteurization is a very bad thing today - of grape juice , of milk / dairy products, and for many many other natural whole foods.... it is part of the process of recent years that has destroyed the health of millions of peoples immune systems and led to many plagues in the usa and abroad.

Israel had way back then and longer ago the world's best grape juice - you've never seen it so good ! (unless you get a chance to go today to Israel in person, if they have allowed the good(healthy, nourishing, delicious) grape juice to be produced).....

and, btw, it took time, some amount of time - at the wedding they could not just go get some .... no...

Looks like it was real wine. The technique for pasteurizing grape juice had not been invented yet and only came about much later in history.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it is very nearly impossible given Jesus who He was and who He was responsible to and for,
that Jesus ever drank any alcoholic drink at all. or His disciples.

pasteurization is a very bad thing today - of grape juice , of milk / dairy products, and for many many other natural whole foods.... it is part of the process of recent years that has destroyed the health of millions of peoples immune systems and led to many plagues in the usa and abroad.

Israel had way back then and longer ago the world's best grape juice - you've never seen it so good ! (unless you get a chance to go today to Israel in person, if they have allowed the good(healthy, nourishing, delicious) grape juice to be produced).....

and, btw, it took time, some amount of time - at the wedding they could not just go get some .... no...

pure assumption .
let me add some assumption that refutes your assumption lol
-and we must laugh because in this kind of conversation-where there is no absolute direct written instruction in the bible - it is honest to keep a light heartedness about it .-

the wine at passover ...this is my blood ...
why is the wine used as representation of blood ?
#1 because it is drinkable (anyone who say its becomes blood speaks utter nonsense with disregard to all god has spoken against drinking actual blood)
AND #2 because it is RED .. as in REDok not bright red like that but deep red .. but all the same RED ...- like blood

now go squeeze a red grape .. the juice is clear .. as in CLEAR cloudy tinted hazy ..
it is turned red by the contact of the red skin of the grape during fermentation.. a fermented grape pulp forms alcohol .white wine is sometimes made from red grapes .(that's all fact as iv been informed )

thus i surmise (correctly i believe ) that the Lord Jesus gave a cup of RED WINE (not juice ) to his disciples at pass over .
it is also NOT impossible or even nearly impossible that Jesus drank wine (wine is an alcoholic substance )
to be frank i find that suggestion really stretching it - as it was the lord himself that said" it is not what goes into a man that defiles him".... so how could it even be remotely impossible for him to partake of wine ? we must reason fairly if we are to reason at all .

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

SuperLuey

Nov 3, 2012
✟15,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
unless the lord is telling you -personally to abstain - then to you personally it becomes a sin .not because it is alcohol but because you are not obeying the Holy Spirit

i feel this a strong enough point o repeat over and over and over lol

this does not apply to sexual immorality ,drinking/eating blood ,things strangled or food offerd to idols -thank you for listening

^ this.
That said... Be moderate in all things. Its wisdom. Wisdom is good. ^_^

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟18,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yeshuaslavejeff said:
...pasteurization is a very bad thing today - of grape juice , of milk / dairy products, and for many many other natural whole foods.... it is part of the process of recent years that has destroyed the health of millions of peoples immune systems and led to many plagues in the usa and abroad.
???

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"for profit" (sheer greed) it is just about the biggest cover up in the last 117 years.

to see the tip of the iceberg, search "white poisons" and "history of the fda" with and without quotes.

be prepared for what may be the biggest shock of your life so far, whether you are young or old......

per other posts: as far as 'assumptions (about the wine vs juice), no way, forget it.
... if you want to check and re-check the facts, and in line with the Bible,
go get a copy of "sipping saints" by david wilkerson.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"for profit" (sheer greed) it is just about the biggest cover up in the last 117 years.

to see the tip of the iceberg, search "white poisons" and "history of the fda" with and without quotes.

be prepared for what may be the biggest shock of your life so far, whether you are young or old......

per other posts: as far as 'assumptions (about the wine vs juice), no way, forget it.
... if you want to check and re-check the facts, and in line with the Bible,
go get a copy of "sipping saints" by david wilkerson.
does dave cover the topic of clear not red grape juice being used to represent the blood? -if not he has missed the basics of reasoning.-
also in the little i have read of his point..he does not say to drink is sin ..he is saying it is a rotten terrible witness -and the manner in which some Christians drink,he is absolutely right.
remember,you are talking to a person who feels full freedom to partake of wine -but-is presently being told to not do so,by the lord.
just so you see where im coming from.

