Is God really all-loving?

Jan 7, 2017
San Diego
✟15,910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, quick background: agnostic, want to understand Christianity a bit better. My current understanding is limited to that which I got from christian friends and media, forgive any and all misconceptions that I have.

I have two question right now:
1) God gave us free will, but then followed up by basically saying "if you don't follow me, you go to hell", which is kind of the equivalent of saying "your choice, but only if you make the right choice". How is this fair?
2a) I do not understand the differnece between repentance and just acknowledging a fault. Say a christian experiences an outburst of emotion, experiences guilt, prays, apologizes to the person the outburst was directed at, and make mental note to keep emotions in check (is this a good example of repentance?). Now an atheist does the same, without the praying. Both of these people continue to do the same thing, both grow up and become better and better people, but in the end, (I assume), the atheist goes to hell, and the christian goes to heaven. Why?
2b) Also, I fail to understand why several thousand years after Adam and Eve ate the apple, I still retain inherent sin from that, and have to repent. That's like saying that the grandson of Hitler has to apologize every day just because he's hitler's grandson. It just seems more petty than all-loving. Please explain?

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was belittling Christianity in any way. I have great respect for the central message of love, but I just fail to see why the spiritual aspect is necessary for me to get into heaven (assuming I believe in heaven, which I currently am uncertain about). Why do I go to hell, even if I were to live following all the moral rules of the Bible just because I don't acknowledge god?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Compared to Life with Who we can't see because of unbelief and passion, by means of which we bury ourselves within the abyss of spiritual death and darkness, our life is hell without our realizing it. This will become obvious to all when all are brought before the Light.

Upvote 0

gentlejah

Jan 4, 2017
Ontario
✟17,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well you say you are agnostic so what that tells me is you are an intellectually honest person. Probably more so than many many Christians and atheists alike because your answer to these questions is "I don't know." That's the only honest position to take when it comes to such questions as, 'what happens when we die?" Nobody knows.

So anyone following Jesus hoping to gain heaven and avoid hell is only doing so for selfish motivations and out of fear and I don't see any point in that.

That can't be the starting point because it's purely survival and ego based. It has to start from a position of love and selfless love doesn't care about gain and loss.

It isn't about what's in it for me. The only real reason imo to follow Jesus is because you love him that much and the more you know about him the more you will love him. Nobody can demand you love them, that's silly and as you know psychologically impossible. Love me or I will kill you! Love me or I will throw you in hell! How ridiculous. Obviously that's not God,

We can quote the Bible all day long and you will be lucky to get two people to agree on a single aspect.

The starting point is Jesus, penetrating his meaning,his mysteries and love.Most people are so familiar with his words in our culture we almost don't hear or see him anymore. It's been preached wrong over and over to the point it's been dulled down as well as spoofed in movies for decades. Our values are Judaeo Christian so on the surface it can be hard to really see and feel how much of a gap there is between Him and us. For these reasons He can be hard to perceive.

I don't even see the point in asking oneself over and over, do I believe this or that. You can't force yourself to believe anything anymore than you can force yourself to love. It comes down to the more you know about Jesus the more you love Him and with that kind of love there is no fear. I don't think about concepts like heaven and hell because I have enough here now with Jesus.

So there is certainly nothing wrong with being agnostic as you know. It's all part of your path, it's honest and where you are at now. Stay honest, stay true to yourself and you will find all the answers you need. The worst thing you could do as you said would be to start faking it. I'm sure many will disagree but there is no way that will lead you to hell or anything of the sort.

I'm not knocking anyone else's path here either we all have to go our own way but many people believe in a very cruel God that I don't. I read the Bible all the time and come to different conclusions like I said we all do. Your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's.

If you want to know Jesus you can. It might take you five minutes or twenty years I couldn't say but He is there and there is absolutely nothing to fear.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2017
San Diego
✟15,910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well you say you are agnostic so what that tells me is you are an intellectually honest person. Probably more so than many many Christians and atheists alike because your answer to these questions is "I don't know." That's the only honest position to take when it comes to such questions as, 'what happens when we die?" Nobody knows.

