Is Homosexuality a sinful act according to the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbm611973

Sep 3, 2008
Missouri
✟7,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I request as rules for this thread that only straight/heterosexual Christians answer this question only using the Bible as their reference.
My reasoning is because a "Homosexual Christian" will feel the need to defend themselves and may find cause in this question to be offensive where it is not intended.
I ask that it be straight from the Bible because anything in the Bible can be changed if using a source other than the Bible.

BIBLE ANSWERS ONLY. (Provided with explanation).

My question again is:
Is Homosexuality a sinful act according to the Bible?
If yes, please explain Biblically your answer.
If no, please explain Biblically your answer.

This is not a hate thread. This is not an argument thread.
This is strictly a question and answer thread.

**If this is not the proper location for this thread I humbly request that it be moved to the correct section. Thank you.

Yes....Lev.18:22
Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman that is detestable. Prostitution and sodomy were done in pagan temples. Sinfulness keeps a person from God.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with this statement, that is why we must understand what is sin and what is not.
[/CENTER]

That's right. And God's Word points out specific homosexual ACTS, not homosexuality, as the act of disobedience. Likewise, His Word points out specific heterosexual ACTS, not heterosexuality, as the act of disobedience.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's right. And God's Word points out specific homosexual ACTS, not homosexuality, as the act of disobedience. Likewise, His Word points out specific heterosexual ACTS, not heterosexuality, as the act of disobedience.

Yes, exactly. The bible points out specific acts as Sin. Some of those acts are homosexual in nature, some are heterosexual, but most deal with other ethical issues entirely (theft and violence, to name two of the more obvious ones).

Likewise, some of the acts it describes are single specific acts, and others are simply examples of a more general type of sinful activity. Discerning which is which is not always easy. That is why we must study the Bible, comparing Scripture with Scripture. And trust in the guidance of the Holy Spirit to help us in our discernment.

Upvote 0

KingJames1002

Aug 28, 2006
Long lsland, ny
✟7,682.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
first, I would like to add the fact
The word homosexual was not in the original bible. it was the Greek word for prostitute. The word homosexual was not penned until 1839 by an English writer. therefore was not in the original bible.

Second, I think the christian community has a lack of understanding towards gay people. It seems that alot of our brothers are being intolerant towards them.

Last, Are we, as Christians supposed to love the sinner, but hate the sin.

This debate will always go on forever only if some groups will be more tolerant and see that their only human.

God=Love

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
first, I would like to add the fact
The word homosexual was not in the original bible. it was the Greek word for prostitute. The word homosexual was not penned until 1839 by an English writer. therefore was not in the original bible.

Second, I think the christian community has a lack of understanding towards gay people. It seems that alot of our brothers are being intolerant towards them.

Last, Are we, as Christians supposed to love the sinner, but hate the sin.

This debate will always go on forever only if some groups will be more tolerant and see that their only human.

God=Love

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see how being tolerant changes whether or not something is a sin.

Upvote 0

KingJames1002

Aug 28, 2006
Long lsland, ny
✟7,682.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
being tolerant has every thing about it. Jesus said love your enemies even the sinner himself. but it's the sin we have to hate. but do not hate the sinner because he sinned.

So stop stereotyping.
GOD=Love

Hate is more satan's realm. we don't want that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
being tolerant has every thing about it. Jesus said love your enemies even the sinner himself. but it's the sin we have to hate. but do not hate the sinner because he sinned.

So stop stereotyping.
GOD=Love

Again. What does that have to do with tolerance? If I'm tolerant of the homosexual offender, does it lessen his sin?

Hate is more satan's realm. we don't want that.

How is it hateful to call sin what it is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, but hating him because he's gay makes you equal as a fool as him.

Who expressed hate for someone because he's gay?:confused:

again, Love your enemies! Hate the sin in general.

pray for them, don't judge, Let god handle them.

I can righteously judge sin as sin.

As my father always said...

"Let go and let god"

Whats that got to do with calling sin sin?:confused:

Upvote 0

KingJames1002

Aug 28, 2006
Long lsland, ny
✟7,682.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sin is anything that goes against God's Order.

sorry to post again but. It's not your responsibility to judge. Yes it's a sin, but it's not peoples place to quickly condemn them to hell. God is gods order. It's not the people to place judgment on man.

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone!"

adding on:

The people who hate gays are fools along with the gays.( i meant)

Alot of Christians don't like homosexuals.

again

"Love your enemies"

hate the sin.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
sorry to post again but. It's not your responsibility to judge. Yes it's a sin, but it's not peoples place to quickly condemn them to hell. God is gods order. It's not the people to place judgment on man.

Who condemned anyone to hell?:confused: What are you talking about?:confused:

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone!"

That's a prohibition on unrighteous judgment. God's Word doesn't have anything against righteous judgment.

adding on:

The people who hate gays are fools along with the gays.( i meant)

Alot of Christians don't like homosexuals.

I would venture that most Christians love homosexuals and want them to live a life in victory of sin just as they want for themselves.

again

"Love your enemies"

hate the sin.
[/QUOTE]

Who has expressed any hate for anyone? Since when are homosexuals our enemies?

Ill pray for you.

you will get what i am saying one day.

peace be with you all.

I hope so.:)

Upvote 0

KingJames1002

Aug 28, 2006
Long lsland, ny
✟7,682.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Back.
There is no difference between unrighteous judgment and righteous judgment. righteous judgment can seem to be unrighteous. Like burning pagans and witches at the stakes.(which should of never happen in the name of god) it's unrighteous, but it did not seemed though back then. it was god's plan back then, but it's not right now.

you see, different times. different persecutions.