so to say -it is unwise to drink and as a christian it is best avoided -is good and wise advice.
to say it is good to be sober always- is good and wise advice.
to say folks who pull out beer from their car-boot after church for a carpark lunch is a terrible witness and brings shame on the gospel... is fully correct.

but to say -it is sin-,has no scriptural basis and is not honest.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
does dave cover the topic of clear not red grape juice being used to represent the blood? -if not he has missed the basics of reasoning.-
also in the little i have read of his point..he does not say to drink is sin ..he is saying it is a rotten terrible witness -and the manner in which some Christians drink,he is absolutely right.
remember,you are talking to a person who feels full freedom to partake of wine -but-is presently being told to not do so,by the lord.
just so you see where im coming from.

so to say -it is unwise to drink and as a christian it is best avoided -is good and wise advice.
to say it is good to be sober always- is good and wise advice.
to say folks who pull out beer from their car-boot after church for a carpark lunch is a terrible witness and brings shame on the gospel... is fully correct.

but to say -it is sin-,has no scriptural basis and is not honest.
add-

A recent poll revealed that 81% of all Catholics now drink and 64% of all Protestants. These shocking figures keep mounting higher each month. The permissive attitude toward social drinking is fast creeping even into the most conservative, evangelical church circles.

an even higher percent watch movies with sinfull sexual immorality portrayed -which Is named as SIN.... lol and some say to call the western church lukewarm is an unfair accusation... go figure they would say that.

so again-the spirit of mr Wilkinsons message-i fully agree with.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
hmmm... i just now read the op, and it's not as expected.
you have a lot more to be concerned with, from what you said,
than drinking.
(it is a sin, usually if not always - even if just because it hurts the conscience of another.
much more than that of course, but you'll have to seek Yhwh first, totally, to get permission to know.)

I went to church last night at a different church and was a little confused about alcohol because jesus drank. well I asked the preacher and he said it was not a sin to drink and that it was only a sin to get drunk. well I went to call my preacher at my church and he said that it was a sin to drink and that jesus didn't drink real alcohol. well I looked at a bible verse and it said "do not get drunk off wine, for that is debauchery. but be filled with the spirit" that was English standard version. another one said for us not to drink. so I'm confused. jesus said to drink and not get drunk but then he says for us not to drink. and plus, a preacher told me it wasn't a sin. and I listen to a lot of Christian bands and one of my favorite is called the almost and they all drink beer. another one of my favorites is these hearts. they drink beer too. and the devil wears prada. they drink too. and I think the lead singer of skillet does too. so what's up? is it a sin? I was raised and taught that it was a sin but obviously i'm getting proved wrong.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
hmmm... i just now read the op, and it's not as expected.
you have a lot more to be concerned with, from what you said,
than drinking.
(it is a sin, usually if not always - even if just because it hurts the conscience of another.
much more than that of course, but you'll have to seek Yhwh first, totally, to get permission to know.)

really you think you have to see God to know His will? Glad that's not true or we all would be completely lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I agree seems to me people don't want to face that reality so it is easier to call it grape juice. That is not what scripture says and it is wrong to change scripture, but I guess if it helps you sleep at night. Not that it is a big deal Jesus drank we are allowed to drink we have freedom in Christ to drink but not be drunks it really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟18,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bella Vita said:
I agree seems to me people don't want to face that reality so it is easier to call it grape juice. That is not what scripture says and it is wrong to change scripture, but I guess if it helps you sleep at night. Not that it is a big deal Jesus drank we are allowed to drink we have freedom in Christ to drink but not be drunks it really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.
I have never been drunk but even I can tell the difference between someone having a glass of wine for dinner and them gulping down a whole bottle of vodka. I don't drink but I have heard that a glass of red wine a day may have certain health benefits. I think people in the bible may have been on to something there. If only I could get passed the bitterness and burning sensation;-)

As for non-alcoholic wines...I don't think they were around 2000 years ago. Fermentation is a very natural process. Plus I hear the alcohol helped kill some of the pathogens found in that warm climate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I do not fear booze,could I down a double shot yes do I no.

I have used it in the past,but if fear keeps me from it my Faith surely is weak.

It's funny one of the old church cures for chest cold is whisky and honey,guess some people are sick a lot.

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not fear booze,could I down a double shot yes do I no.

I have used it in the past,but if fear keeps me from it my Faith surely is weak.

It's funny one of the old church cures for chest cold is whisky and honey,guess some people are sick a lot.

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
-in a nut shell - so to speak

i was going to say there ya have it in a shot glass ,,but some might not appreciate the quip hehe

Upvote 0