So anyone following Jesus hoping to gain heaven and avoid hell is only doing so for selfish motivations and out of fear and I don't see any point in that.

That can't be the starting point because it's purely survival and ego based. It has to start from a position of love and selfless love doesn't care about gain and loss.

It isn't about what's in it for me. The only real reason imo to follow Jesus is because you love him that much and the more you know about him the more you will love him. Nobody can demand you love them, that's silly and as you know psychologically impossible. Love me or I will kill you! Love me or I will throw you in hell! How ridiculous. Obviously that's not God,

We can quote the Bible all day long and you will be lucky to get two people to agree on a single aspect.

The starting point is Jesus, penetrating his meaning,his mysteries and love.Most people are so familiar with his words in our culture we almost don't hear or see him anymore. It's been preached wrong over and over to the point it's been dulled down as well as spoofed in movies for decades. Our values are Judaeo Christian so on the surface it can be hard to really see and feel how much of a gap there is between Him and us. For these reasons He can be hard to perceive.

I don't even see the point in asking oneself over and over, do I believe this or that. You can't force yourself to believe anything anymore than you can force yourself to love. It comes down to the more you know about Jesus the more you love Him and with that kind of love there is no fear. I don't think about concepts like heaven and hell because I have enough here now with Jesus.

So there is certainly nothing wrong with being agnostic as you know. It's all part of your path, it's honest and where you are at now. Stay honest, stay true to yourself and you will find all the answers you need. The worst thing you could do as you said would be to start faking it. I'm sure many will disagree but there is no way that will lead you to hell or anything of the sort.

I'm not knocking anyone else's path here either we all have to go our own way but many people believe in a very cruel God that I don't. I read the Bible all the time and come to different conclusions like I said we all do. Your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's.

If you want to know Jesus you can. It might take you five minutes or twenty years I couldn't say but He is there and there is absolutely nothing to fear.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Ah this was quite a pleasantly refreshing reply, thank you very much. I will ruminate on what you've said.

I don't have a hard time seeing how many Christians would disagree with this haha

• Friendly
Reactions: gentlejah
Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,803.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
*Sorry for writing so much, but I think your questions will be answered after reading this God willing.*

Extremely happy that you asked those questions, I wanted to reply on the previous thread but I will start with this one.

God created humans to live and enjoy life, and clearly there is a higher purpose of creating human beings that we don't know, but the visible purpose to us *was* "live life to the fullest" physically, now it changed, it became spiritually... sometimes we devalue the human being by picturing it as a mice in a maze, where it has to take the right path or get lost, probably that's not the case, we are much higher than that, God created us in his image... what does that mean? It means that we are "Standalone" entities, and there are other "Standalone" entities that exist, as Angels, and God.

Good and Evil are the rules of our life, those rules *existed* alongside God, evil didn't start when Satan opposed God, it was even there before Satan himself, and that means that Angels have decisions too as humans, it is just that there decisions are different from ours since they have different properties than us.

God created humans in this environment, all what we knew about good and evil was those fruits are good, those fruits are not, eat those, eat not those, but... they broke the rule, and ate from the tree, not because Satan pushed it into their mouths, but because Eve was persuaded by Satan's reasoning, Satan's reasoning overcame her love toward her creator, instead of taking the time to look at her life and acknowledge that she is satisfied with what she has, she wanted to be like God... it is like if you make a Robot and provide it with all it needs, yet it still wants more so it decided to defy your rules and attack you, probably you wouldn't be interested in this Robot anymore, if it was me, I would break it into pieces, but... God didn't, he excluded us from his presence, and regretted creating us... see? God also regrets... he changes his will toward us when we pray...

Why do we have to take the yoke of their sin on us? Because by sinning they switched sides, from good to evil, and we were born from them on the evil side until we commit to God, and seek to be back to the good side, Hitler's sin is partial, it is partial from Adam & Eve's sin, his descendants would sin differently but still, they would sin, because? Our very first ancestors took us to that path, as if we were in a train and they are the drivers, they changed routes, taking the whole sequence of humanity into damnation, but God is merciful and he gave the way out, and it is his son (his representation on earth).

