Is God endorsing polygamy in 2 Samuel 12:8?

Ann77

Jun 30, 2020
California
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone brought this verse up to me today. How do you interpret this?

2 Samuel 12:8
I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Looked at the commentaries It looks like Saul had only one wife and one concubine and David didnt married her. Some suggest that it just means David was responsible for them. Saul had given him Merab and then gave her to someone else. Maybe David did the same.

These say one wife -
"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." Gen 2
"And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?" Matt 19:5
"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh." Eph 5:31
"Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband." Eph 5:33
"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;' I Tim 3:2:Same for deacons v12
"If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly." Titus 1:6

Reactions: Ann77
Upvote 0

Ann77

Jun 30, 2020
California
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I've asked this question elsewhere and they all pretty much said God is ok with it, monogamy was enforced by law under Roman rule from which western society has inherited the idea. -- It wasn't just descriptive, there's nothing wrong with the practice and God was offering more women in the above verse.

I don't see how monogamy can just be a Roman idea. Why would God give us a template in Genesis of a perfect created order..

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly Looked up some Scriptures earlier on the process of getting married. First there was an agreement then later a ceremony.

"And what man is there that hath betrothed a wife, and hath not taken her? ..." Deu 20:7

Gen 2 and Eph 5:23 man leaves his father and mother then unites with his wife. Gen 24, Abraham sending his servant out for the purpose of getting God's choice of a bride for Isaac. This chapter includes the purpose being stated to her family, gifts, witnesses, and most importantly, the bride agreeing. Also, Samson In Judges 14 shows the agreement is first "And he came up, and told his father and his mother, and said, I have seen a woman in Timnath of the daughters of the Philistines: now therefore get her for me to wife." Also, betrothals were legally binding contracts and they were considered married. If broken, they had to get a divorce. Luke 1 states Mary was a virgin and espoused to Joseph. If they were sexually active, Joseph would not have considered putting her away. Matt 1

Once they were bethrothed, the groom returned to his father's house to prepare for his bride. Plus, the bride made herself ready (Rev 19:7). Their communication was through a friend of the bridegroom. Sometimes that designated friend and the bride ended up marrying as was Samson's case Judges 14.

Some other Scriptures such as:
'For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee." Isa 62:5

Some traditions are found in Scripture:
"And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel. For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself." Gen 24

Preparations for the ceremony:
-"...as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.' Isa 41:1
"Can a maid forget her ornaments, or a bride her attire? yet my people have forgotten me days without number." Jer 2:32
'"And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints." Rev 19:8

They didn't have a wedding ceremony until the groom's Father said it was time and it lasted 7 days.

We are Christ's bride (II Cor 11:2-3). Sure you can see - He wants His bride - whosoever will come to Him and accept Him as their Savior (Matt 10:32, I Pet 2:9), our price has been paid in full (Luk 24:46-47, Eph 5:25 John 10:11,19:30, Rev 5:9+), He is preparing a place for us (John 14:2-3), we are expecting Him to come (Rev 19:7, 22:17), He'll come back when the Father says the day and hour (Matt 24:36),, He'll return with His bridal party (Jer 13:9, I Thess 4:16-18, Matt 24:30-31) , and we'll have the marriage supper of the Lamb (Rev 19:9).

Upvote 0