Is it a sin for a Christian to be involved in MMA?

Is it a sin for a Christian to be involved in MMA?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Not a sin but it's certainly not beneficial for a Christian either

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tough call

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
(Mixed Martial Arts).

Is it a sin?

Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:26 said "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:" and used a fighting sport (boxing, in this case) as a metaphor for a Christian's race.

This seemingly condones boxing as an OK thing in my eyes, else why would he use something that's sinful in God's eyes as a metaphor for the Christian race?

What about MMA? It's definitely more bloodier and raw then boxing is, for many reasons, but it's still a fighting sport just the same as boxing. Still has rules to ensure safety.

Anyway just an idea of mine that I might join up a gym, so was seeking out other's opinions beforehand... maybe something will pop out at me and give me a definitive no or maybe something will say yes.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if you have to ask of men ... then YES .. it is a sin it is a " missing of the mark " .. it is of the world it is of pride it is of .

that is to say ..we are to acknowledge the lord in all things ,commit our way to him and he directs our path . so if a person just goes and does whatever he wills to do then he is walking in "his own ways " and not listening to and obeying Jesus ..he said my sheep "hear" my voice and i know them and they follow me . they don't go there own way and do their own thing . they love him and seek always to do HIS will not self will .

the verses used of "beating the air " is a stretch to say the least .. if you've observed someone beating the air you will see how utterly ridiculous that looks and how futile the action.. which is the point he is making . it is in NO way a reference to violence of worldly sport or a validation of it .

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Mixed Martial Arts).

Is it a sin?

Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:26 said "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:" and used a fighting sport (boxing, in this case) as a metaphor for a Christian's race.

This seemingly condones boxing as an OK thing in my eyes, else why would he use something that's sinful in God's eyes as a metaphor for the Christian race?

What about MMA? It's definitely more bloodier and raw then boxing is, for many reasons, but it's still a fighting sport just the same as boxing. Still has rules to ensure safety.

Anyway just an idea of mine that I might join up a gym, so was seeking out other's opinions beforehand... maybe something will pop out at me and give me a definitive no or maybe something will say yes.
Does the Spirit He gave you, tell you its OK?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does the Spirit He gave you, tell you its OK?
That's what I'm seeking right now, answers from God - what better then to prod consciences and hearts of other believers? I haven't got an answer yet. Although I expect some bad answers in here, I hope there might be some answer that "speaks".

The Spirit guides, but it's not always through emotions and such, as some things are sometimes unclear.

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
David and Jonathan must have been wicked sinners for practicing their fighting skills. [emoji56]

Personally, I don't think martial arts is something to fret over. Pride, gossip, lying, neglecting the widows and orphans, etc., are issues to hone in on. Learning how to defend against attack...not so much.
Trust God's grace and don't sweat the gray areas.

Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
(Mixed Martial Arts).

Is it a sin?

I personally don't think it's a problem, you can use that as a Gospel opportunity to preach to other people you meet in the profession. Remember we do all things for the Lord, so we look to see how we can serve God wherever He places us, and preach the good news of Jesus.

What I would disagree with, however, is using those verses to justify MMA as acceptable. It's a conscience issue, I don't see how it conflicts with Scripture, but neither could you point to those verses in support.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I personally don't think it's a problem, you can use that as a Gospel opportunity to preach to other people you meet in the profession. Remember we do all things for the Lord, so we look to see how we can serve God wherever He places us, and preach the good news of Jesus.

What I would disagree with, however, is using those verses to justify MMA as acceptable. It's a conscience issue, I don't see how it conflicts with Scripture, but neither could you point to those verses in support.
True, I shouldn't be so quick to say that condones combat sports - it was more an idea than anything else, but you're right.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what I'm seeking right now, answers from God - what better then to prod consciences and hearts of other believers? I haven't got an answer yet. Although I expect some bad answers in here, I hope there might be some answer that "speaks".

The Spirit guides, but it's not always through emotions and such, as some things are sometimes unclear.
i think in honesty ..what your mean is you hope to be given the Answer that is pleasing to you regardless of the word of God .you have predetermined i your heart what you desire according to your own will and now want a justification for going your own way . as others have asked .. Is the holy Spirit telling you to do so ? have your acknowledge him it it ?
some say to self justify ..it may be a good opportunity to share the gospel .. do you do so daily in every situation you can ?..do you take the opportunities you already have ? if not .then there is no reason you will do so in that practice either .

time to get real with God ..he does not look on the outer appearance but searched the heart .. he know the true motive. so we COME to the light that our deeds may be exposed whether they are of god or not . ..never be afraid to do this .. for he is LIFE and will always lead us further into Life .

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i think in honesty ..what your mean is you hope to be given the Answer that is pleasing to you regardless of the word of God .you have predetermined i your heart what you desire according to your own will and now want a justification for going your own way . as others have asked .. Is the holy Spirit telling you to do so ? have your acknowledge him it it ?
some say to self justify ..it may be a good opportunity to share the gospel .. do you do so daily in every situation you can ?..do you take the opportunities you already have ? if not .then there is no reason you will do so in that practice either .

time to get real with God ..he does not look on the outer appearance but searched the heart .. he know the true motive. so we COME to the light that our deeds may be exposed whether they are of god or not . ..never be afraid to do this .. for he is LIFE and will always lead us further into Life .
Don't judge me. You have no idea what's in my mind or heart.

Reactions: greenguzzi
Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
(Mixed Martial Arts).Is it a sin?

All I can say is can you love someone you are beating to a bloody pulp? Does your temper flare? Matthew:5:22: "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes.
Cos its occult didnt you know? The funeral of the guy who committed suicide, who was related to my friend, he was into tae kwon do and earned a black belt. Didnt save him one bit.

Stay away from it is my advice, and dont look to its philosophies which are in vain.

• Agree
Reactions: masmpg
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

real tree

Feb 17, 2017
USA
✟2,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes.
Cos its occult didnt you know? The funeral of the guy who committed suicide, who was related to my friend, he was into tae kwon do and earned a black belt. Didnt save him one bit.

Stay away from it is my advice, and dont look to its philosophies which are in vain.
How is it of the occult.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I can say is can you love someone you are beating to a bloody pulp? Does your temper flare? Matthew:5:22: "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."
Actually the best fighters do not allow temper to flare because it clouds good judgement. The very best fighters, while being emotionally engaged towards winning the competition, are not personally engaged against their combatant. I have observed a number of guys who are close friends outside the ring dealing to one another very severely, in the spirit of the competition while engaged in a fight.
Furthermore I have observed in my own life that when men engage one another in this way the respect between them (and this goes both ways between a noble looser and a dignified winner) only increases.

Upvote 0