Why doesn't it look fair? It is because on the side of good, we found one entity, GOD (and the good angels), on the side of evil, we found the fallen angels in hell, so it became a choice between TWO sides, one side looks wonderful, one side looks horrible, yet, it is not a matter of a YES/NO question, it is a matter of what your actions represent, do your actions represent Good or Evil?

Serial killers find it okay to kill, hence they don't find evil as horrible, they find it reasonable, here comes the choice, if someone already doesn't care about others salvation and find evil normal, then let him complete his life with what he chose, but if he changes, his POV of killing changes completely, he hates his past character, and he seeks to do good to be forgiven of his past, as Apostle Paul, that's repentance, the idea is that, if this serial killer had killed my father and yet he is now a follower of Christ, should I be happy for him or find it unfair? Well, I should be happy, since the old killer was crucified with Christ, and now we have a new being, a new character that is ready to sacrifice for me. (As St. Paul did to the church)

No one that claims to be a Christian yet hates others will be saved (unless he experiences a change), and no one who loves others wholeheartedly will perish, read Romans 2:14, what do you do in life? Do you love others? Do you accept them for whoever they are? Do you *care* about others? Then God won't let you perish... seek "goodness" and "goodness" will bring you to itself.

Only those who imitate Christ will be saved, whether Christian or not, read Matthew 25:31-49, and also Matthew 7:21-23

But why should I follow God and pray if that's the case? First of all if you study history of Judaism and the Torah itself and then the life of Jesus Christ you will see how he was prophesied accurately, and how everything makes sense and leads to him as a supernatural being, when you come to that knowledge it will be impossible to reject it, it is like finding the lost part of the puzzle, of course you would fit it in to see the whole picture.

From personal experience, and I don't obligate you to trust me, but that's what happens to me, thanks God my prayers are heard, so I find prayers to work, however they work under some rules.

*i removed this part since it's irrelevant to the topic, ask me if you want me to rewrite*

Remember, those tens of years you live here are not what matters, the infinite life with God is what matters, it is like a 1 hour test to a life full of success. :) May God lead you to him, pray to him to reveal himself to you with a humble heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, quick background: agnostic, want to understand Christianity a bit better. My current understanding is limited to that which I got from christian friends and media, forgive any and all misconceptions that I have.
This will be helpful to you: Adonai Reigns : The Gospel
1) God gave us free will, but then followed up by basically saying "if you don't follow me, you go to hell", which is kind of the equivalent of saying "your choice, but only if you make the right choice". How is this fair?
Sin is a selfish thing that we do, that has a negative impact on others, or on paradise. People who like to sin and destroy paradise or harm others, cannot contribute to sustain paradise. Yet, it is not really evident whether a person who is sinning is of this nature until they come to understand that their sin is wrong, and then consciously choose to be selfish. Sometimes we might just become accustomed to sin because our culture fails to teach us sufficient objective morality. In which case, a person who later comes to understand their sin, might very well be remorseful - demonstrating that they really are not so selfish to consciously cause harm. Not everyone is so charitable though, and because of their history of conscious sin, their conscience does not permit them to enter righteous company.
2a) I do not understand the differnece between repentance and just acknowledging a fault. Say a christian experiences an outburst of emotion, experiences guilt, prays, apologizes to the person the outburst was directed at, and make mental note to keep emotions in check (is this a good example of repentance?).
Yes, exactly! Repentance is the decision to do right instead of wrong, when we learn that what we have done or are doing, is wrong. Repentance always includes remorse and improved behaviour, and sometimes remediation if we have caused some loss to an innocent person.
Now an atheist does the same, without the praying. Both of these people continue to do the same thing, both grow up and become better and better people, but in the end, (I assume), the atheist goes to hell, and the christian goes to heaven. Why?
God wants our love, and He wants to love us. He is patient and He suffers while we continue to believe that He is made-up. But the sorts of things that atheists say about God, and the ideas of doubt that this puts in the minds of others and leads them away from Him.. and atheists can end up being very nasty, unfair and unkind - really being aggressively against Him when He doesn't deserve it at all! Even though it doesn't seem real to the atheist because they have chosen to believe that God is not real; from God's perspective, they really are hurting Him and hurting others, and making it harder for the world to recognise Him as the loving God who wants to heal us and help us to have paradise again. This is something that an atheist does need to repent of, to seek out the true knowledge of God, (who is love), and to acknowledge that He is good and right.
2b) Also, I fail to understand why several thousand years after Adam and Eve ate the apple, I still retain inherent sin from that, and have to repent. That's like saying that the grandson of Hitler has to apologize every day just because he's hitler's grandson. It just seems more petty than all-loving. Please explain?
You and I are born into a world that teaches us to be sinful. Even if we do really want to always do good, we are born disadvantaged because almost nobody in the world supports us to live a holy way. The inherited sin that Romans 5:12 mentions, is not a genetic change, but a social change.
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was belittling Christianity in any way. I have great respect for the central message of love, but I just fail to see why the spiritual aspect is necessary for me to get into heaven. Why do I go to hell, even if I were to live following all the moral rules of the Bible just because I don't acknowledge god?
Christianity teaches that we either will be a slave to sin, or a slave to obedience. If you are of the sort that always recognises the truth of moral judgement in your conversations, as it applies to you, and choosing to repent so that you are always living with good moral conscience, then it is only a matter of time until you come to recognise that it is The Holy Spirit that is teaching you. Jesus was the perfect vessel for The Holy Spirit, and He said "I am the way, the truth and the life". We Christians are expected to grow more and more into effective vessels for The Holy Spirit, so that eventually we too are able to speak with the same authority as Jesus did, as we speak on behalf of God.

