Is it a sin for a Christian to be involved in MMA?

Is it a sin for a Christian to be involved in MMA?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Not a sin but it's certainly not beneficial for a Christian either

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tough call

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
MMA is sport fighting, I don't see how that is sinful. I don't see how turning the other cheek is any more applicable to it than it is to a game of checkers.

The trash talking that a number of fighters do, that's sin. But there are other fighters that weren't really known for that. Rich Franklin, a Christian, was known as one of the nicest guys in MMA back when he was still fighting.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's like asking if it would have been OK for a Christian to have willingly participated as a gladiator or chosen to make money by training gladiators.

Proverbs 3:31
New International Version
Do not envy the violent or choose any of their ways.

Isaiah 1:15
"So when you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide My eyes from you; Yes, even though you multiply prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what I'm seeking right now, answers from God - what better then to prod consciences and hearts of other believers? I haven't got an answer yet. Although I expect some bad answers in here, I hope there might be some answer that "speaks".

The Spirit guides, but it's not always through emotions and such, as some things are sometimes unclear.
There is nothing unclear in the scriptures already shared

You replied that you hear Jesus..
But you dont listen .
You just wanted to hear what you desired the answer to be.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes you know all and understand everything.I got it.
Very kind of you to say..but its not the case.
Just a lot more then you yet realize.
To recieve instruction is a Huge part of learning to be a disciple of the Lord Jesus

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: real tree
Upvote 0

infinity25

May 14, 2017
JUNCTION CITY/KANSAS
✟7,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First, false claims of whether or not I add to God's Word can only be shown by you actually proving your case with Scripture and not by you simply stating that such is so. Second, I see that you really desire to debate with me in regards to God's Word on several topics (because you replied to me alot). However, yesterday God decided to talk to my heart not to say anything to you and other people (Who desire to see what they want to see). For my goal is to plant seeds and to water with God's Word, and it is God who gives the increase. Granted, I was more than capable of being able to debate with you yesterday, but God sometimes tells me to not to write. For just debating always does not always help all people. Anyways, seeing you really want to think you are right on God's Word, I will in this instance reply to your error of misinterpreting the text in Romans 13 to show you what the Bible really says plainly here.

Okay here we go.

Romans 13 says,

1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour."
(Romans 13:1-7).

Verse 1 says, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers."
Who are those that are mentioned as "every soul" here in verse 1?
Who are the higher powers?

Every soul would be every person living on this planet.
The higher powers would be government authorities.

How so?

Verse 4 tells you the reader (Who is a believer) the following,

"But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

In other words, if a believer does evil, they should be afraid, because the government they live does not bear the sword in vain, they are God's ministers of justice to execute wrath upon those who do evil. God's ministers of justice is not the Christian (Who is the reader receiving this message) but it is another entity (Which would be the government or "higher powers"). Christians are not the ..."higher powers." Christians are not God's ministers of wrath upon those who do evil. For we believers (the reader) are told to be afraid if we do evil. Also, Jesus says, "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matthew 5:44).

In the Old Testament, God used the pagan nation of Assyria to be an arm of justice against the people of Israel because of their sins. Assyria was at one time, God's minister of justice to execute wrath on even God's people at one time in history.

How convenient to quote the Old Testament to fit your own narrative, yet when someone else does this you say that it the Old Law and no longer applies. You mention that God used the pagan nation of Assyria as an arm of justice. Yet you fail to mention that God also used believers such as David, Joshua, Sampson and others as a arm of Justice all whom were believers. You will probably twist this and say that was then and that does not apply today to fit your own narrative. You have still failed to show that believers can not fill the roles mentioned in Romans 13;1-7. No where does it specifically state that believers can not fill these roles. Twist however you want but you have no valid argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How convenient to quote the Old Testament to fit your own narrative, yet when someone else does this you say that it the Old Law and no longer applies. You mention that God used the pagan nation of Assyria as an arm of justice. Yet you fail to mention that God also used believers such as David, Joshua, Sampson and others as a arm of Justice all whom were believers. You will probably twist this and say that was then and that does not apply today to fit your own narrative. You have still failed to show that believers can not fill the roles mentioned in Romans 13;1-7. No where does it specifically state that believers can not fill these roles. Twist however you want but you have no valid argument.

There are many truths in the Old Testament that are still true for the New Testament. Unless of course you want to deny Messianic prophecies, and Typifications of Christ in the Old Testament. Also, there are moral laws in the Old Testament that have carried over into the New Covenant. Moral laws like, "Do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery, etc. So just because a truth exists in the Old, does not mean that it cannot exist in the New Covenant. For after all, is God not the same God in both the Old and the New Covenants?

But not all truths from the Old Covenant applies today. We do not sacrifice animals anymore under the New Covenant. The New Testament is clear that there is a change in regards to a person in desiring to carry out justice by their own hand. Jesus says,

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:38-39).

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:43-45).

As for Romans 13:
Well, in light of Jesus's commands on non-violence when you read Romans 13, it is obvious what a believer's position should be. The believer is not a part of the "higher powers of authority" in the topic of conversation in Romans 13. To assume that a believer is a part of the "higher powers of authority" destroys what Romans 13 is saying because the reader (Who is a believer) is supposed to respect these "higher powers of authority" by not doing evil so as to be punished by them. Nothing is said about how the believer can join them. Huge assumptions are made that one can do so based on Romans 13. But we know from Jesus's commands in Matthew 5 and elsewhere and from the words of His followers that non-violence is what Jesus desires of His people under the New Covenant.

New Testament Scripture That Supports Pacifism:

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Matthew 26:52-53
52 Then Jesus told him, "Put your sword back in its place because all who take up a sword will perish by a sword.
53 Or do you think that I cannot call on My Father, and He will provide Me at once with more than 12 legions of angels?