I agree most christian love gays but their are groups out there that hate the hell out of them. like those guys down in SAN Fransisco at battlecry.com. I just pray to god to stop the fighting out there. (and get the heck out)

p.s now our very christian goverment are hellbent in persecuting Muslims, why?
that's seems righteous!(sarcasm)
see the connection between my analogy on pagans and Muslims.
sorry for my ramblings.
continue on the debate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Back.
There is no difference between unrighteous judgment and righteous judgment.

Now you know that just grammatically isn't true. And it isn't true definition wise either. And it most certainly isn't true Biblically.

righteous judgment can seem to be unrighteous

It can seem to be anything. That doesn't make it so. It's either righteous or its not.:)

Like burning pagans and witches at the stakes.(which should of never happen in the name of god) it's unrighteous, but it did not seemed though back then. it was god's plan back then, but it's not right now.

you see, different times. different persecutions.

Black or white. No gray. It either is righteous or its not. Moral Right doesn't change to unright over time.

I agree most christian love gays but their are groups out there that hate the hell out of them. like those guys down in SAN Fransisco at battlecry.com. I just pray to god to stop the fighting out there. (and get the heck out)

p.s now our very christian goverment are hellbent in persecuting Muslims, why?
that's seems righteous!(sarcasm)
see the connection between my analogy on pagans and Muslims.
sorry for my ramblings.
continue on the debate.

The Christians I know love Muslims. We love them so much that we want them to come to a loving faith and Jesus Christ so that they may be with Him for eternity, and not in hell.:)

Upvote 0

BrotherAtArms

Jul 28, 2005
✟17,086.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK people, this isn't a debate/argument thread, let's stick to the topic please.

I like that hating the sin and not the sinner was posted, and it's also important to note that we can judge our brothers and sister in Christ because how else are we supposed to correct one another of their faults?

However, the question is is homosexuality sinful, being a homosexual, acting homosexual, etc.. That's the question, and I believe that if we come to the conclusion of yes or no, it will help us more so understand how to confront this issue in a loving manner. That's really what I want to accomplish here.

So far, I've learned a new perspective. One who is homosexual may not be a sinner, but one that acts on the homosexuality (lust, fornication) is sinful. This idea that a homosexual is tempted to lust or engage in sexual relations with the same sex fascinates me.
I haven't written it in stone on my heart or anything like that, but I am playing with this idea and giving it more consideration and thought.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So far, I've learned a new perspective. One who is homosexual may not be a sinner, but one that acts on the homosexuality (lust, fornication) is sinful. This idea that a homosexual is tempted to lust or engage in sexual relations with the same sex fascinates me.
I haven't written it in stone on my heart or anything like that, but I am playing with this idea and giving it more consideration and thought.

Careful with that. We wouldn't want people thinking that there is someone out there other than Christ who did not sin.:)

Perhaps better stated that identifying as a homosexual does not mean that the person is involved in committing sinful homosexual acts.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Oliefranz,
Exactly my point. The Bible does not say "homosexual acts are sinful."
No its not your point, my point is the Bible tells us same sex acts are sinful which is homosexual acts. My point is your concept and term homosexual acts is sinful, the Bible simply doesn’t mention your concept in your terms. .

That is not at all what I said. The examples that the Bible gives of sin are sin. The examples themselves are not inconclusive.
If the examples the Bible gives of sin are sin, they are conclusive.

Whether or not the word rape is used, the mob was not friendly, and they were not going to take "No" for an answer. The only way you can claim that it was not rape is to assume they were only flirting.
Then you are basing your assumption on what isn’t even written, hence your error. Sorry but you used the word rape, the word ‘rape’ is not used and the word translated is yada which means to know/ to know carnally.

And how do you get around the fact that in Gibeah, the situation was identical, including the call to "yada" the strangers, and what happened to the concubine was clearly rape and murder?
But the words are yada and ‘alal. Yada means to know, the act to know men was pronounced wicked and the acts to know women wasnt. Its not about rape but about same sex acts.

I'd like to comment on this, but I have no idea what you are claiming here.
I asked the question of your contradiction.

In 1 Corinthians 6 and in 1 Timothy 1, Paul refers to sinners he calls "arsenokoitai." This is one form of sin, and would appear to be homosexual in nature.
yes it would indeed.

Romans 1:26-27, Paul is quoting a famous passage about a situation that the Greek philosophers recognized as "para physin," a phrase that would be in this context an equivalent of calling it sin. This is another form of sin.
Which is of course your opinion and contrary to what is written. Paul might be using a thinking that philosophers thought and explaining it in the same way but he is describing what God has made clear. Good for those philosophers. The fact is same sex acts are error and they are un-natural because God created man and woman to be together.

No all Christians realize that they are only counted as righteous because they are "washed in the Blood." But some Christians fail to realize that in all three Pauline passages, the list of sins is given, not to use to judge one another, but to point out to each of us that no one measures up on his own.
Then some Christians obviously by their own admission, not others judgement, don’t measure up.

Your James 2 reference, if you don’t recognise the whole law why refer to it?
Your reference to Matthew 7, If the beam in my eye is restoring a brother from sin (Galatians 6) that makes the law of Christ a sin. Did Jesus judge the women caught in adultery of sin? Romans 1 lays out the sins, I have no argument with them, if you are saying one sin isn’t a sin then I am not judging you, you are judging Jesus NT teaching and guilty of judging me.

As to lack of consent please show the verses where consent is the issue.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK people, this isn't a debate/argument thread, let's stick to the topic please.

I had written out my next post last night as promised, but when I hit "send" I discovered that I could not connect to the site. Perhaps it is just as well, in light of your request above. Although I try to be civil, many of my posts generate contentious responses. The last time I tried to examine Romans 1:18-2:29 (which was the subject of my lost response), I spent three days answering indignant responses after each post of substance. Since you do not want this thread to be a battleground, I'll just step out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.