But you are young, and you shouldn't get loaded down with beliefs. Keep seeking good answers to your questions, keep repenting, and eventually you will find the truth in Christianity, and a wonderful relationship with God :)

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Very true about fear being the motivation for certain Christians striving to lead a Christian life. The problem is that at the core of such a modus operandi the individual harbors a repressed resentment against being antagonized into obedience. Strong emotions that are repressed tend to emerge in indirect ways. In this case it can occur whenever such a person's faith is put to the test via a need for patience and/or forgiveness. Then all that resentment might be directed towards a human target leaving observers baffled concerning what actually happened to such an otherwise holy man. In short, the person with fear of destruction or of hell as a motive for trying to be a Christian remains essentially spiritually immature until and if he adopts the right motive which is love of God and love of righteousness.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(My comments to the original post below.)
... the more you know about him the more you will love him.

... The starting point is Jesus, ... Most people are so familiar with his words in our culture we almost don't hear or see him anymore. It's been preached wrong over and over to the point it's been dulled down as well as spoofed in movies for decades. Our values are Judaeo Christian so on the surface it can be hard to really see and feel how much of a gap there is between Him and us. For these reasons He can be hard to perceive.
I believe all this is true.
Choose to obey Jesus with an attitude of hoping he is real, wanting to receive what He has offered, and without an attitude to test him. If you follow God this way, he will grant genuine belief. The "imitation of Christ" is what we all should be doing, because God commanded it with all kinds of promises along with it (when doing it from your heart, which is part of what he grants in response to doing the best you can to being obedient to him).
There is something wrong with being agnostic in regard to one's eternal condition. What is good is for a person to be honest about themselves, as well as not being self-condemning.