Matthew 5:44-45
44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 6:27-29
27 But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.
29 If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also;

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, Do not make use of force against an evil man; but to him who gives you ablow on the right side of your face let the left be turned. -Bible in Basic English

Luke 12:22 And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat, nor about your body, what you shall put on.

Matthew 7:12 In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

1 Peter 3:8-9
8 Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love of the brethren, a tender heart and a humble mind.
9 Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Romans 12:17-21
17 Never repay anyone evil for evil. Take thought for what is right and gracious and proper in the sight of everyone. - AMP
18 and do your best to live at peace with everyone. - CEV
19 Christian brothers, never pay back someone for the bad he has done to you. Let the anger of God take care of the other person. - NLV for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. - KJV

1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.

1 Peter 2:21-23
21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
22 He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips.
23 When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he trusted to him who judges justly.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Corinthians 10:4 We do not use those things to fight with that the world uses. We use the things God gives to fight with and they have power. Those things God gives to fight with destroy the strong-places of the devil.

Luke 3:14 Do violence to no man,

John 8:7 But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Matthew 10:28-31
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will.
30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

James 3:18 The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace.

Romans 10:15. How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore . . . having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 4:1-3
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord

Romans 16:20 The God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren ... be perfected; be comforted; be of the same mind; live in peace: and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

Galatians 1:13 - For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it.

2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution

1 Peter 4:12-16
12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind...

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

1 Corinthians 13:3 - and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.

Philippians 1:21 - For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how it is a sin. If you were using your skills to pick fights or beat up people that didn't want to fight that would be a sin. However in controlled conditions with willing participants and referees, it is just another sport. Also I think that MMA is actually safer than many other sports; apparently including cheer leading.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 10:4 We do not use those things to fight with that the world uses. We use the things God gives to fight with and they have power. Those things God gives to fight with destroy the strong-places of the devil.

Upvote 0

infinity25

May 14, 2017
JUNCTION CITY/KANSAS
✟7,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are many truths in the Old Testament that are still true for the New Testament. Unless of course you want to deny Messianic prophecies, and Typifications of Christ in the Old Testament. Also, there are moral laws in the Old Testament that have carried over into the New Covenant. Moral laws like, "Do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery, etc. So just because a truth exists in the Old, does not mean that it cannot exist in the New Covenant. For after all, is God not the same God in both the Old and the New Covenants?

But not all truths from the Old Covenant applies today. We do not sacrifice animals anymore under the New Covenant. The New Testament is clear that there is a change in regards to a person in desiring to carry out justice by their own hand. Jesus says,

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:38-39).

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (Matthew 5:43-45).

As for Romans 13:
Well, in light of Jesus's commands on non-violence when you read Romans 13, it is obvious what a believer's position should be. The believer is not a part of the "higher powers of authority" in the topic of conversation in Romans 13. To assume that a believer is a part of the "higher powers of authority" destroys what Romans 13 is saying because the reader (Who is a believer) is supposed to respect these "higher powers of authority" by not doing evil so as to be punished by them. Nothing is said about how the believer can join them. Huge assumptions are made that one can do so based on Romans 13. But we know from Jesus's commands in Matthew 5 and elsewhere and from the words of His followers that non-violence is what Jesus desires of His people under the New Covenant.

New Testament Scripture That Supports Pacifism:

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Matthew 26:52-53
52 Then Jesus told him, "Put your sword back in its place because all who take up a sword will perish by a sword.
53 Or do you think that I cannot call on My Father, and He will provide Me at once with more than 12 legions of angels?

Matthew 5:44-45
44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 6:27-29
27 But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.
29 If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also;

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, Do not make use of force against an evil man; but to him who gives you ablow on the right side of your face let the left be turned. -Bible in Basic English

Luke 12:22 And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat, nor about your body, what you shall put on.

Matthew 7:12 In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

1 Peter 3:8-9
8 Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love of the brethren, a tender heart and a humble mind.
9 Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Romans 12:17-21
17 Never repay anyone evil for evil. Take thought for what is right and gracious and proper in the sight of everyone. - AMP
18 and do your best to live at peace with everyone. - CEV
19 Christian brothers, never pay back someone for the bad he has done to you. Let the anger of God take care of the other person. - NLV for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. - KJV

1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.

1 Peter 2:21-23
21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
22 He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips.
23 When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he trusted to him who judges justly.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Luke 3:14 Do violence to no man,

John 8:7 But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Matthew 10:28-31
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will.
30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

James 3:18 The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace.

Romans 10:15. How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore . . . having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 4:1-3
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord

Romans 16:20 The God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren ... be perfected; be comforted; be of the same mind; live in peace: and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

Galatians 1:13 - For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it.

2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution

1 Peter 4:12-16
12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind...

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

1 Corinthians 13:3 - and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.

Philippians 1:21 - For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Your right nothing in Roman 13 says nothing about believers in joining positions of Government, it also doesn't say that believers can not serve in Government. Your saying it. You will not convince me that Christians can not serve in higher positions of authority. There are not two different laws, one for believers and one for non believers. If it is wrong for a believer to work in these roles it is wrong for a non believer also, which it is not wrong because they do not bear the sword in vain. You will not convince me and you can not show me that our president, congress, senate, police and military should be filled with godless heathens.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's like asking if it would have been OK for a Christian to have willingly participated as a gladiator or chosen to make money by training gladiators.
Gladiatorial combat was weaponed and to the death. Big difference between that and MMA, which has multiple safeguards to protect the lives of the contenders in matches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Mixed Martial Arts).

Is it a sin?

I mean if you read the part of commandment no. 2 being to love thy neighbor, and the other one about turning the other cheek, it is hard to justify it, unless you can *honestly* say neither party is offended at the end.

Upvote 0