It would be a good idea to try to forget everything you've ever heard from secular media. The only way for you to know the truth is to seek God for it. I recommend reading the Bible and asking God to (1) give you confidence that it is the words he wants us to have and (2) ask lots of questions to people who have suffered long-term for holding onto the truth about God, because it is to these people God has granted to know him the most quickly over time (and as a result understand the Bible more quickly). The primary responsibility of other Christians, including pastors, is to help you connect directly with God in such a way that in the long-term you will be able to help others the same way.
2a) I do not understand the differnece between repentance and just acknowledging a fault. Say a christian experiences an outburst of emotion, experiences guilt, prays, apologizes to the person the outburst was directed at, and make mental note to keep emotions in check (is this a good example of repentance?). Now an atheist does the same, without the praying. Both of these people continue to do the same thing, both grow up and become better and better people, but in the end, (I assume), the atheist goes to hell, and the christian goes to heaven. Why?
This is a rather technical question, so I have implied my answer with other things I have written below. I don't mind writing it up more directly so you can understand it, but won't unless you want me to.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was belittling Christianity in any way. I have great respect for the central message of love, but I just fail to see why the spiritual aspect is necessary for me to get into heaven (assuming I believe in heaven, which I currently am uncertain about). Why do I go to hell, even if I were to live following all the moral rules of the Bible just because I don't acknowledge god?
God is holding people accountable only for their sins. You don't have to repent of anyone's sin but your own. It is easier to understand your connection to Adam by understanding what has happened more fully.

God wanted to create beings like himself—with freewill and with a relational nature. He did so, creating Adam then Eve with a real connection to God that was a part of their nature, just like God had within himself (his Triune nature).

However, God did not permit people to violate his commands—of which there was only one: do not eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. And God told Adam that if he did, he would be rejecting God and cut off the connection he had with God. Adam could eat any other fruit—and actually do anything else he wanted to—without sinning.

Without the command, Adam would not have had moral free will. If one can do no wrong, there is no ability to choose between right and wrong. However, Adam chose to reject God with the full knowledge that he was rejecting God. This cut his connection to God and Adam's nature was changed to one without that connection. With God there is freedom, but with sin, there is only slavery. Adam became a slave to sin. The nature of sin is such that nothing tainted with sin can be cleansed of that sin. It cannot be washed away. It's fate is always (sooner or later) self-destruction. The closest image we have of (invisible) sin is bodily death. ("death" for a being without a physical body is the lake of fire [often referred to as hell]) Adam and Eve could only give birth to children with their nature. As a result, they and all humans since have been born with that taint of sin—with a sinful nature (along characteristics of God in whose image Adam and Eve were made).

So, not only does a person need to be forgiven by God, he or she needs a way to fix the problem that she is separated from God due to the presence of her sinful nature. Bodily death does not alter this. God's solution is that to those who are willing to return to being connected to God (which includes accepting him as their god) is that before they see him face-to-face tainted with sin (which would destroy them), he will (without them deserving it) cause them to be reborn (in spirit)—but the individual will retain some aspects of who they were (e.g., their memories). The core of this new person (their spirit) is no longer one of Adam's descendants, she is descended from God. Her body is passing away and must die because it still has the sinful nature, but she herself, having been reborn (sometimes ambiguously referred to as having been cleansed) will live, and God will eventually give her a new body.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Not all Christians believe in one, the other, or either of these propositions. For example as a Lutheran I don't believe that human beings have the free will to choose God, in Lutheran theology the human will is not truly free, but is limited, and bound, and yoked to human sin. Further, I don't believe in "get it right or go to hell", that isn't how I understand Christianity, nor is it an accurate assessment of the problem of hell. But to discuss those matters properly would likely require their own topic.

But, in short: It's not about "follow me or go to hell"; I neither believe that Christianity is about getting our religious or theological t's crossed properly, or that hell is what happens to those who happened to lose the ideological or religious lottery by not picking the right numbers in life.

In the Greek of the New Testament the word rendered as "repentance" is metanoia, in the most mundane sense it can just mean a "change of mind", but it probably more accurately reflects the idea of changing one's way of thinking and going about things another way. For example in the beginning of the Gospel of Mark Jesus is presented as preaching, "The kingdom of God is near, repent and believe the good news!" It may be easy to simply imagine that Jesus is saying, "feel sorry about your sin" or "try not to sin again" but that's not really what it means. We have another instance of this kind of language in the case of the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus who, though a Jew, served in the Roman military; when coming upon a Zealot (a Jewish freedom fighter) Josephus said to him, "repent, and follow me". Josephus did not mean "feel sorry for you sin and treat me like a guru" but instead, "stop, change the way you think about the world, and do things my way". So when Jesus says, "repent, and believe the good news" He is inviting people into having a new way of thinking, one that is reflected in the idea of God's kingdom, God's reign.

In Christian theology, broadly speaking, repentance does carry with it the notion of remorse over one's sin; but repentance is ultimately a process, a way of life, in Christianity; and while some would argue that implicit is moral self-improvement (but, again, as a Lutheran, I would take issue with that notion), what it's really about is the deep recognition of our failure to be the just people that God says we ought to be, where His law says we should love our neighbor, we don't love our neighbor; and that in ourselves there is despair and hopelessness--repentance therefore crucifies our ego and our pride and compels us to cling, in faith, to Jesus Christ, His cross, and the mercy of God. In the Penitential Rite, part of the traditional liturgical service in Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran (etc) churches, we pray a corporate prayer such as the following:

"Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved You with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and earnestly repent. For the sake of Your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in Your will, and walk in Your ways, to the glory of Your Name. Amen." - Taken from the Book of Common Prayer

Further: repentance neither gets a Christian or an atheist into "heaven". Salvation isn't a moralistic enterprise.

As I noted earlier, it's not about being on the right team, or having one's religious t's crossed and i's dotted, it's also not about having the right feelings, or performing the right actions, it's not about trying to be as good a person as we possibly can.

The core Christian message is this: God is, in Christ, redeeming, reconciling, rescuing, and restoring the world. That's God's work, that is the reason why the Messiah came. Jesus is the means by which God is taking a world of sin, death, suffering, and violence and bringing it into Himself, and ultimately bringing it into complete wholeness. Our individual salvation is not about making the right choices or performing the right actions, or having the right religion; it's about what God has done, and is doing, and will do--and our participation in it. The Christian is one who, having been born of God through Baptism has been united to Christ and therefore has hope in Christ, not in themselves, not in their efforts, not in their having chosen the right team; but confesses trust and hope in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, that He is the Christ, through and in and by whom God has, is, and will bring about the complete rescue of all creation.

This is why the Christian hope is not to go to a place called heaven after we die (though, many have been confused on this point), but instead look forward to the resurrection of the dead, of the body, and the everlasting life right here on this good, green world; after the conclusion and consummation of history, in the age which is to come when God has made all things new.

It's not about "going to heaven" and/or "not going to hell"; it's about the divine rescue operation of God, in Jesus, for the whole of creation. It's not "Christians go to heaven" and "everyone else goes to hell"; it's about God, in Jesus, rescuing and redeeming the whole of creation. For one, I do not believe "hell" is a "place" of eternal torture, nor do I believe that "hell" is really a "place" at all; and further I do not believe that there will be anyone "in hell" who does not truly, sincerely, and consciously choose to be "there". No one goes to hell by accident, nobody goes to hell because they chose the wrong religious team in this life. If I was to give a short description of hell, according to my current theological positions, it would be: Hell is what happens when a person deliberately, consciously, and explicitly refuses to be part of what God is doing for the whole of creation, it is what happens when a person chooses to forever identify with this present world that is falling away and refuses to ever have their identity in that new, future world. It may be, that from the vantage point of the person in Hell that it isn't quite so bad, it may not seem very much different than the kind of life they had here; but it remains a bleak, grey, vanishing of oneself into oneself.

In his book, The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis describes hell as an immensely expansive, but sparsely populated, dull grey city where the inhabitants live out their forever receiving everything they could ever want. They must merely think it and it is theirs, food, pleasures, anything. They also all choose to live as remote and far from one another as possible, there can be no room for community here, no room for others, no place to welcome someone who isn't me. Hell, in Lewis' envisioning, is the infinitesimally small and paradoxically wide expanse of where there remains nothing but myself for myself. It's all about me, getting what I want, having everything as I want it, without anyone else getting in my way. That's Hell.

Short answer: According to the classic understanding of Original Sin you're not guilty for Adam and Eve's sin, your guilty of your own sins. Original Sin refers to the original sin, and because of that sin, we are all born with the inherent propensity toward sin, what Western theologians call Concupiscence, the inward, selfish desire. As a Lutheran I also like Luther's phrasing, "Homo incurvatus in se", Latin for "man, curved inward upon himself". You don't have to answer for Adam and Eve's sin(s), just your own. Original Sin isn't about you being condemned for someone else's faults, it's an attempt at understanding, in the context of the Genesis story, the deep and universal problem of human sin.

Hopefully I've offered some ideas that you may not have encountered before. What is helpful to understand is that Christianity is a fairly large tent, and also because certain ideas tend to be more popular, or popularly voiced, in contemporary society and culture one may often not encounter what else is out there. The ideas I've articulated, if they seem foreign, really aren't that foreign, but are firmly within the mainstream of Christian thought; they just might not be what is often popularly voiced today depending on where you live.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Very true about fear being the motivation for certain Christians striving to lead a Christian life. The problem is that at the core of such a modus operandi the individual harbors a repressed resentment against being antagonized into obedience. Strong emotions that are repressed tend to emerge in indirect ways. In this case it can occur whenever such a person's faith is put to the test via a need for patience and/or forgiveness. Then all that resentment might be directed towards a human target leaving observers baffled concerning what actually happened to such an otherwise holy man. In short, the person with fear of destruction or of hell as a motive for trying to be a Christian remains essentially spiritually immature until and if he adopts the right motive which is love of God and love of righteousness.

I will never attain this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you do not believe in God, then you believe there is no gun to your head to become a Christian would you?

The only time you “believe” the choice is accept and be showered with unbelievable wonderful gifts or reject and go to hell, is after you believe the Christian God exists and that believe alone can provide salvation (keeps you from going to hell). The “threat” of hell for the Christian does get you more interested in quickly further responding correctly, but hell is no worry if you’ve taken the first step.

You have to remember the “sin” is against God and really God alone. A Christian can repent (turn away from what he was doing and do good to others) without ever being able to go back to the person he/she injured. A Christian also acknowledges the fact he/she cannot personally control their emotions and need God’s help (the indwelling Holy Spirit’s help) to fill their lives with the positive and drive out the negative.

It is human nature not to want to hurt others (sin), but we are also selfish by nature (this is for good reason). We all do stuff that has hurt others in the past so how does the atheist turn that burden on their conscience around and make it positive and no longer a burden?

That concept is believed by some Christians but does not have Biblical support or is it something I believe.

Again hell is not there to help you, but was there to help me respond quickly to the message of Love and not just lay back like nothing would happen if I just procrastinated.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Those who are saying that a person can't come to God from a motive of fear need to examine what they are saying. The threat of hell has been used for 2000 years now; some people suffer all their lives from it. It seems like a monumental burden to put on someone, demanding that they find a repentance without that fear that was foisted upon them without them having any power to stop it.

Upvote 0

gentlejah

Jan 4, 2017
Ontario
✟17,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not a demand and people can do as they wish. I'm just saying it's not a genuine love if it's born out of fear. It's not psychologically possible to love someone who say's, "love me or I will kill you and throw you into hell."

If they want to approach Jesus that way they can but the closer they get to Him the more that fear will disappear in His love.

• Agree
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It's not a demand and people can do as they wish. I'm just saying it's not a genuine love if it's born out of fear. It's not psychologically possible to love someone who say's, "love me or I will kill you and throw you into hell."

If they want to approach Jesus that way they can but the closer they get to Him the more that fear will disappear in His love.

Then its definitely a presentation issue.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I show you two closed hands, and tell you: the right hand has diamonds in it and the left hand is empty. You make your choice. If you hit it, the diamonds are yours.

Why is this not a fair game?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually both hands have diamonds. The only people that don't get diamonds are those that think the game is unfair because it is someone else's game and refuse to play. (It's not a game, however. It is a real moral consequence.)

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
r?

One basic doctrine in Christianity is that individual human effort can NOT save himself. Salvation is based on grace, not on work.

This answered your question. But the real question remained: Why is it a basic doctrine? That should be an extended question.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Actually both hands have diamonds. The only people that don't get diamonds are those that think the game is unfair because it is someone else's game and refuse to play. (It's not a game, however. It is a real moral consequence.)

Yes, they refuse to play and think it is a scam.

Upvote 0